Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Laser Barriers Just Annoying

NinjaTyr

How?, all I hear is -PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW [LAZER SOUNDS] PEW BOOOM EXPLOSION BEEP BEEP [LAZER] SCREAM PEW PEW PEW-

I cant hear anything but the guns.

Am I playing it wrong becuase I thought this was suposed to be a fast paced game not stop kill everyone then check the door, look for the camera, destroy camera, stop hack doors, clear next room, check the door for lazers, and so on?

First off, if you are killing stuff and they're exploding, then kill them all dead. THEN worry about finding cameras.

Secondly: What's the rush? There are very few missions with any sort of time limit, which I am glad for. I love going through every area and killing every enemy. More loot that way and more experience, and in my experience, more fun.

Finally: Your acting like a knowitall can't-be-wrong is not the way to go about this complaint, nor will it garner any positive attention towards you.

i find annoying the gates when they bug, i mean i take down the camera, but my team companion is on the other side of the map and a camera sights him and all the doors have laser barrier? or when they just wont dissaper until they hit you? or even when there are no cameras the laser barrier is up and just wont go awey.

Lol at this thread. Laser fields are pretty cool in this game even though annoying at first. Once you get use to where they are in the rooms you can literally shoot them while you run towards the door. No gameplay flow is broken. In some games it actually encourages teamwork or communication with other players when they are standing near a camera and keeping you from going on. Maybe also consider it a challenge instead of a hindrance? Lay some facts before you simply complain about a game design and expect it to be fixed right away. If it is a real issue for many players, the Devs will look at it. DE has done a great job with player feedback so far, and honestly this just isn't a big enough issue or priority for them right now. Not hating on your opinion at all, but be welcome to other players posting their own opinions on here too.

I only have had one issue with the lasers that is when i rush through a door and then surprise lasers, i get knocked down. BUT as I go to get up, I'm still in the path of the lasers and so get knocked down again and again and again usually until im dead or pushed through the door with little health.

I like how laser barriers work. Usually you can spot the camera way before being close to the barrier. And the when the barrier actually gets you it only makes game more interesting, adding a bit of unpredictability, something to keep you on your toes. BTW, I can't understand OP's claim about being killed by the barrier. It's damage is not that high, just how he managed to get killed I wonder?

[...]

Breaking the flow of the player is important to provide them a challenge,

[...]

Speaking of flow from a game developer's perspective as in the psychological phenomenon, breaking the flow is the worst thing that you can (intentionally) do. That is exactly the moment when the player get's pulled out of the the experience and decides that the situation he is in, is too frustrating to continue, i.e. he stops playing.

Bad idea for a FTP buisiness model. You want to get your player to come back for more, which the game currently more or less only does by the necessity to grind for blueprints and resources, since beyond a certain point there is simply nothing left to explore, no new enemies, no new environments and no story to speak of. That the missions get repetitive and the only thing that you are left with to explore more or less free (grinding) is your own playstyle and how it changes via warframe and weapons. This is to be expected though as the game is still in closed beta and still missing some content obviously.

Either way if you want to talk about flow you should be aware of what it means. It is basically the grey area between being too hard and too easy, i.e. challenged without feeling like being treated unfailry by the game. Basic example: A game is easy at the beginning as the player needs to be taught the rules and how to play the game, that is why the enemies are easy to kill and you have a limited set of actions at your disposal.

Once you have mastered the basics you can introduce more complex concepts to the player, usually introducing some kind of reward system to keep motivation high. In Warframes case irregular reward schedules, random drops by enemies and other items for example.

But I digress.

[...] BTW, I can't understand OP's claim about being killed by the barrier. It's damage is not that high, just how he managed to get killed I wonder?

Assume you are outnumbered and about to die. Try to run for the door. Get a face full of lasers. Be dead. Gets frustrating if you are in tougher missions that you have invested some time into already.

Either way, I'm usually bothered by the laser barriers, because the red/green lights disappear between all the other effects. The cameras need to stand out more in my opinion, because they are simply hard to see if you haven't played the tileset a few times already and know where to look.

Congrats if you read it till here.

Edited by breakandburn

the problem with the barriers is that they are sometimes buggy. many times i destroyed the camera, but i got distracted and went to get some loot, i come back and the lasers are on again, or sometimes theres no camera and the lasers sometimes deactivate on their own.

did anybody had problems like this? bacuse i cant find any posts about this

Assume you are outnumbered and about to die. Try to run for the door. Get a face full of lasers. Be dead. Gets frustrating if you are in tougher missions that you have invested some time into already.

Working as intended IMO. Grineer shotgunner hiding behind the corner(love that AI can trick me like that BTW) can do the same job being similarly hard to notice in a hurry. I think that the game, while not extremely hard all the time, can be really unforgiving if you loose your concentration and make tactically unsound decisions, like letting yourself become flanked/surrounded, being too reckless etc. This IMO, is really great, as being reasonably hard and unforgiving is sadly quite rare trait in modern games.

Either way, I'm usually bothered by the laser barriers, because the red/green lights disappear between all the other effects. The cameras need to stand out more in my opinion, because they are simply hard to see if you haven't played the tileset a few times already and know where to look.

Try paying more attention to sounds, works for me way better than trying to spot it right away. 7 times out of 10 I notice the the distinctive camera sound first and only then start looking around for camera itself. And again, as people were saying before, when on a Corpus mission, checking every doorway for camera/laserbarrier combo is a healthy precaution.

Tha lasers are just annoying. They are no challange, they are not really an obstacle, they are just a waste of time and a nuisance.

Someone heads into the room before you, triggers a camera, suddently you lie on the ground and have to wait to get up.

In my opinion the lasers don't do anything, except for wasting time.

Working as intended IMO. Grineer shotgunner hiding behind the corner(love that AI can trick me like that BTW) can do the same job being similarly hard to notice in a hurry. I think that the game, while not extremely hard all the time, can be really unforgiving if you loose your concentration and make tactically unsound decisions, like letting yourself become flanked/surrounded, being too reckless etc. This IMO, is really great, as being reasonably hard and unforgiving is sadly quite rare trait in modern games.

[...]

While see I your point disagree in this particular case with Warframe. It happens that you have to retreat from time to time. So when the way you came in is suddenly blocked without you noticing, even though you took out the cameras when you came in, it is not a tactically unsound decision or being reckless on the players part.

Same thing happens sometimes when you've cleared your way to the last room with the machines in the Grineer assassination missions. You've cleared the room and of course the Greneer show up the way you need to go back, that's normal. If you are unlucky though they will also spawn in the room behind you.

It is out of the players control and if you are left with nowhere to run or hide you are quite simply dead.

This basically creates a situation in which you can neither fight nor run, depending on which warframe you are currently using or whether or not you are alone.

To be fair though I'm much more bothered by the necessity to wait or start searching for the cameras which is a nuiscance. Just give me some kind of panel next to the door that I can shoot and move on.

The idea behind the cameras is nice, but the implementation doesn't work very well in my opinion. It needs to be streamlined somehow as it still feels rather clunky right now.

while I personally don't have an issue with the laser barriers as they are now, I don't see why we can't come up with some ways to improve them.

for one I think part of the frustration is the fact that they can instantly activate in your face with little to no warning. I think it would be reasonable to put in an activation time for the lasers, such as when a camera is triggered, the rim around the door starts to glow and perhaps have a charge/activation sound briefly before the laser barriers activate fully. Also haveing the door rim glow visible when active on closed doors could help with some of the more extreme cases of moving towards a door at high speeds to suddenly hit a brick wall made of lasers just as the door is opening.

Another thing would be to limit the camera activation effect to either doorways directly linked to the room of the active camera or limit the range to 1-2 rooms beyond, so we don't have those annoying cases where that one teammate wanders off and happens to stand in front of a camera right when you're standing in a doorway.

Also I kinda like that doorway power panel idea, altho perhaps not literally on the door, as that would be more liable to disable the entire door as opposed to something to just take out the security device.

Honestly I'd like to see the corpus security systems enhanced some, possibly adding more activated traps such as the wall turrets, and have those be seperated from the laser barriers, with cameras for the traps and the lasers perhaps activated by a seperate mechanism, with something along the wall panel idea to permanently disable them.

I like how laser barriers work. Usually you can spot the camera way before being close to the barrier. And the when the barrier actually gets you it only makes game more interesting, adding a bit of unpredictability, something to keep you on your toes. BTW, I can't understand OP's claim about being killed by the barrier. It's damage is not that high, just how he managed to get killed I wonder?

I have been insta-killed by them like three times, happens when you try running through the door right at the same time the lasers come up.

sorry being off topic, want to clear some questions about, when you shoot the camera, you went away, goes back, then the laser comes up again, this mostly happens in a place, where there is more than 1 camera

like, in the opposite room there is another camera that actually have the sight of the door you are going to pass (the camera isn't fixed, it's on a .. how do i say it, it's moving left righ left right) while most of the camera is set infront of the doors, a larger room have multiple cameras that have more than 1 door in it's sight line

this might be the case when even you destroy the camera, yet the laser still comes up

again, sorry for being off topic

Holy carp... really?

I'm sorry but this is essentially a thread telling us how you don't know how to play the game...

Do you have a level 30 frame yet? Hell I don't and I already know exactly how to deal with cameras.

1: You can hear them, if you have 5:1 surround you know exactly where\

2: They're only ever in a few certain places, it took me about an hour of play to know where 90% of them were

3: When you run into a room on a corpus map your immediate goal should be to kill the cameras

4: Seriously...if you've played the game for any length of time you'd know where they are....seriously..

ADAPT AND OVERCOME

Don't just cry about it being too hard, it's a good game mechanic and it forces you to think, something I'd actually like to see more of. The game just simply isn't hard enough. Increasing mob damage/health is just a weak and lazy way to make the game hard, we need to be forced to pay attention, we're practically special forces and should have challenges like these to overcome.

My only issue with the laser barriers is if one of your team runs ahead and doesn't have the presence of mind to shoot the camera(s). It will trigger all the laser barriers, apparently, even the ones quite distant from that camera. If that was changed, and cameras only activated proximate lasers, I would be perfectly fine with them. It's annoying to be stuck behind a barrier you can't bypass without burning some of your occasionally precious energy, or waiting for your teammate to move out of a camera's range.

Even considering that minor annoyance, I think the laser barriers provide a great environmental obstacle. Makes getting through a level a little more interesting than just barreling through every door you see.

I don't really see a need for this post either. The mechanic is fine. I've only played one corpus mission and it just makes you stop and think until you know how it works. Maybe it takes longer for some people than others but don't get all bent out of shape because you haven't figured out how to master some aspect of the game.

How am I suposed to see a little red light when I am being shot at? and then how am I suposed to even know there is lasers if I cant see them till last second?

I mean its annoying to have to stop at every door to check for nearly insta-death lasers.

Listen to the camera sound you will know if it is red or green

Holy carp... really?

I'm sorry but this is essentially a thread telling us how you don't know how to play the game...

Do you have a level 30 frame yet? Hell I don't and I already know exactly how to deal with cameras.

2: They're only ever in a few certain places, it took me about an hour of play to know where 90% of them were

3: When you run into a room on a corpus map your immediate goal should be to kill the cameras

4: Seriously...if you've played the game for any length of time you'd know where they are....seriously..

ADAPT AND OVERCOME

Don't just cry about it being too hard, it's a good game mechanic and it forces you to think, something I'd actually like to see more of. The game just simply isn't hard enough. Increasing mob damage/health is just a weak and lazy way to make the game hard, we need to be forced to pay attention, we're practically special forces and should have challenges like these to overcome.

+1

Holy carp... really?

ADAPT AND OVERCOME

The lasers apparently are activated by any camera on the map. So if one of your teammates runs ahead into the next room filled with enemies, the barriers active and leave the rest of the team in a room without a way out unless you use your abilities or can roll/sprint fast enough to get to the other side.

As the player caught in a firefight will usually kill everything in the room before he destroys the cameras, people usually look at a period of waiting followed by the sprint to keep up with the leading player, possibly ending up in the same situation again.

There are ways to get out of there, but just as with the wallrun rooms in the asteroid base some people don't know how to get out of there.

That's okay because it's the beta stage.

But:

If you compare the implementation of turrets to those of lasers you'll see that they are much fairer to the players, because you can still shoot the turret if you can't see the camera.

If you can see the camera though and shoot it instead, the turret is disabled as well, which costs less ammo but requires better aim and presence of mind. Seems fair. Also doesn't take away control from the player completely.

It's not about the game being to hard it's more about being intuitive. If the player just knows what he's supposed to do it's a sign of good game design in my opinion and there is definitively room for improvement with this particular issue.

Especially as this pattern is used so frequently in the Corpus maps.