Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Laser Barriers Just Annoying

NinjaTyr

These are frustrating and slow you down, yes, but often that's exactly what's intended.

I find that these barriers suffer from a similar problem to many other things: They are not well-introduced to new players, so people feel cheated.

Also, those cameras could often do with being a lot more obvious. There's a pretty big difference in flow between, "I have to slow down to navigate this obstacle," and a full-blown session of 'Where's Wally?'.

I see most people in this thread just flaming the hell out of the guys that do hate the barriers, while not exactly admitting that the flaws in the barriers themselves are major hindrances to the gameplay experience itself.

On a personal point of view, the laser barriers definitely need more fine tuning.

As it is now, there are multiple ways where you cant exactly avoid being totally screwed over by the laser barriers. First would be the camera on the other side of the door noticing you as you sprint towards the doorway. You cant avoid that, and you most probably wont hear the camera because it is on the far side of the room.

Secondly, there arent always only one camera that would activate the laser barriers. I've often found myself almost barbequed and eviscerated because there are not only 2 cameras looking at the same doorway that im about to pass through. I killed the one behind me, killed another one infront of me, and the barrier is still up. This is a major turn off as its very frustrating.

To newer players, its even worse as they will have little to no warning of what they are dealing with, and how they are supposed to deal with it. Plus, they wont have enough shields to withstand the damage. Some of them that didnt invest in shield/health capacity for various reasons will die outright because the barriers do almost 300 while knocking down.

I would personally welcome a challenge, but the corpus security system is basically frustrating to deal with and should be reworked.

Edited by nginferno

I'm not sure if the laser grids can still kill, but to me, the lasers are like minor things with large penalties to them. Getting killed by the grid (if they still do) is getting killed for not spotting a camera near the door, they do a large amount of damage compared to what is (or what I consider) more important like combat aptitude; it does do a lot for what seems to be just an awareness test, especially when these lasers can be encountered out of combat situations.

Its okay for an enemy ship to set up traps, but there doesn't seem to be much to the camera-laser grid system. I can see a sort of trap system working for things like "Would I encounter more traps if I just ran through the door and followed the waypoint on the minimap, and less if I chose my path through vents, underneath/behind whatever panelling, etc", though.

(That seems to be in place for an extent, since there are some map fragments that follow the description that will not have cameras/lasers).

The fix to everyone's issues with the lasers.

Nerf the damage done to players, disallow insta-kill, ALWAYS knock back instead of knockdown-stuck-in-laser.

But I'm sure there are those who will consistently complain that this "breaks the game flow" as if they know how this game was meant to be designed/played. Kudos to you, didn't know you worked for DE.

I don't have any beef with the cameras and laser doors other than the fact that a camera can activate the lasers on the other side of the map. Currently with the speed differences between frames I have found myself when playing as a Rhino stuck behind waiting for the lone guy rushing ahead to get rid of the cameras in his area or get out of their sight lines. All this despite the fact I diligently cleared my area of the cameras but was left behind due to playing a slower frame.

Long story short, cameras should only activate adjacent laser barriers not all of them and should thoroughly knock back players to prevent being perma-stunned until death inside the lasers.

Well if you develop a habit of quick ducking or rolling in timely fashion when you encounter these obstacles, then they never break a game flow and even if they do, it means you need to work on your moving skills. And I like that little learning curve there. I can understand they can be annoying at first, but hopefully they will make any new player learn a thing or two about the importance of timing in this game.

I saw he said that you cant see the cameras when shooting at enemies and being shot at. well i clearly can see 90% of the cameras. the light even if its red is soooo easy to spot. How hard is it to have a complete look at the battlefield? The key to victory is to know the battlefield. The only cameras hard to spot are the ones arround corners. but then again I have a room cleared before i get to the door. so i have ample time to shoot the camera. Just Dont Rush when you are fighting corpus if you keep tripping at lasers.

I personally love the lasers for some reason.

If I'ld be able to just rush through content as fast as I could, ignoring environments. without any worries of putting myself into awkward situations, then the content wouldn't be fun to play (in my case).