Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[PC] Update 23: Visual Accessibility UI Themes and General UI Feedback Megathread

[DE]Danielle

In looking to sell some of my items in the inventory screen. I've noticed some Prime weapons use the default normal weapon images. I nearly sold some of my Prime weapons because of this. Thankfully the stats are what kept me from selling them because it looked weird to have an Orokin Catslyst on normal bratton. Not sure if there are others like this, but it may upset some if they sell something they don't want. Especially with the way RNG can sometimes mess with us.

Ex: 

Bratton Prime

Cernos Prime

YgaEf0A.jpgI found something, I dunno if someone noticed it, I searched and didn't find anything. In the Inventory (yours, Baro's, etc.) when Tab to see statistics of a given item, the left text is misaligned from the right. Made a screenshot.

The squad elements of the UI are so frustrating to use. They weren't great to begin with, but where before I could quickly see who was on which frame (an increasingly important function with more skins and frames being added to the game) now I have to mouse over each one to see what they brought. It's also more of a pain to leave squads after missions. Unless I'm playing with an organized group I almost always leave group after mission.

On 2018-06-21 at 6:53 PM, waitingmoon said:

DqOSqZX.jpg

Thanks for adding the item labels, but that font size is small a bit.

1920x1080 / Legacy UI Scale

Yeah, exactly what I tought, the squares have to go, because they just won't fit even the properly readable label much less all the other info we need to see at first glance.

I have a zaw named "Toxin Zaw" and i have noticed that its not in its right place alphabeticaly

zaw2.jpg

and also it does not show the toxin damage when i hover over it and press tab

zaw.jpg

there should be toxin damage shown here, but it is not

edit: and as you can see the numbers dont line up with their labels

just pointing this out for you to investigate in your ui tweaks

thanks for a great ui tho 🙂

Edited by Camberwell

I was really disappointed that after purchasing a theme for the background color, I was then locked to that theme's whole UI interface.  I would love an option to change basic things, like selecting the two primary colors of a theme, or even just being able to use a background palette from one theme with another theme's UI colors.

Overall it would be great if there was more customization as others have suggested, but it's frustrating to have to choose between a theme with good readability and an aesthetically pleasing theme.  The blue font on the Lotus background really bothers my eyes, and I would love to be able to at least default to more neutral colors so I could enjoy the Lotus background color.  Instead, I've wasted 50 platinum on a theme I don't want to look at.

On 2018-06-23 at 9:39 AM, Camberwell said:

I have a zaw named "Toxin Zaw" and i have noticed that its not in its right place alphabeticaly

zaw2.jpg

I'm guessing it's a lowercase/uppercase thing. There's likely a separation between what is stored and what is being presented, but the sort will be based on what is stored. So many fiddly bits. The sorting should be marked as case-insensitive.

Re-posting my list rather than updating this time.

Overall I feel like I've lost a lot of information I used to have access to at a glance. That's really important to me as a player, and what I want to get across the most. 

Pros: 

• Graphically appealing
  • Smoother transitions
  • Tabbing to see stats when hovering rather than transitioning to another window
  • Easy access to party privacy for party leader
  • Increase mouse cursor size - I don't know how long this has been here, it makes me happy, therefore it's a pro.
  • "Default" as a sorting option for Syndicate items (Thanks for this!)

Cons:

• Drastically reduced QoL - we lost a lot of front-loaded information gathering that we gained in other updates.
  • Selling inventory is made more difficult, unable to tell what is sellable before clicking/hovering Negated by Only Sellable option
  • Buying items is made more difficult, can't see the names or prices of items at a glance - you need to hover over each individually.  Whether or not I have mastered the weapon is gone (downgrade for me, I'm back to referencing an offline list to track mastery)
    • Item Labels: Text uniforming is missing, namely in the line spacing.  Swapping between one line of text to two lines of text looks messy/disorganized
  • Sell Price is missing in all Selling Items menus. This is wrong, and un-intuitive. The purpose of this UI is to sell an item, the price should be visible.
  • Unable to view a player's loadout during a mission when hitting Tab.
  • Must back out of the Navigation completely to access the quick menu
  • Unable to hover over players in menu screen (bug? sometimes I can sometimes I can't)
  • Can't see open slots in inventory
  • Argon Crystal no longer shows expiry timer
  • UI Scaling / Horizontal scaling (see: another post in this thread)
  • Less contrast, at first was not a problem but I find I need to look closer as I miss information at a glance now. Buying items I already have because I didn't see that I already had it. That check in the syndicate window is not big enough to have an impact. 
    • "Hide Owned" and "Only Sellable" must be turned on every time - if this is the way I need to filter a screen in order to not buy duplicates, then I'd like it to remember my last choice, rather than costing me an extra action every time I go to these screens.

With the UI the way it is now, I am not looking forward to using it to sell my prime parts for ducats.

I will update this post if I find more...

Edited by Distillia

So I went ahead and perused the 12 pages that are already up here, and I'm hoping it still gets attention from the team.

• As people mentionned before, there is an issue with labels and associated values lining up. Likely due to being bold, while the labels aren't. Exemple from Kikogodeca is pretty well laid out, and can also be seen in -Icicles-.
Spoiler

On 2018-06-22 at 1:48 PM, Kikogodeca said:

YgaEf0A.jpgI found something, I dunno if someone noticed it, I searched and didn't find anything. In the Inventory (yours, Baro's, etc.) when Tab to see statistics of a given item, the left text is misaligned from the right. Made a screenshot.

On 2018-06-18 at 11:51 PM, -Icicles- said:

Please don't just stop at adding this feature! The spacing between icons are so huge and the icon themselves are so small it's hard to look at it. A lot of the display icons are pixelated /low quality. I hope it'll be refined.

Also can you fix the transparent area of the information card thingy because some text are really hard to see. Here's one example.20180616093902_1_zpsfaoiezrb.png

• I've also ran accross an interesting issue that I havn't seen listed here yet, the manachord section needs a code review.

Right now, regardless if I own an instrument or not, it has the checkmark of being available AND displays a plat value upon hovering as if not owned. (Currently need to click on them each time to find out which ones I own and which ones I don't. I remember buying a couple when I got Octavia a couple patches ago, but not what their names were)

Owned instruments:                          Owned_Instruments.png
Displayed as available for selection: Without_Hover.png
Upon hovering and instrument:         Hover_Infos.png

Some selected items from the cross-post Foxbat40 provided I'd like to revisit:

On 2018-06-19 at 11:13 PM, Foxbat40 said:

[...]
Similarly the purpose of a User Interface is to show the user information about the systems they are interacting with and give them precise means of interacting with them.
1. It can't be said enough but every icon needs a name. If I can't tell you in text how to get to a part of an interface then the user can be equally lost without context. This also makes sorting by name a more meaningful option.
[...]
3. In the team menu we need all information available at a glance. We should not have to mouse over each player to see what warframes are in our squad. [...]
5. UI customization [...] Link the available colors to your color pallet system [...] Have a Reset UI color button [...]
10. No hidden stats. Display all stats somewhere. Weapon range is missing from melee. Ammo maximum is missing from guns. Status chance per pellet is missing from shotguns.

• Glad to see we now have names under item icons. Much easier to distinguish barrels/receivers/chassis/systems/neuroptics now. Primed or not. Still figuring out why it's an option tho, given it's a model that works great (icon asset reutilisation for parts I mean) for this game. Are there plans to change this in the future? That is an insane amount of artwork incoming!
  • The team menu has been adressed by quite a huge amount of people, but perhaps one less many than labels needed for it to be reconsidered. So here I jab at it again: We seem to agree as a community that being able to see the team composition and gear from hitting ESC or P was a huge quality of life that we loss with the new UI. Along with the smaller icons that fit less information and names broken onto 2 lines much quicker because the box for each team member is now thinner. A few screenshots also showed the gap left from transioning to the new team layout that can still be reused for this while it hasn't be allocated to something else yet.
  • While oppening up UI (to Tennogen?) on a possible pay to candify, it could be nice to be able to adapt colours on a Theme by ourselves. I understand we can't have LUA sweetness homemade UI, but themes could/should be a feel/design and, just like on our frames, color palette alterable. Might kill two bird with one stone if you go that way: Colorblinds could tweak the colors themselves while enjoying the sweet themes you made! 😄
  • The last one isn't new. It has less link with the UI change we received. But I am still amazed by how much I don't know jack about a frame or weapon whenever I visit the wiki. SO MUCH INFO that I would never have guessed on my own. I mean, I've guessed some... But I actually learned ONLY LAST WEEK that Broberon's patch of grass keeps us safe from Teralysts and kins magnetic outbursts!

• Another personal note: Found out mouse jittering issues I had were keybind related. AWSD acts as if I had a controller and would very much like to be able to get rid of the mechanic, or at least be able to find out were in the option menus I can turn the thing off.

Finally I would like to point towards Distillia's post, as it conveys a good bit of how I feel about the UI overhaul.

Spoiler
7 hours ago, Distillia said:

Overall I feel like I've lost a lot of information I used to have access to at a glance. That's really important to me as a player, and what I want to get across the most. 

Pros: 

• Graphically appealing
  • Smoother transitions
  • Tabbing to see stats when hovering rather than transitioning to another window
  • Easy access to party privacy for party leader
  • Increase mouse cursor size - I don't know how long this has been here, it makes me happy, therefore it's a pro.

Cons:

• Drastically reduced QoL - we lost a lot of front-loaded information gathering that we gained in other updates.
  • Selling inventory is made more difficult, unable to tell what is sellable before clicking/hovering Negated by Only Sellable option
  • Buying items is made more difficult, can't see the names or prices of items at a glance - you need to hover over each individually.  Whether or not I have mastered the weapon is gone (downgrade for me, I'm back to referencing an offline list to track mastery)
    • Item Labels: Text uniforming is missing, namely in the line spacing.  Swapping between one line of text to two lines of text looks messy/disorganized
  • Sell Price is missing in all Selling Items menus. This is wrong, and un-intuitive. The purpose of this UI is to sell an item, the price should be visible.
  • Unable to view a player's loadout during a mission when hitting Tab.
  • Must back out of the Navigation completely to access the quick menu
  • Unable to hover over players in menu screen (bug? sometimes I can sometimes I can't)
  • Can't see open slots in inventory
  • Argon Crystal no longer shows expiry timer
  • UI Scaling / Horizontal scaling (see: another post in this thread)
  • Less contrast, at first was not a problem but I find I need to look closer as I miss information at a glance now. Buying items I already have because I didn't see that I already had it. That check in the syndicate window is not big enough to have an impact. 
    • "Hide Owned" and "Only Sellable" must be turned on every time - if this is the way I need to filter a screen in order to not buy duplicates, then I'd like it to remember my last choice, rather than costing me an extra action every time I go to these screens.

With the UI the way it is now, I am not looking forward to using it to sell my prime parts for ducats.

I will update this post if I find more...

I appreciate the time, work and love the devs and community put into the game, and I hope this migration to a new UI will generate a result at least as enjoyable as The Sacrifice was 😄

Edited by Judite
Fixing post layout in an attempt to make it easier to read

In line with the previous comment - is it possible for DE to provide a comprehensive, detailed list of all UI screens that were touched by the new theme update?

As it stands, we're relying on people to scour various screens without knowing exactly which ones were affected by the update until they actually come across it.

I believe providing this detailed list would allow for faster review and feedback from the community.

Edited by dbugz

19 hours ago, Distillia said:

Thank you for including my post! 

I agree with everything you said as well, with particular focus on:

•   Prices missing in Sell Items menus
  •   Less contrast in default UI scheme overall. In particular, the "grayed out" feeling everything has when not hovered.

• I'm going blind with labels so small (syndicate offerings, inventory).
  • It takes a lot to know who is your squad. now we can't see easily their names or frames or if they have a dragon key...
  • let's us sort the loadouts please. I'm MR25 and I don't buy more because it's hard to find the loadout I need, already have 13.

On PS4 here so this may be addressed in the upcoming update, but the new pointer is real pain on console; I am sure this is done for a reason, but it is much slower than the old system and quite finicky, especially when trying to select in submenus on the chat pop up (how many times I click invite when I want to talk, god help me), and where you can rename your mod setups for warframes and weapons (old spot was fine, why this tiny button top right now?). A setting to adjust cursor speed would already help, as well as being able to select with my d-pad.

Must be easier on PC, but this is not helpful in its current state on console.

Thx

So yeah I wanted to make an Aklex Prime but I have three Lex Primes, one of which is forma'd and the other two are obviously just fodder. The problem here now is when I'm trying to make the Aklex, the UI doesn't display which of the three is the one forma'd. And oh, I did change the skin of the forma'd Lex to the Perla Pistol one hoping that the UI will display that skin instead when choosing which Lexes to use as well. Also pressing the tab (to display their stats) button isn't helping either.

Spoiler

xL1bg0B.jpg

cHKQ36v.jpg

Aush6hG.jpg

oZBwfjm.jpg

W2g1ksy.jpg

dtD0qXn.jpg

KGXUsWS.jpg

0l3drAY.jpg

Seriously how much longer does consoles have to deal with this cursor? I'm not trying to be rude I promise I have loved this game ever since it came out, but this cursor thing is a serious problem. We would all appreciate it if we could just get some feedback about it. The vast majority greatly dislike the cursor and we just want it gone. No tweaking it and fixing things will change the fact that the old UI setup trumps the cursor in every way. Could we just get some kind a response on this?

You really have to wonder if anyone really thought this through, or if there was just some executive decision to "make it look good".

I would have been much happier with a descriptive text list that was actually informative.  Really, very bad quality control on this update - completely ignores usability as a feature.