Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[PC] Update 23: Visual Accessibility UI Themes and General UI Feedback Megathread

[DE]Danielle

I like the colours and background art but the iconisation of information is over the top. Everything is pictures now. It looks all the same to me. Pictures of things; I'd need to recognize first. Feels a bit like Windows 8 tile overload all over. Inefficient, cos I spend all the time mousing over icons to learn what they represent.

Sorting is also different now. When I e.g. open Syndicate offerings the mods aren't grouped by Warframes anymore.

2 minutes ago, catastrophy said:

I like the colours and background art but the iconisation of information is over the top. Everything is pictures now. It looks all the same to me. Pictures of things; I'd need to recognize first. Feels a bit like Windows 8 tile overload all over. Inefficient, cos I spend all the time mousing over icons to learn what they represent.

100% agreed. I *really* like the new style - it just needs a bit more usability. More standard (e.g. sortable) tables with text.

Glad you are working on adding names to inventory grid.

Relevant currency not showing on void trader and quill onkko screen. Probably true for other trading screens too but those 2 I know for sure have the issue.

One of the issues of having so many columns and rows is that items in a set (prime parts) appear on the next row (splits them) where as before with only 2 rows they would always be grouped together. Potential fixes could be option for how many rows/columns to show or separating sets into groups and keeping them in separate rows (without splitting to the other side of the screen).

What would be very useful when choosing relic reward is some kind of indication of the item completing a set. Just the text Completes Set under the items would be great and really help organisation especially for people with a lot of sets and parts.

Edited by GoBeep

I know this is as "first world problem" as it gets, but...

I have made a dedicated forum post long ago, after UI redesign was announced, here:

This appears to went largely ignored.

New UI problems on 16:3 aspect ratio:

sfmDoeb.jpg

Horizontal space is completely unused. Old inventory screen actually used available space (see linked forum post)

e9etURg.jpg

Notice the squad buttons on the top left - they used to be accessible from the middle.

I'd greatly appreciate if you'd support multiple monitors in your UI design! Please!

In the syndicate inventories we can no longer sort augments "by warframe" (the old default).

I really liked having the augments grouped up (all Ash augments, all Excalibur augments...), with the lower rank weapon augments listed first (with a glyph "buffer").

Now they are all mixed up.

If I want to buy the Equinox augments I can:

a) look them up in the wiki, then select them by name (noone in their right mind will do this)

b) mouse over each augment and find the ones I want

c) filter using "search..." (the most sensible option)

If I want to know which syndicate offers augements for which frame there is currently NO way to get that information at a glance.

The old sorting method (rank > warframe > alphabetical) was great for a quick overview ("Which syndicate should I level next?").

I'm a little sad that DE didn't really go for something significantly different.

Imagine different categories in shops having different presentations based on which one is best for each type.

In the case of syndicate mods, you could have a grid with 5 columns. The first column is a picture and label of the Warframe that the augment belongs to and the other four columns are augments for the powers 1-4. So if an augment doesn't exist yet, there would be a hole there. All the augments would be grouped by Warframe, implicitly and it would be obvious what it belongs to. This could be extended to other types of mods as well.

There are lots of neat interface ideas that could have been explored that would actually increase the information density rather than reduce it. Or ideas that would improve organization. I know DE is a small studio, but this is an area where there's lots of room for improvement.

Has anyone reported the bug in dojos when trying to access the mod menu. You basically can't because it is turned away from you.

Having to buy the themes and presumably the other stuff for a huge price, (especially since theme kind of implies it should have everything,) is something I really really don't like. Yes I bought them, but they are so new and spartan that...why are we being charged for something we are basically testing and giving feedback on currently?

Maybe charge people for the full sets as a theme at the current price for themes when everything is sorted out and complete, until then, you are forcing us to pay for things we then contribute to. I mean, you just released a ton of stuff that is going to get you a lot of plat in regards to people being impatient and buying forma, the set with all that stuff in it including the painting, prime access, etc. Is the company hurting for plat that bad?

Also, as always, I will mention your draconian plat fraud policy. A friend mentioned it just today. he got taken for 2k plat and instead of the scammer being punished he had to fork over the full price to unlock his character. I don't care if you are "just devs" talk to whatever dept handles this. You lose a lot of players over it. It should be a big deal and a priority to resolve the issue.

I have some issue with the UI close buttons being near the bottom, generally people expect a close to be at the top-right, and confirmation near the bottom right.

I would consider, (besides ui scaling being a temporary fix) window-izing most of those big, full screen windows. This would translate to a full tap right on consoles to get to the options a tap up and exit, or a back button. Then, tap down to confirm / cancel. Instead of carefully.... navigating the monotone buttons that are very similarly placed, with the confirmation button usually smaller than all the rest. I would also suggest choosing an set of accent colors to differentiate between greyed out, selected areas and important buttons.

I would also bring back the party menus showing weapon / key / relic loadouts without the need to hover. You've already had plenty of feedback on the hover behavior and the labels so I won't touch on that.

The theme was quite dark for me, make me hard to see the things, & the worst thing is when you want to trade your mods, the mods was very small to see. All the items were greyed out, so each time i want to check something i had to scan each of it one by one.

The other thing is the loading screen, everytime someone disconnected from the host, they need to restart the game because there is no cursor to click on the reconnect button or scroll the chat tabs or look through the mission completion tabs, which is very very annoying.

It has been 2 times when i really can't press anything for my frame during mission to move or do anything, only complete stand still, trapped & i have to restart the game. Even operator button is not working.

One more thing, i need my 1st twitch drop, as i can get the 2&3 simultaneously but not the operator cosmetic which have been a week & no notice about that.

Thanks & Please fix it up asap DE!!

Edited by Starlord_08

Cross Posted from Reddit

Many designers mistakenly think that the purpose of a UI is to look nice. Just as a window on a house should look nice and not get in the way.

This misses the fact that the primary purpose of a window is to show you what is on the other side. Imagine a window on your house that only showed you plants. It would lead to a pretty view but you couldn't see the bad weather coming or tell when your dog is ready to come back in.

Similarly the purpose of a User Interface is to show the user information about the systems they are interacting with and give them precise means of interacting with them.

1. It can't be said enough but every icon needs a name. If I can't tell you in text how to get to a part of an interface then the user can be equally lost without context. This also makes sorting by name a more meaningful option.

Specific Improvements.

2. In the Navigation screen there is a menu for select loadout. We also need to see which sub loadout the warframe has equiped. By default this is A, B or C. But we have likely renamed these. We need to be able to see this option and toggle between the 3 options in this interface. This means I could be in the navigation screen see a spy alert for a mod I need and select my Ivara loadout and select the sub loadout that has "Prowl" as the name. All from the navigation interface. This would save the user time and make use of the customization options already given to them.

3. In the team menu we need all information available at a glance. We should not have to mouse over each player to see what warframes are in our squad. We also need a specific menu item for leave squad. Having this mixed in with showing our own player profile leads to frustration as we use this function after completing most missions. There is no reason to hide icons in this interface. We enter this interface for the specific reason of seeing them. Don't hide buttons and don't hide information.

4. There is no visual hierarchy to the menu system. We need an address bar at the top that lets us go back to a higher portion of the menu or quick jump to a different menu entirely.

5. UI customization should not be a platinum cost. Link the available colors to your color pallet system and make money that way. Have a Reset UI color button on the log in screen in case a user sets all colors to black.

6. Horizontal scrolling is not that bad for the user. Most screens have more space horizontally. This is not a valid reason to rework something. Edit (What I am saying is they should do more than just change the orientation they should make some kind of functional improvement at the same time.)

7. Visually separate different portions of the screen with different information using some type of a frame. You might think less is more but our eyes need a way to distinguish where to look for different information.

8. Allow us to scale the size of on screen popups during combat. If I am trying to fight I don't need a portrait covering what I am trying to see and shoot.

9. For our arsenal screen display what option in our loadout is currently selected. Either A,B or C for each piece of equipment. Allow us to quickly change this without going into the upgrade menu. Allow us to see the stat changes to abilities or weapons as these change.

10. No hidden stats. Display all stats somewhere. Weapon range is missing from melee. Ammo maximum is missing from guns. Status chance per pellet is missing from shotguns.

11. Mod sorting is not updated live. If I have my mods sorted by energy drain and I remove a mod with 15 energy drain it should go to the far left. But instead it goes to the far right. This forces me to sort again if I want to find that mod easily.

I hope these suggestions find their way to DE and can improve this already great game.

Edit: Link to UI mockups made after I got home from work today. https://imgur.com/a/bpv66fT

I really hope the UI changes at some point involve making the Relic UI a bit more robust in the area of sorting Relics

There are so many relics in the game already that players would really need a way of sorting/hiding vaulted relics to be able to easily choose those basic intact relics when just farming for any Prime parts.

The UI is getting tedious with the constant influx of new Relics

5 hours ago, Foxbat40 said:

4. There is no visual hierarchy to the menu system. We need an address bar at the top that lets us go back to a higher portion of the menu or quick jump to a different menu entirely. 

I like this idea. There already is something similar at the top of the screen in Inventory which says "INVENTORY/SELL" but it's not interactable... I think.

6 hours ago, Foxbat40 said:

5. UI customization should not be a platinum cost. Link the available colors to your color pallet system and make money that way. Have a Reset UI color button on the log in screen in case a user sets all colors to black.

You can have both. Allow user to change colors manually to what palettes they already have, and charge plat for already premade themes made by actual visual designers who know what they're doing. Not 50 plat though, that's a bit ridiculous. 

Am 19.6.2018 um 08:17 schrieb Lizard_Lick:

the menu update is a reason for quitting warframe at all.

- less intuitive

- lowered readabilty due to lowered contrast on fonts

- letters/text are merging at widescreens

- no desciption text on items

- still lacking filter functions 

.... and so on

the new menu is a pain

Give the devs some time.
Around september all will be fine. 😊

9 hours ago, Foxbat40 said:

Cross Posted from Reddit

Many designers mistakenly think that the purpose of a UI is to look nice. Just as a window on a house should look nice and not get in the way.

This misses the fact that the primary purpose of a window is to show you what is on the other side. Imagine a window on your house that only showed you plants. It would lead to a pretty view but you couldn't see the bad weather coming or tell when your dog is ready to come back in.

Similarly the purpose of a User Interface is to show the user information about the systems they are interacting with and give them precise means of interacting with them.

1. It can't be said enough but every icon needs a name. If I can't tell you in text how to get to a part of an interface then the user can be equally lost without context. This also makes sorting by name a more meaningful option.

Specific Improvements.

2. In the Navigation screen there is a menu for select loadout. We also need to see which sub loadout the warframe has equiped. By default this is A, B or C. But we have likely renamed these. We need to be able to see this option and toggle between the 3 options in this interface. This means I could be in the navigation screen see a spy alert for a mod I need and select my Ivara loadout and select the sub loadout that has "Prowl" as the name. All from the navigation interface. This would save the user time and make use of the customization options already given to them.

3. In the team menu we need all information available at a glance. We should not have to mouse over each player to see what warframes are in our squad. We also need a specific menu item for leave squad. Having this mixed in with showing our own player profile leads to frustration as we use this function after completing most missions. There is no reason to hide icons in this interface. We enter this interface for the specific reason of seeing them. Don't hide buttons and don't hide information.

6. Horizontal scrolling is not that bad for the user. Most screens have more space horizontally. This is not a valid reason to rework something. Edit (What I am saying is they should do more than just change the orientation they should make some kind of functional improvement at the same time.)

7. Visually separate different portions of the screen with different information using some type of a frame. You might think less is more but our eyes need a way to distinguish where to look for different information.

8. Allow us to scale the size of on screen popups during combat. If I am trying to fight I don't need a portrait covering what I am trying to see and shoot.

9. For our arsenal screen display what option in our loadout is currently selected. Either A,B or C for each piece of equipment. Allow us to quickly change this without going into the upgrade menu. Allow us to see the stat changes to abilities or weapons as these change.

10. No hidden stats. Display all stats somewhere. Weapon range is missing from melee. Ammo maximum is missing from guns. Status chance per pellet is missing from shotguns.

11. Mod sorting is not updated live. If I have my mods sorted by energy drain and I remove a mod with 15 energy drain it should go to the far left. But instead it goes to the far right. This forces me to sort again if I want to find that mod easily.

I hope these suggestions find their way to DE and can improve this already great game.

Edit: Link to UI mockups made after I got home from work today. https://imgur.com/a/bpv66fT

This is very, very well put. The priority for every single one of these should be Drop Everything And Get On It. 

I've found a small bug on the "Select Fish" Menu from the lady at Cetus:

Sort by owned;
Type the name of a fish;
Press "Select All" at the botton left of the screen;
It will aways forget to mark one size if you have all 3 sizes in your inventory.

Please move the "Leave Squad" button from the drop down on your avatar to the big square buttons to the right of the avatars, where the "+" icon is.

The animations are super annoying, and the buttons no longer stand out from the loadout text.

I'm in Cetus looking at HOK's things for sale. In my options, I turned on "Item Labels" in the Interface section.

HOK has many Zaw Links with Roman Numerals in Upper case and Lower case.

"Ekwana Ii Jai Blueprint" "Vargeet Ii Jai Blueprint"

I suggest the two letter " i " Roman Numerals be both uppercase.

:whew: