Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Umbral mods discussion

--Chubbs--

So DE just gave us new mods for both our warframes and melee weapons that make our old mods obsolete. Mods that also do not match any existing polarity in the game, meaning we need to re-spec our builds by adding even MORE forma to all of our preexisting builds in order to have optimal builds. I'm not going to give any harsh criticism yet, as DE is usually quick to remedy anything that could upset the community in any drastic way, but I can foresee that this can and WILL make a lot of people very upset.

I would suggest making the 'Umbra' polarity mods fit onto any existing polarity as if it were the correct polarity, or just making the Umbra mods the same polarity as their regular counterparts.

Thoughts, anyone?

Came here to post about this. I'm extremely disappointed I can't add Umbral polarities onto my Excalibur Prime to use the Umbral set mods as that makes Excalibur Umbra objectively better than my Excalibur Prime in terms of optimal build and stats. I was really super jazzed to play, but after spending a forma to attempt to put an Umbral polarity on my Excal Prime, I'm decidedly less so.

Edited by BrianEvol

They do not make our old mods obsolete. They must be used in a set in order to be worth the investment, and the power increase is slight. Not all frames will even be able to really utilize them appropriately, assuming they allow us to use polarity switching for them.

With that said, it's disconcerting that they're Legendary rank, assuming this polarity situation was intentional.

Yeah i've already made a post about this a short while ago after I got them. Silly me sold my ayatans and ranked them up, now I'm stuck with mods I can't use on any frame but umbra because their costs are just so high with no way to lower them. 

5 minutes ago, BansheePrime said:

TBH I’m surprised you can even use them on other frames and that they are not restricted to Umbra.

I also found this weird.

It makes sense to have umbra mods only ewuippable by umbra frames.

Just now, AreeSoothsayer said:

True, but I'm glad myself. Of course it might be something they over looked and their next fix may change that. Fingers Crossed. 

Could be. There are lots of bugs right now.

Umbra mods would further the argument that umbra is a huge improvement over basic excal

i love the fact of umbra mods when more umbra frames come out. also have mods set for light frames as we wish. I love this RPG aspect of light and dark. also frame mod sets will be awesome. gives the reward to the People who Main frames a reward. like mod set for sayrn will add damage bonus to infested as ballas made her to kill the infested. I HOPE they add this RPG and more of it into the game. reward the ones that main a frame.

Il y a 6 heures, ZodiacShinryu a dit :

They are only better if you have more than one of them on at a time. Pressures replacement in particular is worse then Primed even with its partner UNLESS you are fighting Sentients.

This is actually only true for the Vitality and the Steel Fibre Mod (and the new Pressure Point is even worse with a maxed Version of the new variant). The Intensify is actually a significant upgrade (44 %) and the new True steel is also an upgrade by nearly 20 % which makes both imo totally worth formaing for. 

I think DE should really look into adding the Polarities into normal Forma even though i am not looking forward to remaking most if not all of my frames.

The umbral mods are garbage to be honest, not worth it over the primed variants like primed pressure point and we can't even switch their polarities. i am not touching umbra until DE allows us to swap the umbra polarities. i can't bother using the umbra armor mod and the melee umbra mods, since they don't match any of my excalibur builds. DE is forcing us to play the new umbra frame their way with this "new" and "unique" tao polarity bullS#&$.

These umbral polarities are AWFUL and so are the mods.

Yes the stats are an improvement, but they are absolutely not worth the cost. Why the hell are the mods all legendary quality anyway? It makes sense for primed mods where a new one drops once in a blue moon, giving you plenty of time to farm up the credits and more importantly the 30k endo required to max the thing.

But with these it's a whole other story. Let's rattle off a list of just a few things wrong with this system:

• A slot cannot be polarized to the new umbral polarity using forma, they are only available on equipment that comes with them.
  • If you decide to remove an umbral polarity using forma, it's gone for good.
  • These mods cost as much to max as a primed mod, but while primed mods can be used across many different builds these umbral mods can ONLY be used on ONE frame and ONE weapon because of their immense drain, no way to access umbral polarities with forma and the requirement than they be used in their sets to be fully effective.
  • They dropped all of these mods on us at once. Unless you farm endo literally for days on end it'll take MONTHS to max all these mods. Hell, if you just play the game normally it already takes weeks to farm enough endo to max a primed mod.
  • Power creep. The warframe umbral mods when used in tandem are a straight upgrade from their regular counterparts. And it's not a small upgrade either. If future umbral mods and frames continue along this path we'll slowly see Primed frames become redundant in the same way. Excal Umbra makes sense, DE made a mistake locking Excal Prime away forever and this is a way to rectify it, but if they continue to produce more Umbra frames it's ultimately going to be just another excuse to get us to play through the same content again for the third time, all because of power creep.
  • Rigidity. These mods when used together confer massive bonuses over their counterparts, but only when used together. They work great on Excal Umbra, but there are plenty of frames out there where an armor mod is a wasted slot. These mods are far less flexible than the standard mods. You'd think this would be enough of a trade off vs regular mods without them having their own unique polarity, the insane amount of drain and the cost in endo and credits of just maxing one of these mods.

And thats just a few things. I was honestly hyped to play Excal Umbra, but because of this sloppy launch and this horrible new system I'm just not going to. I cannot justify the INSANE cost of endo and credits just to max these mods, yet nor can I bring myself to just polarize all my Umbral mod slots away, because there is no way to get them back if I do and I'd potentially be permanently gimping my Umbra if I do.

The only way to maximize the performance of this frame is by maxing all these mods. I still have a few primed mods I haven't yet maxed, but DE want me to farm for weeks just to get the optimal use out of ONE frame. Sorry, but no thanks.

Getting him for free without having to wait for the build time and with a free potato no less is nice, but I'd honestly rather have had  his blueprint just show up in the market, farm a boss for a few hours, then have to wait three and a half days to build an Excal Umbra without a completely unnecessary unique set of ludicrously expensive mods. You can keep the potato too.

12 minutes ago, BrianEvol said:

I'm more annoyed by the idea that Umbra, with maxed Umbral mods, is a direct upgrade to my Excal Prime that I'll never be able to replicate, even with Forma and extra effort on my part.

Im ok with that.

I hope future umbra are upgrades to prime variant.

27 minutes ago, BrianEvol said:

I'm more annoyed by the idea that Umbra, with maxed Umbral mods, is a direct upgrade to my Excal Prime that I'll never be able to replicate, even with Forma and extra effort on my part.

Stats wise he is the same

The buff he gets is the exclusive mods 

If those mods were to be shared - it would be a 1|1 match

Those mods need their polarities fixed

21 minutes ago, (PS4)big_eviljak said:

Im ok with that.

I hope future umbra are upgrades to prime variant.

Hello insane person.

No. Power creep is bad, especially when it serves no purpose but to make us play through the same content for a 3rd #*!%ing time.

Edited by TectonicKnight