Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Making Umbra polarity not available is a good choice.

Bratty_Child

Not baiting or trolling, just a feedback from me.

Umbral mods become more special and personified in its trait having its polarities only on Umbra frame and weapon. Despite being obviously is a serious issue of powercreep, its not global for all frames and weapon builds due to lack of polarity and excessive cost.

I hope they keep it this way, but add Umbra polarity forma option exclusive for Umbra stuff, since some people I saw changed the polarity.

It'd be better if they just locked the mods to Umbra frames, because in their current state they may as well be. Trying to use a set without access to their polarities costs about 48 energy, leaving you with 26 energy to spread across 6 more mod slots, and that's only if you have an aura with the correct polarity. It leaves you with an average of 4 energy per slot. It's pretty much gimps every high end build in the game.

It'd be better if they just locked them to Umbra frames and dropped their quality to rare at most, because dropping 150k endo and 7.5 million credits on one frame is just ludicrous.

Edited by TectonicKnight

The big problem I have right now is I have NO IDEA if any better umbral mods are coming, and I only have any interest in one of the three mods that we currently have (and if I want one, then there's no point in having three slots).

Currently I can't make a build half as good as my regular Excal's without getting rid of two if not all three of those.

It feels VERY inflexible and not at all what I like about modding.

3 minutes ago, TectonicKnight said:

t'd be better if they just locked the mods to Umbra frames, because in their current state they may as well be. Trying to use a set without access to their polarities costs about 48 energy, leaving you with 26 energy to spread across 6 more mod slots, and that's only if you have an aura with the correct polarity. It leaves you with an average of 4 energy per slot. It's pretty much gimps every high end build in the game

No - locking it would just reduce our options further.  You don't want to use it elsewhere at the high cost, don't.  But some of us do.

Additionally, while not being able to forma it in is somewhat limiting, its not a deal breaker since its unlikely you would use all of them on a min/max build anyway.  Which means rather than costing 1 forma to fit it, it might cost you 2 as you forma two other slots you wouldn't have had to otherwise (like lower cost mods such as Auger Secrets, or exilus mods etc).  Now that has its own issues as it constrains your multiple builds on the same frame option - but WF is all about trade offs.

In summary, what they did is probably a decent compromise but they should allow you to put the new polarity back on Umbra specific frame/weapons in the event you forma it out and decide you want it back.

@tucker_d_dawg Out of interest, please post your non-umbra frame builds that make use of these umbra mods, because I'm pretty sure there's no non-umbra frame build out there that doesn't just straight up gimp your frame.

I don't really see any other option, if they just hard locked them specifically to Umbra frames it'd fix all the other problems, the insane drain, their own special polarity, gating them behind obscene endo costs, all this would all be redundant, because  DE's goal was with these was clearly to restrict their use to Umbra frames.

It's strange they did the same thing with Umbra's exalted blade too, because doing so resulted in them needing to create a whole new weapon just to accommodate for the Umbra polarities, hence the extremely underwhelming new katana.

Edited by TectonicKnight

3 minutes ago, TectonicKnight said:

@tucker_d_dawg Out of interest, please post your non-umbra frame builds that make use of these umbra mods, because I'm pretty sure there's no non-umbra frame build out there that doesn't just straight up gimp your frame.

I haven't had time (or forma) to start hitting that up, and my primary account is XB - I do plan however on using umbral intensify to replace intensify on all power strength builds and can't off the top of my head think of a single build i have that I won't be able to do that with a forma or two.  I don't run survivability mods for most builds as they are by in large useless at upper levels anyway so the steel and vitality ones I likely won't use, but may try to squeeze vitality onto my eidolon volt and/or trinity builds - if the Tau resist works against them - testing required.

As for the weapon mods, I haven't thought about them much other than the crit chance one but testing required there too.

1 minute ago, tucker_d_dawg said:

-snip-

The new mods are sets. Umbral Intensify will only be better than the standard one if you use it with the other two Umbral mods in it's set, hence the 48 energy drain. Like I said, using these mods with a non-umbra frame will just gimp your build. DE need to take another look at this whole system, because being able to use these mods on all frames is pointless when the energy drain makes it non-viable.

12 minutes ago, tucker_d_dawg said:

Did you read the stats? 44%> 30%.  By a lot.

Didn't realize it was still a straight upgrade even if you break the set. The other two aren't. That's DE for you.

The polarity thing is still an issue. I really don't know if 14% extra power is even worth the 10 extra points you'd be forced to spend on the build, or if it's even viable in some builds. Regardless I'll still be sticking with blind rage.

Edited by TectonicKnight

2 minutes ago, Faaaiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee said:

That thing can replace Intensify and Power Drift in a single mod slot and lower cost.

Unless you polarized the slots in which case the other two mods are still cheaper.
Zero #*!%s given about power drift, I use rush.

My opinions:

1. I think Umbra mods should be locked to Umbra Warframes (not usable by non-Umbra Warframes).  

2. I think they shouldn't have added new polarities.  Somebody should be able to throw in a regular Intensify mod in that same slot, without having to Forma away the Umbra polarity (if you even can).  

They "fixed" Limbo's Stasis because players were angry another player was dictating their play style.  Umbra releases and DE makes specific mod choices for the player, essentially dictating their build setups.  

320?cb=20121117234455

I used the umbra fibre and umbra vitality fully upgraded on my Valkyr prime, with rage, gladiator resolve, fleeting expertise, streamline, primed continuity and a rank 5 blink rage, works pretty well

with steel charge as aura and no forma I believe, I am not on my PC so I am not quite sure

Edited by akira_him

I think it was a conscious decision to avoid people going overboard and putting 100 formas on their frames before the specifics of the new mod slots were discussed and ironed out.

I'm guessing the ability to forma tau polarity slots will arrive in a not too distant future and be available on all frames.

I really want to recreate, in some form, my regular excal build (it being pretty much minmaxed). To do this I'd have to get rid of the umbra polarities on his exalted blade; at this point I'm wondering whether I'll just be shooting myself in the foot... not really a great position to be in especially if it ends up being completely irreversible.

10 hours ago, akira_him said:

I used the umbra fibre and umbra vitality fully upgraded on my Valkyr prime, with rage, gladiator resolve, fleeting expertise, streamline, primed continuity and a rank 5 blink rage, works pretty well

with steel charge as aura and no forma I believe, I am not on my PC so I am not quite sure

5QnDhtZ.jpg

If I want to use the exilus mod I have to add 2 more formas but I guess this is fine

7 hours ago, akira_him said:

5QnDhtZ.jpg

If I want to use the exilus mod I have to add 2 more formas but I guess this is fine

Seems interesting.  If you dropped blind rage and gladiator, the umb intensify would be close to compensating for the strength and buff the vitality to compensate for resolve?  Then that would free up fleetings slot.

Nah they should be available for all especially considering you are investing ~200k endo. What I suggest is to have Vitruvians scattered around Lua maps and Derelict (kind of like how Ayatans spawn) and then apart from providing some lore, these can be used along with orokin ciphers from the vaults to craft Vitruvian forma that can be used on any frame. The layer of RNG will take care of the "power creep" that you speak of and not be a complete waste of 200k endo only to be effective on one frame

They should allow Umbra Polarity on normal frames. DE seems to have said NOT every frame will have an Umbra, and that will kind of suck that some frames just will never get those polarities. A double bummer if the frames that get those polarities do not have use for the Umbra mods. Like say, an Umbra Loki.

I'm a lowly console player but could DE be creating a new meta...?

Think about it:

How many times have you seen an Excal in ESO? 

How about Eidolon hunts?

Sorties?

Old Trials?

I love Excal. He was my starter. He's still my second most used frame, but rarely is he optimal for any of our current "endgame" content.

(Don't bother with the "but I run Excal in all of those...!" I have too. Doesn't mean I couldn't have made a better choice for my team)

It would be kind of brilliant if they were choosing Umbra frames for a new meta.

Sentient Hunters. Umbras.

Frames that even with a good bump in stats (from the Umbral mods that only they have access to) still don't fit in our current meta.

Just an idea. I doubt that's the plan.

Would be cool though if your best picks for future Sentient content were frames that people love but aren't chosen often like an Excal, Nyx, Ash, Valkyr, Mag, Ember, or a Vauban.

I know they're aware of their own meta, but it would be cool to see them embrace it and manipulate it.

Edited by (XB1)INe Saninus

1 minute ago, Seaward said:

Or just give us primed intensify, primed true steel and primed organ shatter 😛

This would be even better than Umbra Polarities on my Oberon...