Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

"how To Fix Volt! Omg" But Srs Just A Few Ideas I've Been Kickin' Around

Stinker

I've been kickin' some ideas around and I've posted them in a few threads here 'n there. Figured I'd just consolidate them into a thread of their own.

"VOLT can create and harness electrical elements. This is a high-damage Warframe perfect for players who want a potent alternative to gun-play."

Abilities:

Shock

• Drastically reduce it's cost to something a little bit more spammable. Like 10 or 15. Having second thoughts on this bit.
  • Either have 100% chance to stun what it touches or beef up the damage a wee bit. Could be done by detonating
  • Possibly rework the ability: Have the same execution it has now with the exception the lightning continues to fork back and forth between enemies up to X enemies at once for X duration for X damage per rank. (If you've played/watched a Demon Hunter on Diablo 3, think of the lightning ball aesthetic of the lightning chaining around only without the ball being the delivery system and it just forking between them) Not the best video nor game to illustrate what I mean, but hopefully it helps a little: http://youtu.be/tNEsdiMV9KQ

Speed

• Have the trail last for the entire effect, even when modified by power duration Woo! Got implemented!

Electric Shield

Basically merge the Dark Sector Shield with the current one

• The shield is anchored to the warframe instead of the ground
  • Incoming bullets are reflected in the direction the player is looking
  • Outgoing bullets gain the electricity buff the shield provides currently (could even extend this to reflected bullets)

Overload

Turn the ability into that dirty EMP it seems to be only with a touch of warframe awesome.

• In addition to electronics around the ship, detonate any grenades an enemy is carrying, reserve rockets heavy grineer would be carrying, cause corpus flyers to self destruct, phobos flying grineer packs to explode, etc etc.
  • Destroy / detonate any shots fired within' overload's reach for the duration of it's effect or explosively destroy any weapon that attempts to fire during the overload effect. (causing a disarmed state)
  • Have overload react with personal shields. Like mag's polarize only with more electricity sparking off and a complete stripping of their personal shields/detonation of some sort.

Stats:

I have no issues with Armor/Shields/Health. They make sense and the shields are plenty to go ham on the melee if so desired.

Edited by Stinker

I've been kickin' some ideas around and I've posted them in a few threads here 'n there. Figured I'd just consolidate them into a thread of their own.

"VOLT can create and harness electrical elements. This is a high-damage Warframe perfect for players who want a potent alternative to gun-play."

Abilities:

Shock

• Drastically reduce it's cost to something a little bit more spammable. Like 10 or 15.
  • Either have 100% chance to stun what it touches or beef up the damage a wee bit.

Speed

• Have the trail last for the entire effect, even when modified by power duration

Electric Shield

Basically merge the Dark Sector Shield with the current one

• The shield is anchored to the warframe instead of the ground
  • Incoming bullets are reflected in the direction the player is looking
  • Outgoing bullets gain the electricity buff the shield provides currently (could even extend this to reflected bullets)

Overload

Basically, turn the ability into that dirty EMP it seems to be only with more LEMP than your stereotypical EMP with a touch of warframe awesome.

• In addition to electronics around the ship, detonate any grenades an enemy is carrying.
  • Destroy / detonate any shots fired within' overload's reach for the duration of it's effect or explosively destroy any weapon that attempts to fire during the overload effect.
  • Have overload react with personal shields. Like mag's polarize only with more electricity sparking off and a complete stripping of their personal shields/detonation of some sort.

Stats:

I have no issues with Armor/Shields/Health. They make sense.

Speed on the other hand could use a buff. Volt get's left in the dust by everything but Frost it seems. I frequently find myself activating speed for the group, falling behind, activating speed again to catch up, activate speed for the group, fall behind, etcetcetcetc

I understand it'd be the opposite if Volt were too fast, he'd leave everyone in the dust and would be constantly waiting around for them to catch up. So maybe a middle ground of sorts could be reached?

1.shock is all ready balanced greatly = focus with streamline and stretch using that can hit as many as up to 7 targets (chained) and it can easily 1 shot them if they are under 48 , witch most of the planets you will be doing to get basic essential stuff is no problem..

2,speed could use a extra buff maybe last 1-2 seconds longer or so but nothing else

3. shield i think could be better like that where its in front of the body but , however it would be to easy to twist and turn to reflect bullets so if your quick enough you can essentially reflect most bullets hitting you

4.overload defo needs a buff in somewhat a way , does hardly anything to 41+ for a ultimate with stretch + focus + duration that should easily kill them within that time frame instead still leaves most enemies with there health bar quarter of the way still left

as for stats , no no no Speed is perfectly find buffing it anymore would mean he could be on far with nova , then that spells trouble even with speed activated thats going to cause problems ,

his stats are in complete perfect balance as of now , its his ability's that need some change

Edited by DiBBz

1.shock is all ready balanced greatly = focus with streamline and stretch using that can hit as many as up to 7 targets (chained) and it can easily 1 shot them if they are under 48 , witch most of the planets you will be doing to get basic essential stuff is no problem.. On corpus, yeah. On anything else? nope. Took my volt to phobos when it first came out, it barely knocks the shield off (these were mid level 20 grineer btw) if even that. Once it's through the shield it simply does nothing. It's completely ineffective against infested.

2,speed could use a extra buff maybe last 1-2 seconds longer or so but nothing else. idk, it already lasts a really long time with the helm/constitution/continuity. I can definitely see wanting to buff it so you don't need all those mods though

3. shield i think could be better like that where its in front of the body but , however it would be to easy to twist and turn to reflect bullets so if your quick enough you can essentially reflect most bullets hitting you That's easily remedied by three things. 1. It cost 75 energy 2. That would be the least efficient way to use the shield. 3. The shield could take it's time to 'catch up' to where you are pointing, rendering said tactic moot.

Edited by Stinker

Change the description to "Volt is a medium damage Warframe perfect for players who want to fight low level enemies."  Done, fixed.

The inability of electricity to pierce armor is Volt's second most fundamental flaw, but his first is that he's supposed to be an alternative to gunplay.  Even Electric Shield (his best ability) inherently relies on guns to be useful.

Even Electric Shield (his best ability) inherently relies on guns to be useful.

One of the reasons I keep saying they should combine the shield out of Dark Sector with the one he has now, it would let you go melee things, while shooting things without having to ever pull a trigger. Was one of my favorite things in Dark Sector :D

You should be able to use shock while walking/running, instead of sitting there and poking your enemies a little bit. Shock also needs a damage and stun increase.

Speed needs to be changed. Maybe, if it damaged nearby enemies with relatively low electric damage, then it would be cool.

Electric Shield should not be static.

3. shield i think could be better like that where its in front of the body but , however it would be *edit* too *edit* easy to twist and turn to reflect bullets so if *edit* you're *edit* quick enough you can essentially reflect most bullets hitting you

I think this would kinda be the point. It would be nice to reflect most bullets if you're skilled enough. When it comes to the issue of balancing Volt, remember that he is currently less useful than Mag, and Nova is currently OP. Instead of trying to base Volt's skills around not being OP, just get them buffed first, and if they're OP, then we can downscale them a bit. The Dark Sector shield would be much better than the static shield we have now. Nobody likes static electricity -except maybe people in real life who use static electricity for real life benefits.-

Overload needs a change in damage, and mechanics big time. I hate having to rely on electronics to do real damage. Electronics don't exist in any faction other than corpus -even the lights in Grineer ships that you'd think would count as electronics.-  To add to this terrible skill, the animation is too long, and is only a good way to commit suicide.

Volts stats need changing too. I can't agree with DiBBz. Volt's base speed needs to be increased, and maybe his base power. I don't really care if his base power goes up or not, but his base speed definitely needs to be increased.

I don't see why most games try to nerf electric damage. Dark Souls seemed to get it right. The last thing you want is to come across a Dark Wraith with a +15 Washing Pole, and see him coat his weapon with Gold Pine Resin.

Edited by saltshaker42

1.shock is all ready balanced greatly = focus with streamline and stretch using that can hit as many as up to 7 targets (chained) and it can easily 1 shot them if they are under 48 , witch most of the planets you will be doing to get basic essential stuff is no problem..

2,speed could use a extra buff maybe last 1-2 seconds longer or so but nothing else

3. shield i think could be better like that where its in front of the body but , however it would be to easy to twist and turn to reflect bullets so if your quick enough you can essentially reflect most bullets hitting you

4.overload defo needs a buff in somewhat a way , does hardly anything to 41+ for a ultimate with stretch + focus + duration that should easily kill them within that time frame instead still leaves most enemies with there health bar quarter of the way still left

as for stats , no no no Speed is perfectly find buffing it anymore would mean he could be on far with nova , then that spells trouble even with speed activated thats going to cause problems ,

his stats are in complete perfect balance as of now , its his ability's that need some change

What. No. No. No. No. No. Shock doesn't one hit anything. Maybe corpus under level 20 but nothing else. Speed is not fine for Volt. He is an electric frame. Electricity is fast. Volt is slow as balls. His stats suck. His armor? Bad. Speed? Bad. And his shields and health don't cover jack since his low armor rating causes them to be blown through in an instant.

Same here. Where is the alternative for gunplay? Where? You shoot 3 Shocks just to kill one enemy and then? then you run for your life to gather new orbs to shoot 3 Shocks again. And if you try to move around faster with speed than keep in mind that your companions are now miles away from you because they will profit from speed too. I agree with making speed a group ability but Volt is not fast not at all. So if he uses Speed than everybody is just running away and that can't be the purpose the one who should be lightning fast is the one that makes the other ones lightning fast(for example ash or loki).

The biggest point is really his alternative gunplay feature which doesn't exist the really should buff shock.

- Buff Shock

- Buff his Speed

- Maybe give him an ability which let the player rely on Volts powers

It's funny how the forum literally explodes with Volt threads.

Also for this thread, i'm throwing some more ideas around:

Volt is advertised as a Warframe who can go berserk without guns. He should kill enemies without needing to shoot one bullet/star whatever. There are so many possibilities to improve Volt.

Volt should be an speed and ability based high damage Warframe who also fights in meele combat (Speed already supports meele combat and speed). Well, simply an alternate to gun play (abillities + meele).

Maybe you could change Electric Shield into some kind of charge ability, where you get a shield afterwards so you don't die in a flash when you go raging in meele combat against high level enemies. 

Something like this:

3xqa.gif

e8NjR.gif

You know i always thought of Volt as Raiden in the Warframe universe, just more caster based :P (NEED that electricity effect on the ground D:) but that's just me.

ibfnLG7se1xylV.gif

iCJFJD4Bgi7P9.gif

tumblr_m4i8jvV6zC1qzk4cro1_500.gif

Edited by Snow.

It wont happen, but I would love shock to be like Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, where you hold the triangle button down and it gradually drains your energy as you lightining jumps to anything close and gradually kills it.

--I swear, finding a .gif for this is godam impossible--

http://youtu.be/Rk05rDCH6p0?t=6m18s

Something like that.

Edited by Lyelentu

• 1 month later...

I think it'd be interesting if Shock would do bonus hits when there's fewer than the max number of targets, OR if the damage was exponentially cumulative(ie. passing through more targets allows more to flow, and, thus, more damage).

Do NOT want the shield changed. It's a great impromptu defensive barrier. It could be better, but turning it into a mere damage buff for one person is, in fact, a massive nerf compared to what it is now.

The ULT feels like it's distinctively missing something. Not sure what, but it feels very underpowered compared with other ults.

What it's missing?

Not being in the line of fire for everything on the map for five seconds, for starters. My Volt's level 27, and I'm mostly playing early-game content. A buddy took me into an Orokin Void Defense mission, and … it was ugly. I'd crack off a #4 when the packs got thick, and it was not unusual to see them not die, and me go down before I got clear. Getting completely dead before the Overload was complete was also a problem.

It's unsatisfying to crack off an ultimate and wonder why nobody fell down. :(