Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Can we give Umbra a voice?

rhoenix

He howls, and he's still obviously intelligent.  Having him be able to speak might introduce some very interesting conversations between him and the Operator.

This might require a quest to give him a voice box or something, but I'd be okay with that.

What do you think?

1 hour ago, -SDM-NerevarCM said:

No. Warframes don't talk. Including Umbra

Partially excluding Valkyr. She doesn't TALK but she does have a voice. If she ever gets an Umbra I'd like to hear her talk, even (or especially) if it's not coherent.

2 hours ago, Loza03 said:

Partially excluding Valkyr. She doesn't TALK but she does have a voice. If she ever gets an Umbra I'd like to hear her talk, even (or especially) if it's not coherent.

What part of her screams/yells are even vaguely voice-like? Still a frame, still no talking.

There is nothing in the frames that would result in anything coherent or understandable. The only communication the frame has with the Operator are images/memories.

This is solidly against the existing lore.

It's against common experiences, but not necessarily against lore.  Several of the warframes vocalize in different ways, even if none of them have vocal chords anymore.

After all, in an Orokin's mind, why would a soldier need to talk?  The Helminth strain was likely modified to include removing vocal chords as a "feature" - but, we are not Orokin, and we can still command Helminth.

None of the others show the same sapience Umbra does, and his sapience didn't go away after operator and he linked through Transference.

12 hours ago, peterc3 said:

What part of her screams/yells are even vaguely voice-like? Still a frame, still no talking.

There is nothing in the frames that would result in anything coherent or understandable. The only communication the frame has with the Operator are images/memories.

This is solidly against the existing lore.

A voice does not necessarily mean speech, and you seem to be conflating the two. She distinctly has a human voice in her screams (as opposed to Nidus or Umbra, who have animalistic and almost mechanical sounding vocalisations respectively), since she is, in fact, voiced by Megan, a human. Sure there are effects added to it, but Valkyr has a voice. She just doesn't, and almost certainly can't, talk.

For the theoretical Umbra Valkyr, I specifically say "Even (or especially) if it's not coherent." Speech and communication should not be conflated either. I know that frames can't communicate outside of images, but that doesn't mean they can't talk. Just because Valkyr Umbra might talk, doesn't mean she'd be saying anything. I could see her yelling random, aggressive-sounding, words, possibly in a dead language like old Norse, or in a made-up language that has 'words' that don't mean anything. She'd be talking, sure but she sure as hell wouldn't be communicating anything with those words.

i think it would be pretty cool if Umbra could talk, like the more you use him, the more of a bond you get.

like at the beginning, he says nothing, then through time he starts talking more and more, and every now and then, you could give him a little fist bump, or a high five!

... also, wouldn't it make sense for Umbra to copy your play style?

like, Warframe could record how you play, such as if your an exalted blade spammer, he will pop exalted blade whenever he can.

if you run around like crazy, he would go around the map jumping and sliding while attacking.

if you main as a melee he will go melee.

i mean, he is sentient, and your both linked.

so your actions are his, as his are yours.

oh, also i feel like the operator should be mod-able.

and i think he should get melee weapons.