Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Fighting Umbra is terrible!!!

Ragna677

On 2018-06-18 at 3:22 PM, Chewarette said:

Yeah just advice to someone who is MR6-8 to just wait literal weeks before actually being able to continue the questline, what a great idea.

It's not even a must do quest (in the sense of progression) like tsd or tww. I'm sure people would stumble upon cetus and poe first before sacrifice, so they can get better amps there.

But on a related note, i too did it with a fresh born operator. It was hard, but doable without dying a lot if you manage between dashing and gaining energy from that, void crouching, and attacking well enough.

Wasn’t that bad for me. I had a good amp and some waybound abilities unlocked. You can’t really “die” either. And fighting the sentients once you got him was easy enough. Especially since I play as excalibur most of the time, using Umbra was child’s play. Simply put, I was ready for it. Some say the sacrifice was an underwhelming addition. Well it’s not really meant to be a major dlc-type update. It tells a story nothing more. And imo I liked it

On 2018-06-18 at 11:14 AM, Datam4ss said:

That's the price of rushing to get things done. Less preparation = more risk and difficulties. It's applicable in real life as well.

I'm not going to check everyone's profile just to see their MR before I reply.

I wouldn't call it ''rushing'' since the game doesn't even tell you you can make your operator stronger, know what the game says if you want to unlock more focus abilities? ''go see the quills'' which is about as useful advice as ''press the attack button to attack'' it tells you absolutely nothing, I've played for half a year without even knowing you could improve your operator or that it even had equipment, and of course the only way to do that is allot of grinding, if you're in a party where everyone has the base mote amp, which happened 8/10 times with me, it can take upwards of 30 minutes just taking out 1 eidolon and getting quill standing that way can take a long time to get a better amp if you only got the time for 1/2 eidolons a day.

11 hours ago, cghawk said:

I wouldn't call it ''rushing'' since the game doesn't even tell you you can make your operator stronger, know what the game says if you want to unlock more focus abilities? ''go see the quills'' which is about as useful advice as ''press the attack button to attack'' it tells you absolutely nothing, I've played for half a year without even knowing you could improve your operator or that it even had equipment, and of course the only way to do that is allot of grinding, if you're in a party where everyone has the base mote amp, which happened 8/10 times with me, it can take upwards of 30 minutes just taking out 1 eidolon and getting quill standing that way can take a long time to get a better amp if you only got the time for 1/2 eidolons a day.

Game also doesn't tell you what mods go on what frame, or what gun is best for what gun. You have to figure it out yourself. It's not that hard to do some research and prepare yourself for any content.

If you end up undergeared, the joke's on you, not the game. The game gave you the tools and you had adequate resources to gain information from (other players, the wiki, streamers etc). 

This is why I call it rushing. People who decide to just start a quest because they "want it now" without bothering to first upgrade themselves will have a rough time. 

Just now, FillyRarity said:

Since there isn't really an incentive to even use or upgrade the operator it is kinda rubbish you have to use the thing heavily in the quest.

Its the last of the Tenno Story trilogy. All of them featured the operator... because its about the operator...

Just now, Firetempest said:

Its the last of the Tenno Story trilogy. All of them featured the operator... because its about the operator...

I know. The point was since there's not really an incentive to use or upgrade the operator it's kinda rubbish that you use the thing heavily in the quest.

6 minutes ago, FillyRarity said:

I know. The point was since there's not really an incentive to use or upgrade the operator it's kinda rubbish that you use the thing heavily in the quest.

There is plenty of incentive, increasing frame melee damage, armor. free energy for all. get more lives. turning others invisible. Raising downed people with immunity. Void damage obliterates just about everything and causes bullet attractor bubbles and is a infinite ammo gun.

Edited by Firetempest

24 minutes ago, Datam4ss said:

Game also doesn't tell you what mods go on what frame, or what gun is best for what gun. You have to figure it out yourself. It's not that hard to do some research and prepare yourself for any content.

There's a substantial difference between "The game doesn't tell you how to min-max your frame" and "the game doesn't even hint that there's operator gear, and I can't google what I don't even know exists."

On 2018-06-18 at 1:07 AM, Ragna677 said:

Okay so I'm getting to the parts where I'm fighting Umbra with my Operator but Umbra just kills me in two to 3 hits. All I can do is just keep respawning and whittling him down. Its killing the whole feel of the quest!!! 

Jump onto something tall, and he can't get to you.

Edited by Eidolon_Slayer

2 minutes ago, Firetempest said:

There is plenty of incentive, increasing frame melee damage, armor. free energy for all. get more lives. turning others invisible. Raising downed people with immunity. Void damage obliterates just about everything and causes bullet attractor bubbles and is a infinite ammo gun.

The only thing I ever saw from the operator was the invisiblity but I sort of just gave up with it because shooting cameras or just playing a stealth frame seemed more efficient. I'm genuinely open to the idea that I missed something, but I did the Sacr. and was kinda just like "I've never used this thing for anything I have to fight with it?".

Yeah, it seems like you want to farm up a bunch of Focus, Arcanes, and a decent Amp before doing the quest.

You think The Sacrifice would actually require a specific level of Standing with the Quills. My wife had a hard time doing the quest cause she hasn't done very much Eidolon hunting yet.

14 hours ago, ReinAxefury said:

The fight is fine and actually trivial if you have the t3 scaffold for your amp, but i guess people should invest more into their operators, the game should point that out.

I had a 2-1-2 amp and it was still easy.

Edited by DrakeWurrum

Some tips:

1.You can dash out of range when Umbra does his javelin

2.You can kite him so that he never catches up to you and damage him

3.Your damage does not reset so you can actually just whittle down and revive over and over again

Very few people bothered to learn the intricacies of Operator combat!

14 hours ago, Shoryuu said:

Umbra isn't underpowered. I spammed his 2 and his 4 and took down the sentiments in 3 hits......

Right?  It's like people forget that he DOES have his Umbral/Sacrificial Mods equipped, and THOSE are literally Anti-Sentient.  He's better equipped for this fight than most, tbh.  I had no issue.  Use his Howl, removes resistances AND stuns, and finish 'em with your EB.   Where's the issue?

On 2018-06-18 at 4:07 AM, Ragna677 said:

Okay so I'm getting to the parts where I'm fighting Umbra with my Operator but Umbra just kills me in two to 3 hits. All I can do is just keep respawning and whittling him down. Its killing the whole feel of the quest!!! 

Take a break and go level your stuff.

Also, this thread should have a SPOILER tag, js.  Please be considerate of other players.

4 hours ago, Datam4ss said:

If you end up undergeared, the joke's on you, not the game. The game gave you the tools and you had adequate resources to gain information from (other players, the wiki, streamers etc). 

This is why I call it rushing. People who decide to just start a quest because they "want it now" without bothering to first upgrade themselves will have a rough time. 

so you call it rushing if I have to wiki every single thing in the game because the game doesn't explain anything? really? what makes you think people have the time to wiki every thing in the game? say you got 1 hour a day to play games, you don't want to spend that 1 hour looking up videos and wiki's just to figure out how some parts of the game works, and like I said, I didn't know upgrading your operator was even possible so I also didn't know to wiki/google it obviously.

I swear it always boggles my mind when people are against tutorials, is it the same people who are against an invincibility mode in star fox zero and mario? or auto steering in mario cart? has to be

Isnt it funny how most people's first job, when reaching actual difficulty in game is to complain on to the forums instead(of you know) going for the wiki page,youtube or simply asking players in game for information on how to deal with it?! Yes sure the game doesnt explain very well how things go but after ! 2 quests ! in wich you use the operator in combat it kinda makes it obvious that there would be more to combat than simply "go here and shoot them all".

5 minutes ago, cghawk said:

say you got 1 hour a day to play games, you don't want to spend that 1 hour looking up videos and wiki's just to figure out how some parts of the game works

If theres actual people like that then i can only say that a looter game(in general) like warframe isnt for them.Also WF is a game wich makes it obvious very fast that the best way to find information about ... well everything is either by asking the players on the chat or using the wiki page.And if you dont have the time for that or dont want to bother then its kinda your problem.

25 minutes ago, cghawk said:

I didn't know upgrading your operator was even possible so I also didn't know to wiki/google it obviously

Thats perfectly normal because most people in warframe simply ignore the comments of the NPCs and just go for the new things, Especially in the PoE.Honestly havent you bother to go against a eidolon for the arcanes or to simply see what is like to kill them?Or where you just oblivious to everything operator related?!

44 minutes ago, cghawk said:

I swear it always boggles my mind when people are against tutorials

No one is against tutorials in WF but when you dont have a good one in game,you use the next best thing wich is the wiki page and the chat!

55 minutes ago, cghawk said:

so you call it rushing if I have to wiki every single thing in the game because the game doesn't explain anything? really? what makes you think people have the time to wiki every thing in the game? say you got 1 hour a day to play games, you don't want to spend that 1 hour looking up videos and wiki's just to figure out how some parts of the game works, and like I said, I didn't know upgrading your operator was even possible so I also didn't know to wiki/google it obviously.

I swear it always boggles my mind when people are against tutorials, is it the same people who are against an invincibility mode in star fox zero and mario? or auto steering in mario cart? has to be

4 hours ago, fadingtheory said:

There's a substantial difference between "The game doesn't tell you how to min-max your frame" and "the game doesn't even hint that there's operator gear, and I can't google what I don't even know exists."

Just a simple question to you two. Why is it that somehow you two (and a few others) somehow cannot use a third party resource or bother to find anything out when everyone else you know, survived without any tutorials, me included.

If there is a substantial proportion of the playerbase who bothered to find out, farm and did not complain in existence, then I really start to question if the quest was really badly designed, or is it just a few players being lazy.

Before you start calling me a MR 24 halfway to 25 elitist who has too many things, I assure you I was once MR 0 with no fancy maxed out mods, rivens or prime frames. And I survived with no tutorials or help (outside of a few base mods given to me by a at that time "vet player"), and was a solo player for a long time before I decided pubs gave me 3 meat shields even if the others were incompetent.

That's why I called it rushing. I got my current amp in the short span of one plague star for wisps and a week of Eidolons for the standing to get amp parts. Sure, wisps are an annoying grind. But they are obtainable.

For those who are lazy to work for operator upgrades, and also lazy to bother finding out anything, it just makes their life hard. Like how you need to study before taking a test or going for an interview. You slack off, you pay the price.

Edited by Guest

1 minute ago, Datam4ss said:

Just a simple question to you two. Why is it that somehow you two (and a few others) somehow cannot use a third party resource or bother to find anything out when everyone else you know, survived without any tutorials, me included.

Again: I can't google what I don't know exists.

1 minute ago, fadingtheory said:

Again: I can't google what I don't know exists.

So explain how I know it exists when you somehow don't know?

Are you going to call me a precognitive magician with access to archives of knowledge from the heavens just to justify your "ignorance"?

Edited by Guest

Just now, Datam4ss said:

So explain how I know it exists when you somehow don't know?

Are you going to call me a precognitive magician with access to archives of knowledge from the heavens?

How should I know? Maybe you can point to the place in the game where Operator gear is mentioned? It's a lot easier to point to where it is mentioned to all the places where it isn't.

I would really be interested to know though. Ever since I learned about amps, I've been asking everyone I know how they found out about it. Most people say a friend who played the game before them clued them in, and one said they knew about it from the patch/release notes/announcements when they came out. I don't know of anyone who figured it out on their own, and no one seems to remember or no of a place where its mentioned in game, besides perhaps stumbling across the actual place where amps come from.