Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Guide] The Ember

Engelheim

Question

[size=6]Ember got boned in update 9.8. I'll test her abilities and I may update the guide.[/size]

EmberPack.png

The Ember

EMBER is a nightmare for light-armored targets. Ember can super-heat the air which opens up surprising crowd-control possibilities.

Ember, the fire Warframe, is true to her description and will mercilessly burn anything and everything when played correctly. Her offensive and defensive abilities make her one of the strongest frames available. And, in the near future Ember will be receiving a buff which will hopefully further increase her destructive capabilities.

Ember is, by nature, an anti-Infested Warframe as fire innately does twice the damage to all types of Infested. Her efficiency against the Corpus is nearly paralleled as well. The Grineer are less inclined to fear fire but Ember does have her uses against them.

Besides her statistical attributes she is very fun to play. Pyromaniacs rejoice.

To add some credibility to my guide I'm a rank 10 player that has played and maxed all frames with the exception of Vauban. Ember is my main Warframe with over 90 hours played on her alone.

Basic Attributes

Ember can be farmed from General Sargus Ruk on Tethys, Saturn.

Ember has average shields and HP. However she shares the highest energy pool among Warframes which can further be augmented by the Phoenix Helmet. Her armor and sprint speed are also average. Ember has two — polarities which are perfect for casting mods such as streamline, flow, and constitution. She has a V aura mod.

Skills

Ember only has two very useful skills, Overheat and World on Fire (WoF). However these two skills are more than enough to stay alive and kill everything.

Skills: Fireball

Fireball, like many other first skills, is more or less useless at higher levels. It is one of the more higher damaging skills and offers AoE and tick damage but it is affected by resistances and thus will become ineffective later on.

Skills: Overheat

Overheat is, arguably, the best tanking skill in the game. Whilst Rhino has Iron Skin which lasts indefinitely, it is capped at 1560 damage (w/ mods). Trinity has Link but costs more energy and has less base duration than Overheat.

Overheat, with the Focus mod, will negate 91% of all damage; this includes poison, lasers, etc. This basically makes you invincible for the entire duration of the skill as you'd have to take several thousand damage to even break your shields. Furthermore, Overheat will give you a small aura of fire which will do 100 damage-ignoring ticks to any enemy that touches you. Overheat will protect from disruption until around lv 100.

Overheat can break crates and explosive barrels. Be careful when on Corpus Ships as touching the windows will break them.

Always be wary of the duration of Overheat. It is easy to forget to recast whilst taking enormous damage which can be dangerous. The only things you should be wary of are poison (even though it's reduced) and Phorid's needles (which do 20 HP per needle). Also unlike other tanking abilities it is susceptible to stagger and knock down.

Skills: Fireblast

Fireblast is a sub-par skill that can be left out of your build. It does armor-ignoring damage but does not work with Focus. Since its base damage is low it wont be as efficient against higher level enemies with more HP. Its only saving grace is that it is a near-instant cast skill that can stack, allowing for a panic skill when surrounded by heavies.

Skills: World on Fire

WoF is one of the highest damage ultimates in Warframe along with Miasma and Molecular Prime. It can target 3 enemies within its range and damage them for the duration of the ability. It will kill light infested and MOAs in one or two ticks. WoF is particularly useful when handling bosses as it will either outright kill them or keep their shields down. When combined with Overheat one just needs to stand and shoot until the boss dies.

Alternatively WoF is useful when trying to do stealth. It will either kill enemies or stun them long enough for your to dispatch them. This can allow you to rush through missions stealthily as, for some reason, enemies wont alert the ship once enough distance has been made between you and them.

Use caution when casting it as it does have a relatively long casting time.

Loadout

jbfhUChi6nifTK.jpg

Unfortunately for Ember, she is a forma intensive frame to get the best results. She also requires a lot of rare mods which may be troublesome obtaining for newer players.

Vitality and Stretch can be switched with Thief's Wit/Master Thief and Rush respectively.

For weapons you'd want something that can take down heavies as WoF will destroy all of the light enemies. Ogris is particularly efficient as Ember can tank the AoE damage. When trying to level melee be wary of using Overheat as it may kill enemies.

Factions

Factions: Corpus

Ember is excellent against the Corpus. MOAs will take 3x or 4x as much damage from WoF which is not affected by resistances. This means that even at lv100+ MOAs will die within 2 or 3 ticks. Corpus Crewmen will either die or be stunned for a few seconds from WoF. Ospreys, with their low health, will suffer a similar fate.

Factions: Grineer

Grineer do have relatively high resistances to fire, however, Ember can still kill them without much trouble for most missions. Like Crewmen, the light Grineer will be stunned from fire and using WoF will help keep some Grineer from shooting you.

Factions: Infested

As stated earlier, Infested will take 2x as much damage from Ember's skills. Ember can easily clear a wave of light infested from one WoF. Ancients are a bit more of a concern and should be taken down with priority. Be extremely careful when in range of Disruptors as your energy pool is the key to your survival.

Conclusion

Ember is indeed one of the strongest frames in terms of survivability and damage. Although she does have her shortcomings in some respects, she is extremely useful as a general purpose frame. Her true potential is not available to newer players but to the established Tenno, she is well worth the investment.

Use the power of infernos well, Tenno.

Edited by Engelheim

25 answers to this question

To add even more Credibility...I've put 140 hours into Ember, gotten almost 15 million experience with her, and could easily have gotten more. I have dominated everything i have ever been involved with, and i have an almost 300 long streak of winning in Duels. So i consider myself pretty much THE Ember Expert. So I am totally qualified to say that every single word of OP's post is perfectly worded, and absolutely accurate.  Any aspiring Ember player would do well to follow in his footsteps.

To add even more Credibility...I've put 140 hours into Ember, gotten almost 15 million experience with her, and could easily have gotten more. I have dominated everything i have ever been involved with, and i have an almost 300 long streak of winning in Duels. So i consider myself pretty much THE Ember Expert. So I am totally qualified to say that every single word of OP's post is perfectly worded, and absolutely accurate.  Any aspiring Ember player would do well to follow in his footsteps.

Thanks!

so I'm stuck between making a sayrn or ember...could someone tell me which one would be better? :\ without biasm too?

It depends on the player. What exactly do you want to do? Saryn has a few different uses than Ember.

In terms of damage, Saryn will do more damage to enemies around lv 30-100. Afterwords pretty much every damage ability is moot as the HP becomes extremely high.

That being said, Ember is more efficient for survivability.

Saryn really is an awesome Frame.

Unlike most, ALL of her skills are useful. So she does have more Utility than Ember. You can do a lot of neat things with saryn, so strategy is involved. Ember....Shes built to kill. Thats all she does and all she really can do, But she does it so amazingly well.

Saryn's Ult does a lot of damage, but its not a continuous effect, so the kill ratios are in Ember's favor.

Biggest Difference? ARMOR! Saryn has 125(last time i checked) and Ember only has 10. While Overheat takes care of that completely, you have to make absolutely sure you Never run out of the energy to cast Overheat. If you run out, You could be toast (no pun intended)

Whereas Saryn, even with no energy at all, has really nice armor and has a much greater sustain.

I've played A LOT on both frames, and i prefer Ember, just because of the absolutely horrifying amounts of damage she freely radiates.

Edited by Aigloblam

uhm, why forma other slots rather than the aura slot.

first redo aura slot to a line, then do your build and see if you even need much more, anymore i don't run that much redirection or vitality

I put two forma in, One for the Aura, one to give it an Extra V slot. I dont even run Redirection or Vitality anymore, not since Vigor came out. Its all i need.

But i didnt have some slots left over, so i went ahead and dropped fire blast in, I never use it except when im helping in lower levels, or when im in a defense map....its a great panic button. Just drop about 8 of them and it will do decent damage, but stun long enough to cast WoF and Overheat, before they are back to nailing you in the face.

uhm, why forma other slots rather than the aura slot.

first redo aura slot to a line, then do your build and see if you even need much more, anymore i don't run that much redirection or vitality

I used forma before auras were introduced. Anyway on Infested defense I'd rather have more vitality just because of the amount of poison ancients. Redirection also helps as my teammates often go down when my Overheat is about to run out. I'll probably switch these for Vigor when I get around to leveling it.

So....Question Time.

Phoenix vs Backdraft?

Personally i prefer the Stats of Phoenix, but the look of Backdraft. With such a hardcore caster, the bonus energy of the Phoenix gives me (487 total) is much better than the health...at least for me.

So....Question Time.

Phoenix vs Backdraft?

Personally i prefer the Stats of Phoenix, but the look of Backdraft. With such a hardcore caster, the bonus energy of the Phoenix gives me (487 total) is much better than the health...at least for me.

I'm in the same dilemma. If you do choose the Backdraft helmet you'll only lose 37 energy, which is around the cost of an Overheat. That energy could mean between life and death but I'd rather look good dying, personally.

The guide, TL;DR:

Everything under level 40? WoF

Everything above? Overheat.

GG

No.

Excellent writeup. I had to check this out because I love Ember, and while I didn't learn anything new, it is an excellent guide. One thing to note, though - in livestream 10 or 11 (I can't remember), I think it was briefly mentioned that the devs will be taking a look at Ember's powers.

What's the bug with WoF? It works fine for me.

Works fine for me.

There is nothing at all wrong with Ember..........And i have my 14 mil XP with her to back me up on it :)

The thing with WoF is, that it damages 3 enemies per tick when you are NOT hosting. If you do, you only damage 1 enemy per tick. This bug is known since mid June.

Thoughts on using Fast Deflection over Vitality?

Fast Deflection isn't really needed and in general isn't a great mod. The default shield regen should suffice especially with Overheat.

Vitality could be switched out for some non-health/shield mod but if you're planning to do high level areas I do recommend that you use Vitality. It will help a lot with keeping your alive when Overheat runs out or when there's Poison Ancients.

The thing with WoF is, that it damages 3 enemies per tick when you are NOT hosting. If you do, you only damage 1 enemy per tick. This bug is known since mid June.

I pretty much Only host and it works perfectly fine for me.

But that must SUCK for the ones thats happening too....