Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Dedicated Mission Servers

GA-Bulletproof

So Steve said in an interview that back in 2013 game development had to be cheap and that is why they decided to make a P2P based game instead of having a dedicated server infrastructure. With the recent increase in players due to "The Sacrifice" it just showed how bad some peoples internet and computers are. When i am aiming (as client) at an enemy and he is struggling to move forward because his feet are moving on the same spot the game experience goes down the drain for me. It is not fun being stuck in a mission and opting out the first chance you get because the host sucks is not productive for anyone.

When my computer is on i wouldn't mind it being abused for others to host missions. I have a 400MBit down and 50Mbit up internet connection and that little bit of processing for player/enemy location wouldn't bother me. So please make a community backed dedicated mission server option in the launcher so that if i am not playing others can more easily. Also the ping matchmaking is kind of useless on some machines if the ping spikes like crazy as soon as they get a little bit of load on their machine.

I hope at some point this becomes a thing or the decision is made to actually invest into some servers located around the globe for those toasters...Umbra out 😄

I'm actually surprised Warframe is still P2P based after all this time, everyone knows that P2P sucks compared to the alternative. And really, at this point there's no excuse for it, Warframe today is far, far removed from the small low budget project it was in 2013 when plenty of us started playing.

To me it shows one of two things:

- They're unwilling to get rid of it in favor of a server much more like what most MMO's have (yes yes, inb4 ''warframe not an mmo'' comments). Possibly due to the effort it would probably require.

- They no longer can, meaning they and we are basically stuck with it at this point. It's not uncommon for something to be so thoroughly baked into the foundation of something, be it a game or a piece of software, that you can no longer simply remove it and replace it with something better.

Whilst DE might not be in the same spot they were 5 years ago you are asking them to effectively throw away a percentage of their monthly profits and that isn't going to go down well with their investors.

Most MMOs follow the subscription model so they have a much clearer idea of how much cash is coming in each month (at least until they start failing and go F2P out of desperation) so they can budget accordingly for dedicated servers. With Warframe I'm willing to bet the monthly input from plat can vary wildly therefore projecting how much they could afford to spend on servers would be much harder/riskier. P2P has got them where they are and I'll bet there is a certain "don't rock the boat" attitude to the whole thing.

Adding a "never make me the host" would be a good step in the right direction but that is going to make it harder for matchmaking to put squads together as big chunks of rural America is likely to enable it as would a lot of Australia meaning you would have some fairly large areas with nobody willing to host.

20 minutes ago, Shalath said:

Whilst DE might not be in the same spot they were 5 years ago you are asking them to effectively throw away a percentage of their monthly profits and that isn't going to go down well with their investors.

Most MMOs follow the subscription model so they have a much clearer idea of how much cash is coming in each month (at least until they start failing and go F2P out of desperation) so they can budget accordingly for dedicated servers. With Warframe I'm willing to bet the monthly input from plat can vary wildly therefore projecting how much they could afford to spend on servers would be much harder/riskier. P2P has got them where they are and I'll bet there is a certain "don't rock the boat" attitude to the whole thing.

Adding a "never make me the host" would be a good step in the right direction but that is going to make it harder for matchmaking to put squads together as big chunks of rural America is likely to enable it as would a lot of Australia meaning you would have some fairly large areas with nobody willing to host.

That only emphasis how and why P2P is S#&$.

24 minutes ago, peterc3 said:

Then there should be no games with it and the games that use it be unpopular, no?

Smoking is bad for health yet there's plenty of smokers on the world.

P2P is the cheap, sub-par alternative to dedicated servers, that's about it.

8 minutes ago, JuicyButthurt said:

Smoking is bad for health yet there's plenty of smokers on the world.

P2P is the cheap, sub-par alternative to dedicated servers, that's about it.

Right, then. DE should have no problem putting in as many servers as necessary to have every player be within a reasonable distance of them, right?

Nothing wrong with having regional servers. You can set a ping threshold within which you accept regional server matchmaking and if all else fails the game can still default to p2p. The question is whether DE's infrastructure allows for it and whether it would be desirable at all to do it. Us, users, have little to no knowledge of such but the idea is fine on paper.

Edited by GLoRToR

18 minutes ago, peterc3 said:

Right, then. DE should have no problem putting in as many servers as necessary to have every player be within a reasonable distance of them, right?

If it was an option to host PvE servers, I'd do it.

DE is in the position of being able to host PvE servers on their own and/or releasing dedicated server support for non-conclave modes for the community to handle it.

Having DE employ cloud or building their own datacentres around the globe isn't a necessity nowadays.

Edited by JuicyButthurt

2 minutes ago, JuicyButthurt said:

DE is in the position of being able to host PvE servers on their own and/or releasing dedicated server support for non-conclave modes for the community to handle it.

Your [DE] is really hard to see.

Okay, I'm sorry, I had to do it, but on a serious response to OP:

We seriously don't know the state of their finances beyond what DE releases publicly. We don't know how they disperse these funds among their costs of operating. I would love to see us move past P2P or at the very least allow people to opt out of the host position to not punish other players (I'm not always at home with my nice, expensive Internet, sometimes I'm out at a friend's house or whatever on my laptop, and I'd hate for people to get a bad connection to me) for their area's poor Internet infrastructures, however, as the players, and not part of the company, we cannot tell DE that they have no excuse not to do this until we are shown exactly where all funds from Plat and Prime Access purchases are divvied up to. If they eventually ever do a financial run down and find they have the funds to put together server farms for dedicated servers, I'm sure they'll make a big announcement for it the moment they start the process that it entails.

vor 17 Stunden schrieb JuicyButthurt:

Having DE employ cloud or building their own datacentres around the globe isn't a necessity nowadays.

Basically what i am saying too. If they would give me the same option to host as with PvE i am in.

vor 17 Stunden schrieb JDragonkin:

Your [DE] is really hard to see.

Okay, I'm sorry, I had to do it, but on a serious response to OP:

We seriously don't know the state of their finances beyond what DE releases publicly. We don't know how they disperse these funds among their costs of operating. I would love to see us move past P2P or at the very least allow people to opt out of the host position to not punish other players (I'm not always at home with my nice, expensive Internet, sometimes I'm out at a friend's house or whatever on my laptop, and I'd hate for people to get a bad connection to me) for their area's poor Internet infrastructures, however, as the players, and not part of the company, we cannot tell DE that they have no excuse not to do this until we are shown exactly where all funds from Plat and Prime Access purchases are divvied up to. If they eventually ever do a financial run down and find they have the funds to put together server farms for dedicated servers, I'm sure they'll make a big announcement for it the moment they start the process that it entails.

Well they don't have to layout their financial data in order to come to the conclusion that they are maintaining code for PvP that could potentially be used or repurposed to host PvE. They got rid of raids due to them not being able to maintain the work with the changes yet the conclave desert is still getting maintance.

Even purchasable bundles with Prime Access could be a thing where instead of getting boosters you get a dedicated server slot named after you and if you extract from a mission it says " This mission was hosted by XXX dedicated server slot".

Lets just hope they realize soon enough that some kind of dedicated server is needed when the system recquirements skyrockets with huge open worlds.

14 minutes ago, GA-Bulletproof said:

Well they don't have to layout their financial data in order to come to the conclusion that they are maintaining code for PvP that could potentially be used or repurposed to host PvE. They got rid of raids due to them not being able to maintain the work with the changes yet the conclave desert is still getting maintance.

I agree with you, they don't. My point is, we as just the player base can't say that finances aren't an excuse since we aren't in on them. We can definitely request and continue to make sure they know that we still want it, but we can never say "DE, you have the finances to do it" when we don't actually know the numbers and how they are divided up among wages and project budgets.