Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

(PC) Toggle Alternate Fire

Jarl_Baalin

Question

Greetings!
I recently got my hands on the Hind, which has an alternate fire mode.
The primary fire is a burst that fires three shots, while the alternate fire is a single but more powerful shot. The weapon is awesome but the problem is that it feels awkward to use.
Let me explain; I use a Razer Deathadder which has a manufacturing problem where the third mouse button (pressing the scroll wheel) stops functioning. I could see myself use it without any problems, but I had to remap it to mouse button 4, which is one of the buttons on the side. The problem is that when I press that button, the mouse moves, which makes me miss that alternate fire shot! It also feels very awkward...

I've looked around the options to see if there were any "toggle alternate fire" buttons anywhere. But there is none. I've also googled which just confirms that there is none.

So I'm here to ask about how some of you have it set up? Where do you have the alternate fire button?
Also, I hope it's alright to ask about this; I wonder if any of you use any third party programs (luckily, I'm playing warframe on a PC), which I can use to change my hotkeys on the fly. I'd imagine it would feel great to have it change my primary fire to alternate fire on the scroll wheel. Scroll up = primary fire on left mouse. Scroll down = alternate fire on left mouse. It would kinda be like a real gun.

Cheers!

TL DR: Any suggestions on a comfortable alternate fire button?

Edited by Jarl_Baalin

13 answers to this question

The alternate fire is bound to your middle mouse button by default, but you can unbind it to other keys that you are comfortable with.

In the case of your mouse, if you want to stick to a mouse you’re gonna have to get a new one.

Edited by (PS4)KyleXY12345

3 minutes ago, (PS4)MegBethany6 said:

firstly I would like to say I don't play on PC so not sure if this is possible but....

a lot of games allow for multiple key binds if this is possible you may be able to like it to shift and left click, giving you a way to toggle as long as shift is held 

I just tried (hunting for argon crystals at the moment, so can try suggestions quickly :p).
It didn't work sadly, shift is what we run with on PC, and it doesn't look like Warframe supports "chain keybinding" or what one calls it. Tried ALT and CTRL, it just makes it shoot witl ALT and CTRL, cant chain it to ALT + Left click. Very good try on a suggestion though, thank you!

7 minutes ago, (PS4)KyleXY12345 said:

The alternate fire is bound to your middle mouse button by default, but you can unbind it to other keys that you are comfortable with.

In the case of your mouse, if you want to stick to a mouse you’re gonna have to get a new one.

I'm fully aware of that. I added a TL DR now to make it more clear though.

44 minutes ago, Jarl_Baalin said:

Let me explain; I use a Razer Deathadder which has a manufacturing problem

If your mouse is broken , is not DE fault.

44 minutes ago, Jarl_Baalin said:

I had to remap it to mouse button 4, which is one of the buttons on the side. The problem is that when I press that button, the mouse moves

If you are unable to keep the mouse still while pressing a button , is not DE fault.

Putting the memes and the jokes apart...

Have you tried binding the secondary fire on the keyboard? and easily accessible key like... dunno, C or Q ? or the \ (the thing before the 1 in my case) Seems strange but i have some friends that somehow play with some keybinds that would  shock a contortionist, and they are still capable than playing like veterans.

12 minutes ago, Kyryo said:

If your mouse is broken , is not DE fault.

If you are unable to keep the mouse still while pressing a button , is not DE fault.

Putting the memes and the jokes apart...

Have you tried binding the secondary fire on the keyboard? and easily accessible key like... dunno, C or Q ? or the \ (the thing before the 1 in my case) Seems strange but i have some friends that somehow play with some keybinds that would  shock a contortionist, and they are still capable than playing like veterans.

But I'm not accusing anyone so you don't have to defend - ... oh it's just a meme lol.
Yeah I tried, and I have to side with the contortionist. It works but it feels awkward. My right hand is what I use to shoot, not the left.
So it boils down to four options..:
1) Buy new mouse.
2) Have inaccurate shots.
3) Get used to shooting with my left hand.
4) If it doesn't conflict with any of Warframes terms of service, use a program that switches the keybindings so I can get it how I want.

But seriously, I think this was a stupid question overall. It's just a matter of taste. Thank you very much for your time guys 🙂

Edit: Is there anything I can click to mark this post as answered?

Edited by Jarl_Baalin

1 minute ago, Jarl_Baalin said:

My right hand is what I use to shoot, not the left.

why is that a problem, you are probably walking right or forward while shooting( if not standing still) so you have 3 fingers able to press Q (for example). 

2 minutes ago, Kyryo said:

why is that a problem, you are probably walking right or forward while shooting( if not standing still) so you have 3 fingers able to press Q (for example). 

4 minutes ago, Jarl_Baalin said:

It works but it feels awkward.

16 hours ago, (PS4)KyleXY12345 said:

As he said. Switch between modes with middle mouse button. I'd stay away from third party software potentially interfering with the games memory.. can trigger an auto ban. Never know with some programs, some does things you wouldnt really know it did

I skipped most of the posts. I had a problem with alt-fire too. I went into the options>controls>key binding and now I activate my alt fire with [tab] (I didn't need the view progress report thingy). You can re-map alt fire to any key you like.

Edited by tprx

Cosidering how you imagined it would be nice to have your scroll wheel switch modes, I assume you don't use your wheel. If so, then you might try binding the wheel straight to alt fire. There is 2 keys available for each action in the keybinds.
I have wheeldown bound to reload and wheelup bound to fire primary (left click is fire too), so I can shoot and reload with Tigris by scrolling up and down. Takes a minute to get used to, but lets me keep all of my left hand on WASD. And yes, it reloads automatically after firing, but forcing reload makes it reload faster.

Edited by Palvijeesus