The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Sacrifice implications

TheOneWhoKnoxx

There is a bit of dialogue in The Sacrifice that really stood out to me and that I think deserves recognition especially when paired with the music.

Spoiler

"We had created monsters we could not control.

We drugged them, tortured them, eviscerated them...We brutalized their minds...but it did not work.

Until they came.

And it was not their force of will - not their Void devilry - not their alien darkness... it was something else.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside a broken, ugly thing -- 

And take away its pain."

Personal opinion: I think this bit of dialogue from Ballas is amazing because it implies that the Tenno are not able to control the frames through anger or malice but because they too have seen horrific things and can empathize. They can look beyond the trauma that they themselves have experienced and offer a sense of camaraderie, tranquillity, and inner peace. 

For all the revelations in the sacrifice (seen and unforseen) I think this little tidbit will stick with me the longest. It was a masterfully crafted moment.

That moment was, for all accounts, a spiritual epiphany - a moment of mental enlightenment.

Spoiler

This also reveals that a mental plane can be manifested. Theorizing future Umbras will cause the Tenno to turn into a bio-server to house their unique selves and enable them to interact, much like a family or team.

I believe future Umbra-frame quests will use this Quest as a template, and unlock more Vitruvian secrets as more memories are seen.

11 minutes ago, DiosGX said:

I felt the same way about that moment. I'm not ashamed to admit I cried a little bit and just sat there staring at the screen. It was really powerful. Like, INCREDIBLY powerful for me.

I feel you

17 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnoxx said:

There is a bit of dialogue in The Sacrifice that really stood out to me and that I think deserves recognition especially when paired with the music.

Hide contents

"We had created monsters we could not control.

We drugged them, tortured them, eviscerated them...We brutalized their minds...but it did not work.

Until they came.

And it was not their force of will - not their Void devilry - not their alien darkness... it was something else.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside a broken, ugly thing -- 

And take away its pain."

Personal opinion: I think this bit of dialogue from Ballas is amazing because it implies that the Tenno are not able to control the frames through anger or malice but because they too have seen horrific things and can empathize. They can look beyond the trauma that they themselves have experienced and offer a sense of camaraderie, tranquillity, and inner peace. 

For all the revelations in the sacrifice (seen and unforseen) I think this little tidbit will stick with me the longest. It was a masterfully crafted moment.

I totally agree. This quest was a bomb of emotions and Storytelling, I just cannot wait to play it again. It demonstrated how important the tenno-warframe bond is... 

Also, do we want to talk about how Isaah asks his father if he rememberd how he used to play that instrument and then we have that instrument in the OST? 

This quest really has been crafted with care. 

Damn, the tears lol

There's another layer to this that makes it all the more heart-wrenching, too.

From what the Operator says and does here, going through the motions as if they know exactly how to succeed, it's clear they've done this before. Now, when was the last time the Operator would've had to deal with mind-fayed savages that they don't want to kill?

...their parents, on the Zariman 10-0. They knew what to do here because it's what they had to do to their parents years ago. Back then, however, they didn't have Transference Bolts and discipline training to know where to go from there, so the only option they had was to lock them away, and eventually kill them when the stress of Transference became too much...

Edited by EmissaryOfInfinity

26 minutes ago, EmissaryOfInfinity said:

There's another layer to this that makes it all the more heart-wrenching, too.

Hide contents

From what the Operator says and does here, going through the motions as if they know exactly how to succeed, it's clear they've done this before. Now, when was the last time the Operator would've had to deal with mind-fayed savages that they don't want to kill?

...their parents, on the Zariman 10-0. They knew what to do here because it's what they had to do to their parents years ago. Back then, however, they didn't have Transference Bolts and discipline training to know where to go from there, so the only option they had was to lock them away, and eventually kill them when the stress of Transference became too much...

Oh... oh god. I didn't... notice that at first. You're unmistakably correct. Wow, this quest is even more hardcore than I realized at first.

Yeah.  The feels in this one were intense.

The catharsis part was no small thing.  The operator was in many ways re-facing what they went through on the Zariman, only this time better prepared.

And on the opposite side, Umbra is in a few ways reaching back for his experience of being a father, and protecting a child. 

Diving in, and saving the operator from Lotus' beam was the point of closure - the operator had saved him, so he shall do the same.  Especially since their minds are linked, he probably got a couple glimpses of the Operator's previous experiences.

Yeah, this is basically why I wanted to have Umbra be able to communicate.  I definitely think we'd get some Teshin-ish lines from him if we did.