The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Operator Mode Etiquette

tobascodagama

Question

So, I just finished The Second Dream and unlocked the ability to go into Operator Mode temporarily. I'm aware that use of the Operator in certain content is considered impolite, as it technically spoils the big twist at the end of The Second Dream.

So, the question then becomes, where is it acceptable (or even mandatory?) to go into Operator Mode during a public session? Is it safe to assume that anything in the star chart after Neptune/Lua will only be run by players who have completed The Second Dream already?

For that matter, is it even useful to use the Operator outside of certain mission types? (Like I've heard that Operator Mode can let you hack consoles from inside Limbo's Cataclysm. And I think I've also heard stuff about Operators during Eidolon hunts.)

Anyway, just a basic rundown of where and when to use/not use the Operator would be super helpful for me!

6 answers to this question

My rule of thumb is to check the MR of anyone I am in a squad with. If anyone is under MR10 I'll check their profile if I can, a player who has unlocked their operator will display said operator on the profile page. If I can't I generally ask if they are Dreaming or something to that effect. A player who has been though TSD and TWW will generally understand the meaning of the question while players who do not know the truth will respond with confusion or tell me that they already know about the twist. 

Useful things you can do with an operator: Hack inside a cataclysm, Void Mode and Revive downed squad members, Void Dash across PoE, Shread an Eidolons Shields, use as a stealth kit for any warframe loadout, have a nice cup of tea and remember an old friend. 

Second Dream operator i'd say just use anywhere. All it does is look like a ghost (your operator appears hooded to pre-second dream players, or at least it did).

After the War Within, maybe pay attention to the player's mastery rank in-game (or better, their profile). If they're lower than 5, maybe quietly run behind the group and use the operator then for the bonuses.

Other than that, people who aren't past War Within are unlikely to be playing content that should trouble you, so staying in frame should not be too difficult.

Checking MR is a good indicator to go by though. 

I think the safe bet is to try not to use your operator much if you're playing early in the star chart and with very low MR players. the MR requirement for Second Dream is MR3. but otherwise.... the second dream is 2.5 years old and the devs are giving us more and more incentives to use our operators so for the most part.... the cat's really far out of the bag and you're gonna have to fight tooth and nail to push it back in there if you want to. Also you might be surprised what players won't notice if you just use your operator outside of their vision

What can the Operator do that frames cannot?

Spoiler

-Tear down Eidolon Fragments' shields and permanently kill Vomvalysts.
-Hack and pick up objective objects while in Void Mode.
-Revive people in Void Mode.
-Dash long distances if Naramon's Waybounds are unbound and enabled.
-Sneak past enemies due to Void Mode rendering the Operator invisible and impervious to almost all forms of damage.
-Use their Focus Power. Unfortunately this is removed and does not come back after completion of War Within, for reasons that are loosely explained. I would like to be able to use my Focus School ability again as I miss it's utility.

Where should anyone who completed Second Dream, and subsequently War Within, do this?
-Out of line of sight of others (pre-War Within).
-At least a room or two away from everyone else who is below MR5 (post-War Within).

What else can benefit this?

Complete The Sacrifice.