Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Focus rework directions

rhoenix

Added spoiler tag, since this technically is.

I've been thinking quite a bit about what a retooled Focus system would look and act like.  Basically, it came down to two things, and I wanted to get your opinions on which one (or a third version) might be better.

1. Focus as Operator expansion.

The argument for this is to make the Operator more capable and powerful, allowing them active ablities to use during combat that can expand on a given player's capabilities on any given frame.

The downside to this direction for a rework is that there would necessarily be some overlap of ability between certain Focus Schools' abilities, and those of certain frames.  For instance, it would be reasonable for a reworked Naramon to allow you to steal items from enemies with a Void Dash, but that would start walking on Ivara, Nekros, and Hydroid.

2. Focus as warframe expansion.

The argument for this is to give Focus trees more meaningful passives that can affect both frame and operator.

Beefing up operators is good and all, but Focus is hypothetically about focusing more Void energy into your frame to make it more awesome as well. Since the rework to focus, it's felt like this particular angle has been dropped in favor of making operators stronger.

Now, I don't have a problem with stronger operators, but I do want Focus to reflect better training and ideas in how to channel Void energy into our warframes.

Conclusion:  and this brings us to the real question - should Focus be biased to help warframes more, or operators more?  Or, should it do both?

I think the problem lies more with the usefulness of the Operator than the focus of the Schools on him. The Schools are our replacement for Operator-MODs and I like the idea behind this. But it feels lackluster to skill something/someone you don't use. The only things you do is remove resistence of sentients and the shield of the eidolons. Lorewise thats okay, but as gameplay it is unsatisfying to put a lot of time and effort into Focus Schools.

I hoped we would get a development with The Sacrifice, but sadly we did not.  What I would like to see is either a buff in usefulness of Operators ore more support oriented Schools to buff our frames. Maybe let us a make a decision in the Focus trees to either buff the frames or the operator.

Would it be better, do you think, to have a main Void tree with basic enhancements and abilities, and then branch off the five schools from there?

This would cut down on the basic requirements to make an operator not terrible, while also retaining the connection of the schools.

8 hours ago, Naneel said:

This is an interesting idea. The main tree could use exp earned with the operator. For the Schools you could have prequisites in the main tree (like damage for madurai, life for vazarin...) 

Exactly.  Then QoL stuff like faster void dashing and such could be kept in the Void tree, and thus leave all the enhancements for Void dashes in the school upgrades.

This would also make it easier to add other schools in future.