Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Anybody else feeling like Limbo's 3rd is a filler?

Tellakey

Always loved Limbo but he comes off as a two-trick pony due to his third ability always functioning as a filler.

It wasn't until DE switched his 2nd to Stasis, something that was actually useful, that Limbo was anything but a one-trick pony.

So, as useful as his 3rd can be to promote a continuous divide-and-conquer, I feel like we don't need an entire ability just for that. This fits better as an augment. Having it replaced would allow DE to embellish Limbo with a more interesting addition to his arsenal.

Edit: Since most people who comment simply point out that the skill is useful and therefore should not be removed - I'm not disagreeing, I AM pointing out that we don't need an entire ability for just that. Here is an alternative: Press to banish, hold to charge with rift energy. How's that sound?

Edited by Tellakey

I personally just use it on enemies on the edge of cataclysm. Because cataclysm shrinks over time, I frequently find it annoying to hit enemies that are entering the bubble, because they keep popping out of the rift. Casting rift surge on them causes them to stay in the rift after they leave cataclysm, which is particularly useful now that bullets work in Stasis. It just helps with keeping enemies consistently damageable, especially considering Limbo basically has infinite energy in the rift so that extra cast doesn't matter.

That said, Limbo is definitely dominated by Cataclysm and Stasis, and despite them being two different abilities, they might as well be the same one considering there is no reason to ever drop Stasis. Limbo is disgustingly powerful at the moment, but he isn't really well-designed.

4 minutes ago, YUNoJump said:

That said, Limbo is definitely dominated by Cataclysm and Stasis, and despite them being two different abilities, they might as well be the same one considering there is no reason to ever drop Stasis. Limbo is disgustingly powerful at the moment, but he isn't really well-designed. 

So true... except when you're playing against corpus nullifiers lol

In the original 2.0 Rift surge woudl've cause the rift lightning to damage nearby enemies when killed even in the material plane, I gladly wish they brought that feature back.

Right now Rift surge is basically used to always keep limbo in the rift, whether by Banish to keep dragging mobs inside the rift with you or in Cataclsym to keep damaging enemies outside the bubble, for 75 energy, it's preety lackluster.

I actually use it pretty much every time I'm playing Limbo. It's great to extend the range of Rift, the augment makes  Limbo's damage overkill and every once in a while there is something you can't do while in the rift. So you use catacysm, 3rd, and remove cataclysm. And it pretty much inverts the situation. Limbo is the only character out of the Rift while every other mob is in.

Edited by Duduminador

2 minutes ago, Duduminador said:

I actually use it pretty much every time I'm playing Limbo. It's great to extend the range of Rift, the augment makes  Limbo's damage overkill and every once in a while there is something you can't do while in the rift. So you use catacysm, 3rd, and remove cataclysm. And it pretty much inverts the situation. Limbo is the only character out of the Rift while every other mob is in.

The argument is not that the ability isn't useful. Rather, it is so integral that it might as well be a passive, which is why I call it a filler. It's as if DE plucked this ability out of Limbo's first and made it a wholly different one so they could fill a third slot for the sake of it.

17 minutes ago, Tellakey said:

The argument is not that the ability isn't useful. Rather, it is so integral that it might as well be a passive, which is why I call it a filler. It's as if DE plucked this ability out of Limbo's first and made it a wholly different one so they could fill a third slot for the sake of it.

Well, that's the thing. Wanting it to be integrated into his other abilities is precisely the kind of embedded gimmick that sparked a lot of the hate against Limbo in the first place.

Like Stasis stopping bullets, people were upset because it did that, now they're upset because it doesn't. In fact, I'll even say more. It would be worse. so much worse. Mobs getting switched into Rift every time cataclysm is about to end? Or people leaving The cataclysm to attack mobs outside of it and finding those mobs inside Rift too.

let's remember that Limbo did require an ability to cast himself into the Rift, and that got Embedded into his kit as a dash/roll, and it sparked some hate back then because people were running into the rift gate Limbo leaves behind and didn't know they could roll back.

Edited by Duduminador

40 minutes ago, Duduminador said:

Well, that's the thing. Wanting it to be integrated into his other abilities is precisely the kind of embedded gimmick that sparked a lot of the hate against Limbo in the first place.

Like Stasis stopping bullets, people were upset because it did that, now they're upset because it doesn't. In fact, I'll even say more. It would be worse. so much worse. Mobs getting switched into Rift every time cataclysm is about to end? Or people leaving The cataclysm to attack mobs outside of it and finding those mobs inside Rift too.

let's remember that Limbo did require an ability to cast himself into the Rift, and that got Embedded into his kit as a dash/roll, and it sparked some hate back then because people were running into the rift gate Limbo leaves behind and didn't know they could roll back.

Fair point. But that's why I suggested replacing it as an augment, or even just somehow integrate it as an optional side-effect of Limbo's 1st. Example: press 1 to banish mobs into the Rift. Hold 1 to charge them with Rift energy. There, problem solved and we have a nice, shiny vacancy for an actual ability.

12 minutes ago, Tellakey said:

Fair point. But that's why I suggested replacing it as an augment, or even just somehow integrate it as an optional side-effect of Limbo's 1st. Example: press 1 to banish mobs into the Rift. Hold 1 to charge them with Rift energy. There, problem solved and we have a nice, shiny vacancy for an actual ability.

But it is an actual ability with different uses, so there's no reason to integrate it. And putting functionality that should be there in the first place on an augment is always a bad idea (which never seemed to stop them). I see no problem in 3 existing as is.

Having it as an ability allows you to control the situation more precisely. Since we no longer have single target banish, I like to be able to choose freely when I want to isolate a particular target vs rifting an entire room to boost Rift Torrent, while turning it into an augment/passive will remove that freedom of control.

Overall, I think your idea ends up boiling down to, "make Limbo's skills more interesting" which applies to all frames subjectively. Trying to change just one skill will break his kit more than it already is (not like Warframe abilities are perfectly done anyway). In the end, I think you're better off making a suggestion of an entirely new ability kit for Limbo rather than just trying to change one skill and breaking the rest.

It's pretty great. With its augment it gives you one of the most powerful damage steroids in the game, and even without it, it mitigates your one weakness which is having to step out of the rift to do things, while cutting down how much you time you need to spend casting Cataclysm for getting things into the rift and keeping them there.

5 hours ago, Tellakey said:

Please read the entire OP.

I have...and I totally disagree because I don't want to fit another augment to get this ability. It's a quick way to boost damage and your proposal for his 1 is too damn slow.

Edited by (PS4)Radehx

25 minutes ago, (PS4)Radehx said:

I have...and I totally disagree because I don't want to fit another augment to get this ability. It's a quick way to boost damage and your proposal for his 1 is too damn slow.

I mean if the only reason people like hih 3rd ability is because it grants a damage boost through augment then clearly his 3rd ability is bad, sounds like the augment may was well be the ability itself