Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Opt out for Volt's Speed!!

malekas

6 minutes ago, RealPandemonium said:

More speed is good for everything but precision, until you calibrate your own inputs to be more precise.  Some people may have smaller limits due to disabilities, etc, but generally this is a matter of comfort vs performance.

I also really wonder about how often you even encounter this supposed issue.  Do you guys have a cabal of Volt players following you with the uncanny ability to stalk you through matchmaking?  I barely ever see Volts in the first place, so Speed is a rare treat for me.  Hit me up in-game if you want to show me in person; I'm legitimately interested now.  

Thing is that calibration takes time, once you're so ingrained with your own speed and movement any change can be jarring.

And it's repeatedly jarring, because before you get a chance to get used to the speed it's gone again, and you quickly readjust to your normal speed... and then it pops again.

I don't like being in a constant state of having to constantly alter how I play based on the whims of someone nearby. In Exterminates or whatever, I'm not that fussed. In Defence or Survivals where you generally stick together and just enjoy killing... no. I care a great deal.

As for how often if happens? I'm not sure that's relevant to be honest. It does happen, it can be jarring and there's certainly a vocal percentage of players who do not wish for it to happen again.

If players were asking for a nerf to the ability based on it, then I could see a "how often does it actually happen" argument, but I reckon most people would simply be happy with a proper opt out.

50 minutes ago, DatDarkOne said:

That's the thing.  You are not moving fast at first until suddenly you are moving fast because of a random speed boost.  You will usually miss the target when using precision based weapons.  

I'm actually shocked that you never experienced this looking at your start date.  

edit: As for the crazy thing, DeMonkey knows that I like to do things in game that seem crazy to most others.  Like melee a group of enemies with Ivara or Mag, and facetank juggernauts using Ember.  

I'm shocked that it exists, given how long I've played and never encountered it.  That's why I want someone to show me.

The frames you listed all have good tools to do those things with.  It's not crazy; it's you using your brain and being good at the game.

48 minutes ago, DeMonkey said:

Thing is that calibration takes time, once you're so ingrained with your own speed and movement any change can be jarring.

And it's repeatedly jarring, because before you get a chance to get used to the speed it's gone again, and you quickly readjust to your normal speed... and then it pops again.

I don't like being in a constant state of having to constantly alter how I play based on the whims of someone nearby. In Exterminates or whatever, I'm not that fussed. In Defence or Survivals where you generally stick together and just enjoy killing... no. I care a great deal.

As for how often if happens? I'm not sure that's relevant to be honest. It does happen, it can be jarring and there's certainly a vocal percentage of players who do not wish for it to happen again.

If players were asking for a nerf to the ability based on it, then I could see a "how often does it actually happen" argument, but I reckon most people would simply be happy with a proper opt out.

For me, being able to calibrate on the fly rather than relying on ingrained muscle memory is the next level of proficiency.  Even though you don't get to practice it much, I'm typically appreciative of opportunities to do so.

I don't think that this warrants any more dev time, especially if it leads to fundamental changes to the ability itself.

Remember that last time DE messed with Speed, they did nerf it to a pickup that was objectively worse for team-buffing than before.  This was justifiably reverted.  Maybe a UI opt-out could be appropriate.  

2 minutes ago, RealPandemonium said:

Maybe a UI opt-out could be appropriate.

As I said, all many of us actually want is to be able to ignore the ability, not to nerf it in any respect.

As for calibrating though, perhaps it is the next level of precision. But I can't see how that's enjoyable to you in the slightest. A PvP game requires thinking and calibrating, and properly balanced I love it.

But "oh I'm moving fast > change style" then "oh I'm moving slow > change style" then "oh I'm moving fast > change style" then...

I don't see how that sort of 'calibration' adds to the game in any manner whatsoever. Perhaps you do and I wouldn't want to take that away from you, but I genuinely don't understand it, nor do I understand why so many people are against allowing others an adequate opt-out. It would take away nothing from the ability besides the potential to troll with it.

Hell, doesn't even have to be a UI option. Have a chat command that does it. /speed or /volt to toggle the effect. Can be shortened to /s and /v assuming there's no current commands that would interfere.

17 hours ago, Orgoon said:

I'm 100% sure that us Volts don't force you to play with us. That's your own choice.

Thats the dumbest retort i've seen here yet. I'm not sure why people are treating this as a Volt thing like its some kind of racism. Like asking for a better mechanism to escape the speed boost is like some insult to your "kind". Does that unintentionally mean I'm insulting the Volts mom or something or I'm calling you fat? 

The OP is not asking to nerf Volt but ask for to change the mechanism so its more friendly to other players. So its less annoying to other players. It doesn't warrant people being soo effin defensive on this. Give a reasonable way to cancel that buff and you can spin around "wheeee" into walls all day long as much as you want. 

1 hour ago, kambinks said:

Thats the dumbest retort i've seen here yet. I'm not sure why people are treating this as a Volt thing like its some kind of racism. Like asking for a better mechanism to escape the speed boost is like some insult to your "kind". Does that unintentionally mean I'm insulting the Volts mom or something or I'm calling you fat? 

The OP is not asking to nerf Volt but ask for to change the mechanism so its more friendly to other players. So its less annoying to other players. It doesn't warrant people being soo effin defensive on this. Give a reasonable way to cancel that buff and you can spin around "wheeee" into walls all day long as much as you want. 

Dude, you're the one that writes dumb things, it was you that stated that you're being forced into a certain playstyle. How can I force you into anything if you have a choice? As previously stated, with backflipping you already can cancel my buff, you can choose not to play with Volts by choosing to play with your friends, clan mates and family and you can choose not to get my buff by being out of my affinity range. 

What's next? Harrows complaining that other people affect their gameplay by shooting mobs when they cast a buff and Niduses complaining that people shoot their larvas?

35 minutes ago, Orgoon said:

Dude, you're the one that writes dumb things, it was you that stated that you're being forced into a certain playstyle. How can I force you into anything if you have a choice? As previously stated, with backflipping you already can cancel my buff, you can choose not to play with Volts by choosing to play with your friends, clan mates and family and you can choose not to get my buff by being out of my affinity range. 

What's next? Harrows complaining that other people affect their gameplay by shooting mobs when they cast a buff and Niduses complaining that people shoot their larvas?

You're missing the point seriously but just try to comprehend my question below.

If I'm asking for a different mechanism than the backflip which has 0% effect on how you want to play your Volt, what are you "Volts player representative" are complaining about?

Say we're asking to change from doing a backflip to a normal forward roll thats less intrusive and more fluid in gameplay. How does that change effect you that you're being soo effin huffed up about?  It has 0 effect to how you're playing and doesn't effect your gameplay at all. So what is your problem with the issue? Specifically defending the backflip?

В 21.06.2018 в 08:05, malekas сказал:

A short rant (And hopefully drawing more attention to) about a issue that people have been complaining about for while.

VOLT'S SPEED!

I keep getting paired with these high strength, low duration, Volts who constantly spam Speed. I'm ready to start aborting missions that have a Volt in them. News flash for Volt players, not everyone likes that buff. In fact, a lot of players hate that buff with a passion. It completely messes up our movement. This has really become an issue when I decided to use Titania just for fun. Huge mistake. If you think Titania bouncing off of walls and losing all momentum was bad before, try it with Volts speed making things ten times worse.

We need a way to opt out of the buff. Backflipping doesn't help when the Volt has a 10 second duration speed. I would end up needing to backflip every ten seconds.

Absolutely agree with OP.

Speed Volt addicts are very annoying.

Volt's 2 skill needs a change to be active only for Volt but not teammates.

16 hours ago, DeMonkey said:

Yes, calibration takes time. You would think players would have adjusted over the years. I know I have through my experience with Trials and 333% Volt (now 347% but basically the same) as well as countless fast fissures.

This sentence just says "adapt to your situation". I don't see how changing a BUFF should be necessary. You don't see people complaining that Zephyr ruins their flow or how Fireball adds unnecessary heat damage, so why should Speed be changed?

It is jarring to me that no one can perform a backflip to opt out. By the time you opt out of the speed once, the Volt will be way ahead of you and out of range.

Just because people don't use the opt out we have doesn't mean we should change the fundamentals behind a buff of all things.

Edited by --Q--Voltage

3 hours ago, kambinks said:

You're missing the point seriously but just try to comprehend my question below.

If I'm asking for a different mechanism than the backflip which has 0% effect on how you want to play your Volt, what are you "Volts player representative" are complaining about?

Say we're asking to change from doing a backflip to a normal forward roll thats less intrusive and more fluid in gameplay. How does that change effect you that you're being soo effin huffed up about?  It has 0 effect to how you're playing and doesn't effect your gameplay at all. So what is your problem with the issue? Specifically defending the backflip?

First, the only one that has problems with comprehenion is you. I never commented on possible different ways to get out of the Volt's speed buff, I only commented your claim that you are forced into something.

Second, you are playing a fast paced shooter and a big part of that game is parkour that requires simultaneous pressing of more than 1 key. 

To my 48 y/o gf (which is also a granny) this game is her first shooter game and she doesn't have any problems with pressing 3 buttons with 2 hands. (Right mouse button to aim, and then back and roll). If that's too chalenging for you, maybe shooter games aren't your thing.

Normal forward roll isn't an option, because rolling is a basic combat evasive manouver that reduces all damage taken by the player by 75%. I want to evade damage, but I don't want to lose the buff.

18 hours ago, RealPandemonium said:

It's still bizarre to me that people are so scared of their gameplay experience being slightly different that the refuse any kind of change, even beneficial, because it isn't their FAVORITE way. 

Next time we see complains about ivara's quiver turning their frames invisible because they want to see their fashion frame and quiver makes it impossible to do so.

Then again, unlike speed, quiver doesn't have a proper opt out (unless you jump into the abyss) yet you see complains about beneficial stuff that you can already opt out off because laziness is apparently a big thing in this game here.

Believe me when i tell you that i'm genuinely trying to understand this situation in here. A beneficial buff that gives you reload speed, attack speed and movement speed so you can finish missions quicker, and people complain about it? About buffs in a coop game? I don't like to tell people to go solo when things like limbo can ruin everyones game or when the freshly reworked limbo cataclysm could nuke all maps at any level removes all kinds of engagement for all parties involved, things like that should just get fixed, period. Or better yet, not even make it into the game. But when people start to complain about BUFFS that you can also ALREADY OPT OUT and that only make your life a TINY BIT easier, i really have trouble believing that coop games are the right thing for them... Let alone action games when faster speed becomes an issue.

4 hours ago, Orgoon said:

and Niduses complaining that people shoot their larvas?

You laugh but it already happened...

18 minutes ago, Orgoon said:

Normal forward roll isn't an option, because rolling is a basic combat evasive manouver that reduces all damage taken by the player by 75%. I want to evade damage, but I don't want to lose the buff.

It also isn't an option because it's a maneuver that lets you carry momentum further. Widely used for moving around quicker than just by spamming bullet jumps. Switching the method from opting out from backflip to roll would be a straight nerf to the abilities purpose actually.

Edited by IceColdHawk

27 minutes ago, --Dark_Rage-- said:

Absolutely agree with OP.

Speed Volt addicts are very annoying.

Volt's 2 skill needs a change to be active only for Volt but not teammates.

"Allies can backflip to remove Speed if they wish to opt-out."

Right from:

21 hours ago, Frostfire_Chimera said:

To everyone supporting an opt out, there is one. I would understand if you didn't know that it had an opt out, but refusing to use the tools already available is quite frankly disturbing. 

Edited by --Q--Voltage

3 минуты назад, --Q--Voltage сказал:

Right from:

To everyone supporting an opt out, there is one. I would understand if you didn't know that it had an opt out, but refusing to use the tools already available is quite frankly disturbing. 

I know all this pretty well.

But players shouldn't be forced to spam backflips every few seconds instead of normal parkouring only because there is a speed Volt addict in squad.

3 minutes ago, Orgoon said:

First, the only one that has problems with comprehenion is you. I never commented on possible different ways to get out of the Volt's speed buff, I only commented your claim that you are forced into something.

Second, you are playing a fast paced shooter and a big part of that game is parkour that requires simultaneous pressing of more than 1 key. 

To my 48 y/o gf (which is also a granny) this game is her first shooter game and she doesn't have any problems with pressing 3 buttons with 2 hands. (Right mouse button to aim, and then back and roll). If that's too chalenging for you, maybe shooter games aren't your thing.

1. Heres where you fail to comprehend. Yes. I am forced to remove Volts buff every few seconds every time in a party with a Volt. Doing backflips every 10 seconds is not a good solution. My solution is find a better option other than backflips which helps the other players with precision based weapons or frames and has ZERO drawbacks to the Volt. Your solution is not to play with a Volt or stay outside of his buff range which I say is ridiculously dumb. 

This is an objective based game. We go from point to point in a group and your solution is for me to stay away from the objective because its too much to ask from the devs to change a mechanic that has no effect to the Volt whatsoever. Unless theres a filter in pub parties thats another reason your post was dumb.

2. There are mods that requires headshots. Harrows mana buff and heal buff is amplified with headshots. Banshees sonar needs players to aim certain parts of the body. It doesn't make the game unplayable but there are players that want to enjoy the game with burst weapons like Tiberon that needs aiming. Yes you can hit the enemy even with the buff but its annoying and makes the game clunky. Forcing people to use Ignis Wraith, Amprex, Arca Plasmor or Melee is not ideal just because one frame can't help but buff everyone.  

3. Right. Might be worst than the first as a post so yeah. Sure granpa.

Made my point already and obviously not the only one in this thread who finds it annoying so no reason to entertain your post anymore. I don't want to be more negative than I have to.  

4 minutes ago, --Dark_Rage-- said:

I know all this pretty well.

But players shouldn't be forced to spam backflips every few seconds instead of normal parkouring only because there is a speed Volt addict in squad.

Please help me understand how exactly Volts force you to do something against your will, because according to @kambinks I'm the dumbest person it this thread and I really have trouble understanding how that forcing you talk about actually happens. Do gangs of 3 Volt addicts team up and follow you everywhere you go while spamming speed? Do they stand next to you and wait until you do a backflip so they can use speed again?

15 minutes ago, --Q--Voltage said:

Right from:

Some Volts build their frame with high range and strength and some efficiency so they can spam Discharge to damage. This gimps the duration when they use Transient Fortitude and Fleeting Expertise leaves the duration down to under 10 seconds (235 range, 190+ strength). This means they'll refresh their speed every 10 seconds where to another player that wants to opt out of the buff needs to do a backflip every 10 seconds. Try doing that. 

Its understandable that those that enjoy the buff never bothered with it but there are people that doesn't enjoy the buff on every single mission.

1 минуту назад, Orgoon сказал:

Please help me understand how exactly Volts force you to do something against your will, because according to @kambinks I'm the dumbest person it this thread and I really have trouble understanding how that forcing you talk about actually happens. Do gangs of 3 Volt addicts team up and follow you everywhere you go while spamming speed? Do they stand next to you and wait until you do a backflip so they can use speed again?

It's simple. 

What's the mission type where Volt's speed build is most used ? Extermination and Capture for sure.

And players who have problems with using parkour mostly take Volt on such mission types.

And what action normal player is forced to do instead of normal bulletjumping ? Exactly backflip. 

Because in small rooms Volt's addictive speed makes parkouring extreemely uncomfortable

2 minutes ago, Orgoon said:

Considering how most Volts have a speed that lasts about 10-15s and yet keep enough range to hit you from more than 10m away, likely for Discharge which I won't fault them for on that skill alone, but it is very annoying to do an exterminate, raid/survival, mobile/defense, or assassination with a Volt abusing speed in tight spaces/rooms, much how people get aggravated with bad Limbos abusing poorly timed rifts, apparently Gara's passive during melee, Soundquake-shee, and Nova's in defense.

It's really not fun to stop doing something because you have to backflip again, and again, and again, all because you're forced to deal with them for the affinity gain or leave the room/radius and stunt your own affinity plus the squad as a whole.

Also, as a personal answer to your question, yes, I have had 2-3 Volts in mission before. It was impossible to move without hitting something or walking (yes *Walking*) into a good few Napalms, Heavy Gunners, and Bombards on Nezha who already has enough speed with his ice skating + firewalker.

As a Volt main (and that's the only frame I play), i feel sad to hear that

I even write a reddit post about it :  

https://www.reddit.com/r/Warframe/comments/8ouaah/i_am_tired_of_people_yelling_*@##$ing_at_me_a/

You know, not everyone play volt to be a jack*ss about speeding people and forcing them to run on walls/stairs everday.
I mainly play him because i like him, and i have a discharge build (no idea about the range-power stats ,i am at work)

For comparison, you could say the same about a lot of other frames :

-rant for hydroid because you can"t target greeners catch in tentacles,

-rant about nidus because you can"t see s*it with his spells and the 4th spell (same as hydro)

Or you can rant about khora because you can"t target greeners/corpus chained under a stair or the ground /behind a door
OR limbo because you can"t kill with your sniper ..

or, or 

you can just play whatever you wants, and try to adapt to your teammates and your surrounding(even if it's a bit annoying), because a game is supposed to be fun to everyone(and hearing people yelling at me EVERY DAY because i play volt is just annoying).

I agree that a volt speed is sometimes badly timed, but i am sure that 80% of the time, people are happy to go a bit faster to the end of the map/collecting mods/searching for medallions/going to an objective on cetus.

They should toggle an option on the menu in your case :

allow volt to speed buff you  YES/NO

allow limbo to 'rift' you       YES/NO

but i think it would reduce the warframe identity in the game, and we would have games filled with mesa/inaros/mirage, and we don"t want that.

But i still agree with your point, sometime a volt speed is annoying .

2 minutes ago, Dalrost said:

As a Volt main (and that's the only frame I play), i feel sad to hear that

I even write a reddit post about it :  

https://www.reddit.com/r/Warframe/comments/8ouaah/i_am_tired_of_people_yelling_*@##$ing_at_me_a/

You know, not everyone play volt to be a jack*ss about speeding people and forcing them to run on walls/stairs everday.
I mainly play him because i like him, and i have a discharge build (no idea about the range-power stats ,i am at work)

For comparison, you could say the same about a lot of other frames :

-rant for hydroid because you can"t target greeners catch in tentacles,

-rant about nidus because you can"t see s*it with his spells and the 4th spell (same as hydro)

Or you can rant about khora because you can"t target greeners/corpus chained under a stair or the ground /behind a door
OR limbo because you can"t kill with your sniper ..

or, or 

you can just play whatever you wants, and try to adapt to your teammates and your surrounding(even if it's a bit annoying), because a game is supposed to be fun to everyone(and hearing people yelling at me EVERY DAY because i play volt is just annoying).

I agree that a volt speed is sometimes badly timed, but i am sure that 80% of the time, people are happy to go a bit faster to the end of the map/collecting mods/searching for medallions/going to an objective on cetus.

They should toggle an option on the menu in your case :

allow volt to speed buff you  YES/NO

allow limbo to 'rift' you       YES/NO

but i think it would reduce the warframe identity in the game, and we would have games filled with mesa/inaros/mirage, and we don"t want that.

But i still agree with your point, sometime a volt speed is annoying .

As mentioned in the OP its more about a different way to opt out rather than the buff itself. Once the target is captured for example and its time to rush to the exit Volts speed is great to have. Theres no reason to be so defensive as a Volt about the buff. Its not about nerfing Volts speed but making it easier to opt out of the speed buff and making it less annoying to the team mate that doesn't need it. 

My 1.67 sprint speed Limbo welcomes any speed-spamming Volt with open arms.

But those who don't want the buff should be able to ignore it. DeMonkey's suggestion of allowing a chat command to toggle the buff entirely seems fine to me. Leave backflipping in, but allow people to toggle it for good. I don't get what the problem is if people want to opt out of a sheer buff that changes no gameplay - except for buffing them. There's backflipping, but if they don't think that's enough, why can't another solution be added? If the concern was Dev time being wasted or not used to full potential, that's something. I feel like that's not the concern, though. 

It can get annoying when it's spammed, I don't mind the occasional speed buff but if we keep getting it spammed then it can get annoying very fast.  I've actually missed targets because of some speed volts when using melee, I've gone over them or overshoot them etc, not to mention the annoyance it can be trying to move around objects in the way due to the increased sensitivity to movement.

Wouldn't be so bad if we could 'opt out' without needing to do a backroll.