Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Helmet Modeling Question

Tsawodi

I'm currently working on an alternate helmet idea for Oberon and am wondering how lenient the polygon count is. The original helmet is almost 4.7k tris and mine is currently sitting at about 5.4k that keeps varying as I add/remove details and retopologize. I have experience with the modeling process and am just curious what is considered acceptable for use in-game.

With great retopolgy, it's fairly possible to get the more complexe helmets in game, such as Nyx prime or other stuff with a lot of horns and dangly bits.

Keep in mind that unless you want a particular parts to move, as the helmet is static, you don't need to keep a steady topology as it won't be animated, so the most plane area can have less points than the curvy ones that need more details. to be push out.

Maybe I could help if you post screenshot of you current helmet and retopology.

11 hours ago, lukinu_u said:

With great retopolgy, it's fairly possible to get the more complexe helmets in game, such as Nyx prime or other stuff with a lot of horns and dangly bits.

Keep in mind that unless you want a particular parts to move, as the helmet is static, you don't need to keep a steady topology as it won't be animated, so the most plane area can have less points than the curvy ones that need more details. to be push out.

Maybe I could help if you post screenshot of you current helmet and retopology.

Thanks for the response. It's still pretty early in development cause I'm not sure how I want to detail it yet. Im currently just in the rough modeling stage. The retopology I was doing was because I find it easier to block model and follow up with sculpting after (I sculpt in Blender cause I can't afford ZBrush). The retopology I've done so far is just so the subdivision comes out well. I also looked at the warframe official workshop guide and noticed that it says there is a tri budget of 5k that I somehow overlooked. At any rate, here is a screenshot of my progress so far with plenty more details to come: (HIGH poly version)TSMZbbO.png

Thanks again for the response.

Edited by Tsawodi