Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

(PC) WASD and arrow keys moving cursor? Can't be disabled?

Efreeti

Are you guys aware, that if you right click on Warframe in your steam library and go to properties, then look at the final option on the General tab "Steam Input Per-Game Setting".  If you set steam's controller detection to forced off, Warframe will not see your controller at all?  Its a real simple fix, if your starting the game through steam anyways. (And you don't want to use a controller, obviously) 

Edited by ShinSpark
Spelling.

On 2019-03-01 at 2:39 PM, ShinSpark said:

Are you guys aware, that if you right click on Warframe in your steam library and go to properties, then look at the final option on the General tab "Steam Input Per-Game Setting".  If you set steam's controller detection to forced off, Warframe will not see your controller at all?  Its a real simple fix, if your starting the game through steam anyways. (And you don't want to use a controller, obviously) 

This is pretty useless. Read what people are saying. I don't run the game through Steam and don't have a controller, the game is *hardcoded* at this point to have WASD move your cursor to UI options, usually on accident.

On 2018-06-22 at 1:24 PM, Efreeti said:

I feel like I'm the only one I know who plays Warframe for whom this is an issue. I have a controller but I never use it for Warframe. I have always and will always use keyboard and mouse. However, since the new update relating to D-Pads/cursor control for controller users, whenever I press WASD in the UI when there's a cursor present, even when just to type something in a search field, the cursor moves around to different UI elements. This is just beyond annoying and I hope this will be made possible to disable in the settings.

Oh yeah! That. When I played on PC for a couple hours, I liked when I was in navigation, I'd just press W A S or D and it'd move my cursor over to the Pause/Cancel area when joining a mission. T'was nice

• Like 1

8 hours ago, (NSW)Cqllel said:

Oh yeah! That. When I played on PC for a couple hours, I liked when I was in navigation, I'd just press W A S or D and it'd move my cursor over to the Pause/Cancel area when joining a mission. T'was nice

Sadly, for me, and I assume for many other dedicated PC Warframe players, this is disruptive and extremely unwanted.

7 hours ago, Efreeti said:

Sadly, for me, and I assume for many other dedicated PC Warframe players, this is disruptive and extremely unwanted.

Eh. It would be a problem if you didn't press the chat button hard enough and started typing and your cursor going errywhere. Just as long as you don't select lol

But I can see how annoying it is when you're tryna select something but accidentally press a key

On 2019-03-05 at 7:27 PM, (NSW)Cqllel said:

Eh. It would be a problem if you didn't press the chat button hard enough and started typing and your cursor going errywhere. Just as long as you don't select lol

But I can see how annoying it is when you're tryna select something but accidentally press a key

Ever single day I play Warframe this bothers me. It's a huge quality-of-life issue with the game and has been for 8 straight months now. I'm extremely disappointed.

• 1 month later...

This really isn't anywhere near the issue you make it out to be, which is probably why it's gotten no response at all. WASD doesn't do jack for moving the cursor if you have a text field active, so that sounds like you just don't click the field or hit T firmly enough to ensure that it's set to such. It's (mostly) intuitive and easy to use for use in Navigation or moving around the mission results screen, as well. I never play Warframe with a controller, K/M only, and this has been nothing but a QoL *improvement*, not downside. If you find yourself having trouble having the game recognize you typing in a field, then examine your typing habits, because it doesn't just randomly start moving the cursor so long as focus is on a text field. Most likely it's your own sloppy habits to blame.

On 2019-04-24 at 11:28 PM, RikaCovenant said:

This really isn't anywhere near the issue you make it out to be, which is probably why it's gotten no response at all. WASD doesn't do jack for moving the cursor if you have a text field active, so that sounds like you just don't click the field or hit T firmly enough to ensure that it's set to such. It's (mostly) intuitive and easy to use for use in Navigation or moving around the mission results screen, as well. I never play Warframe with a controller, K/M only, and this has been nothing but a QoL *improvement*, not downside. If you find yourself having trouble having the game recognize you typing in a field, then examine your typing habits, because it doesn't just randomly start moving the cursor so long as focus is on a text field. Most likely it's your own sloppy habits to blame.

This thread has shown I'm not alone in my frustration. This whole thing could be solved by making it optional. I haven't heard from a single person who utilizes this change, only either people who hate it, or didn't notice it. If you say you feel this is useful, you're the first person I've seen in 10 months to think so. I could not disagree more about it being intuitive. If it was confined to the arrow keys, and not WASD, I might have been more inclined to agree. Please try a more constructive approach than blaming me, and others, for having "sloppy habits".

• Like 1

On 2019-04-26 at 1:52 PM, Efreeti said:

This thread has shown I'm not alone in my frustration. This whole thing could be solved by making it optional. I haven't heard from a single person who utilizes this change, only either people who hate it, or didn't notice it. If you say you feel this is useful, you're the first person I've seen in 10 months to think so. I could not disagree more about it being intuitive. If it was confined to the arrow keys, and not WASD, I might have been more inclined to agree. Please try a more constructive approach than blaming me, and others, for having "sloppy habits".

Didn't say you were alone in your frustration, just that it's nowhere near the massive issue that you have tried making it out to be. Your first post was in June 22nd, 2018, and in all that time since then, you've gotten to not quite three pages of posts, quite a few of which are your own. Most people don't care or use it minimally without mention. This is what I mean by it not being a real issue for DE to address.

Sure, making it optional would be a good middle ground- nothing wrong with more options for how you control the game, after all. However, the nonsense about "if it was confined to the arrow keys not WASD" it'd make sense? WASD is standard movement. It maps to up/down/left/right. This is several decades old, now. They're bog standard when it comes to basic movement, in menus and otherwise, with a KB/M setup.

Lastly, me telling you to look at your own sloppy habits IS a constructive approach. Just because you don't want to self-reflect and actually see if your own habits are what is causing your grief doesn't mean it's not constructive criticism. Considering how the vast, vast majority of players, as demonstrated by how few actual replies that aren't your own here, are either a) used to WASD menu movement, or b) are completely unbothered by it, something specific to how YOU and those few others interact with the game is at fault here. Considering the descriptions of how it's aggravated you and others in this thread involving people's bad habits ("I impulsively tap the keys so this bugs me to no end!" easily fixed by tapping non-WASD keys, or looking into why you impulsively tap the keys to begin with- definitely a THEM problem, not a DE problem. "I have cherry MX switches so even the slightest pressure sets it off!" So take your fingers off the keyboard keys when you're using just the mouse, if you already know what the issue is? I mean, if you aren't even capable of not typing incorrectly all over the place otherwise because your keyboard is too sensitive, then don't use super-sensitive cherry MX switches? "whenever I press WASD in the UI when there's a cursor present, even when just to type something in a search field" the last being your complaint, and being a complete non-issue if you just have the text field actually selected in the first place, so instead of jumping into typing, make sure you actually have the text field selected, and when you start typing, your cursor won't move around everywhere!), y'all need to look at your own selves first, before screeching about it to DE.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RikaCovenant said:

Sure, making it optional would be a good middle ground- nothing wrong with more options for how you control the game, after all. However, the nonsense about "if it was confined to the arrow keys not WASD" it'd make sense? WASD is standard movement. It maps to up/down/left/right. This is several decades old, now. They're bog standard when it comes to basic movement, in menus and otherwise, with a KB/M setup.

Player movement, yes.

Mouse pointer teleportation? No.

The mouse pointer moving along with the player motion keys is a very strong sign that you're dealing with a crappy console port.

• Like 1

On 2019-04-28 at 11:39 AM, DoomFruit said:

Player movement, yes.

Mouse pointer teleportation? No.

The mouse pointer moving along with the player motion keys is a very strong sign that you're dealing with a crappy console port.

Menu manipulation, yes. You're thinking of it explicitly as a mouse cursor, rather than a menu cursor. Go back through the decades and play damn near any PC game and you'll find that it maps the same way, until around when WoW mapped the menu cursor solely to the mouse, and it's been emulated by a fair few since- but it's also been disregarded by many, many more, who have continued to have keyboard control of menu cursors while sometimes also supporting mouse control. While the way it was introduced was due to console port control unification for Warframe, that doesn't mean the setup is (solely) because of it being a crappy port.

• Like 1

On 2019-04-30 at 1:17 AM, RikaCovenant said:

Menu manipulation, yes. You're thinking of it explicitly as a mouse cursor, rather than a menu cursor. Go back through the decades and play damn near any PC game and you'll find that it maps the same way, until around when WoW mapped the menu cursor solely to the mouse, and it's been emulated by a fair few since- but it's also been disregarded by many, many more, who have continued to have keyboard control of menu cursors while sometimes also supporting mouse control. While the way it was introduced was due to console port control unification for Warframe, that doesn't mean the setup is (solely) because of it being a crappy port.

The oldest games that I've currently got installed would be Deus Ex and System Shock 2, neither of which move the mouse pointer around when I press the WASD keys. For Deus Ex, the arrow keys serve to move the currently highlighted entry in the main menu and seem to change some kind of hidden highlight for the in-game menus, but they also do not move the mouse cursor. SS2 is kinda unusual here in that you can still move around (using the WASD keys) with the in-game menu open. The main menu for SS2 doesn't actually have any kind of keyboard control - it's mouse only.

Red Faction is the next oldest game that I have here. Just as with Deus Ex, the WASD keys do absolutely nothing in the main menu, while the arrow keys change the currently highlighted menu entry but do not move the mouse pointer.

Going off genre here to Freespace 2, the WASD keys also do absolutely nothing here, though I'd expect such a thing because the control scheme for a space fighter game is vastly different. Arrow keys serve to scroll up and down if there's a text box or multiple line area (eg. pilot list) visible, but do nothing. Perhaps more related is the joystick input also does absolutely nothing here - your primary input device for controlling your player character (used in a rather loose sense here) doesn't move the mouse pointer.

Even further into a different genre is Supreme Commander (technically Forged Alliance, but it's the same engine). WASD and arrow keys do nothing. This includes moving the mouse pointer around.

Something newer would be Red Faction Guerilla (the Re-Mars-tered edition here) where the WASD keys change the selected item in the main menu, but very critically do not hijack the mouse pointer. They move the map around when you select that in-game, but again the pointer is not touched.

No Man's Sky is the final game that I'll be looking at here. Not only do the WASD keys not move the cursor around, they're actually used for inventory selection (A/D for scrolling between personal/starship/freighter/exocraft, Q/E for picking sub-inventories such as main/technology).

So no, game history says that Warframe's mouse puppeteering is the nonsensical aberration.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Exactly. RikaCovenant, you seem to be arguing from a standpoint as if this kind of menu control is commonplace in PC games (other than maybe a couple direct console game ports). It really isn't. The cursor moving when you don't move the mouse, is jarring, because no other game that I've played, at least any that I can think of, does this.

• Like 1

Trust me he's far from alone in his frustration.  With the new stay/leave menus popping up while I'm moving my character around - keyboard presses instantly push the cursor up to the top left, where you previously would have had to move it to leave the squad.  Needless to say, this utterly defeats the entire purpose of the new UI - if the hypothesis for the goal of the new UI was to reduce clicks.  This was never an issue for me previously, but showed up after this patch.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

I don't understand the reason for this bug...

... Yes, I can only see this "feature" as a bug... As soon as it works the way it does without a connected gamepad controller (no matter the brand, the inside is still the same crap as only the gimmick is different), its a bug... Because, honestly, it creeps up on players like a bug, annoys people beyond belief like a bug so, by that reasoning alone, its a bug...

... Why haven't this been squashed yet, or given the option to actually disable it or, even better, hardcode the bug to gamepad controllers only instead of hardcoding it for everything and everyone?

Why the lazyness? This is just a matter of literally adding a detection line into either the controls code or the UI code. Again, why the lazyness? I already know no one in this thread is going to get a reply from anyone in the staff, so that leaves the question...

Spoiler

Why so lazy?

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...