Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New Inventory UI - please improve

ViroMelchior

The new UI looks pretty.  But the inventory screen, especially for sharing a screenshot or trying to sell stuff is an absolute clusterf**k.

Basically if you don't use the search function, you are stuck mouse-overing every single item to figure out what you're looking for.

First, there are only 3 sort options.  Quantity owned (which falls apart when dealing with 1-of items, and/or blueprints that you don't need because you already built the item).  Sell Price, which is 99.9% useless to begin with, because basically everything you want to sell in the game varies between 2500 and 10k credits - and you are probably going to sell/not-sell regardless whether it is worth 1k or 20k.  And name - which would be useful if there was any indication of names in the inventory itself.  Imagine a box of crayons.  Now sort them by name instead of color.  And finally remove the labels from all of them.  How useful is it that they are sorted by name?

More useful is the ability to filter by category (ie, only warframes, or only blueprints), and the ability to search.  If you are looking for 1 specific item, its pretty easy to find.  But if you're browsing your inventory to sell stuff (to get it out of your foundry), you're going to be stuck using a basic filter and then a LOT of mouse-overs.  However, you can only filter by 'weapon', not by primary/secondary/melee at all.  You can search melee/pistol/rifle/shotgun which helps, but again is just a filter.  If you don't have weapon icons memorized, you'll now have to do your mouse-over search.

Suggestions:

Provide a few toggle options.  One, a nameplate toggle, which displays item names at the bottom of each item box.  Second, a mastery toggle so we can view mastered/not-mastered without mouse-over (which will show up on the blueprints and the weapon/warframe itself).

Add in sort by recent.

Show us resources owned, not just resource blueprints (even if we can't sell them, or the sell price is 1 credit each).

Get rid of the keys category - since we can't sell keys, only blueprints.  Which you don't ever really have a need to check.  Add those and all keys (including the keys themselves, not just the blueprints) into Gear where they belong.

Merge Archwing & Archwing weapons into one tab.  That one needs to be sub-divided less than the Weapons do.

That frees up 2 spots in the filters without changing the UI at all.  Get rid of "weapons", and replace it with Primary, Secondary, and Melee.  Filter list bar stays the same size, but does it's job better now.

Edited by wyldmage

50 minutes ago, wyldmage said:

Provide a few toggle options.  One, a nameplate toggle, which displays item names at the bottom of each item box.

You mean this?

L5Xiasg.jpg

Check interface options.

Edited by Ksaero

58 minutes ago, Ksaero said:

You mean this?

L5Xiasg.jpg

Check interface options.

Thanks, yes, this is exactly what I was looking for.  Having it buried in the game options instead of on-inventory-screen doesn't make sense to me.  But I guess it is at least there.

Because of the lack of names I screwed up and sold my Oberon Prime Systems Blueprint (rare drop) when trying to sell off the random Oberon (not-prime) stuff that had been dropped.

And as far as I'm aware, I'm just SoL on that tragedy.  (as is, a confirmation prompt when trying to sell Prime bits would also be appreciated)

Edited by wyldmage

This right here is why the item labels are important and should be enabled by default.

It's not a matter of aesthetics - the UI is more difficult to use without them.  A useable UI should not be buried in the options menu.

Yeah, thankfully they added back the labels but the fact that they are disabled by default makes me think that it was kinda like "Yeah I mean, it still looks better without them but if you want them back here they are" which is kinda lame. I don't think that nobody ever complained about them but oh well. I wish they would still enable them to everyone in a next update so at least people are aware about it.

Adding the labels is a step in the right direction (I also agree with DE needing to let go of the "but this is how we want the interface to look" thing and default labels to "on"). Also, we need additional information - namely, the Credit value of the item, and in the case of the ducat kiosk, the Ducat value (and perhaps also the credit value). 

On 2018-06-23 at 10:52 PM, Ham_Grenabe said:

Adding the labels is a step in the right direction (I also agree with DE needing to let go of the "but this is how we want the interface to look" thing and default labels to "on"). Also, we need additional information - namely, the Credit value of the item, and in the case of the ducat kiosk, the Ducat value (and perhaps also the credit value). 

It's a bandaid and not very effective at that. The UI is still real mess and in my option unfixable by small changes like that, only by new ground up redesign. This was a mistake and DE needs to finally realize that. I pity the designer who made this and whose work will inevitably end in trash, but it's life, better get it over sooner than later.

Agreed on all counts. I feel for the design team, because it's hard not to double down on your work -- but I also think there needs to be some back-to-the-drawing-board stuff done here. Sometimes you can't fix a picture by continually redrawing pieces of it or trying to work overtop it. Better just to start again.

Edited by Ham_Grenabe