Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[SPOILERS] The Truth About Lotus and "The Mother"

So I have been digging around lately about the topic of who or what this "Mother" character lotus talks about is. Some things that confused me were how lotus changed to her "natah" form. While ballas did take her from lua, he never did anything to change her appearance. My theory is that lotus was being controlled somehow.  She had given up the name "natah" as stated in the second dream. This "mother" character could be the one controlling her. Sentients seem to share a sort of hive mind similar to the infested. However unlike the infested, they are much more organized. Remember that the orokin used the sentients to find them a new home, which they said they would share with the sentients. This got me thinking on how its possible they could control the sentients into doing this for them. This "hive mind" theory explains how they accepted there offer. Now heres my biggest theory as of now. Lotus says "im coming home, mother" not "im coming home to you, mother". This emphasizes the fact that mother may not be a person. Mother in the way lotus says this is simply a title given to her creator. We dont actually know how sentients are created but this mother entity seems to be the creator of sentients. My theory is that "mother" refers to the entire tau system. Meaning the entire tau system is one huge sentient. Idk what you guys think so lemme know. They gave us a ton of lore to think over in the sacrafice and its interesting to go through all we know now.

I don't think that Sentients share a hive mind all the time. They're able to connect in a hive mind manner, but at the same time they're able to partition themselves to 'give birth' to another sentient. Given that Hunhow is Natah's 'Father', if we want to draw as close a parallel to human reproduction, Natah is the result of a partitioned 'Inner Join' of Hunhow and her Mother. Ballas' introduction is the result of a fragment of her mother entering our system to see what's going on. Natah and her mother 'connect', resulting in a factory reset of Natah's parameters.

2 hours ago, Streaky_Haddock said:

the lotus is the hat. I'M CALLING IT NOW.

Especially when one considered the whole duality thing. Margulis is a data ghost in the hat. Natah is the hyper genius computer vehicle that she uses to move around.

I agree with this one, but with a slight difference.

My theory is that Margulis is the flesh and blood (Orokin) body. Natah is what we confronted in Sacrifice, and the Lotus is whatever resides within the helmet. In essence, Margulis and Natah are now one, and have left (presumably, but not verified, for the the Tau system), and we are left with "Lotus", but in a form that is unable (yet) to interact with us as she did.

Also along this line, I wouldn't be surprised to see Ballas return as a hybrid Sentient since Margulis/Natah took his body with her.

8 minutes ago, Ryim_Drykeon said:

I agree with this one, but with a slight difference.

My theory is that Margulis is the flesh and blood (Orokin) body. Natah is what we confronted in Sacrifice, and the Lotus is whatever resides within the helmet. In essence, Margulis and Natah are now one, and have left (presumably, but not verified, for the the Tau system), and we are left with "Lotus", but in a form that is unable (yet) to interact with us as she did.

Also along this line, I wouldn't be surprised to see Ballas return as a hybrid Sentient since Margulis/Natah took his body with her.

You can see the Lotus' human body stuck within the sentient chassis. It looks semi-merged, but it's not as complete and seamless as I'd expect a full on shapeshifting sentient to be!

1 minute ago, Streaky_Haddock said:

You can see the Lotus' human body stuck within the sentient chassis. It looks semi-merged, but it's not as complete and seamless as I'd expect a full on shapeshifting sentient to be!

Agreed. That's why I used the term Hybrid for talking about it and possibly a future Ballas. And I believe the human body is Magulis'. I believe the "Lotus" is an unanticipated side effect of Natah (the Sentient) merging with Margulis (the Orokin) the first time. I think that whatever means the Sentients used to infiltrate the Orokin backfired and wound up creating the "Lotus"....which caused all sorts of issues for all sides, heh.

Of course, at this point it's all theory.

Speculation fest below :
Lotus, which we came to know as Natah, is the sentient entity, the person we saw walking off with Ballas was Margulis. Just like ballas' experiments with warframes, he conducted a plan to revive Margulis but it needed sentients to come to pass, hence the Lotus helmet, which was a direct link between Margulis & Lotus, while slowly reviving Margulis. Similar to Hunhow speaking and acting through Stalker with his sword and sentient attachments. 
Which does explain to a degree why Lotus betrayed the plan of eradicating the Tenno because of Margulis' memories. Second part of the experiment was Umbra, on how to prolog ones life and existance ; Umbra got obliterated but was brought back to life simply by re-making the warframe itself. Not really a far off thing u'd expect from Ballas considering how ballistic he went on the Dax due to Margulis' death.

10 hours ago, bad4youLT said:

its hunhow , have you people forgot natah quest ?

Nope

45 minutes ago, SeriouslySinister said:

Maybe? but it would weird for her to call "him" mother when she kept calling him father prior to this even if he is technically both. 

and Nope.

Re-watch the quest and remember what Ballas said about the Sentients. They are are reproducing.

So ready to meet Grandma Hunwhen.

About Lotus, there is a lot more at play. 

7 hours ago, Ryim_Drykeon said:

Agreed. That's why I used the term Hybrid for talking about it and possibly a future Ballas. And I believe the human body is Magulis'. I believe the "Lotus" is an unanticipated side effect of Natah (the Sentient) merging with Margulis (the Orokin) the first time. I think that whatever means the Sentients used to infiltrate the Orokin backfired and wound up creating the "Lotus"....which caused all sorts of issues for all sides, heh.

Of course, at this point it's all theory.

Yeah, there seems to be 3 personas in one body.
I'm curious to see if Ballas just implanted Margulis memories on Natah, and along the way both crashed creating the Lotus, and upon awakening she reacted as Margulis, but knowing she was Natah and reverting to the Sentients original plan (could explain why Ballas claimed she was the hand)... I'm really interested on knowing more at this point.

Sadly

7 hours ago, (XB1)ECCHO SIERRA said:

I look forward to finding out what happens next in 3-5 years.

Edited by Souldend78

Just now, Souldend78 said:

Re-watch the quest and remember what Ballas said about the Sentients. They are are reproducing.

They don't need a mother and father to do that, one can reproduce, I don't think they even have functional genders. 

4 minutes ago, SeriouslySinister said:

They don't need a mother and father to do that, one can reproduce, I don't think they even have functional genders. 

"Don't think"

thats the loophole, it is not mentioned in game either, so it goes both ways to assume or to disregard.

Then again, when it comes to machines, mother-ship seems fitting. So you could be entirely right, but as of now, I'm going by game lore given to us.

Edited by Souldend78

1 minute ago, Souldend78 said:

Don't think, thats the loophole, it is not mentioned in game either, so it goes both ways to assume and to disregard.

Hunhow said Natah was from his womb and the giant sentient in cetus was going to repair itself with kuva so it could make more. It's implied its not like male/female reproduction. . 

14 minutes ago, SeriouslySinister said:

Hunhow said Natah was from his womb and the giant sentient in cetus was going to repair itself with kuva so it could make more. It's implied its not like male/female reproduction. . 

"Natah was the daughter, until I destroyed her. Now I'm the Lotus. Now I'm the mother".

Maybe you are the one assuming they have no gender.

But you are correct on saying Hunhow is the mother.

Again, that means I have to stop assuming a manly voice, made Hunhow a male. Since they speak as they do have genders.

47 minutes ago, Souldend78 said:

"Natah was the daughter, until I destroyed her. Now I'm the Lotus. Now I'm the mother".

Maybe you are the one assuming they have no gender.

But you are correct on saying Hunhow is the mother.

Again, that means I have to stop assuming a manly voice, made Hunhow a male. Since they speak as they do have genders.

"Functional" gender. they might be gendered for whatever reason (preference? how they conduct themselves? Lotus refers to hunhow as if he was male and calls him father regardless of her being form his "womb"). It just doesn't seem to serve a biological function.  

And I'm fairly sure she means mother as in her role there. 

Edited by SeriouslySinister

• 3 weeks later...