Glaive Shortcomings

Voltyr

So a while ago I got a Glaive blueprint as a login reward. The material costs were hefty, but since I happened to have just enough I decided to build it.
And it is one of the most fun weapons to use in the game. The throwing is brilliant. But it functions terribly unintuitively.

When throwing the Glaive, I noticed that it only hits with the centre of it's mass, while my instinct is to try and hit things with the actual blades, which makes a lot more sense. It's hard to hit something with what is essentially a tiny invisible box somewhere in the centre of the weapon, and it is extremely irritating to wath the Glaive's blades slice through enemies without doing any damage. Just because they're not a hitbox.  It is extremely frustrating, makes no sense, and generally detracts from both the weapon's usefulness and it's feel.

The second shortcoming of the Glaive as I perceive it, is that it bounces off of enemies. This makes no sense because the blades seem to clip through enemies quite happily, but when the whole thing hits an enemy and even splits it in two, the Glaive magically bounces off of a surface on the enemy that it is clearly shown to easily be able to completely cleave through. Therefore the Glaive should be able to piece enemies innately like all other melee weapons capable of hitting multiple targets do.

Unless any changes along those lines are made, the Glaive is just a gimmicky toy. The charge damage potential remains good, but that doesn't even nearly make up for the fact that it is a weapon that just might hit an enemy after a long travel time, and then bounces in a more or less random direction, abdandoning you for a long time before returning to your hand, usually too little too late as a horde of enemies floods the area.

I agree that it would be kickass if it wouldn't bounce off something it slices neatly in two. If it hits something and DOESNT kill it, then sure it should bounce after doing that big chunk of damage, but I think that if it kills something with that throw it should just keep going until it hits something it can't kill |3

But it functions terribly unintuitively.

When throwing the Glaive, I noticed that it only hits with the centre of it's mass, while my instinct is to try and hit things with the actual blades, which makes a lot more sense.

Why would a grazing hit be better than a direct hit? The blades on a rotating Glaive do not just extend to the left and right, but fore and aft as well.

The flaw here is your intuition and sense, or lack thereof.

The second shortcoming of the Glaive as I perceive it, is that it bounces off of enemies. This makes no sense because the blades seem to clip through enemies quite happily, but when the whole thing hits an enemy and even splits it in two, the Glaive magically bounces off of a surface on the enemy that it is clearly shown to easily be able to completely cleave through. Therefore the Glaive should be able to piece enemies innately like all other melee weapons capable of hitting multiple targets do.

While the hitboxes are far from perfect and the number of enemies it can strike quite arbitrary, having the Glaive change direction when striking an enemy is hardly nonsensical. Even if you cut completely through something, it does not imply their was no interaction/reaction between the two objects, quite the opposite actually.

the Glaive is just a gimmicky toy.

Precisely what it's supposed to be.

i noticed all these problems when i first got it too, then after a long time using it with a extra forma ive gotten very good at using it in tandem with other weapons and getting kills on the return and has become a very powerful weapon

a few updates ago they included a mod Glaive Power Throw but it was never active in the game, it allowed puncture.. i guess they thought it would make glaive too powerful ? i think it would be a good mod just as long as it has a high mod cost