Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Komi Game and the Umbra Population

Unus

Heyya folks, Unus comin atcha here from rural state "couch-converted-to-sick-bed" with some idle thoughts that stuck with me from the sacrifice. 

We all have our guesses as to just how many Umbras there will be and we've all been informed that the concept story behind them was made in just a few short months.

However, due to previous mentions by Digital about limiting the number of Umbras there will be, I think they may have at least left a hint at what they have in mind for the future in the gameplay itself.

In the Komi Game we play with Ballas, the man outright tells us that every single stone he takes in the game is another person who he'll inflict the same horrors the Dax went through on.

Assumeing it isn't randomized successwise, I believe that that may indicate just how many Umbra frames Ballas may have victimized , ones he took a personal interest in.

If the Komi Game isn't rigged, then I at least think that the specific people he gloats about eventually getting to brutalize during the course of the game may be another possibility.

Thoughts? Think I'm seeing information that isn't really there?

Edited by Unus

4 minutes ago, Ogarra_Remaellus said:

Interesting prospect, when I finished the Komi game, Ballas had taken 5 stone.

5, eh? In trying to remember how my own game went, I recall the numbers 5 and 3, but I can't recall who had what. Blast!

3 minutes ago, AlphaPHENIX said:

Only the last komi game was ''fully rigged''.

In other words this isn't the most accurate way to pinpoint the amount umbra frames that Ballas made, sence any number of the stones could also (maybe) represent prime frames.

That.

I think what we really should look at in this hypothesis is not the stones that Ballas takes, but what he says and who he mention specifically.

Namely, he explicitely pointed out three more people. So, 3 more Umbras? Would make sense, since with Excalibur that makes four - just enough for a full cell.

4 hours ago, AlphaPHENIX said:

Only the last komi game was ''fully rigged''.

In other words this isn't the most accurate way to pinpoint the amount umbra frames that Ballas made, sence any number of the stones could also (maybe) represent prime frames.

Then it seems the people he mentions might be the better route to take. Thanks for the clarification.

4 hours ago, VisionAndVoice said:

That.

I think what we really should look at in this hypothesis is not the stones that Ballas takes, but what he says and who he mention specifically.

Namely, he explicitely pointed out three more people. So, 3 more Umbras? Would make sense, since with Excalibur that makes four - just enough for a full cell.

And that's what I've been wracking my brain for since last night. WHO he specifically states.

I think it went something like "This one, a father. These, two sons."

You also bring up a good point I hadn't thought of before. I myself had been anticipateing that only all of the starters would receive an Umbral form, a sort of "Alpha leading into Omega" effect. That would NOT, however, lead into having a full cell, an EXCELLANT marketing poster set-up for if, say,  an announcement of a slow journey towards Tau appears.

5 minutes ago, Unus said:

Then it seems the people he mentions might be the better route to take. Thanks for the clarification.

And that's what I've been wracking my brain for since last night. WHO he specifically states.

I think it went something like "This one, a father. These, two sons."

You also bring up a good point I hadn't thought of before. I myself had been anticipateing that only all of the starters would receive an Umbral form, a sort of "Alpha leading into Omega" effect. That would NOT, however, lead into having a full cell, an EXCELLANT marketing poster set-up for if, say,  an announcement of a slow journey towards Tau appears.

Well i dont really remember because i played it when it came out and it was 3AM at central Europe. But if I am to guess who those frames will be then the safest bet is one of them will be Rhino. Why? Well two reasons first Rhinos prime codex entry and second is that Rhino is one of the original frames (and few other nonspecifical reasons like his resemblence to excalibur).

And yes if I recall corectly there were two sons and father. We already know father is Excalibur but they said and it was almost just almost shown how he killed one of his sons. So I dont think it will be just one family members but safe bet is it will be some former Dax soldiers.

One last thing that just sits in the shadow of my mind. When you finish the Second dream frame you have had equiped during that time also shows signs of sentience to save you. Problem is it can be any frame what so ever because you arent forced to have specific frame equiped (for me it was Loki Prime). And in the same scene there is another important hint to umbras. And thats Hunhow askign stalker if hes wandering if he used to be one of "these wretched things" while looking on your tenno. In light of Sacrifice this means that Stalker is most likely also Umbra or one of the very first warframes. But Im puzzeled over that what he means one of these things. Is he refering to Orokin? To humans? To Tenno? Who knows? But I would love to find out.

13 hours ago, butka1998 said:

Well i dont really remember because i played it when it came out and it was 3AM at central Europe. But if I am to guess who those frames will be then the safest bet is one of them will be Rhino. Why? Well two reasons first Rhinos prime codex entry and second is that Rhino is one of the original frames (and few other nonspecifical reasons like his resemblence to excalibur).

And yes if I recall corectly there were two sons and father. We already know father is Excalibur but they said and it was almost just almost shown how he killed one of his sons. So I dont think it will be just one family members but safe bet is it will be some former Dax soldiers.

One last thing that just sits in the shadow of my mind. When you finish the Second dream frame you have had equiped during that time also shows signs of sentience to save you. Problem is it can be any frame what so ever because you arent forced to have specific frame equiped (for me it was Loki Prime). And in the same scene there is another important hint to umbras. And thats Hunhow askign stalker if hes wandering if he used to be one of "these wretched things" while looking on your tenno. In light of Sacrifice this means that Stalker is most likely also Umbra or one of the very first warframes. But Im puzzeled over that what he means one of these things. Is he refering to Orokin? To humans? To Tenno? Who knows? But I would love to find out.

Hmmmm. . . I think that mighta been the Prototype Rhino rather then the Umbral rh. . . wait. . . I wonder. . . the Umbra we have right now has had it's blind eye revealed to us. The rhino horror has a slavering maw. See no evil and speak no evil, with a hear no evil thrown in at some point? Gah, seems like a pretty long stretch.

Oh, but Ballas wasn't referring to the Dax at the time, he was specifically saying that another father and another two sons were to meet their fates by him.

Hunhow was talking about the Operator Stalker had his blade hovering over as a "wretched thing.".

12 hours ago, Mints said:

If I remember right, Ballas specifically mentions the Jade Light in relation to those he would take symbolized by game pieces. This is execution, like Margulis.

I don't recall a direct equivocation between the two points. I recalled him mentioning both those he'll torture down the generations AND "consigning his love to the Jade Light", but not having the two mix. Wonder if we have an audio transcript losing around somewhere?

Well something I noticed is that Komi plays EXACTLY like the chinese game Go (which is also known as Weiqi, weichi, baduk, and igo). Normally the smallest board for Go is a 9x9, but this one was a 5x5. The point in Go is to stake out territory, defend it, and take prisoners, so using the stones as a stand in for the Dax's family is a VERY close comparison

8 hours ago, Teslan.Bladesong said:

Well something I noticed is that Komi plays EXACTLY like the chinese game Go (which is also known as Weiqi, weichi, baduk, and igo). Normally the smallest board for Go is a 9x9, but this one was a 5x5. The point in Go is to stake out territory, defend it, and take prisoners, so using the stones as a stand in for the Dax's family is a VERY close comparison

The disturbing part is that Ballas seemed to be plotting out the Dax's future family, that he would personally take the time, decades or centuries down the road, to find even the most distantly genetically related relatives JUST to make good on his promise.

Now THAT is true Hell-On-Earth.

11 hours ago, Unus said:

Hmmmm. . . I think that mighta been the Prototype Rhino rather then the Umbral rh. . . wait. . . I wonder. . . the Umbra we have right now has had it's blind eye revealed to us. The rhino horror has a slavering maw. See no evil and speak no evil, with a hear no evil thrown in at some point? Gah, seems like a pretty long stretch.

Oh, but Ballas wasn't referring to the Dax at the time, he was specifically saying that another father and another two sons were to meet their fates by him.

Hunhow was talking about the Operator Stalker had his blade hovering over as a "wretched thing.".

I don't recall a direct equivocation between the two points. I recalled him mentioning both those he'll torture down the generations AND "consigning his love to the Jade Light", but not having the two mix. Wonder if we have an audio transcript losing around somewhere?

Thats the point with rhino. Umbras are prototypes. The first warframes. I dont know about that other family but if you ask me they will certainly use daxes for it because from what we know from codex there is hierarchy amogst the Orokin. And Dax? Low low low on that staircase. And with that stalker i wouldnt be so certain because only person we know for sure that was used (sacrificed) for warframe was dax. And you should remember that Tenno and Dax are also orokin from what we know. Tenno are orokin children from lost ship and Dax soldiers from lover end of orokin hierarchy so I think hunhow was speaking about orokin.

5 hours ago, Unus said:

The disturbing part is that Ballas seemed to be plotting out the Dax's future family, that he would personally take the time, decades or centuries down the road, to find even the most distantly genetically related relatives JUST to make good on his promise.

Now THAT is true Hell-On-Earth.

Indeed