Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

stuck at umbra

LoneMortalis

Question

So i am trying to do the new umbra quest and got up to the Neptune mission where you have to deplete his shields with your amp yet there is one big problem, my amp is level 4 and i am not doing near any damage i  am supposed to do? Thanks to anyone that helps

Edit: Finished the fight, to those wondering I am a mastery level 10 I just never used my amp really that much, thanks anyone which answered anyway

Edited by WarFrameSmurfer
  • Like 1

16 answers to this question

At this point, you should whittle down his shields with your Warframe, then attack with the Amp as much as you can, then Void Blast him, then use Transference when the prompt happens.

However, you really should try building an Amp that has the huge beam (should be the first Scaffhold you can craft) and use Magus Vigor sets on Operator for durability, when you can, and try unlocking Waybounds you deem necessary. You'll understand very soon as to why.

8 hours ago, Zilchy said:

Sounds like you're taking on the mission way too early tbh. But if you must insist on doing it , the only way is to just keep hitting him once and respawning, rinse and repeat etc

8 hours ago, Koldraxon-732 said:

At this point, you should whittle down his shields with your Warframe, then attack with the Amp as much as you can, then Void Blast him, then use Transference when the prompt happens.

However, you really should try building an Amp that has the huge beam (should be the first Scaffhold you can craft) and use Magus Vigor sets on Operator for durability, when you can, and try unlocking Waybounds you deem necessary. You'll understand very soon as to why.

That is exactly what I did to deplete his shields it took about 20 minutes but hell was it boring.

As nothing will really indicate you anything on that matter ingame, you're supposed to go to Cetus, on the right near the Cetus door, there is a room on top of stairs you can only access with your Operator, with the guy from the Quills who will sell you stuff for Amps and Operators.

But good luck with that, because to build Amps, you need to kill Teralysts, which are boring to kill... without Amps. Such an intelligent design, I know. You can also farm Sentients on the Moon if you enjoy slow-as-hell standing grind.

Anyway, you can also defeat Umbra with the basic Amp you get from the initial quest, even though that's a long, painful and boring way to proceed. Still feasible.

Good luck !

Edited by Chewarette

1 hour ago, Excaliburnn1 said:

That is exactly what I did to deplete his shields it took about 20 minutes but hell was it boring.

Thats probably  becouse you have 0 investment in amp/focus.I feel like DE should implement a mr restriction on most of the quests so ppl would not rush the  content and not get in situations like yours but then again you don't even need to unlock the planet in witch a mission is located at to complete the quest.

Edited by Nephalem

9 minutes ago, Excaliburnn1 said:

lol true I need to make a better amp, but I really wanted umbra so... running with the mote amp was the way to go. what amp do u recommend?

The cheapest amp ,if i remember corectly, you can get it with 500 standing but the high er tier amps will require a lot of time investment and eidolon hunts ,not to mention the focus schools that helps you a LOT with the amp dps.Just so you get an idea ,i brought umbras shields down in a matter of seconds...

Edited by Nephalem

4 hours ago, Nephalem said:

Thats probably  becouse you have 0 investment in amp/focus.I feel like DE should implement a mr restriction on most of the quests so ppl would not rush the  content and not get in situations like yours but then again you don't even need to unlock the planet in witch a mission is located at to complete the quest.

I stopped Warframe for a year and am replaying since a few days before Sacrifice. Was MR23 at the time, with Warframe-oriented passive focuses (I was playing at a time where Operators were useless, so my few millions of points I had when focus 2.0 arrived were spent ignoring Operator passive completely), your restriction wouldn't change S#&$.

The design of Umbra's encounters in this quest is problematic, mainly because the Sacrifice arrives soon after The Second Dream and The War Within, where you're introduced with your Operator and Focus Schools. There is probably like 10 hours of game-time between TSD and Sacrifice, during which there is NO hint of what you're supposed to do to have a powerful Operator. If you're completely new to this game at this point, there is no way you will understand you need to kill hundreds of Eidolons and spend WEEKS grinding for Focus Points to be able to not struggle completely against a part of Sacrifice.

Once again you're talking about people "rushing" to reach Sacrifice. Nobody "rushes" to get Sacrifice. People will get to Sacrifice in probably one week of /played, with the most difficult content they've ever encountered being Sentients (that can be one-shotted with some frames, you don't need Operators). This is a major design flaw in regard of new players.

Of course they could implement your elitist solution of blocking quests behind a MR26-with-at-least-3-million-focus-point in all focus schools requirement, but that would probably be a bit too much for a LORE QUESTLINE, just because they decided to force the Operator down your throat for ONE encounter.

Anyway, that's probably deviating a bit too much from the original topic. :P

Edited by Chewarette
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Chewarette said:

I stopped Warframe for a year and am replaying since a few days before Sacrifice. Was MR23 at the time, with Warframe-oriented passive focuses (I was playing at a time where Operators were useless, so my few millions of points I had when focus 2.0 arrived were spent ignoring Operator passive completely), your restriction wouldn't change S#&$.

The design of Umbra's encounters in this quest is problematic, mainly because the Sacrifice arrives soon after The Second Dream and The War Within, where you're introduced with your Operator and Focus Schools. There is probably like 10 hours of game-time between TSD and Sacrifice, during which there is NO hint of what you're supposed to do to have a powerful Operator. If you're completely new to this game at this point, there is no way you will understand you need to kill hundreds of Eidolons and spend WEEKS grinding for Focus Points to be able to not struggle completely against a part of Sacrifice.

Once again you're talking about people "rushing" to reach Sacrifice. Nobody "rushes" to get Sacrifice. People will get to Sacrifice in probably one week of /played, with the most difficult content they've ever encountered being Sentients (that can be one-shotted with some frames, you don't need Operators). This is a major design flaw in regard of new players.

Of course they could implement your elitist solution of blocking quests behind a MR26-with-at-least-3-million-focus-point in all focus schools requirement, but that would probably be a bit too much for a LORE QUESTLINE, just because they decided to force the Operator down your throat for ONE encounter.

Anyway, that's probably deviating a bit too much from the original topic. 😛

They will "force the operator down your troat" more then you will think bc this seems to be just the begining with the umbra encounters.Nobody said anything about making the quests for mr 25 only! The only thing that botheres me is (this is a personal opinion so please don't rage even tho some one will) umbra was in the making for a good 2 years and i expected it to be something diferent and special. I was hopping it would be a frame that  not everybody will get it so easy and so fast and it will require some work to put in it and not just complete a quest but then again its a free game and everything they release its free. Saw a lot of mr 6-10 with umbras and honestly that left a bitter taste for me(not that i have anything with low mr players, not everyone has the time to invest in the game like some ppl do). I hope in  focus 3.0 they will make a better connection with the quests and the operator and ofc the focus so everyone understands what you can do with it and how to get more.

Edited by Nephalem

On 2018-06-26 at 7:15 PM, Yagamilight123 said:

You have to love people that cant even complete a fight in where you can die as many times as you want without losing progress .

Your frame doesn't have unlimited deaths tho. Other day I sat there for 10 mins goin at umbra with my mote amp and nothing so I built my first reap amp today and am gonna rank it then do Umbra. Can't believe it took me this long to build one lol, freaking fish baits sucks. 

• Like 1

I know it is an old topic but somehow still applies to my current situation; I started playing only couple of weeks ago, and that quest takes a lot of patience so far - switch to operator mode, run to Umbra, deal miniscule of damage, get 1shot, rinse and repeat :D

Am I not supposed to play that quest at my level (9) yet? I only got that Operator mode not long ago and the only time I've needed it was on story quests, thought that's what it is for honestly; now I'm seeing this thread and looks like I am supposed to level it up on some hidden bosses or something? I never saw any tips or pointers in game about operator mode or how to level up the gear. Found that starting "Mote Amp" weapon via guide here (Quills are hidden quite obscurely for me) and now I can deal 2% of damage per try instead of 0.2 it seems :D

Anyhow - Do I just stop doing storyline quests before much later? I was super interested in them so that's a shame, but I don't want to burn out on borderline "impossible" stuff, game is tons of fun apart from that strange operator parts.

43 minutes ago, (PSN)bsandro8866 said:

Am I not supposed to play that quest at my level (9) yet?

Mastery Rank has no direct influence over how much damage your Amp does, nor the other aspects of Operator prowess.

46 minutes ago, (PSN)bsandro8866 said:

I never saw any tips or pointers in game about operator mode or how to level up the gear.

Your Amp works like your other weapons, kill stuff with it, or be (in Operator form) near allies when they kill stuff.

Mind, ranking up your Amp and then gilding it to increase its stats doesn't work for the Mote Amp, craft your own custom Amp for that.

48 minutes ago, (PSN)bsandro8866 said:

Found that starting "Mote Amp" weapon via guide here (Quills are hidden quite obscurely for me) and now I can deal 2% of damage per try

Ye, do your best to get at least a 111 Amp (all basic tier parts at the Quills), it makes a HUGE difference compared to Mote.

Also, to survive longer / do generally better as Operator, some Focus farming can help there,
as well as a carry or two (ask your Clan) through the basic Eidolon (Teralyst) Bounty for Eidolon Shards to unbind Waybound Focus nodes.

Yeah Literally everyone has this problem.

The quest is assuming players have actually spent a fair amount of time fighting eidolans and upgrading their operator cus that was the big endgame prior to the release of the quest.

If you have even a moderately decent operator setup you tear through umbra like a loaf of bread. But you have to go way out of your way from the main gameplay loop to progress your operators power and the game does nothing to steer you in that direction first.

Most people just end up brute forcing it with the mote amp and without operator arcanes or good focus skills because they're not even aware they can improve their operator that much at that point in the game.

Some people are having a similar issue with railjack and the new war. So keep that in mind for later. you're gonna want a decently upgraded railjack, and at least an engineer crew member. But at least starting the new war forces you to get to veil proxima so you can only #*!% that up if you exclusively ride other players' railjacks and never upgrade your own.

Edited by PollexMessier

2 hours ago, (PSN)bsandro8866 said:

Am I not supposed to play that quest at my level (9) yet? I only got that Operator mode not long ago and the only time I've needed it was on story quests, thought that's what it is for honestly; now I'm seeing this thread and looks like I am supposed to level it up on some hidden bosses or something?

Pretty much....

DE designed The Sacrifice and Chains Of Harrow Quest under the Assumption that you either spent Weeks in ESO farming Focus everyday.... Ooooor.... Spent Weeks Banging your Head Against the most Toxic Game mode in Warframe (Eidolon Hunts).... 

Neither of those are Practical Grinds for the Type of player who just Unlocked The Sacrifice....

I never saw any tips or pointers in game about operator mode or how to level up the gear. Found that starting "Mote Amp" weapon via guide here (Quills are hidden quite obscurely for me) and now I can deal 2% of damage per try instead of 0.2 it seems :D

Your Only clue is a Message you get from "Unknown" after Completing Saya's Vigil telling you to Return to Cetus once you have Completed The War Within...

The problem here is that alot of players Complete Saya's Vigil Literal Days before they even come across The War Within....

Anyhow - Do I just stop doing storyline quests before much later?

Not really ... If you bang your Head against them Hard Enough you can Clear all the Quests with just The Mote Amp....

You just won't be able to Enjoy Those Quests...... Infact you might wind up hating them like I did....

I was super interested in them so that's a shame, but I don't want to burn out on borderline "impossible" stuff, game is tons of fun apart from that strange operator parts.

I hear ya....

Well... I guess now you have to decided if you want to Start Farming Focus/Amp Parts....

1 hour ago, PollexMessier said:

But at least starting the new war forces you to get to veil proxima so you can only #*!% that up if you exclusively ride other players' railjacks and never upgrade your own.

You mean to break the Crystal ? 

I think they Removed that Requirement.... Once you buy a Mech and Railjack then you are Automatically New War "Ready"....