Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What is the intended purpose of Warding Thurible?

Clem2-TheClemening

In my current build, I only cast Thurbile for 3 seconds for 10 energy/kill. 3 seconds of damage reduction isn't exactly worth a mod slot. If I really need protection while channeling, I can use my other abilities, or hide.

If I wanted more energy/kill, I would still be giving up a mod slot that could be used for efficiency or power strength which would achieve the same purpose, without relying on enemy damage. I could be using enemy damage to build Covenant instead, and get total invulnerability.

If I wanted to dedicate a build to it, I would need to channel most of the time. Not only is this not fun, it goes completely against Harrow's design of active support. If I really wanted to give my allies 90% damage reduction, to the point that I would get little use out of harrow's playstyle, there's a better way of doing that: Gara, which has the added benefits of massive damage and cc as a side effect of maintaining the buff.

Is there some other use for this augment I'm overlooking, or is it just bad? Including it in a build seems to make Harrow worse.

EDIT: Changed my mind on this, see other post.

Edited by Clem2-TheClemening

Then I would say that the intended purpose is to give you 0.5 extra energy per damage while channeling thurible. 

Not every augment is fantastic, and certainly not every one is for every player. If you don't like it--great! You just saved yourself some standing or plat!

:lotus:

Actually I think the idea is to use it while getting shot at to get more energy to use with Thurible.
EDIT: Rage has 40%, That other mod has 45%, and this has 50% AND damage reduction, so you can just sit there getting shot at accumulating loads of energy.

Edited by Horonelius

The energy from damage stacks up fairly quickly. I tried it on Hydron and after about 4-5 seconds of channeling I was getting 135 energy/headshot kill, which is quite good. But that alone doesn't make it worth a slot.

The damage reduction, as it exists right now, is totally worthless. The effective DR should be capped at 50-60 and applied to the active phase of thurible rather than the channeling phase.

1 hour ago, NullSaint said:

Then I would say that the intended purpose is to give you 0.5 extra energy per damage while channeling thurible. 

Not every augment is fantastic, and certainly not every one is for every player. If you don't like it--great! You just saved yourself some standing or plat!

Well said

I would figure the use is for Harrow to get energy back while sacrificing energy for Thurible. 

As when Channeling Thurible he is exposed to be killed hence the DR not only makes him safe but gives him more energy to sacrifice for bigger returns.

I could see it pretty good with Quick thinking as Harrow would regen extreme amounts of energy per kill

6 hours ago, Buzkyl said:

I would figure the use is for Harrow to get energy back while sacrificing energy for Thurible. 

As when Channeling Thurible he is exposed to be killed hence the DR not only makes him safe but gives him more energy to sacrifice for bigger returns.

I could see it pretty good with Quick thinking as Harrow would regen extreme amounts of energy per kill

Quick thinking, Healing return on pure status weapon melee and Penance

if i can make mirage able to face tank 20 lvl 130 heavy gunners oh it will be interesting to see what harrow can do.

On 2018-06-28 at 8:00 AM, atejas said:

The effective DR should be capped at 50-60 and applied to the active phase of thurible rather than the channeling phase.

I haven't tested the augment yet, but this idea sounds waaaay too strong, to the point of making the augment "mandatory". On Duration builds Thurible lasts for about a minute and is refreshable. Giving Harrow an augment that would let him continually have 50-60% DR is too much power in a single mod.

Edited by SenorClipClop

On 2018-06-28 at 6:09 AM, Clem2-TheClemening said:

In my current build, I only cast Thurbile for 3 seconds for 10 energy/kill. 3 seconds of damage reduction isn't exactly worth a mod slot. If I really need protection while channeling, I can use my other abilities, or hide.

Try thinking of the DR as a secondary benefit of the augment rather than the point of it (especially considering the active phase is always longer than the channeling phase). It appears the purpose of this augment is to grant more freedom in casting Thurible. Without the augment, effective Thurible casting is pretty limited to downtime (ie between Defense waves), Covenant's invincibility phase or, as you mention, hiding. With the augment, Thurible can now be cast in the middle of fights.

The conversion of hits to Energy lets you charge a decent amount of Energy into Thurible much faster, lets you charge Energy into it beyond your max Energy pool, or lets you get a large amount in there without exhausting your pool completely (so you can Condemn straight out of 3 channeling). The DR is there to help you not die while you're charging.

Some things to note (I've tested this now) is that the DR scales with Strength mods and caps at 90%. I'm not sure if the 0.5 Energy conversion scales with Strength because that's pretty difficult to observe (Thruible is constantly going up, and modding strength affects that scaling too), but even if it doesn't you still have a Thruible that can ramp up some pretty huge numbers. I'll link a pretty impressive example that another Tenno put up in a similar thread of the absurd things you can do with this mod.

As for this mod being worth a slot? I'm not sure yet, but it shows promise. You can probably rule this out for Eidolons since it's best charged with many rapid hits. It's probably going to useful in certain situations, but I need to time to play with it in missions before I decide to run it or not. If I do run it, I think I'd prefer it on my high-Strength Harrow build to keep him in the fray as much as possible, and I'd probably sub out Flow. Flow's pool can be made redundant by a mod that lets me charge large amounts of Energy and lets me cut down on channeling time, in exchange for taking a bit of extra damage.

Edited by SenorClipClop

On 2018-06-27 at 11:28 PM, (PS4)Ragology said:

Where do people go to vote on mods?

Design Council. Only Founders have access to voting, as they were given this privilege of directing small parts of the game due to their initial investment in a very buggy and S#&$ty game that was allowed to grow into what we have today, a very buggy and good game. They barely get to vote on stuff though, and I would prefer it if most Augments, not just 1 or 2, are voted on by the Council, mostly because the stuff they vote for is the best option and they have the foresight to see what's the best augment in a batch of ideas due to their experience.

It lets you build energy faster while increasing the damage you and your team can actually sustain.

The longer you build your invulnerability the longer your crit buff lasts too, which means you don't get the invulnerability again for a while. With this you can get in the habit of channeling during the crit buff phase for the damage resistance and build up energy even faster. But I guess it just depends on your play style. Sounds great to me because I channel Thurible until I get to 25 energy back per kill so it's a longer channel but I restore energy to my team at a much higher rate. Now I could get more back in the same amount of time or just use it for damage resistance while Covenant is on cooldown...

I've done some testing and changed my mind about this mod. When there are some ranged enemies nearby, I can charge the ability to 10 or more in a second. However, it's harder to make good with infested. The loss in efficiency from replacing streamline while there are no enemies around isn't too bad.

One thing I would like changed is for it to work while invulnerable from Covenant. It's a bit of an anti-synergy right now.

Build:

Spoiler

rJYMHWn.jpg

I'll do some more testing in normal missions.

Edited by Clem2-TheClemening
added build

Please...

I cant stand people saying "if you dont like it, it's your problem". The problem here is that it doesnt have any use. Nobody need 400 energy each time they kill an ennemy, thurible was already fine as it was. This mod would join the list of augment that will never be played, except if you decide to play meta with it and give your whole team immunity and crit  when switching from thurible to covenant non stop, eventually not playing the game because thurible just cant let you perform any other offensive actions

On 2018-06-27 at 9:42 PM, Buzkyl said:

Quick thinking, Healing return on pure status weapon melee and Penance

if i can make mirage able to face tank 20 lvl 130 heavy gunners oh it will be interesting to see what harrow can do.

I wouldn't say it's bad.  After using it myself and getting hilariously high amounts of Energy from a heavygunner attacking, I find it quite entertaining to use.  I do wish the DR lasted the duration of the buff instead of just channeling, being as I think that would be fair with how many other frames can reduce damage.  Far from the worst augment that came out this round, in my opinion.

On 2018-06-28 at 1:22 AM, NullSaint said:

Well if the designers of the game bothered every augment could and should be useful.