The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Suggestion] Click To Charge, Click Again To Fire

0xCAFE

My suggestion is to add an option for weapons that require charging (Paris, Dread, Paris Prime, Lanka, Ogris, Miter, etc). So here's how it works:

Click LMB (I'm assuming fire is bound to LMB) and the weapon charges up and holds the charge.

Click LMB again and the weapon fires.

Now let's say you click LMB again while the weapon is charging. In that case, the weapon will behave how it currently does when you release the charge early. E.g.

Bows will shoot the arrow since charging is optional.

Ogris "jams" (according to the wiki; I don't have one myself).

Lanka doesn't fire.

etc

Of course, normal charge rules still apply. So if you charge up your Paris and get knocked on your ***, you still lose the charge.

Pros:

Charge weapon users' index fingers won't be in massive pain and discomfort allowing the users to continue playing and throwing money at DE.

Cons:

DE must throw money at devs/QA/PMs/BAs to implement the feature.

I actually really like this idea. It is immensely annoying to be running abound holding LMB. So not only are charge weapons massively underpowered (with the exception of the ogris), but they are very annoying to use. This would at least fix one part of that.

Pros:

Charge weapon users' index fingers won't be in massive pain and discomfort allowing the users to continue playing and throwing money at DE.

Is it really that big of a discomfort that players will leave the game? They might take a finger stretch/break but they won't ditch the game.

Cons:

Ability to rapidly use the bow in crunch situations is incredibly hindered, making it easier for you to die.

Because of how charge mechanics work, this would completely break melee combat, also making you die.

Short version: no.

This option isn't for everyone. If your style of play involves heavy use of firing uncharged arrows, then don't enable the option. And how does this break melee combat? If you're thinking of charged melee attacks, that's completely outside the scope of my suggestion; you can't even hold the charge for melee weapons.

No. Why? Because it'll make Ogris/Lanka/Paris semi-auto-like.

Charge mechanic is good as it is now, it's a price you must pay for the huge damage.

How will it make Ogris or Lanka semi-auto like? You still need to wait for the full charge period to complete before you can fire. Clicking LMB prematurely will "jam" the Ogris and reset the charge on Lanka. As for Paris... as the poster I quoted above pointed out, you can already fire that like a semi auto weapon (with a low rate of fire).

Is it really that big of a discomfort that players will leave the game? They might take a finger stretch/break but they won't ditch the game.

I wasn't being serious in that last bit. I am serious about the suggestion.

Perhaps instead of 'click LMB once to charge', the player could 'Hold down LMB to charge until weapon is ready, then s/he can release the LMB and the charge is stored'? Might make it a little better.

By the way, this entire discussion reminded me of Hawken's charge weapons (I'm looking at you EOC Repeater). It's a little annoying holding my finger down all the time to maintain a full charge, but it's not too bad. It stops the virtually most powerful weapon in-game from becoming super OP. 

But couple that with a worn down mouse contact switch... *Shiver (Thankfully that time is over)