Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Host Migration is a broken mechanic

-CdG-Velvent

30 min into Kuva survival we get a host migration cause 1 person wanted to leave and the migration went so bad it crashed the game.

Log back in, no session to rejoin and half an hour worth of kuva is lost.

Where the hell are those catch-up servers DE was talking about?

How hard can it be to make a host migration that doesnt break the entire game or bugs everything and just works....

The very sad truth about Host Migration... It's broken and leads to nothing but disaster... It would be nice being able to screenshot the loot but you cannot tab the progress window when the migration happens...

I've lost countless of stuff by host migrations.. nowadays I make sure I host the room by any means necessary.

Edited by Daziri

2 minutes ago, Daziri said:

The very sad truth about Host Migration... It's broken and leads to nothing but disaster... It would be nice to being able to screenshot the loot but you cannot bring on the progress tab when the migration happens...

I've lost countless of stuff just by host migrations.. nowadays I make sure I host the room.

I just solo everything, easier that way and I don't have to put up with anyone. The community in this game has changed a lot since the beginning. It's almost depressing, and most of the host migrations come from ragequitters and people who dish out crap and can't take being dished back their own. Some of them are of course, actual accidental disconnections, but for me, that usually isn't the case. Even then, some of the ragequitters are from entitled people thinking someone isn't playing the game according to their ideals because they have "most damage done" in the tab menu. 

Rant over

TLDR; 

the future of warframe terrifies me

1 hour ago, -SMG-Velvent said:

Where the hell are those catch-up servers DE was talking about?

Where did they talk about that?

How can DE give you something that, according to their servers, you didn't get?

1 hour ago, -SMG-Velvent said:

How hard can it be to make a host migration that doesnt break the entire game or bugs everything and just works....

Very easy and they are doing it just to spite you, in particular.

24 minutes ago, SpicyDinosaur said:

I like the comment about only a few host migrations eating lewtz. Hehe welcome to Warframe, my friend, go play the newest mission style they have or heck read about it here, on the forums somewhere. It's sort of a... thing.  🙄

ive been playing since just after open beta weekend so.. i know its a thing. Ive done multiple kuva floods and never had an issue where it ate my "lewtz" next time you decide to call me out, quote me.

2 hours ago, ---Quill-Onkko--- said:

ive been playing since just after open beta weekend so.. i know its a thing. Ive done multiple kuva floods and never had an issue where it ate my "lewtz" next time you decide to call me out, quote me.

Kuva Floods are not the most recent mission type by sooo much, honey.....

4 minutes ago, SpicyDinosaur said:

Kuva Floods are not the most recent mission type by sooo much, honey.....

sorry meant to type kuva survival. Idk what the "most" recent mission type is but ive done kuva survival and sanctuary onslaught with no issues in host migration.

Please drop the condescending attitude, it undermines everything you say

3 minutes ago, ---Quill-Onkko--- said:

sorry meant to type kuva survival. Idk what the "most" recent mission type is but ive done kuva survival and sanctuary onslaught with no issues in host migration.

No, I mean Kuva Survivals are NOT the most recent mission type. It's more incredulousness (incredulity? hmm)

We are all talking about those horrid new missions I won't mention because I hate. 😠

2 hours ago, peterc3 said:

How can DE give you something that, according to their servers, you didn't get?

This is not hard.  Most big time mmo games have Client-side logs being kept that can communicate to the server after a fatal error to combat loss of progress.  

DE has fully admitted many times that "host migrations" are a byproduct of the cheap hosting system they needed to implement early on when they were a struggling game company.  They even implemented a system to combat loss of items due to host migration, but I think it was only for Cetus, and NOT for all system missions.  Now that they are almost considered a "titan" (arguably) of the free2play model, with lots of capital, they haven't chosen to revisit their matchmaking systems.  This is likely a monetary-based business decision.  (ie: they'd received very little gain from the high amount of Dev-time it would take to revamp the foundations of their game systems.)

Edited by AlMcFly

7 minutes ago, SpicyDinosaur said:

No, I mean Kuva Survivals are NOT the most recent mission type. It's more incredulousness (incredulity? hmm)

We are all talking about those horrid new missions I won't mention because I hate. 😠

sanctuary onslaught then? unless theres some new and super obscure mission type i dont know about

3 minutes ago, ---Quill-Onkko--- said:

sanctuary onslaught then? unless theres some new and super obscure mission type i dont know about

Perfect! You got it!

Now do you know why everyone is upset?

I don't play it, and I get to watch the person beside me screaming at his monitor 😛 because of how awful it is. It came back recently after a brief absence I think?

edit: I really thought about adding a fake new mission 

Edited by SpicyDinosaur

1 minute ago, SpicyDinosaur said:

Perfect! You got it!

Now do you know why everyone is upset?

I don't play it, and I get to watch the person beside me screaming at his monitor 😛 because of how awful it is. It came back recently after a brief absence I think?

no. and i already said that.

17 minutes ago, ---Quill-Onkko--- said:

Its just another endless mode, not really worse than the others. Better actually since its constantly changing through the course of it. the reward kinda suck but I cant complain too much.

6 minutes ago, ---Quill-Onkko--- said:

no. and i already said that.

Its just another endless mode, not really worse than the others. Better actually since its constantly changing through the course of it. the reward kinda suck but I cant complain too much.

Well you aren't playing it often in that case, it works differently than other mission types to the point that there are a ton of bugs not involved in say survivals etc.

The mechanics are not "just another.." or I'd probs like it better, I hate change, is scary. 😕

1 minute ago, SpicyDinosaur said:

Well you aren't playing it often in that case, it works differently than other mission types to the point that there are a ton of bugs not involved in say survivals etc.

The mechanics are not "just another.." or I'd probs like it better, I hate change, is scary. 😕

I know how it works with the custom extraction and spawns and because of those host migrations happens more often than other modes

7 minutes ago, ---Quill-Onkko--- said:

I know how it works with the custom extraction and spawns and because of those host migrations happens more often than other modes

Okay one more post to be Queen of the Internet because I'm in the middle of a index run but that's not how it works, those features make it very different.

9 minutes ago, SpicyDinosaur said:

Okay one more post to be Queen of the Internet because I'm in the middle of a index run but that's not how it works, those features make it very different.

what? if you stay in the previous area it extracts you. Extraction happens more often than other modes because of that. How is that "not how it works" ?

Yes it makes it different that is what i said.

2 hours ago, AlMcFly said:

This is not hard.  Most big time mmo games have Client-side logs being kept that can communicate to the server after a fatal error to combat loss of progress. 

Please point to them so I can better understand how there are MMOs that trust anything the Client says w/r/t drops.

Only had one host migration failure during an endless mode (or at least one that I remember... tend to forget ones that happen before I get much loot).  Yeah it sucked, but out of total game time it was a minimal loss (ok the BP has been a pain since I haven't gotten it again but oh well).