Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

just an idea for a Nyx Rework.

(PSN)robotwars7

from what I've seen, a quite a few people reckon Nyx needs a rework, she is currently one of the less powerful frames and is in danger of being made obsolete to most people by the upcoming "Vlad" Warframe, which also has mind-controlling abilities, but is tougher and has life-stealing capabilities. I ahrdly ever see Nyx users in games as it is, so I've decided to throw my hat into the ring.

a quick, slapdash rework for Nyx that i literally just thought of:

Mind Control: enemies who are mind controlled gain increased health and armour, and become fully interactive like Hostages/Operatives; if their weapon is not doing enough damage, you can make them use your secondary Weapon, and you can command them to hold position and follow. a more complex but interesting take on this would be to give her a similar system to what Khora has with Venari: switching between attack, defensive and support modes could be quite useful.

- attack mode encourages your "minion" to go on the offensive and charge the enemy, melee attacking them if possible.

- defense mode orders your minion to stay put while laying down suppressive fire.in the case of melee enemies, they will stick close to you and attack anyone who gets close.

- Support mode makes your minion deploy a useful item. Grineer would deploy friendly Blunts to cover you, Corpus would throw up shield Ospreys, and Infested would give you a healing buff.

as expected, you can deactivate the power to release your minion whenever necessary.

Psychic Bolts: these should deal way more damage and also have a chance to turn enemies into allies. perhaps also allow them to stagger enemies and remove helmets for easier headshots. possibly increase the number of Bolts to hit more enemies at once. casting Psychic Bolts on a Mind-Controlled minion greatly extends the range of the bolts.

Chaos: still works as normal in regards to making enemies attack each other, but should also buff allies. those who "embrace the chaos" so to speak gain an increase in movement speed and weapon damage. this buff would apply to the Mind-Controlled.

Absorb: can more or less stay the same, but i think it would be cool if it also reflected back the elements put into it; for example, if a fellow Tenno shoots you with a Corrosive weapon whilst in Absorb, the ending explosion would deal Corrosive damage. this would encourage other players to bring powerful weapons to synergise with a Nyx user.

this version of Nyx would be amazing IMO.

i do think Nyx needs some slight love.

However, the way i see her right now, is as a control frame. The only problem with that is, there's really only 1 ability you need to keep spamming with a max range build, and that's her chaos ability. It's kinda annoying that this is the case. I think allowing psychic bolts to scale with the number of enemies you have under the effects of chaos would be nice. There's really no incentive to use my other abilities. Once the enemies are under chaos, they don't really attack your team, or defense targets until they are totally out of targets to attack. Cast it, and take your time killing mobs.

Some quality of life changes, like her mind control. The big issue with this, no matter how strong the mob you grabbed is, the AI is dumb as rocks, and this mobs counts towards defense mission kills. So, in order to progress to the next wave, you need to release it, so you can kill it. So even if you nabbed a decent eximus with buffs to your team, you need to inevitability kill it to move on with the mission. Unfortunately for me, i've had my fair share of newer players not understand this, and then we would ask him to release the mind control so we can move on with the mission. Until we get AI for our mind control that isn't terrible, (like maybe have it attack the enemy you're attacking by default), i would rather see a totally new ability here.

For my playstyle with her, i just use her as pure CC. Once the enemies are under chaos, there's no need to even use absorb. I don't really want the nyx nuke again, but her role is linked to 1 ability, and it is fine for those of us that enjoy gun play. But if you wanted that, you could play Harrow, and offer more to your team outside of just CC. She needs a bit of love to reassess what role she fits into, and if she does fit into a CC role, let's not tie it all into a single ability.