Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

den2k

Unpopular idea on Umbra frames

I'll expose an idea I had on Umbra frames that will make me the target of a lot of flak.

What if there will be other Umbra frames, for the 8 starters for example, but each player will have to choose exactly ONE frame to get and forgo all the others? That would be interesting... It would avoid the proliferation of Umbras and the "new meta" that would kill all the current primes AND it will be a nice personalization of the game: each player will have to choose his one Umbra frame, defining his gamestyle and personality gamewise.

Alternatively, while writing another idea popped into my mind: what if the "Umbraness" of Excalibur could be transferred from a frame to another, but losing it on the donating frame? That would still limit to a single (or another arbitrary limit) Umbra for each player while keeping a modicum of room for changes, i.e. a player discovers his new favourite is another frame and regrets having chosen a specific Umbra.

Ok, I'll put on the armor to protect myself from the leashes...

Pretty much goes against the whole Warframe culture of collect everything. That's all I have for that.

7 minutes ago, Firetempest said:

Pretty much goes against the whole Warframe culture of collect everything. That's all I have for that.

mQre6be.gif

The only way that these ideas could really be feasible is if Umbras released very quickly. If we only got a new Umbra every year/half year or so, then the new quests would either routinely make the old quests pointless, or be completely pointless to do because you already have the Umbra you want. 

The best way to avoid Umbras outclassing Primes IMO is to give them different stats from here on out. Excal Umbra was always the "Excal Prime stand-in" for non-founders, that needn't be the case for the other frames. Give them sidegrades (or side-and-slightly-lower-grades) compared to Prime, with the trade-off of being able to easily apply the Umbral mods. That way people can use Umbras in the presumably-incoming Sentient tileset, and then use Primes when they actually want raw performance.

7 minutes ago, YUNoJump said:

with the trade-off of being able to easily apply the Umbral mods. That way people can use Umbras in the presumably-incoming Sentient tileset, and then use Primes when they actually want raw performance.

Umbral mods give a lot of raw power, much more than primed mods as they benefit from being a set. That's why I wouldn't dislike a "single Umbra per player"

20 minutes ago, Firetempest said:

Pretty much goes against the whole Warframe culture of collect everything.

That would be a major plus IMHO. It's not like Warframe ever put much effort on cohesiveness. Besides, forcing a player to make a choice, a sacrifice, in a "gotta catch 'em all" game would be pretty nice.

8 minutes ago, den2k said:

Umbral mods give a lot of raw power, much more than primed mods as they benefit from being a set. That's why I wouldn't dislike a "single Umbra per player"

That would be a major plus IMHO. It's not like Warframe ever put much effort on cohesiveness. Besides, forcing a player to make a choice, a sacrifice, in a "gotta catch 'em all" game would be pretty nice.

No, it's an idea that literally took you 3 minutes to think of to still continue this meme of trying to make The "Sacrifice" into something literal.

The reason you put armor on yourself is because you knew you had a bad idea and just wanted to post it anyway; you even put down the game itself to try and lift your idea.

Well congratulations OP you really showed us why you deserve a spot at DE's creative department.

4 minutes ago, Fishyflakes said:

. It's not like Warframe ever put much effort on cohesiveness.

what?

you even put down the game itself to try and lift your idea.

Nope, I'm at work and I can't playe - that's why I'm on the forums.

The reason you put armor on yourself is because you knew you had a bad idea

Yes, it is and yes I know.

5 minutes ago, Fishyflakes said:

and just wanted to post it anyway

Exactly! You sure are a bright kiddo.

1 minute ago, den2k said:

Nope, I'm at work and I can't playe - that's why I'm on the forums.

How dense can you be.

I meant put down as in "to lower the worthiness" of something.

Not literally put it down. :facepalm:

1 minute ago, Fishyflakes said:

How dense can you be.

I meant put down as in "to lower the worthiness" of something.

Not literally put it down. :facepalm:

Sorry, not my native language 😄

Pls, no more umbras. Just release the new forma and maybe 3-6 new umbral mods.

That'll do

46 minutes ago, Teloch said:

Pls, no more umbras. Just release the new forma and maybe 3-6 new umbral mods.

That'll do

What do you mean, "no more umbras"?

Do you really want automated friendo to be an Excalibur exclusive? What about those of us who enjoy other frames and want them to fight alongside our operator as well? Not everyone is an Excal main.

I want a few more Umbra's and I like this idea. If you're only ever able to have one then no one is getting a lead in Mastery Rank. If it is limited to the first 8 starter frames then you have the normal and the prime versions of those frames to play with and give you ample time to decide which frame you want an Umbra of. Me? Volt, Hands down.

If you write an idea down on a napkin, run it past several people you don't know before you post it online. 

47 minutes ago, CupcakesMoo said:

If you write an idea down on a napkin, run it past several people you don't know before you post it online. 

In facts online there are several people I don't know. And the last idea written on a napkin I know of is the Ethernet standard and that proved to be quite successful.

2 hours ago, Iamabearlulz said:

Do you really want automated friendo to be an Excalibur exclusive?

I'd rather not see frames controlled by the brain-dead AI at all. Also, I do not need it to be controlled via AI because I don't go teeno mode in 99.5% of cases.

31 minutes ago, Teloch said:

I'd rather not see frames controlled by the brain-dead AI at all. Also, I do not need it to be controlled via AI because I don't go teeno mode in 99.5% of cases.

well i've heard they are probably making maybe more than umbra excal, from a discord tenno

26 minutes ago, (XB1)Solargeo said:

well i've heard they are probably making maybe more than umbra excal, from a discord tenno

I can agree here. Till operators are a viable option I'd rather not have a glorified spectre that won't even use some abilities and can go down very easily. I mean I went into a meso survival, sat in a closet and went into operator mode and it just sat there shooting at a wall for 5 minutes. I think I can live without that.

1 minute ago, (PS4)EpICFreeDoMZz said:

I can agree here. Till operators are a viable option I'd rather not have a glorified spectre that won't even use some abilities and can go down very easily. I mean I went into a meso survival, sat in a closet and went into operator mode and it just sat there shooting at a wall for 5 minutes. I think I can live without that.

I mean if you put enough in to focus operators are very viable.

1 minute ago, (XB1)Solargeo said:

I mean if you put enough in to focus operators are very viable.

Still not as viable as your warframe. Plus they're barely any fun.

3 minutes ago, (PS4)EpICFreeDoMZz said:

Still not as viable as your warframe. Plus they're barely any fun.

1k hp and like 500+ armor? with good damage and all that is not viable?

3 minutes ago, (XB1)Solargeo said:

1k hp and like 500+ armor? with good damage and all that is not viable?

Vs speed, health, better weapons, good abilities? While operations might be viable like you said its going to take a lot of focus to make them like that. Compared to a warframe that you can just pick up and play with and immediately its viable. 

1 minute ago, (PS4)EpICFreeDoMZz said:

Vs speed, health, better weapons, good abilities? While operations might be viable like you said its going to take a lot of focus to make them like that. Compared to a warframe that you can just pick up and play with and immediately its viable. 

they are more viable than some frames.

5 minutes ago, (XB1)Solargeo said:

they are more viable than some frames.

If that's the case youre either using them wrong or using them for the wrong things. All of the frames are viable.

4 minutes ago, (PS4)EpICFreeDoMZz said:

If that's the case youre either using them wrong or using them for the wrong things. All of the frames are viable.

I like frames that can be like Rhino or Oberon or Exca, sorta Jack of All trades.