Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The reason why the people at Solaris have robot heads

CorerMaximus

If you haven't seen it- this builds off what we see in the following video:

I've watched the video way too many times now and tried to answer what we saw in the video- morbidly- this is what my mind concluded too in a way that fits within the Lore of what we know about Solaris. This may not be for the faint of heart and gets kinda dark; look away if you dislike such discussions. 

Notice the adult workers don't have faces; the reason they don't is because they sold it off to reduce their debt. Instead of surgically removing their eyes or nose though, the Corpus found it cheaper to extract the face as a whole and replace it with a robotic head connected to their nervous system. Their teeth, eyes, ears, brains; all healthy parts that can be transplanted into the highest bidding person- are done so while offering to reduce the Solaris United's debt. However, these parts are designed to fail over time- routine maintenance and planned obsolesce that have these poor workers spending money unknowingly adds to their debt instead of had they just kept their original organs, but the workers are overworked to the point they don't notice this. Also- notice the wires protruding off from the workers lower bodies? They also sold off their kidneys and replaced with it cheaper mechanical counterparts with the same problem of failing over time; all in an attempt to reduce their debt. The Corpus have designed an entire medical economy of exploitation around overworking the indigenous population of Solaris. The reason the children still have their faces and organs is to grow it- once matured- these will be harvested too...

Edited by CorerMaximus

I think the corpus just took away their body parts because they haven’t payed off their debt. They probably promised them to give those back after they payed off their debt which we know Corpus being complete meanies lied.

The main reason is probably because so that they can work for them longer, corpus machines are top-notch and by replacing their fragile bodies with machine parts essentially makes them able to work for longer which is what exactly what the Corpus want. Also if you look closely when Fortuna comes up, there is a bunch of words below it saying stuff like, repossessions, fixed interest rates, and wages that are rigged in a way that the debt slaves will forever be in debt no matter how hard they work.

Just now, Kyryo said:

mmh. They are simply robots... so yeah.

But they have human limbs- their hands and legs seem organic, taking away from the conclusion they're robots. That, and the fact that their is a child in the video who seems to follow or look upto a larger body, possibly a father or guardian. That stems that they have intelligence, at one point of their lives had an organic face, and possibly reproductive means to have younger children. That, and if they were robots, Nef Anyo could stop them from protesting and turn off any form of sentience and self-awareness; negating revolts and maximizing profits by minimizing lost revenues on crowd-control and appeasement- it doesn't seem; at least to me, they're robots off an assembly line- but rather, they're humans infused with robotic parts.

The Corpus already quickly purpose-grow crewmen, it's not a far reach to believe that they have advanced medical facilities with organ growing machines that can grow a subject's body parts which also won't suffer rejection. This idea that the Fortuna workers sold their pollutant-exposed organs to the highest bidder seems far-fetched in comparison.

These people are slaves and seeing that Solaris' screed is that everyone has the right to own their bodies, it's more reasonable to believe that their original body parts are confiscated as "bondage insurance" so they're working to get their body parts back.

1 minute ago, RS219 said:

The Corpus already quickly purpose-grow crewmen, it's not a far reach to believe that they have advanced medical facilities with organ growing machines that can grow a subject's body parts which also won't suffer rejection. This idea that the Fortuna workers sold their pollutant-exposed organs to the highest bidder seems far-fetched in comparison.

These people are slaves and seeing that Solaris' screed is that everyone has the right to own their bodies, it's more reasonable to believe that their original body parts are confiscated as "bondage insurance" so they're working to get their body parts back.

Add the fact that they never will get them back, just makes the Corpus a lot more evil than they already are.

3 minutes ago, CorerMaximus said:

But they have human limbs- their hands and legs seem organic, taking away from the conclusion they're robots.

A robot can't have human looking limbs? Look at the hyena? They are animals because they look like it ? No, they still are robots, look at wyrm prime, is it  a dragon because it looks like it ? no, it's still a robot....  

Until we actually put our hands on Fortuna and the lore behind it, we can only make assumption, which 99% of the times are a wrong.

I think it may be something like Empurata in Transformers.

The replacement of one's head with a CCTV-looking thingie in order to alienate a person from society, making them harder to empathise with, harder to understand, by removing means of expression and generally "dehumanizing", for a lack of better term. All with the intent of preventing the person in question from spreading their "wrong" and/or revolutionistic ideas among population.

In Solaris United's case, though, it's easier to empathise with faceless people, since everyone is in the same boat. Hence we have a resistance movement to help to.

And also it may serve as a mean of preventing any thoughts of escaping. It's not exactly easy to get lost in the croud with a toaster for a head, after all.

5 hours ago, Kyryo said:

mmh. They are simply robots... so yeah.

DE have explicitly stated during presentation, that these are cybernetically augmented people in debt with the Corpus.

1 hour ago, WindigoTG said:

DE have explicitly stated during presentation, that these are cybernetically augmented people in debt with the Corpus.

The question is: Why though?  The Corpus can grow new mind slaves and construct legions of smart robots to do the work, why subjugate a society and force them to work til their deaths paying off a debt they never could via cruel and underhanded means.

I think the biggest question isn't what's going on with the toasters for heads, but the motive behind the process to begin with, because the only actual justification and I come up with is Nef gets his rocks off on making people suffer.

Edited by Littleman88

6 hours ago, CorerMaximus said:

If you haven't seen it- this builds off what we see in the following video:

I've watched the video way too many times now and tried to answer what we saw in the video- morbidly- this is what my mind concluded too in a way that fits within the Lore of what we know about Solaris. This may not be for the faint of heart and gets kinda dark; look away if you dislike such discussions. 

Notice the adult workers don't have faces; the reason they don't is because they sold it off to reduce their debt. Instead of surgically removing their eyes or nose though, the Corpus found it cheaper to extract the face as a whole and replace it with a robotic head connected to their nervous system. Their teeth, eyes, ears, brains; all healthy parts that can be transplanted into the highest bidding person- are done so while offering to reduce the Solaris United's debt. However, these parts are designed to fail over time- routine maintenance and planned obsolesce that have these poor workers spending money unknowingly adds to their debt instead of had they just kept their original organs, but the workers are overworked to the point they don't notice this. Also- notice the wires protruding off from the workers lower bodies? They also sold off their kidneys and replaced with it cheaper mechanical counterparts with the same problem of failing over time; all in an attempt to reduce their debt. The Corpus have designed an entire medical economy of exploitation around overworking the indigenous population of Solaris. The reason the children still have their faces and organs is to grow it- once matured- these will be harvested too...

God thats depressing... :sadcry:

BTW did anyone else, when hearing the name "Solaris United" for the first time, immediately think of Tenno football (soccer) matches? 

Edited by FlusteredFerret

I was thinking, if they are in prison, what would be a good way to make sure they didn't escape.  If they had toasters for heads, everyone would know they were on venus for their debts. Really couldn't "Show their face" in normal society and be able to blend it.  about equal to showing up at a local McD in an orange jumpsuit and manacles on your ankles.  Maybe they would get their heads back when they finally clear their debt

Work Culture!

The only value is what you can give to others. And when in debt, in a highly futuristic society, where exactly does one draw the line of what others can and can't use from you?

It's interesting to think about if these people are simply digital echos of whatever brain-pattern constituted the person prior, or if they're still the same person? Does loosing one's head to debt, effectively sell their life away as well? (Both literally and figuratively)

Edited by A-Midnight-Shanking

6 hours ago, RS219 said:

Citation on corpus cloneing other than headcannon? Or pointing at in game models and saying see, all the same faces.

Taking organs from the common foke so the corporation higher ups live vastly extended lives doing pretty much the opposite lifestyle of grineer seems fitting. 

I feel like Techs should have a model change soon. It makes all the sense now a giant Tech with a combat robo head shows up with a Supra. People have argued that they had to be robots in some way for a long time.

There are some really good ideas in this thread! 

I'll be honest, the design seemed kind of silly to me at first, and instead of being inquisitive, I was shut off from wanting to understand why they look the way they do and was content to just be kind of repulsed by their design.

After reading some of the thoughts in here, though, I'm actually quite excited to learn more about the lore behind them and discover why they look the way they do. If even some of the theories in here end up being true, they might end up being my favorite group. I'm a sucker for the whole "repo-man" theme.

Simple question. If their heads are trapped in the Corps repositories, how did they manage to create a sort of Resistance movement and cooperate with Tenno? All the his activities against of the Corps can be terminated at the touch of a button. Bam - there is no head. Or have I missed something?

2 часа назад, Littleman88 сказал:

Вопрос в том, почему? Корпус может вырастить новых рабов разума и построить легионы умных роботов для выполнения работы, зачем подчинять общество и заставить их работать до тех пор, пока их смерть не погасит долг, который они никогда не смогли бы с помощью жестоких и беззаботных средств.

Yes, and this is the second simple question.:) Indeed, why? If a simple army of industrial robots are both more effective and safer than these cyberpunks?

21 minutes ago, Falconer777 said:

Yes, and this is the second simple question.:) Indeed, why? If a simple army of industrial robots are both more effective and safer than these cyberpunks?

Simple.  If organics were doing this work, for this long - they would die from exhaustion, and make a poor workforce - likewise robotics no matter how autonomous generally need some sort of human input or direction for things like problem solving.  The Corpus found the perfect solution to this with proxys.  Your mind controls the robot.     

They want a workforce with the mental flexibility of a human, but the more powerful body of a robot.  (And as the OP mentioned, constantly replacing parts increases debt.  Just like how people drive their car to go work every day but probably pay more in car upkeep than the gain from having that luxury.)  

It's the perfect scheme to keep people indebted and working until they literally cannot anymore.  But in fact - if you look at the way Corpus fight, it's largely the same.  They'll use proxies as much as possible - but they have to have Crewmen etc, around to actually keep S#&$ togehter.  (Except when I'm around).  

Also fun fact - but the name Corpus quite literally means "body."  They're thematically based around the idea of mind and body being separate and interchangeable but equally needed (kind of like the Orokin duality mindset persisted with them into modern day.).  

I've hacked enough Corpus Bursa's in my time to know their machinery is still no replacement for a human mind.  

Edited by (PS4)lagrue

24 minutes ago, Falconer777 said:

Actually come to think of it - this also applies to Tenno and Frame - mind and body must be in synch, neither is worth much without the other.

9 hours ago, Kyryo said:

A robot can't have human looking limbs? Look at the hyena? They are animals because they look like it ? No, they still are robots, look at wyrm prime, is it  a dragon because it looks like it ? no, it's still a robot....  

Until we actually put our hands on Fortuna and the lore behind it, we can only make assumption, which 99% of the times are a wrong.

Although sentinels arent robots, they are their own race that multiple factions were capable of enhancing to their liking.

Which isn't entirely unheard of, real life dogs were bred & crafted. Killed for their flaws in the distant past.

Also robots dont get into dept if they are owned objects. I believe Steve said "augmented"

Edited by (XB1)Evilpricetag

I think you're right about that on everything but one thing. I don't think it's a treatmen you undergo willingly. 

It would make sense to strip off every useable organ to sell off to settle their debt. 

It also makes it easier to control them, because having a machine in place of a brain (one that's installed by the Corpus themselves) makes it easier to have some programs to shut everyone down if things go south. A lock on higher and motor brain function would make an open revolution impossible, and it would fit with the Corpus style. If you remember Vor's Prize, the Ascaris is derived from a device they use to control their robotic proxies and prevent them from going out of control. 

Considering their history i would not put it beneath them to use such devices on indebted humans too after replacing their organs and heads with machinery... 

It would also be a good explanation for why a society as controlled as the Corpus one is even allowing this kind of under-the-hood rebellion to even exist. Dissenters are an excellent excuse to keep requesting more funds from the Corpus Board and siphon away what's given (on the basis of bloated reports of insurrection) but not needed into other projects, something i can very well see Nef do... When the reality is that the first time this insurrection tries to rise above tolerance levels Nef can just shut down everyone and be done with it. 

Even more, it makes so much more sense that the floor boss of Nef is in control. Maybe she is the one that has the switch, and Nef allows her to keep her pet rebellion to lull them into a false sense of security when in reality the off switch is still in his hands via the potebtial control switch... And it would also explain why the conflicts, from what we've seen, are limited to the surface of the planet and nit to Fortuna itself - the city is too important for that, but the outer bases can drown in fire if it serves to further Nef's goals. Considering those weird biomechanic spiders we see coming out of the statue that are unlike any Corpus proxy we've ever seen, it might have something to do with that, or with the (spoilers from The Sacrifice there) 

helmith strain and possible experiments to repurpose it into a tool to create a second proxy army, this ine much stronger, for Nef to gain more power in the Board and the Corpus to possibly suppress the Grineer once and for all

Edited by Autongnosis