Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Clarencezer

Weapon proposal - Corpus minigun / Held underarm waist stance

Recommended Posts

I have always wanted a weapon in warframe where the stance of the tenno was to hold a weapon somewhat at the waist level, this pent up need and want came from when I started to remember the feeling of what it was like holding that minigun turret in Halo and firing it from the waist, it made me feel like I was carrying a "Heavy weapon". As much as I love the Gorgon and Supra and other supposed heavy weapons in warframe, I was wondering if it were possible for this to happen! I would absolutely love a weapon that we Tenno can hold via a stance as shown below.

 

References from Pintrest and Warframe itself.

MTckZKw.jpg

My attempt at modeling a Corpus weapon [WIP] ūüėě

LF3gLGb.jpg

Weapon Concept 01 - Weapon structure [WIP]

s7V3tyF.jpg

Weapon Concept 02 - Weapon reload [WIP]

fvyfBnN.jpg

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish they would do this sooooooooooo much. The closest they've been willing to give us, have been in Archwing. Have you been able to do any of the actual animation with modeling tools? I feel like having to make new animations for movement are what has held them back from doing something like this in the game.

But if someone else did most of the work for them, they might be willing to give it a shot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This doesn't feel right in the context of normal gameplay.

5 minutes ago, Ryme said:

I wish they would do this sooooooooooo much. The closest they've been willing to give us, have been in Archwing. Have you been able to do any of the actual animation with modeling tools? I feel like having to make new animations for movement are what has held them back from doing something like this in the game.

But if someone else did most of the work for them, they might be willing to give it a shot.

If this requires new movement animations, nobody will use it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Ryme said:

I wish they would do this sooooooooooo much. The closest they've been willing to give us, have been in Archwing. Have you been able to do any of the actual animation with modeling tools? I feel like having to make new animations for movement are what has held them back from doing something like this in the game.

But if someone else did most of the work for them, they might be willing to give it a shot.

As far as I have gotten to was rotating the flaps out and in lmao but that was just via pivot rotation, I have not rigged the actual model :,). This was meant to be more of a quick suggestion but hell yeah maybe I can work something out if I progressed the idea further, I've always wanted to try out weapon reload animations besides walk / run / jump cycles 8^)!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tbh Im not sure how much i would a minigun in this game, but damn OP you did a great job on the work you put into this idea. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice job with the model rig, but this kind of weapon has no place in the Tenno arsenal. Make no mistake, It would amasing in the hands of a suped-up Corpus Tech character, but it really doesn't mesh well with the character and game-play design of the Tenno.

To put it simply, does it make sense to be carrying around this weapon underhanded at the waist yet also being allowed to move at a rapid pace with rapid parkour movements? Rhetorical question, no it wouldn't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The animations already exist, it's just that the sheer size of the weapons are bigger than Galatine, meaning parkour is out of the question unless you somehow fit the Archwing on your back and reconfigure it to lighten the weight of said weapon. However I can see a Corpus beam cannon that charges up and then lets out a massive beam which melts everything and leaves patches of smoldering fire everywhere else being a thing using the Archwing primary animations.

Main challenge is keeping the weapon's proportions around Arca Plasmor, Opticor, and Galatine Prime's sizes, and ensuring future weapons share the same general size for consistency.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2018-07-10 at 2:54 AM, peterc3 said:

This doesn't feel right in the context of normal gameplay.

Nah, it fits perfectly,  we use more odd weapons that look more ridiculous  than a conventional minigun

just shift it down to proper size so it looks natural.

On 2018-07-10 at 2:54 AM, peterc3 said:

If this requires new movement animations, nobody will use it.

Same goes for melee stances, but that's not stopping DE for developing more complex stances that few people will use. 

Why not add more variety on how we hold primary weapons.

 

On 2018-07-11 at 7:32 AM, (XB1)RPColten said:

Nice job with the model rig, but this kind of weapon has no place in the Tenno arsenal. Make no mistake, It would amasing in the hands of a suped-up Corpus Tech character, but it really doesn't mesh well with the character and game-play design of the Tenno.

To put it simply, does it make sense to be carrying around this weapon underhanded at the waist yet also being allowed to move at a rapid pace with rapid parkour movements? Rhetorical question, no it wouldn't.ÔĽŅ

Ever saw the Lenz? that thing is massive yet they developed a way to holster it, run with it, and parkour with it.

Warframes are strong, like hella strong, carrying a minigun like a toy should not be an issue. 

 

A good shooting game like Warframe needs at least 1 minigun model to play with. They already have the animation from archwing why not utilize it for something new and interesting. Like a freakin badass minigun thats goes BRRRRRRTTTT

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I support the idea of a minigun, it sounds so cool holding this in a defense mission and just emptying my entire ammo supply in one big BRRRTTT

Here! take my plat! just take it! i don't even care. 

I just want one of this bad boys to be playable in anything but archwing XD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm laughing at all the people acting like a hip-fired minigun is some ridiculous and impossible thing.

  1. If there's one thing DE doesn't shy away from, it is undertaking massive and grandiose tasks. "Too much work" is not a plausible rebuttal when it comes to "rule of cool" suggestions. If DE likes the sound of something, they'll go for it.
  2. There's no reason why this sort of weapon would NEED movement or parkour restrictions. It really only comes down to a different aesthetic presentation. If we can accept Galatine Prime sticking through the floor while we slide, we can accept holding a minigun in 1 hand while wall-hopping.
  3. There would be no significant mechanical differences between something like this and, say, Soma Prime or Supra Vandal. There's no basis for claiming that it "doesn't fit" within the arsenal we already have. It's just another large-magazine automatic weapon with a different grip.

If you can actually come up with valid reasons as to why a weapon like this is a BAD idea, let's hear them. Otherwise it's just fashionable naysaying.

The concepts look great, OP. I'd love to see non-AW Grineer/Corpus/Tenno variations of this weapon. Perhaps replace reloading with an overheat mechanic to help differentiate them from similar weapons? Reload mods could affect heat dispersion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2018-07-09 at 2:54 PM, peterc3 said:

This doesn't feel right in the context of normal gameplay.

That's your opinion. Which I'm very sure a lot of players don't share.

Also, are you always this much of a killjoy? A player offers a really cool and workable idea - complete with natural postures and such...and you proceed to take a dump on the whole thing.

For reasons.

On 2018-07-09 at 2:54 PM, peterc3 said:

If this requires new movement animations, nobody will use it.

Citation needed.

Also, your argument is centered on a highly questionable if not outright false premise.

 

7 hours ago, H.Katsura_999 said:

we use more odd weapons that look more ridiculous  than a conventional minigun

That also contort your arms into weird and unnatural positions and angles to boot..

 

And to OP? Killer idea and I really hope DE picks it up! THIS is something I'd spend plat on...or even real money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2018-07-10 at 7:32 PM, (XB1)RPColten said:

but this kind of weapon has no place in the Tenno arsenal.

Since when and by what and whose standards? Yours?

Have you even taken a REALLY good look at the entire arsenal that Warframe has to offer? We have a BFG railgun...a bio-weapon that remotely leeches health on headshots....rocket launchers...at least three light machine guns...one of which has a single barrel assembly that rotates.

I'd say that judging by your tastes, at least a third of the official inventory of weapons should be summarily tossed out.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MirageKnight said:

Since when and by what and whose standards? Yours?

Have you even taken a REALLY good look at the entire arsenal that Warframe has to offer? We have a BFG railgun...a bio-weapon that remotely leeches health on headshots....rocket launchers...at least three light machine guns...one of which has a single barrel assembly that rotates.

I'd say that judging by your tastes, at least a third of the official inventory of weapons should be summarily tossed out.

 

I don't care about damage, or mechanics or function. I'm speaking purely on size and method of wielding. Every single weapon the Tenno can wield is still wielded in a fashion that can mesh with or at least blend partially with the established character of some combatant that relies equally on mobility as they do fire-power. Within the confines of the Tenno character, they would not use underhanded weaponry similar to what the Nox or Tusk Gunners use. That posture of under-hand wielding a weapon does not blend well with the style of combat and movement that the Tenno have been established to use.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, (XB1)RPColten said:

That posture of under-hand wielding a weapon does not blend well with the style of combat and movement that the Tenno have been established to use.

And a Warframe's arm twisting and bending unnaturally to support the weight of an Opticor is just fine I take it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MirageKnight said:

And a Warframe's arm twisting and bending unnaturally to support the weight of an Opticor is just fine I take it.

No it isn't. How exactly is an animation error on the same page as a character study?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, (XB1)RPColten said:

I don't care about damage, or mechanics or function. I'm speaking purely on size and method of wielding. Every single weapon the Tenno can wield is still wielded in a fashion that can mesh with or at least blend partially with the established character of some combatant that relies equally on mobility as they do fire-power. Within the confines of the Tenno character, they would not use underhanded weaponry similar to what the Nox or Tusk Gunners use. That posture of under-hand wielding a weapon does not blend well with the style of combat and movement that the Tenno have been established to use.

Why not? This is a baseless assertion relying completely on the notion that the minigun somehow restricts movement, when there is no such necessary limitation.

Why can't a Warframe move at full speed with an underhand weapon? Why can't they sprint? What stops them from bullet jumping?

Lifting the weapon and holding it at an angle do so would look fine; Gorgon already does. Why can't a Warframe have enough super strength to one-hand it while wall-clinging?

You can present your point as a fact all you like, but that won't magically make it a fact.

True, if the minigun turned Warframes into lumbering heavies that would be a poor fit for the game's pacing.

True, there would be no balanced way for the minigun to compensate for that critical weakness with damage.

But those problems hinge entirely on a limitation that doesn't necessarily exist... And that the OP never suggested. Anyone who actually WANTS the "slow minigun wielder" feel can simply use ADS.

Huge and bulky weapons are not outside the scope of possibility; just refer to the Sentient Arm Cannon concept art.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love it! However maybe using it should disable use of a secondary weapon and when stowed on the back the barrels should telescope in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe instead of this being available for Tenno, this weapon could be something the Corpus design (as Corpus always LOOK FOR PROFITS), this weapon could be designed for some of their "unique" characters, maybe even a new Venus / Railjack boss of some sort for future content.

As Tenno tend to not use underslung weapons, closest is the Opticor but even that is still shoulder held.

I honesty though Do love the idea, just hope [DE] has some thoughts for Heavy weapondry like that eventually, some minor penalties maybe to movement speed like how the Dragon keys work.

Outside of that, this can be a reskin for the Archwing weapons if all else fails (Which is very much a possibility when they said they were looking to expand all the weapon skin lines.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites