Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Veldt Rework into a Handcannon?

(XBOX)calvina

We all know that one Tenno rifle that got released, yet is quite an unpoular choice of weapon due to the fact there are others in-game that do the job just as well, if not, better. It lacks punch despite looking as if it could be a handheld cannon, so why not actually make it one?

sean-bigham-076.jpg?1499660399

It practically has the appearence of a single-shot rifle.

I propose it gets reworking into a unique gun like the Ogris/angstrum, etc, where it fires explosive projectiles, there is 2 different outcomes I have in mind.

-------

Outcome 1:

A revolving rifle that has 6 shells per cylinder, each shell having similar properties to that of the ammo the Angstrum uses, medicore fire rate, high kick, and decent reload, it would be a fun alternative.

Outcome 2:

A single-shot cannon firing a high velocity projectile that does as much damage as the ogris, but in a smaller radius.

------

As far as I'm aware, I'm not even sure if the Tenno have thier own explosive rifle/pistol, yet the grineer and Corpus have plenty of examples like the Tonkor, Kulstar, Angstrum, Zarr, and much more.

I'll be honest, when this thing came out I was extremely excited. The style is great, I love the look and the sound and just all of the mechanics of it. I thought this was my Latron replacement, I love the Latron but it lags behind better weapons, I thought it was my dream weapon finally realized...then I used it. To say I was disappointed that yet another fun single-fire rifle falls short of useful is an understatement, I was legitimately bummed for at least a few days about it. So obviously, all of that said, I would absolutely love for this thing to get an overhaul (or even to see Latron Prime get an overhaul...I love it so much, please DE fix my gun!) buuuuut I also hate explosive style weapons and I think that would be a terrible choice for this gun. It's a long rifle, it looks like a traditional bolt action beast killer, it reminds me of Witting's Elephant Gun from Borderlands. A high powered, long range, but scopeless slayer of - well - everything. And that's what I'd like to see in a rework for it, make it a badass pseudo-sniper with no scope, make it a hipfire monster that makes our enemies tremble, make it what it should have been all along.

My proposal is stupid simple but also rather fair and effective. 

Base Damage: 120 (30 impact, 30 puncture, 60 slash)

Crit Chance: 25%

Crit Multiplier: 2.5x

Status Chance: 15%

And that's it! Sacrifice 7% status to get a .3 crit damage boost, 3% crit chance, and roughly 33% increased base damage. That right there, I believe, would make this weapon far more competitive and at least useful in enough content that people who like it could use it and not feel like they are being a drain on the group. 

2 minutes ago, Lannen said:

I'll be honest, when this thing came out I was extremely excited. The style is great, I love the look and the sound and just all of the mechanics of it. I thought this was my Latron replacement, I love the Latron but it lags behind better weapons, I thought it was my dream weapon finally realized...then I used it. To say I was disappointed that yet another fun single-fire rifle falls short of useful is an understatement, I was legitimately bummed for at least a few days about it. So obviously, all of that said, I would absolutely love for this thing to get an overhaul (or even to see Latron Prime get an overhaul...I love it so much, please DE fix my gun!) buuuuut I also hate explosive style weapons and I think that would be a terrible choice for this gun. It's a long rifle, it looks like a traditional bolt action beast killer, it reminds me of Witting's Elephant Gun from Borderlands. A high powered, long range, but scopeless slayer of - well - everything. And that's what I'd like to see in a rework for it, make it a badass pseudo-sniper with no scope, make it a hipfire monster that makes our enemies tremble, make it what it should have been all along.

My proposal is stupid simple but also rather fair and effective. 

Base Damage: 120 (30 impact, 30 puncture, 60 slash)

Crit Chance: 25%

Crit Multiplier: 2.5x

Status Chance: 15%

And that's it! Sacrifice 7% status to get a .3 crit damage boost, 3% crit chance, and roughly 33% increased base damage. That right there, I believe, would make this weapon far more competitive and at least useful in enough content that people who like it could use it and not feel like they are being a drain on the group. 

Cool suggestion, however, I would still prefer some sort of explosive characteristics, even if it's as miniscule as giving the gun a 0.5m blast radius, just the visual explosion would be more than enough to give it the feel of a weapon that actually feels like a longrifle that is not to be messed with.

(Kinda like a handheld autocannon, except it's semi-auto)

Spoiler

Everytime I look at the Veldt, not as beefy as the 25mm above, but like that in rifle form, if I'm making any sense.

Just give it a sniper scope and an aggressively building sniper combo. That's what I thought it was in the first place. Snipetron model, Vectis model, Vulkar model, and Rubico. We only have 5 different types of sniper rifle, and Lanka shares the Snipetron model anyway. We need a new one.

The Veldt is a field rifle. Despite the firing characteristics being similar to other single-shot rifles, the additional zoom and slower fire rate sets it apart. It's currently one-of-a-kind, so it'd be silly to rework its mechanics entirely.

As to the stats...it's a default Tenno weapon. Of course it's not amazing. They have to save the amazing stats for when they Prime it eventually. They learned their lesson with things like the Pandero; make a default weapon too strong, and your Primes will fizzle in comparison. So here we stand. Veldt Prime will probably come with Ivara Prime, if she doesn't come with the Daikyu Prime or a signature bow of her own.

If i was in charge of the rework i would turn it into a Marksmen / sniper hybrid

Its base fire mode would work like a latron (normal voom and all) though ide keep the slash focus

upon hitting the alt fire the weapon would convert to a sniper. It would have a scope with either a set zoom for simplicity, but have a decent crit boost. Sniper mode would boost damage, but lower fire rate.

Both modes would boost high slash damage and with the marksmen mode going for more hybrid stats and the sniper being pure crit

This would be a dream weapon for my tastes at least