Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Basilisk Lair - Last Refuge of a Scaramanga

Max_AKC

Frist thing's first.

I try my best to communicate kindly, though my rudeness often shines through from within. I like to think i'm open to feedback, please be honest if i'm worth your time.

__

Been attempting to make things off and on over the past couple years, after learning to use some of the software. I have been very slack, spent much more time playing Warframe than Zbrush. I thought i should post up a few of my attempts so far.

For Mirage i started out making just a helmet, ended up expanding to work on a skin. It's still a ways off. First few images were the first stages of making a kind of head-dress, inspired by Trinity Prime. A lot of the sculpting here has been scrapped/changed as you can see in the later images.

tumblr_pbtutrjB8b1rr3owro1_1280.jpg

tumblr_pbtutrjB8b1rr3owro2_1280.jpg

tumblr_pbtutrjB8b1rr3owro3_1280.jpg

Images of my starting work on the skin. How i changed the head-dress is also visible here. The previous sculpt was too difficult to work with.

tumblr_pbtusgoBJr1rr3owro1_1280.jpg

tumblr_pbtusgoBJr1rr3owro2_1280.jpg

tumblr_pbtusgoBJr1rr3owro3_1280.jpg

tumblr_pbtusgoBJr1rr3owro5_1280.jpg

tumblr_pbtusgoBJr1rr3owro4_1280.jpg

Here's my sculpt for Mirage, as it stands now. I was trying to make Simulor-like prongs to hover around the back of the helmet. I have scrapped that now,partly because it may not be accepted and also because the Synoid Simulor has fallen out of use with Mirage for most of the playerbase. IMO, the best weapons for Mirage now are the Lenz and Supra Vandal.

tumblr_pbtv6f95HR1rr3owro1_1280.jpg

tumblr_pbtv6f95HR1rr3owro2_1280.jpg

tumblr_pbtv6f95HR1rr3owro3_1280.jpg

Been working on a helmet for Titania for a while, which i have based on a Dragonfly. Corduliidae is an American species of green Dragonfly. I'm unsure whether to name it that, or a more random feminine name "Cordulia"

tumblr_pbtulmSgxh1rr3owro1_1280.jpg
tumblr_pbtulmSgxh1rr3owro2_1280.jpg

tumblr_pbtulmSgxh1rr3owro3_1280.jpg

tumblr_pbtulmSgxh1rr3owro4_1280.jpg

And a Mag helmet, which i am making for myself to use with the Deluxe skin

tumblr_pbtvgjwuQ51rr3owro1_1280.jpg

tumblr_pbtvgjwuQ51rr3owro2_1280.jpg

tumblr_pbtvgjwuQ51rr3owro3_1280.jpg

Edited by SpiralViper
Finally figured out how to embed images into the forum thread
  • Like 1

Polypainting the bits that would hover from the helmet, and i have encountered trouble with symmetry. It's frustrating when this happens in Zbrush. This can often be fixed by playing with "Offset", under the Deformation submenu, but not when it's out of kilter vertically as well. ReSym and Smart ReSym gave me nothing. So this is my lesson, to do the polypainting before i duplicate the subtool.

tumblr_pbzqc8qz9Z1rr3owro2_1280.jpg

tumblr_pbzqc8qz9Z1rr3owro1_1280.jpg

tumblr_pbzqc8qz9Z1rr3owro3_1280.jpg

• Like 1

Very nice stuff dude) 
but i wanted to write a feedback almost on the first day as you laid out your work
I really like the Mirage body-skin, but you know.... basic helmet shape is too similar to one of her in-game alternative helmet, you need to know what I'm talking about)
Yes, the back side of helmet is original but that heart-shaped face, lines that go from the inside of the eyes.... Harlequin helmet got this already. Its really need to rethinking)
Titania Helmet is very intresting, but a little ... "messy" - I can say that I feel some kind of visual overload
Mag Helmet - cute, i wanna see it on my Mag :3

Thank you SP.Gabriel !

CandyBonesCupcake, thanks for your feedback! People have said this to me before as well. I was aware of this while sculpting the design and that it could be a problem. I'm hoping to mod the Harlequin helmet in my own direction to express myself as a person, or rather part of my life and how i feel. I love the quest for Mirage. This idea i have won't be noticeable until the texturing stage, but i do have my doubts this piece would be accepted.

I definitely see what you mean with the helmet for Titania in that it has too much going on. So much that it might not fit with Titania also, we'll see but i will most likely have to make some changes.

I'm really happy you like the helmet for Mag!

__

Finished polypainting on the Titania helmet, although this may be for nil if i have to work it, then again maybe not as i have to finish what i'm doing and submit in order to know or be told what kind of changes need to be made.

Spoiler

tumblr_pc9lf1B8qD1rr3owro1_1280.jpg

Spoiler

tumblr_pc9lf1B8qD1rr3owro2_1280.jpg

Spoiler

tumblr_pc9lf1B8qD1rr3owro3_1280.jpg

Spoiler

tumblr_pc9lf1B8qD1rr3owro4_640.jpg

Spoiler

tumblr_pc9lf1B8qD1rr3owro5_640.jpg

Spoiler

tumblr_pc9lf1B8qD1rr3owro6_1280.jpg

Also started and finished retopology for the helmet. Haha, i must sound like a noob!

Spoiler

tumblr_pc9loorTeM1rr3owro1_1280.jpg

Spoiler

tumblr_pc9loorTeM1rr3owro2_1280.jpg

Spoiler

tumblr_pc9loorTeM1rr3owro3_1280.jpg

Spoiler

tumblr_pc9loorTeM1rr3owro4_1280.jpg

No updates for Mag or Mirage yet, hopefully i'll get to doing some work on one of those tomorrow!

Edited by SpiralViper
  • Like 1

Someone posted a thread here requesting a skin for Wukong similar to this image. I didn't draw this. If you're the artist please chime in. I hope you're ok with me making a skin based loosely on your work.

tumblr_pcp0adOOzF1rr3owro1_1280.png

I was without an internet connection for 5 days, and decided to use my time by working on something new. this is the result so far:

Spoiler

tumblr_pcozv9aJ0g1rr3owro1_1280.jpg

Spoiler

tumblr_pcozv9aJ0g1rr3owro3_1280.jpg

Spoiler

tumblr_pcozv9aJ0g1rr3owro2_1280.jpg

Spoiler

tumblr_pcozv9aJ0g1rr3owro4_1280.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

thanks man!

I started working on a helmet for Volt about a month ago.

Spoiler

tumblr_pe1jdvVHKe1rr3owro2_1280.jpg

Spoiler

tumblr_pe1jdvVHKe1rr3owro3_1280.jpg

Spoiler

tumblr_pe1jdvVHKe1rr3owro4_1280.jpg

Spoiler

tumblr_pe1jdvVHKe1rr3owro5_1280.jpg

Spoiler

tumblr_pe1jdvVHKe1rr3owro6_1280.jpg

Also done the retopology for this helmet

Spoiler

tumblr_pe1jgpAyGi1rr3owro1_1280.jpg

Spoiler

tumblr_pe1jgpAyGi1rr3owro2_1280.jpg

Spoiler

tumblr_pe1jgpAyGi1rr3owro4_1280.jpg

Spoiler

tumblr_pe1jgpAyGi1rr3owro5_1280.jpg

Edited by SpiralViper
I used Quotes instead of Spoilers lol

And progress on the helmet i'm making for Titania

Spoiler

tumblr_pe1jywp4zd1rr3owro3_1280.jpg

Spoiler

tumblr_pe1jywp4zd1rr3owro2_1280.jpg

Spoiler

tumblr_pe1jywp4zd1rr3owro1_1280.jpg

The retopology i did was too dense, so i had to do it again. Had to anyway because of a mesh hole i created which resulted in artifacts when i brought it into Unfold3D for UV unwrapping. But i had to redo the polypaint as well as i unchecked the "Colorize" button when fixing the hole. Some detail might have been lost in the dynamesh process. Hopefully it'll bake out fine though

Spoiler

tumblr_pe1lo1W42u1rr3owro1_500.jpg

Fixed.

Spoiler

tumblr_pe1lo1W42u1rr3owro2_1280.jpg

Spoiler

tumblr_pe1lryaLcT1rr3owro1_1280.jpg

Spoiler

tumblr_pe1lryaLcT1rr3owro2_1280.jpg

Spoiler

tumblr_pe1lryaLcT1rr3owro3_1280.jpg

Spoiler

tumblr_pe1lo1W42u1rr3owro6_1280.jpg

Polypaint

Spoiler

tumblr_pe1m3vOFCt1rr3owro1_640.jpg

Spoiler

tumblr_pe1m3vOFCt1rr3owro2_1280.jpg

Spoiler

tumblr_pe1m3vOFCt1rr3owro3_640.jpg

Spoiler

tumblr_pe1m3vOFCt1rr3owro4_1280.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Small update. I encountered an artifact while nearing completion of this helmet. So i'll have to add more geometry to the high poly in Zbrush and go through the entire pipeline again. Retopology will probably take the longest time, and working in Substance Painter which i still have a lot of learn about

Spoiler

tumblr_pfc71geaAM1rr3owro1_1280.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Spent the past few weeks learning Substance Painter and have the basics of the menu down (roughly). Next is learning how to do Tennogen work specifically within the program. This might look finished but it's all wrong technically, i don't know what i'm doing. Have handed it to another artist who's making a tutorial on texturing for me, and will likely be useful for others. I'll post a link when i get it. We'll collaborate on this project and the Volt helmet i was working on

tumblr_pg0d3qh0E71rr3owro1_640.jpg

This was my first or second project. I gave up on it when i found it to be too difficult and felt i should start with a simpler warframe, and so i went off working on helmets and some of those became body sculpts also. Nothing's finished of course, but hoping to strive toward that goal.

Chroma, I started with a somewhat techy or "stronghold/fortress" influenced idea. Wouldn't work though as i can't change that much on the original body.

tumblr_pg0iprLJzj1rr3owro4_1280.jpg

I realise i've waited too long (spent too much time playing videogames), now that Chroma Prime is released there isn't so much of a need for a skin for him. I'd still like to finish it though. I was actually going for a Chinese Foo Lion influence mixed with Chroma being much about armour.

Spoiler

tumblr_pg0indxVgU1rr3owro1_1280.jpg

Spoiler

tumblr_pg0indxVgU1rr3owro3_1280.jpg

Spoiler

tumblr_pg0indxVgU1rr3owro2_1280.jpg

• Like 1

That's kinda mean to say i'll never have a project accepted. You have a good point in that i have too many projects running. There's a lot more than what i posted here, too. I have 10 or more projects running at the same time. Which is good, because it helps to keep me fresh. That way i don't get bogged down with fatigue on one project. Sometimes i have spearheaded with some projects (namely alt helmets) in order to learn the entire pipeline and reach the learning curve for software used in later stages, like Substance Painter. Still learning that, and i am a long way from having work accepted. Even the best tennogen artists have sometimes had to redo their work entirely for it to be accepted. So, having anything accepted into the game is a very difficult thing to achieve, especially for a noob like myself. Achieving that is a matter of keeping working towards the goal. But it is defeating to have to entirely redo a project if the design isn't acceptable to DE. In that case i would most likely start a new project instead (or keep working on another one, since i have so many). Many of these projects are held back by the fact i don't know how to make a scrolling emissive texture, which is necessary for the Mag helmet and Mirage skin for example

Edited by SpiralViper

• 3 weeks later...

Retopology for the Mirage helmet. It got messed up and i'll have to do it again. Currently working on polypainting the skin for Mirage. Can't post progress shots but will post the final render, i have yet to learn Marmoset Toolbag though

Spoiler

tumblr_ph6du4OzSM1rr3owro5_1280.jpg

Spoiler

tumblr_ph6du4OzSM1rr3owro1_1280.jpg

Spoiler

tumblr_ph6du4OzSM1rr3owro2_1280.jpg

This process got messed up, i sometimes think my work is being tampered with by people as revenge for my bad social behaviour. Then again, perhaps nobody is doing this and it could just be my paranoid schizophrenia.. Well, i'll have to do the retopology again nevertheless

Spoiler

tumblr_ph6du4OzSM1rr3owro3_1280.jpg

Edited by SpiralViper

On 2018-10-08 at 3:34 AM, SpiralViper said:

That's kinda mean to say i'll never have a project accepted. You have a good point in that i have too many projects running. There's a lot more than what i posted here, too. I have 10 or more projects running at the same time. Which is good, because it helps to keep me fresh. That way i don't get bogged down with fatigue on one project. Sometimes i have spearheaded with some projects (namely alt helmets) in order to learn the entire pipeline and reach the learning curve for software used in later stages, like Substance Painter. Still learning that, and i am a long way from having work accepted. Even the best tennogen artists have sometimes had to redo their work entirely for it to be accepted. So, having anything accepted into the game is a very difficult thing to achieve, especially for a noob like myself. Achieving that is a matter of keeping working towards the goal. But it is defeating to have to entirely redo a project if the design isn't acceptable to DE. In that case i would most likely start a new project instead (or keep working on another one, since i have so many). Many of these projects are held back by the fact i don't know how to make a scrolling emissive texture, which is necessary for the Mag helmet and Mirage skin for example

You just keep doing you because that's what keeps you going and makes you stay creative. It's best to visualise the ideas that pop in your head than store them in a head shelf and forgot about them entirely later on.

• 3 weeks later...

Updates, working on a helmet for Nidus and symmetry wouldn't work in Topogun so i had to retopologize the entire thing by hand. And as it turns out, after unwrapping the UVs, mirroring the cut model, the middle verts won't merge.

Spoiler

tumblr_pih3xjb84E1rr3owro1_1280.jpg

Spoiler

tumblr_pih3xjb84E1rr3owro3_1280.jpg

I tried taking it back into Topogun and changing the topology as i thought the triangles on the bottom were causing the verts to not merge, but fixing it with quads just made it worse.. So now even verts on the back of the helmet refuse to merge. I give up

Spoiler

tumblr_pih3xjb84E1rr3owro2_1280.jpg

/scrapped

So i'll continue starting new projects and trying to complete ones i've started. Running detail passes today

Mag:

Spoiler

tumblr_pih3natsQz1rr3owro1_1280.jpg

Wukong:

Spoiler

tumblr_pih3natsQz1rr3owro2_1280.jpg

• 3 weeks later...