Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

No Crossplay/Cross-save for Switch

PorkedPork

So now that it is confirmed that players who play Warframe on Switch will be isolated from the other consoles without any hope of crossplay or account syncing, do you think the announcement that Warframe is coming on the Switch is now significantly less impressive?

Nintendo made the leap for making their next major console have a portable form for good reason. Portable Warframe has an appeal to it, given the rise of portable (yet, typically awful) games on systems like Android and IOS putting something like Warframe on the Nintendo Switch can easily carry itself for the feature of portability alone.

Edited by Beartornado

I would say it's also a good thing for the Switch, you know you're playing with people that have the same limited control options. Matchmaking with someone on a PC and trying to keep up would be a nightmare.

Just to be neat and tidy... From where and whom did this confirmation come from? (I like hard tangible evidence just for detail sake particularly about PC to Switch transfers)

That being said, was this unexpected? None of the other platforms are participating in this, why would Nintendo want to? I mean there are physical limitations from the get go (update schedule), that made it unlikely for cross play to PC. Sony's recent stance should speak for itself. Microsoft would be the only possibility. And with that there is a business perspective that discourages it. Free to Play games work differently for monetization and if you can bypass a network (part of Sony's internal explanation for being against it) then you are allowing people to buy stuff off the say, as an example, Xbox (paying Microsoft) while seeing none of the cuts. In such cases you can't guarantee that support will trickle in as simply as if you had to buy the game to play it; for the access to the network in the first place.

I own a Nintendo Switch and love it.  I also have 400+ hours of Warframe on PC.  IF someone confirmed that there will be no Crossplay between the two peripherals, than it looks like I won't be playing Warframe on Switch.  This game is WAY too much grind.  I'd rather rub my face against a belt sander before doing that grind all over again.  

Edit:  I may test it out to see the performance of Warframe on Switch.  Depending how delayed the updates are compared to PC and how the game performs, I'd have to think long and hard about copying my Account over.  Might feel good not having to sit at my PC to play it.  

Edited by AlMcFly

As said times and times again, the problem of cross play is only due to how DE planifies updates. 

Pc players receives rapid fire and small hotfixes to bugs and balance, letting the experience even and become more fluid over time. Consoles, due to the need for every update to be certified by the producers, receive more massive updates condensing all hotfixes and balance passes into one chunk with a fluid experience. 

Because of this limitation cross play cannot happen since pc is always ahead in content, though it could happen between consoles it is possible Nintendo and Xbox will get to it, Sony though will probably keep their space isolated. 

I'm not surprised at all.

I was mostly just annoyed at the new tidal wave of cross play threads being made, every single day, with people actually thinking it's going to happen now when it never did before. DE had every opportunity to make it happen with Xbox or PS4 for years now, and they didn't. Because they concluded the sacrifices they'd have to make in how they do things weren't worth it.

Iirc they tried to facilitate build parity for a while, years ago when PS4 and Xbone were fresh, but it wasn't working for them.

6 minutes ago, Lanadra said:

I'm not surprised at all.

I was mostly just annoyed at the new tidal wave of cross play threads being made, every single day, with people actually thinking it's going to happen now when it never did before. DE had every opportunity to make it happen with Xbox or PS4 for years now, and they didn't. Because they concluded the sacrifices they'd have to make in how they do things weren't worth it.

Iirc they tried to facilitate build parity for a while, years ago when PS4 and Xbone were fresh, but it wasn't working for them.

Issue is DE need permission from PS4 and Xbox to be able to connect to each other and would need to work on every update in sync. With the amount of hotfix's and reverts to changes on PC it would be a nightmare to manage 3/4 platforms at once with the same method. I say blame the OS differences kek.

When Warframe is 'finished' cross-play might have become the norm and keeping accounts sync'd would be much easier so they may take that route. 

2 minutes ago, More-L said:

Issue is DE need permission from PS4 and Xbox to be able to connect to each other and would need to work on every update in sync. With the amount of hotfix's and reverts to changes on PC it would be a nightmare to manage 3/4 platforms at once with the same method. I say blame the OS differences kek.

When Warframe is 'finished' cross-play might have become the norm and keeping accounts sync'd would be much easier so they may take that route. 

Warframe is finished when it shuts down. Updates are the life blood of this game, DE has said so themselves. They're not working towards some kind of far away ''finished'' state like a retail game or a Destiny or Call of Duty that inevitably sees their development halted. It's a perpetually developed game akin to an MMO.

There is ultimately many factors that make cross play a very damn near impossible feat for Warframe. DE's proven unwillingness to sacrifice their way of delivering updates to us, namely, when they consider it ready, this includes the ability to hotfix, which you simply cannot do if you want build parity.

Cert processes for consoles are another obvious issue, one that largely causes the point I just addressed regarding updates. This is also not likely to change as platform holders don't even want to tempt the risk of having a game update brick their consoles.

Then off course we arrive at competition. Sony is so adamantly against cross play largely because they're on top and they don't want to do anything to help their competition. Microsoft had the same stance when they were on top with Xbox 360, they too were against cross play back then, because there was no tangible benefit in it for them, just as there isn't for Sony now.

Other games do have it, like Rocket League or Fortnite, but that is not relevant to Warframe. It's not a matter of ''they have it, so Warframe should also''. These games have different developers who have made different choices in how they run and update their game. Thus making the subject of cross play a very different one for those games.

3 minutes ago, Lanadra said:

--snip--

Are you trying to argue with me or just stating more points? If you're not arguing then ignore the first paragraph.

If you are trying to 'argue' for some reason, then I know pretty much every reason why it wouldn't work already, I was just responding your message which didn't really indicate you knew the reasons why cross-platform isn't/won't be a thing, you just stated they weren't happy with the sacrifices they would have to make. I (very briefly) summarized the 2 main issues for cross-play which are PS4/Xbox and updates.

My statement of when Warframe is 'finished' was mainly covering the point that most large general 'code' has been created (i.e code for open world area's, multi map areas, reworks finished etc.) because that would mean new things would be much easier to convert for each platform as the base is already there, only remaining issue would be cert after that point. Best example is compare plains to upcoming 'fortuna' and 'railjack' which is supposedly many times larger than plains.

Obviously idk if that would be the case which is why I said 'may become cross-play.'

1 minute ago, More-L said:

Are you trying to argue with me or just stating more points? If you're not arguing then ignore the first paragraph.

If you are trying to 'argue' for some reason, then I know pretty much every reason why it wouldn't work already, I was just responding your message which didn't really indicate you knew the reasons why cross-platform isn't/won't be a thing, you just stated they weren't happy with the sacrifices they would have to make. I (very briefly) summarized the 2 main issues for cross-play which are PS4/Xbox and updates.

My statement of when Warframe is 'finished' was mainly covering the point that most large general 'code' has been created (i.e code for open world area's, multi map areas, reworks finished etc.) because that would mean new things would be much easier to convert for each platform as the base is already there, only remaining issue would be cert after that point. Best example is compare plains to upcoming 'fortuna' and 'railjack' which is supposedly many times larger than plains.

Obviously idk if that would be the case which is why I said 'may become cross-play.'

Mostly stating more points I suppose, and I was somewhat confused as to what you meant with 'finished', which you've now clarified, as most people tend to say that about a game like Warframe with the slightly ignorant view of how it works for games like Call of Duty or Destiny.

I honestly don't care about crossplay. What I'm more interested in is the ability to copy my save over because the grind is too real to restart warframe from scratch. Also now that I think about it and after reading some posts on the subject, I'd say that I also wouldn't bother on switch if there wasn't some kind of offline single player mode. The thing I enjoy most about the switch is taking it and playing it anywhere, wifi be damned and without those two things I'd see no real point in playing warframe on the weakest system possible. 

Edited by Flowen231

Not particularly.

Admittedly, I'm still kinda floored that they managed to get it running on a Switch, period.  I always forget just how much you can squeeze out of it when one knows what they're doing.

Besides, I've been meaning to make a new account to see what the New Player Experience is like nowadays for a while now, but I just haven't gotten around to it.

What I'm more concerned about than cross-play is account syncing. I wouldn't want to copy my account to the Switch and either A) lose progress from where I am on PC or B) the content done on both platforms gets out of sync with one another. As much as I would love the portability of having Warframe on the Switch to play wherever I go with an Internet connection, I just would be irked by the fact that on the Switch I have so and so thing, but it's not on my PC account or vice versa. It's a good part of the reason why I never took advantage of the PlayStation and XBox migrations. Account syncing is just as much of an issue because of how updates are pushed on each platform as it is with Cross Play.

See no reason not to have cross-play between all platforms. Think it will happen when Warframe moves into the next gen of consoles. Sony are the only ones that are really picky about it.

Cross-account as in one account for all platforms is something that will never happen. 

If Warframe did that off the bat then it wouldn't be a problem. It did not, so DE has to think of the customers that might have two accounts with one being their main account.

Expect crossplay in the future. Cross accounts (one account for all platforms) will never happen now.  

5 hours ago, PorkedPork said:

So now that it is confirmed that players who play Warframe on Switch will be isolated from the other consoles without any hope of crossplay or account syncing, do you think the announcement that Warframe is coming on the Switch is now significantly less impressive?

I haven't seen the announcement but, if true, it doesn't change my view that Warframe on Switch is a positive. It looks set to expand the player base by reaching people who do not focus on 'fixed' platforms like PCs and Xbox Ones; to generate incremental income for DE; and consequently benefit all of us irrespective of the platform we're on by DE being more successful. The information/analysis about Switch buyers that has come out suggests that DE probably won't be expecting huge numbers of existing PC/PS4/Xbox Warframe players to buy a Switch version as well (although I may since starting fresh is actually appealing). Switch players appear to be more the type of person (man aged 18+ in nine-out-of-ten cases, it turns out, in the US) who is more focused on mobile ('phone) gaming than on PC and fixed consoles. If the adult male demographic exists outside the US as well, it would seem to negate the arguments some people are putting forward that Switch is 'just for kids' and 'too family friendly for Warframe gore'.

Just now, Am0rph15 said:

I haven't seen the announcement but, if true, it doesn't change my view that Warframe on Switch is a positive.

Appareantly (I cant confirm this) but in the skill up video interview they said the first 1-2 months they will allow you to bring your PC progress over to the switch similar to how Xbox/PS4 migrations worked. After that time period there wont be any allowance.

Very sad if its true as theres just so much potential in utilising the switches mobility. Guess i'll see how bad the grind is for a new player..

Il y a 6 heures, PorkedPork a dit :

Where was it confirmed? I saw Nothing on official twitter account... Even if I have almost all frames and a lot of maxed mods, I am still planning to make the switch version even if I have to start over (this is a grind game, with or without all my stuff, I will still do the same things, over and over)