The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Volt Truly Is Useless Against Infested.

Lucilius

Question

The Volt truly is useless against Infested. 

If your lvl 30 Excal is having trouble with spamming fully upgraded Slash Dash against Infested mobs, don't even think that the Volt would do as advertised against them.

"High damage"...as if.

Or Am I Doing Something Wrong? 

Well, am I? What do you guys think?

Volt lvl is 25.

Perhaps I should spell this out.

Volt is a high damage frame ... to Corpus ... the faction that has a weakness to electrical attacks.

The same as Ember being a high damage frame to infested because they have a weakness to fire (and serrated weaponry).

The point is, if you want your volt to do reasonable damage to Infested or Grineer then equip some armor-piercing or incendiary  weapons and mods to your arsenal.

I have a Volt, I also have a high-crit, armor piercing Latron and a Hikou with a high speed and range Orthos and, I do indeed, do damage to Grinner and Infested.

So if you want your frame to be competent at things it wasn't designed to be, balance it with weapons.

Edited by Phantom_Jack

Volt is epic, my favorite frame by far. Though the only good abilities against infested are shield and speed. The shield will put armor ignor on bullets that pass through it as well as another 50% electric damage (I know its infested but it is still something). You just have to know the right spots to use him. The speed is great if you get overwhelmed by runners and whatnot to get to an area where you can deploy your shield and then completely destory everything in your path.

Volt is a high damage frame ... to Corpus ... the faction that has a weakness to electrical attacks.

The same as Ember being a high damage frame to infested because they have a weakness to fire (and serrated weaponry).

The point is, if you want your volt to do reasonable damage to Infested or Grineer then equip some armor-piercing or incendiary  weapons and mods to your arsenal.

I have a Volt, I also have a high-crit, armor piercing Latron and a Hikou with a high speed and range Orthos and, I do indeed, do damage to Grinner and Infested.

So if you want your frame to be competent at things it wasn't designed to be, balance it with weapons.

But which ones? Which leads me to my other thread: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/98235-how-to-effectively-kill-ancients/#entry1111588

Yes, you are right. Volt is good against Corpus. But I did get my Volt-butt kicked by Corpus in a lvl 30-32 Corpus Defense Mission. Could not get a team due to ping beyond 300.

How about putting Focus on your Volt to increase his strength. I've never had an issue killing Infested with Volt thanks to his stunning ability (due to the electricity, which yes, does work).
Volt doesn't have an issue with Grineer folks. They take 100% damage from electric, where Infested take something like 20%, and corpus 200%. Volt is a very feasable frame, and speed helps a lot against Infested, as you can easily just go, BYE BYE, get to a good spot and shoot the crap out of them.

If you're dying to fight Infested, use Ember. Grineer, Frost. and Corpus, Volt.

Volt is epic, my favorite frame by far. Though the only good abilities against infested are shield and speed. The shield will put armor ignor on bullets that pass through it as well as another 50% electric damage (I know its infested but it is still something). You just have to know the right spots to use him. The speed is great if you get overwhelmed by runners and whatnot to get to an area where you can deploy your shield and then completely destory everything in your path.

THAT'S WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT! WooT! Can't wait to try Volt's shield ability then! THANK YOU!

As for speed, yes it is much better for me than Excal's so-called "Super Jump". However, Volt's speed is useless in an Infested Rescue Mission wherein the prisoner must be protected at all times. Had to switch to my lvl30 Excal so that I could spam Slash Dash against Infested mobs. Got so close to the extraction point until a Toxic Ancient literally blocked our path with chargers and runners chasing us from behind. Ran out of energy to Slash Dash. Sentinel cloaked me while I watched prisoner fall. Able to revive him only he can't get away from being lynched. Tried in vain to get Infested Mob's attention to me by shooting them full-auto with primary, only to have a mini-mob form around me.

They ate us up, Frame and all.

lol no. Compared to Volt, Ember is very effective vs Corpus and Grineer.

Well, Volt is probably as effective against Corpus and Grineer as Ember is. Last I checked, I was able to use Overload in a Grineer Defense Mission. Failed at the last wave because a Grineer Napalm Launcher dude got through, and Overload are not as effective against higher tier enemies.

He's not advertised as a high damage frame 'to corpus'. He is advertised as a high damage frame with a potent alternative to gunplay. 

Except his 1 ability is too weak. His 2 and 3 ability can only be used offensively, with guns. His 4 ability is the only one that fits the description. 

In fact his 2 and 3 ability are mostly defensive abilities. It's kind of backward to how he's advertised.  

He's not advertised as a high damage frame 'to corpus'. He is advertised as a high damage frame with a potent alternative to gunplay. 

Except his 1 ability is too weak. His 2 and 3 ability can only be used offensively, with guns. His 4 ability is the only one that fits the description. 

In fact his 2 and 3 ability are mostly defensive abilities. It's kind of backward to how he's advertised.  

True.

I find myself doing a lot of gunplay with the Volt. Volt ability 1 (fully upgraded) can't kill any Corpus in the Corpus Defense Mission lvl30-32 I've played.

Plus it has no guarantee of chaining, even though you aim for a mob. If there is a mob of 10, literally stumbling on each other, and it only zaps through 3-4...does not compute because I have zapped an enemy that is hiding behind cover, with its allies some distance away also hiding behind cover, and the lightning I shoot chains through all of them.

Perhaps higher level enemies have better grounded circuitry or something? hehe...

I do however, love Volt's ability 4. Overload is cool. Especially fully upgraded. It is only useless against higher-tier enemies.

UPDATE: Re-researched Volt in Wiki. I apologize as Volt's Shock can chain up to only 5.

Edited by Lucilius

How about putting Focus on your Volt to increase his strength. I've never had an issue killing Infested with Volt thanks to his stunning ability (due to the electricity, which yes, does work).

Volt doesn't have an issue with Grineer folks. They take 100% damage from electric, where Infested take something like 20%, and corpus 200%. Volt is a very feasable frame, and speed helps a lot against Infested, as you can easily just go, BYE BYE, get to a good spot and shoot the crap out of them.

I do have Focus. But not upgraded.

How upgraded is yours?

I don't think it is fair to just see direct damage. If so, what about Loki... (lol)

Anyway I find Volt to be unique in several areas which makes it stands out (and it is still one of my "primary" use frames)..

(Some area already mentioned above)

1. Electric shield. Not only great for defense, but also great for offence. Try it with something like Supra against range bosses (like Hyena)

2. There is no rush run like a "Volt run". can't handle mobs well? just outrun them...

3. VoltVor makes great Tenno-Grineer hybrid tech automobiles that is both flashy and fast...

(wait... ignore this one)

Medium Grineer take 125% damage from electricity (other Grineer take 100%). Infested take 100%. These percentages were all changed back in Hotfix 8.3, to make it more fair for frames like Volt and Ember.

UPDATE: ELECTRIC SHIELD IS NIIIICE.

I just went to 2 Void Tower Raids lvl 1 and Volt's Electric Shield served me well. Thanks for the info that friendly bullets that go through the shield is upped with added damages.

However, still difficult to use Volt's speed when you have to babysit a rescued person just to make sure s/he don't die on the way to extraction.

Edited by Lucilius

Electric Shield is Volt's best asset for offense and defense. This shield can be deployed more than once, creating multiple battle stations for your teammates. On Xini, one Tenno with a Flux Rifle was able to burn through the waves of enemies with three Electric Shields in different directions. 

If other teammate joins in behind the Electric Shield bunker, they will manage the waves even easier!

The Electric Shield is amazing for that hidden effects on the bullets and lasers of Supra and Flux Rifle!

I do have Focus. But not upgraded.

How upgraded is yours?

Mine is almost maxed. Does LOADS of damage in one go!

Medium Grineer take 125% damage from electricity (other Grineer take 100%). Infested take 100%. These percentages were all changed back in Hotfix 8.3, to make it more fair for frames like Volt and Ember.

Ah ok, wasn't sure of the full percentages. I knew Infested never used to take Electrical damage, but I thought they only took a small %. That means Volt is perfectly feasable against any race, so I don't know why everyone is complaining.

The Volt truly is useless against Infested. 

If your lvl 30 Excal is having trouble with spamming fully upgraded Slash Dash against Infested mobs, don't even think that the Volt would do as advertised against them.

"High damage"...as if.

Or Am I Doing Something Wrong? 

Well, am I? What do you guys think?

Volt lvl is 25.

Volt's skills do not shine very well against infested, but Speed does grant attack speed and thus makes your melee weapons better against them so that's something!

Ah ok, wasn't sure of the full percentages. I knew Infested never used to take Electrical damage, but I thought they only took a small %. That means Volt is perfectly feasable against any race, so I don't know why everyone is complaining.

If it wasn't for armor that would be true.

Volt used to be my favorite frame but he has since been replaced. Not just because of weak offense, but speed buffing the entire team largely turns me off from using Volt too. He used to be great because I could use speed to loot a bunch of the lockers and item chests while still keeping up with the rushers. Now it just makes them run faster too so I don't gain any ground.