Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

75% discount should be baseline

CalmClouds

I love this game. I've been playing it for a few years now and I've probably spent over 400€ on it during this period. I should also mention that i really don't like grinding for warframes and weapons. I also understand that the use of discounts can encourage some players to spend money on the game that they otherwise might not have spent, and I am no exception to this under any circumstances. I almost always buy platinum when a 75% discount pops up on my screen because I think the value is worth the money spent.

That being said, I almost never buy platinum when I don't have a 75% discount coupon, because why the hell would I? The reason why i choose to spend money on an otherwise free to play game is because I feel like I need to support it since it has offered me so many hours of escapism and entertainment, but the trigger is that I sometimes get a little bored, or I get too used to my current warframes and weapons and I need a change in order to spark my interest anew. So far so good... except when I do get bored, and I do feel like spending platinum, but I just can't seem to get a grasp on that elusive discount coupon. As it so happens, I'm facing such a predicament at the moment. Such serious first world problems, right?

I've come across other forum topics saying "please let me give you my money DE", and I suppose I'm making a similar statement here. I mean, 179.99€ is by no stretch of the imagination a "micro" transaction. Maybe I'm too old school. Maybe I'm too stuck in the old days when you would pay 40 to 60 € for an entire game that was worth months of entertainment. Perhaps that is why I think it is absolutely absurd that a game would ask for so much money, yet here I am, having spent at least 5 times that amount already, and still planning on spending even more in the future. All I'm asking is that I get some real value when I'm spending money, and that's why I am of the opinion that the baseline price should be that of a 75% discount coupon.

I mean, there are so many things in this game, that even though I've already spent hundreds of euros on platinum, and almost exclusively when I have the discount. However, I still am nowhere near  having everything that the game has to offer, and I know there will be way more to come anyway. It's almost as if there is no end to how much money one can spend on this game. As it stands now, the value that you get for your money without any discounts is absolutely awful. I can't imagine that DE requires players to spend more than a few hundreds of € to sustain their studio. There's no way that this could be the case.

Bottom line, you still would need to spend hundreds of dollars to unlock all the cool things if one were so inclined to do so by paying real money, so why don't you put those exorbitant prices aside and just let us spend money on your game when we feel it's right, instead of whenever the spirits of the rng decide it is right.

Edited by CalmClouds

Count yourself lucky... console doesn't EVER get 75% off plat.  The only single time we ever get plat discounts is when Sony/MS dictate - and usually the highest % off you'll ever see is 40% - and oh yeah did I forget to mention, that's literally ONCE a year, sometimes longer.   

I'm actually shocked to sit here and see somebody who's saved so much over time, in comparison to us - still moaning about the price.  How much of a cheapskate can one really be?  400 pounds is laughable compared to the nearly $2000 I've sank.  

Edited by (PS4)lagrue

But why would they? This would probably increase the number of plat sales by a little bit, but due to the many people who would have bought it even at current normal price, this would also massively hurt them in terms of money income. Your proposition is basically guaranteed to lose them money with no benefit, while the current system on the other hand works fine. 

3 minutes ago, (PS4)lagrue said:

Count yourself lucky... console doesn't EVER get 75% off plat.  The only single time we ever get plat discounts is when Sony/MS dictate - and usually the highest % off you'll ever see is 40% - and oh yeah did I forget to mention, that's literally ONCE a year, sometimes longer.   

I'm actually shocked to sit here and see somebody who's saved so much over time, in comparison to us - still moaning about the price.  How much of a cheapskate can one really be?  400 pounds is laughable compared to the nearly $2000 I've sank.  

Are you proud now that you spent 2k and boasted about i?

9 minutes ago, Aleksi134 said:

Are you proud now that you spent 2k and boasted about i?

I wasn't boasting - I was making the point OP Shouldn't be moaning about prices when 2/3 of the playerbase don't even have the opportunity to save money that he has.  Nice way to spin it out of context though, well done.   Comparatively I spent x3 more and got (probably) the exact same.  

Boasting is something you do when you're proud and happy about something - I'm neither proud nor happy with the amount I've spent (in comparisson).  If I could have 75% discounts you wouldn't see me sitting here crying.  I'd be laughing.  I would have saved $1500 over the years.    

Edited by (PS4)lagrue

7 minutes ago, (PS4)lagrue said:

Offering feedback has nothing to do with how much money you have spend. And just because you have the massive amount of money to spend on this game, does not mean everybody can afford it. I don't agree with OP either, but you should not attack someone based on the amount of money they did or did not spend. 

Also, do you realise that his proposition would make your life on consoles better too? 

Edited by bluepheonix13

Just now, bluepheonix13 said:

Offering feedback has nothing to do with how much money you have spend. And just because you have the massive amount of money to spend on this game, does not mean everybody can afford it. I don't agree with OP either, but you should not attack someone based on the amount of money they did or did not spend. 

I'm not attacking him for that - see my comment above.  I'm attacking him for complaining about pricing when I've had to spend x3 more just to get the same as what he would have got for his 400 pounds.  The fact he's crying when he even gets a 75% discount in the first place is a complete and utter joke.  

17 minutes ago, (PS4)lagrue said:

I'm not attacking him for that - see my comment above.  I'm attacking him for complaining about pricing when I've had to spend x3 more just to get the same as what he would have got for his 400 pounds.  The fact he's crying when he even gets a 75% discount in the first place is a complete and utter joke.  

So what you are saying is, we should not offer criticism if there is somebody out there, who is worse off than we are. If that is the case, why bother giving feedback at all? There will always be someone who has it worse, is only that single person who is in the least favorable position allowed to complain? 

And by the way, did you read what OP suggested? He is trying to abolish the very same 75% discount we are talking about, which would be profitable for PC and console players alike. 

Edited by bluepheonix13

55 minutes ago, CalmClouds said:

That being said, I almost never buy platinum when I don't have a 75% discount coupon, because why the hell would I? The reason why i choose to spend money on an otherwise free to play game is because I feel like I need to support it since it has offered me so many hours of escapism and entertainment, but the trigger is that I sometimes get a little bored, or I get too used to my current warframes and weapons and I need a change in order to spark my interest anew. So far so good... except when I do get bored, and I do feel like spending platinum, but I just can't seem to get a grasp on that elusive discount coupon. As it so happens, I'm facing such a predicament at the momen

So when the 75% off becomes the base line, youll make another topic again? Cause the same problem would then occur right?

When does it stop? When you get everything for free? 4.3k plat for free instead of 179.99 euro?

What you suggest is a never ending slope where you basicly want everything to be free, or cheaper then wats considerd the base price now, even if you "would" claim it would'nt.

41 minutes ago, bluepheonix13 said:

why bother giving feedback at all?

Good point.  This feedback was silly and totally not needed, why give it at all.  It was unrealistic to ask, and failed to account for the advantage OP already has.  We all would have been better off saving brain cells reading this trash.   His feedback isn't negated by the fact that advantage exists - but by the fact he doesn't recognize it.  Anybody getting 75% should be happy.  If they're still complaining, then I don't know what to say other than: entitled.  

Edited by (PS4)lagrue

30 minutes ago, (PS4)lagrue said:

Good point.  This feedback was silly and totally not needed, why give it at all.  It was unrealistic to ask, and failed to account for the advantage OP already has.  We all would have been better off saving brain cells reading this trash.   His feedback isn't negated by the fact that advantage exists - but by the fact he doesn't recognize it.  Anybody getting 75% should be happy.  If they're still complaining, then I don't know what to say other than: entitled.  

Alright, so I should also not complain about bugs or performance issues with Anti-Aliasing, seeing as there are people whose toaster can't even use it. Anybody getting a bugged or S#&$ty feature which others cannot use should just shut up with their problems even if it means that the situation of these others could also improve, got it. /s

Like I said, I agree with the fact that OP is asking for something unreasonable, but I find your way of argumenting just wrong. If you escalate this kind of logic, it also means you are acting entitled for giving feedback about anything on your PS4. There are people who don't have the money to buy a PS4, so we shouldn't improve the situation for those who do. 

Anyway, I fear there is nothing to salvage from this thread. I think there is no way DE would accept this kind of proposition, because it would lead to a huge risk while the current system still works fine. So I'm out, good luck, thread. 

Edited by bluepheonix13

I disagree. On a strictly Free to Play game, where majority of revenue is from prime access and platinum sales, it would be damaging to their bottom line to provide greater or more frequent discounts on the only thing they sell.

I'm grateful for the 75% discount when it comes, but I've bought plat on 20% and 50% before too. I am happy to pay whatever it costs at the time I need it, because I've never racked up 2500 hours in a game, let alone one I was never forced to spend a single dime on. Warframe is one of the best games out there, in terms of player economy and content development. It's player base is incredibly spoiled because of this.

So as a personal favor to me, quit your whining* and enjoy your (free) game.

*Edit: I used a stronger word the first time. Lets be nice here I guess.

Edited by Shabach

I think the current discount system is fine and doesn't need changing. If 75% discounts were the baseline, then DE should reduce your chances for a coupon to a very slim chance. I don't think we should change something that works perfectly fine.

Well, my main point is that even if all platinum prices were reduced to match the 75% discount coupon, you would still need to spend several hundred of euros to unlock everything in the game. Players who are invested in the game would slowly rack up a sum like mine, while others that are new would have the freedom to spend some cash to maybe get a frame or two and some weapons that they might enjoy. I can't believe that any sane person honestly expects new players to drop 44.99€ on a free to play game just to try out some new stuff to see if they like the feel, nor should an invested player be expected to spend thousands to collect everything. When I get a 75% discount coupon, I don't go "Oh boy! I got a discount! What a steal!". No, no, no. I go "Oh, sweet. Finally i can purchase something at a reasonable price".

At the end of the day, I'm a consumer, and as such I will take the stance of a consumer. Since neither me or any of you are working in DE and manage their money, let's just leave that part up to them. I don't think that anybody here is qualified to talk about weather or not DE will be at a loss or not if they do change their prices, and if you are then you'll have to aptly demonstrate why that is so with very compelling arguments as well as some evidence for your claims.

Perhaps the real issue is that we are so immersed in this new video game culture of micro-transactions, season passes, pre-orders, loot-boxes and whatnot,  that some of us might find it difficult to take a step back and observe the situation from the outside. Having to pay over 2 thousand euros on a video game is beyond ludicrous. Video games should not under any circumstances have the capacity to take that much money from you under any circumstances. It's a video game for crying out loud! If that doesn't prove a point, then I don't know what will.

Lastly, riddle me this please. Why would I spend 4 times the amount of money to buy a thing, when i know for a fact that I could potentially spend 4 times less to buy the exact same thing. Is DE praying on impatience? Perhaps some of the players are well-off, but not every one of us can spend 44.99 and 89.99 € for digital goods on a video game, on a consistent rate. Those prices are simply ridiculous. All I'm asking is, let me pay for my goods when I want to pay for my goods. Availability is all I want. When I'm not able to spend any money on this game and I start losing interest as a result, it's likely that I will spend that money on another game for that time period, which I have actually done in the past.

Edited by CalmClouds

3 hours ago, bluepheonix13 said:

Alright, so I should also not complain about bugs or performance issues with Anti-Aliasing, seeing as there are people whose toaster can't even use it. Anybody getting a bugged or S#&$ty feature which others cannot use should just shut up with their problems even if it means that the situation of these others could also improve, got it. /s

Like I said, I agree with the fact that OP is asking for something unreasonable, but I find your way of argumenting just wrong. If you escalate this kind of logic, it also means you are acting entitled for giving feedback about anything on your PS4. There are people who don't have the money to buy a PS4, so we shouldn't improve the situation for those who do. 

Anyway, I fear there is nothing to salvage from this thread. I think there is no way DE would accept this kind of proposition, because it would lead to a huge risk while the current system still works fine. So I'm out, good luck, thread. 

False equivalence.  But keep going.  It's amusing to watch.  Bug and issues will never be equal to having a discount.  One of those is actually an issue - one is simply not.  

Edited by (PS4)lagrue

Sheesh... You guys should probably take it easy there, you know? I just wanted to articulate my thoughts on this matter because the idea that DE listens to their community has been heavily reinforced by the community. Honestly, I don't see any reason for us, the players, to argue over this. Who in their right mind wouldn't want to buy a product for a lower price? Let DE have that debate among themselves, right? I don't think it's our place to take sides on that matter.

The coupon itself is an incentive to purchase platinum and to purchase more than you need because you never know when you next get that discount.

Receiving cash today for a product produced 1+ month from now is always a good deal for companies. Most game companies enjoy overselling premium currency.

15 minutes ago, CalmClouds said:

Well, my main point is that even if all platinum prices were reduced to match the 75% discount coupon, you would still need to spend several hundred of euros to unlock everything in the game. Players who are invested in the game would slowly rack up a sum like mine, while others that are new would have the freedom to spend some cash to maybe get a frame or two and some weapons that they might enjoy. I can't believe that any sane person honestly expects new players to drop 44.99€ on a free to play game just to try out some new stuff to see if they like the feel, nor should an invested player be expected to spend thousands to collect everything. When I get a 75% discount coupon, I don't go "Oh boy! I got a discount! What a steal!". No, no, no. I go "Oh, sweet. Finally i can purchase something at a reasonable price".

At the end of the day, I'm a consumer, and as such I will take the stance of a consumer. Since neither me or any of you are working in DE and manage their money, let's just leave that part up to them. I don't think that anybody here is qualified to talk about weather or not DE will be at a loss or not if they do change their prices, and if you are then you'll have to aptly demonstrate why that is so with very compelling arguments as well as some evidence for your claims.

Perhaps the real issue is that we are so immersed in this new video game culture of micro-transactions, season passes, pre-orders, loot-boxes and whatnot,  that some of us might find it difficult to take a step back and observe the situation from the outside. Having to pay over 2 thousand euros on a video game is beyond ludicrous. Video games should not under any circumstances have the capacity to take that much money from you under any circumstances. It's a video game for crying out loud! If that doesn't prove a point, then I don't know what will.

Lastly, riddle me this please. Why would I spend 4 times the amount of money to buy a thing, when i know for a fact that I could potentially spend 4 times less to buy the exact same thing. Is DE praying on impatience? Perhaps some of the players are well-off, but not every one of us can spend 44.99 and 89.99 € for digital goods on a video game, on a consistent rate. Those prices are simply ridiculous. All I'm asking is, let me pay for my goods when I want to pay for my goods. Availability is all I want. When I'm not able to spend any money on this game and I start losing interest as a result, it's likely that I will spend that money on another game for that time period, which I have actually done in the past.

Thats an ineffective way of looking at it. This is operating under the assumption that you have to buy everything in the store when going shopping. I guarantee you that no one who has ever played this game has ever considered buying every item possible in the game using plat.

I'm not sure how it's possible to overbuy platinum. There's no end to the things you can buy with it, so I don't really get that. I mean, if you want to spend money to get what you want to get, then you're going to do it regardless, no?

@Omega-Shadowblade That's not quite right. It is operating under the assumption that invested players will want to buy the majority of items in the game, because the game's system encourage that to a large extent. It's also operating under the assumption that a new player will want to pay a relatively small sum of money to try out some new frames and weapons that could potentially spark their interest and get the hooked on the game. It's also operating under the assumption that the majority of players won't be willing to pay full price when they know that they could potentially pay 4 times less.

I mean, it's all subjective and a matter of opinion, but I've offered my arguments for my case. I'm not just operating under unjustified assumptions or preconceptions.

Just now, CalmClouds said:

@Omega-Shadowblade That's not quite right. It is operating under the assumption that invested players will want to buy the majority of items in the game, because the game's system encourage that to a large extent. It's also operating under the assumption that a new player will want to pay a relatively small sum of money to try out some new frames and weapons that could potentially spark their interest and get the hooked on the game. It's also operating under the assumption that the majority of players won't be willing to pay full price when they know that they could potentially pay 4 times less.

I mean, it's all subjective and a matter of opinion, but I've offered my arguments for my case. I'm not just operating under unjustified assumptions or preconceptions.

I meant you're operating on the wrong assumption sales wise. Its unwise to consider a business from the best possible outcome. Better to look to a middling area. The average player might buy a couple armor sets and color pallets, then feel they are better off getting their plat through trades. I myself consider myself an "invested player" having bought some plat packs and prime accesses, and I still don't have a bunch of the armor sets due to preference and prefer to work on building stuff myself.  

@Omega-Shadowblade I don't understand what you're trying to get across at all. It's not my job to operate on behalf of DE, if that's what you're implying. I don't really care if they're making more money by allowing players to spend thousands of dollars. In fact, if that's what they're after then i'm very much against that notion as it strikes me as quite unethical. There's no way that either me or you could know if that's the case, since we're not part of the division that handles that kind of stuff.

*shrug* if you are going to suggest what is a big change to potential income (it really is. having it so that the discounts are always 75% or better is a real big deal for a business), you have to be ready to consider the angles. If you aren't willing to do so, then you really aren't interested in what it means for the game.  Its very very easy to lay out an idea and say "this is what i think it should be" but one does have to consider what it will do later on.