Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

FPS "stuttering" no drop in FPS count

Valaska

System Specs:

• GPU: R9 290x (4gb) (PowerColour)
  • CPU: Ryzen 2600x (AMD)
  • MOBO: 470x ROG Strix-f (ASUS)
  • RAM: DDR4 3200 (16gb) (G.Skill TridentZ)
  • SSD: 1TB 860evo (Samsung)
  • PSU: HX850w-M Corsair

It has RGB.

Issue:

It has been getting worse, but the issue started awhile ago before my firs reformat. Before it took about an hour of play to get these odd microfreezes that last about half a second. Now it starts immediately after log-in.

Steps Taken:

I have reformatted my computer, twice. I have attempting re-installing as well, but obviously there have been two complete refreshes. I have attempting turning off DX11, DX10, VSync, Multithreaded rendering, I am at stock settings for the launcher now with Vsync off.

I have ran a MemTest, it tests fine. Samsung Magician A.OK's my brand new SSD. All of my system was working perfectly fine with warframe just recently, as recent as last month... it can really eat up Warframe like its nothing and ask for more. Seriously, I can run Warframe, Star Citizen, BattleTech, and several other applications before it affects gameplay. I have tried running Deus Ex Mankind Divided on maxed out, Ultra specs and there is no frame loss. FFXIV runs fine as well. I am at an absolute loss as my thermals etc are fine.

Video of Issue:

Hardware Monitoring:

XqRWgh7.png

noGl8dZ.png

saLrwwX.png

The issue has started after the latest updates for sure... but, it also started after a BIOS update I did. The confounding factor on blaming it on BIOS is the fact that there's no issues in any other game that I can see at all? Please help, I absolutely, ABSOLUTELY need this wonderful game working again 😧 . Especially before railjack. Oh, hah, apparently I forgot to turn my music off on Warframe. The game sounds play uninterrupted what-so-ever which is even more confounding.

Edited by Valaska
Pictures work, I thought they didn't. Forgot I had music going.

8 hours ago, foterCZ said:

It started happening to me aswell. But only in Cetus.

Hmm, it sucks that it's happening to you mate but it is a little comfort it's not just myself, I was starting to think that it may have been the 4011 BIOS update caused the issue. I've had two friends report this issue, one the issue went away on its own and the other it was a massive MOBO failure, but I'm not getting any of the memory errors etc that he had so the MOBO seems to check out fine so far.

It was odd though, I booted today and tried warframe and the issue is much less pronounced, I had about one little stutter every two some minutes this time.

Phew! I thought I'm the only one. I have the exact same problem as well. I can see my fps dips every 1- 2 seconds or so from 60 to 50 ish. Weird thing is, I tried playing around with my RAM clock speed from 3200 to 3400 Mhz and it seems to temporarily alleviate the problem. That is... until I open another application like a browser or Discord and BAM! it happens again.

I'm having a similar issue. Didn't happen or at least wasn't noticeable before today, was playing the game last night with no problems at all, but when I launched it today it was stuttering like crazy in my orbiter and became even worse when I went into a mission. FPS counter says there are no drops, the sound was also buggy and stuttering.

Edit: I already updated all my drivers, restarted my pc and ran an anti-virus scan (just in case) but nothing so far has solved the issue.

Edited by Master-Yoga

Hey. I just back to the game today and had the similar issue (micro stuttering) on my R9 280x GPU For me fix was setting Max Framerate from 60 to 120 (i use Dxtroy for limiting fps to 60) You can easily set everything on max On my R9 280x GPU usage is around 30-40% in 1080p stable 60FPS

Edited by Barttt

20 minutes ago, Barttt said:

Hey. I just back to the game today and had the similar issue (micro stuttering) on my R9 280x GPU For me fix was setting Max Framerate from 60 to 120 (i use Dxtroy for limiting fps to 60) You can easily set everything on max On my R9 280x GPU usage is around 30-40% in 1080p stable 60FPS

Didn't solve my issue, as you can see I am running the game at 220fps so I have vsync completely off.

9 minutes ago, Valaska said:

Didn't solve my issue, as you can see I am running the game at 220fps so I have vsync completely off.

VSync is not just the limiter. But did you tried to change Max Framerate to higher than your monitor refresh rate ? (or just setting it to "no limit") Second thing that you can try is creating Custom res in AMD Drivers panel 1st Open your Radeon Settings (PPM on Desktop you'll see it) go to Display - Custom Resolution +Create and just press save (all of the settings should be your screen defaults Res will reload itself) and run the game in fullscreen mode (or even try borderless window) BTW Your Core/Memory Clocks are set to idle 300/1350MHz Try to run game in windowed borderless or better window mode and check the clocks when you can see them while in game This is weird because i got my GPU OC'ed to 1250MHz but with Warframe even in background clocks are locked to stock 1020MHz and i can't do nothing about it

6 hours ago, Barttt said:

VSync is not just the limiter. But did you tried to change Max Framerate to higher than your monitor refresh rate ? (or just setting it to "no limit") Second thing that you can try is creating Custom res in AMD Drivers panel 1st Open your Radeon Settings (PPM on Desktop you'll see it) go to Display - Custom Resolution +Create and just press save (all of the settings should be your screen defaults Res will reload itself) and run the game in fullscreen mode (or even try borderless window) BTW Your Core/Memory Clocks are set to idle 300/1350MHz Try to run game in windowed borderless or better window mode and check the clocks when you can see them while in game This is weird because i got my GPU OC'ed to 1250MHz but with Warframe even in background clocks are locked to stock 1020MHz and i can't do nothing about it

Windowed Borderless was tested before, no change in FPS really. But yeah my GPU is an R9 290x and they have pretty beefy core clocks. I've tried Vsync at 30/60/120, I've tried it off, tried it limitless, etc. All frustratingly are failing to solve the issue.

I could try overlay thing but I don't see why exactly that would be doing any harm... it all ran fine before the issue suddenly happened basically so I dunno but I can try that later.

12 hours ago, Valaska said:

Windowed Borderless was tested before, no change in FPS really. But yeah my GPU is an R9 290x and they have pretty beefy core clocks. I've tried Vsync at 30/60/120, I've tried it off, tried it limitless, etc. All frustratingly are failing to solve the issue.

I could try overlay thing but I don't see why exactly that would be doing any harm... it all ran fine before the issue suddenly happened basically so I dunno but I can try that later.

Vsync is one thing "Max Framerate" is Unreal Engine 3 separate limiter That why i asked did you tried to change this in game settings too because this fixed spike lags for me Custom Resolution fixed for me issues with Black Desert VSync for some reason this game aint got VSync setting in game and disabling it in drivers have no effect on game and if spike lags in Warframe are somehow connected with screen/res refresh rate you got the idea :) Your Core clock on screenshot is in idle so i can't see proper GPU usage (that why i told you to check GPU/CPU usage with game in windowed mode so you can see your GPU/CPU usage while in game) sometimes power saving features can cause acting similar to throttling resulting in spike lags and/or audio glitches Overlays can be reason for lot of issues too

1 hour ago, Barttt said:

Vsync is one thing "Max Framerate" is Unreal Engine 3 separate limiter That why i asked did you tried to change this in game settings too because this fixed spike lags for me Custom Resolution fixed for me issues with Black Desert VSync for some reason this game aint got VSync setting in game and disabling it in drivers have no effect on game and if spike lags in Warframe are somehow connected with screen/res refresh rate you got the idea 🙂 Your Core clock on screenshot is in idle so i can't see proper GPU usage (that why i told you to check GPU/CPU usage with game in windowed mode so you can see your GPU/CPU usage while in game) sometimes power saving features can cause acting similar to throttling resulting in spike lags and/or audio glitches Overlays can be reason for lot of issues too

Hmm? No those aren't idle, those are reads from when I was running Warframe, I only alt tabbed out after to take the screenshots. My video card barely has to work for warframe especially on min settings.

56 minutes ago, Valaska said:

Hmm? No those aren't idle, those are reads from when I was running Warframe, I only alt tabbed out after to take the screenshots. My video card barely has to work for warframe especially on min settings.

I mean on screenshot clock speed is on idle :) Is hard to tell but on those screenshots when you look at GPU Load (i assuming this is GPU utilization) is weirdly high and not consistent (my 280x is almost always stable at 25-35% with everything maxed) Core/Memory clocks and voltages are jumping too Download MSI Afterburner open settings (sprocket wheel icon) General tab - enable "unlock voltage monitoring" - Monitoring tab - enable GPU voltage GPU usage - Run Warframe for minute or two and check MSI Afterburner If GPU usage and voltage are jumping like crazy from 0-100% - Open settings - General tab - Enable "Force constant voltage" and  "Disable ULPS"  

5 hours ago, Barttt said:

I mean on screenshot clock speed is on idle 🙂 Is hard to tell but on those screenshots when you look at GPU Load (i assuming this is GPU utilization) is weirdly high and not consistent (my 280x is almost always stable at 25-35% with everything maxed) Core/Memory clocks and voltages are jumping too Download MSI Afterburner open settings (sprocket wheel icon) General tab - enable "unlock voltage monitoring" - Monitoring tab - enable GPU voltage GPU usage - Run Warframe for minute or two and check MSI Afterburner If GPU usage and voltage are jumping like crazy from 0-100% - Open settings - General tab - Enable "Force constant voltage" and  "Disable ULPS"  

Yarr thats what I did, I ran Warframe for 10 minutes and alt tabbed out and captured those pictures. Hmm, I never really noticed the load but MSI Afterburner sounds like it might be monitoring it different than GPU-Z, Task Manager says 5% though. I think its just a different way it is visualizing the metric.

On 2018-07-16 at 7:08 PM, Valaska said:

saLrwwX.png

Just gotta clarify; Is this screen shot, and the one of GPU-z, relevant to the video?

If so, you are using a lot of VRAM just standing around in the orbiter. It's kinda hard to find a place where warframe uses over 3GB, never mind 4GB+ (as seen in the GPU-z screenshot).

Also note that the behaviour you see is consistent with a system that's run out of dedicated VRAM and is swapping out data to RAM. You could have a memory leak. Since Warframes own ingame monitor looks normal it may be with the drivers. Note that Warframe's ingame monitor checks warframe exclusively, not any of the drivers required to run the game; Windows will keep track of all these.

You may want to check your drivers (possibly roll back?) and if there is no resolution, submit your EE.log to support, with a link to this thread.

Edited by MillbrookWest

20 hours ago, MillbrookWest said:

Just gotta clarify; Is this screen shot, and the one of GPU-z, relevant to the video?

If so, you are using a lot of VRAM just standing around in the orbiter. It's kinda hard to find a place where warframe uses over 3GB, never mind 4GB+ (as seen in the GPU-z screenshot).

Also note that the behaviour you see is consistent with a system that's run out of dedicated VRAM and is swapping out data to RAM. You could have a memory leak. Since Warframes own ingame monitor looks normal it may be with the drivers. Note that Warframe's ingame monitor checks warframe exclusively, not any of the drivers required to run the game; Windows will keep track of all these.

You may want to check your drivers (possibly roll back?) and if there is no resolution, submit your EE.log to support, with a link to this thread.

Yeah already sent then in the EE log earlier today. VRAM wouldn't be the memory leak, unfortunately, it's curious why the usage is so high on VRAM though and GPU-Z and both TaskManager are reporting that use. Not sure why its happening, but it is odd it wasn't happening before and its interesting that @MRPENGUIN420 actually has not only a different GPU, but a GTX 1070 which is a much more modern and Nvidia GPU while getting the same issue as I do.

MRPenguin, would you mind running Warframe and then CTRL+ALT+DELETE (if you are on Windows 10) and go to performance and see if you are full VRAM usage too? GPUZ would work as well, but if you have Windows 10 built in, you can see VRAM use with task manager.

I have same issue. This issue started to happen from Update 23.
Very likely to happen in Plains of Eidolon(Hek's Stiletto).
It does not improve even if Verify or Optimize.
Because it does not happen in other games, I think This issue peculiar to this game.

My PC Spec : Z68 chipset, i7-2600K, 8GB RAM, GTX770(391.24)

I'm also seeing stuttering even though fps is between 60 and 90fps, which is part of the problem. The issue people seem to be describing is a frame pacing problem which usually shows up with an unlocked frame rate, and since the latest game update, Warframe doesn't seem to be honoring v-sync being turned on, which is why I'm seeing fps running above the frame rate of my 60hz TV. I've tried changing the setting in both the game and in the GPU control but neither is making a difference

I am running into this issue a lot lately. I am not sure why, and it seems to have come out of the blue. Everything else has been running fine without issue, but Warframe has been a pain in my butt with this.

Worse off, I am seeing what look like graphical glitches and artifacts while on the Plains. I can confirm this is isolated to Warframe, so my GPU is not dying and so on. Performance monitoring on my second monitor shows no sign of overheating or throttling occurring, and the game's FPS counter shows a locker 69 FPS (72 lock in menu, vsync off. This is indeed an odd issue. It isn't so bad as to the extent of the OP video, but I am seeing it regularly.

System Specs

• R5 1600X (Stock)
  • RX 580 8GB GTS
  • 2x8GB 3200MHz 16C RAM
  • Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 F10 BIOS
  • SanDisk x400 512GB SSD (dedicated games drive)

I am getting the same issue. It is a stutter that basically follows a set interval between occurrences. Does not affect other programs nor the launcher. However, even the login screen is affected once the game is launched. I am playing in windowed borderless mode.

EDIT: I have noticed that immediately after a restart of my computer, this does not happen for a while. I have done all the requisite sweeps for malware and viruses and there are none that have been found, so I am beginning to wonder what might cause a build up that would lead to this issue over time that is cleared/solved by restarting the computer. Could it be garbage collection? Some sort of memory leak?

• i7- 7700HQ @ 2.80GHz
  • 16GB RAM
  • Nvidia Quadro P5000 (VR capable) w/ 16GB GDDR5
Edited by DragnierDraconai