Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Octavia's mallet description is misleading.

(XBOX)D00M INCARNATE

Octavia is an excellent Warframe. I do not want her to change in any way...BUT the ability description for Mallet is VERY misleading and caused me (and many other's from what I've read) to believe Octavia was bugged when I first played her.

According to the description, mallet should start dealing damage the second it is put down and then multiply based on being hit by enemy attacks. This is not how it works.

How it really works, is that it deals absolutely no damage, I mean there's not even a registration of damage. Then, when an enemy deals damage to it, the damage suddenly jumps based on how much damage the enemy deals. These are two very different things.

Not pertinent to this thread, but for those trying to understand why their Octavia is "bugged": another reason new Octavia players believe she is bugged is because her Mallet needs line of sight to deal damage. I say line of sight loosely because there seem to be a few exceptions (like damage goes through doors, but not through a little handrail because the enemy ducked behind it). This game mechanic is fine, because if mallet dealt damage the way every other AOE in the game did (a fixed radius, dealing damage through walls, floors, ceilings, etc) it would be extremely overpowered.

Octavia has quickly become my favorite Warframe and I'd hate for her to change in any way...BUT, a new description for mallet might help new players.

So I wanted to share this:

C1CB416D9C841B3759417B7F6BC3DB1333B18C83

The circled portion shows that Mallet does not have innate damage. It has a multiplier, a radius, and duration. It has no damage listing though. If you look at Excal (for example) his abilties (save for radial) list 'Damage' showing they do damage on their own. Now, I'll agree that it could be better worded to express that it requires damage first. That being it only requires LoS for the initial damage dealt to it. For example: In Hydron, I can lay down Mallet on the cryopod and the beginning few enemies will fire at it. Once that initial set of damage is done, my Mallet will kill enemies within it's radius outside of LoS. Again, I'm not disagreeing about the wording, but I'm explaining a few points that could help the player understand in it's current state.

I'm not too concerned about arguing the mechanics, I'm just saying a 5 min Google search and it's evident there's a good handful of Octavia  players that think she's bugged beyond playable. I was really close to going "well she was a fun idea, but she doesn't work enough to bother playing her" until I stumbled across how her mechanics work.

If the ability was reworded, it might help people.

12 minutes ago, Zyneris said:

So I wanted to share this:

C1CB416D9C841B3759417B7F6BC3DB1333B18C83

The circled portion shows that Mallet does not have innate damage. It has a multiplier, a radius, and duration. It has no damage listing though. If you look at Excal (for example) his abilties (save for radial) list 'Damage' showing they do damage on their own. Now, I'll agree that it could be better worded to express that it requires damage first. That being it only requires LoS for the initial damage dealt to it. For example: In Hydron, I can lay down Mallet on the cryopod and the beginning few enemies will fire at it. Once that initial set of damage is done, my Mallet will kill enemies within it's radius outside of LoS. Again, I'm not disagreeing about the wording, but I'm explaining a few points that could help the player understand in it's current state.

I should point out I play on xbox, I don't know what the PC updates (which are future updates for xbox I believe) have done to her.

1 minute ago, (XB1)D00M INCARNATE said:

If the ability was reworded, it might help people.

The descriptions of abilities are always a little flowery. Always look at the statistics, they show you right in the game's interface, in your Arsenal under the Abilities section.

Octavia hasn't been changed, and she definitely isn't bugged. The only thing that's not actually included in that Stat screen is that the damage buff is temporary, in that after a few seconds of not being dealt damage, it reverts to default. Usually after the enemy dealing the damage is dead ^^

5 minutes ago, (XB1)D00M INCARNATE said:

I should point out I play on xbox, I don't know what the PC updates (which are future updates for xbox I believe) have done to her.

No updates have been made to her other than her augment mod.

3 minutes ago, Thaylien said:

The only thing that's not actually included in that Stat screen is that the damage buff is temporary, in that after a few seconds of not being dealt damage, it reverts to default. Usually after the enemy dealing the damage is dead ^^

I've noticed the damage fall off, but I wasn't sure if I was understanding that correctly or if it had something to do with the beat of my song.

3 minutes ago, Zyneris said:

No updates have been made to her other than her augment mod.

They added an aug?? *breathe's heavily

#myNOOBisshowing

2 minutes ago, (XB1)D00M INCARNATE said:

I've noticed the damage fall off, but I wasn't sure if I was understanding that correctly or if it had something to do with the beat of my song.

#myNOOBisshowing

Haha yeah, not sure when it hits console, but it splits mallet in to two mallets and halves the range of both. Most people hate it, but I love it.

Just now, (XB1)D00M INCARNATE said:

Uuuh, wow. That's a twist. So resonator picks up one and the other goes where you want it? I need to look this up...do they share damage spikes?

Yes to the first, no (or not that I've seen in the few times I've used it - I should test that) to the second. They each function on their own.

50 minutes ago, (XB1)D00M INCARNATE said:

#myNOOBisshowing

Partitioned Mallet, it's for those times when you have rooms with lots of line-of-sight issues, where one single Mallet wouldn't damage enemies because there's obstacles in the way, no matter how much range you have.

It lets you throw down a mallet in one place to catch one approach, and another in the next place to catch the other. If you put each of them juuuuust in range of Amp, you even cover more effective area with them too, because they expand beyond the range of a single mallet in the directions you're placing them.