Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

People and "SPOILERS" but not really.....

ShadowD

So today i was playing Warframe like any other day, i decide to do an alert and suddenly i get this stranger telling me i can't play umbra because "SPOILERS!"

I usually don't post and keep to myself when people do this but I'm curious as to what others opinions are on these types of things.

I've been playing Warframe since closed beta and have never had anyone be like this till recently. (there were a couple others who did similar things but i didn't think to screen shot the convo's)  

O4CR0KB.jpg?1

bv4PGyw.jpg?1

(For those wondering what i meant by "play similar to me.." i was using operator while umbra ran around the map like an idiot lol)

Edited by ShadowD

I think you may have to hash the person's name out of the image, naming & shaming and all that jazz. And using Umbra isn't a problem (because that would be like using Harrow or Octavia in front of a MR.1) but he may be thinking that you'll use your 

Spoiler

operator. New players don't know about the Operator and all that jazz (at least not the un-spoiled ones) and when they play TSD it's a huge shock to see the Operator get revealed. The dude's probably just worried you'll use the Operator and spoil the new guy.

14 minutes ago, LightningsVengance said:

I think you may have to hash the person's name out of the image, naming & shaming and all that jazz. And using Umbra isn't a problem (because that would be like using Harrow or Octavia in front of a MR.1) but he may be thinking that you'll use your 

Hide contents

operator. New players don't know about the Operator and all that jazz (at least not the un-spoiled ones) and when they play TSD it's a huge shock to see the Operator get revealed. The dude's probably just worried you'll use the Operator and spoil the new guy.

fixed the name thing

but if its like that then its like you cant really play warframe anymore cause everything you have or use is a "spoiler" (Kubrow, Catbrow, Sentinals, even primed frames or weapons), a spoiler in my opinion is telling someone how something ends like the whole operator lore or the umbra lore. 

3 minutes ago, ShadowD said:

fixed the name thing

but if its like that then its like you cant really play warframe anymore cause everything you have or use is a "spoiler" (Kubrow, Catbrow, Sentinals, even primed frames or weapons), a spoiler in my opinion is telling someone how something ends like the whole operator lore or the umbra lore. 

Not really, kubrows are introduce pretty early in the game and players would probably eventually question what happened to dogs, players receive the Taxon sentinel blueprint on the Venus junction, and Kavats are pretty insignificant as far as the lore goes, it's pretty much just wild life and robots. 

Spoiler

Meanwhile, with the Warframes players are somewhat lead to believe that they are the Warframe, and seeing an Operator may reveal to a new player that there is more to them being a golem of death and inescapable judgement. Kavats, Kubrows and Sentienls don't have as much lore significance as the player does.

Seems to me, it would be best to avoid "spoiler mode" or the "spoiler helmet" for Umbra, on nodes/planets/alerts prior to access to the Second Dream quest (which means the Neptune Junction), at least when playing with random others. The content can be done without spoiler mode anyway.

If you know the people in your group are past that, no problem, obviously.

If DE is dead set on avoiding spoilers to new players, and doesn't want to leave it in the hands of the players to be considerate or not... they could limit matchmaking on early nodes to only match those who have not completed the Second Dream, and open up matchmaking on later planets. People could still invite/be invited to squads, but they wouldn't randomly get grouped up with people who could spoil the story at any given second, playing in a manner that has become second nature to them.

Alternatively, DE could "void-blur" the spoiler-mode people, so newbies can't see what's really there aside from their trail of destruction/healing (call it interference from Lotus, shielding them from the truth)

Just remember, the 'shock' to veterans when OP's were revealed had much more meaning than a new player finding it out nowadays. From the 2 friends I got into Warframe, they found it interesting that you were actually an OP but it didn't really seem to have much impact for them, compared to for me which it was a huge thing due to that not being confirmed to be the case for hundreds of hours and you know, actual story and character building.

I'd say most new people would actually be interested seeing a new game mechanic they will unlock later, some might not even notice it because everything else is so new to them they can't even separate OP's from the norm of Warframe play. Not saying there are no newer players who would hate to be spoiled though, there are likely quite a few. But I say just play using w/e you want whenever so long as you aren't being detrimental.

Second dream has no chance of having the same impact to a new player who played for two weeks as it did to people who played for years and speculated what it could all mean. Look at streamers getting into warframe, their viewers get mad at them for not crying in awe when reacting to second dream. Operator reveal isnt that big of a deal veterans should stop overhyping it and being so dramatic about it imo.