Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Chat Server Upgrades & Experimental IPv6 Support

[DE]Glen

These last few weeks have been pretty busy around here -- Warframe just keeps growing and growing! Among other things, our chat servers have been running a little hot for a while now and in recent weeks they have been really showing their age. As part of continued improvements to our network infrastructure, we recently upgraded our PC Chat server to a box with over 50% more hamsters in it, and we’re planning to deploy upgrades for the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 chat servers next week. Fresh woodchips for everybody!

One of the things the new servers can do is IPv6 networking. You might remember about a year ago we enabled dual-stack IPv6 for a number of servers, which has been great, but this left some of our infrastructure still on IPv4.

Coming soon to a hotfix near you is an experimental option to connect to chat using the new protocol (enable in Settings => Chat => IPv6). Note: for this option to do anything, you will need IPv6 connectivity (you can check https://ipv6test.google.com/). Support on Xbox One will arrive soon, but unfortunately support on the PlayStation 4 can’t happen without some SDK features from Sony.

Among other things, we hope that IPv6 will reduce periodic disconnects that some people experience (usually reported as error code 10054 when a network device between your PC and our servers drops your connection for no reason). Generally we can’t “fix the internet,” so we just reconnect when it happens -- but we’re hoping that if you’re on IPv6 you can avoid carrier 6-to-4 NAT, which may avoid the issue altogether.

We also hope IPv6 will help some people simply never being able to connect to chat (the spinner never stops). For some reason this is more of a problem for PC players, but it’s not clear why. (Firewall software? Misbehaving routers? The killer is still at large!) This may be as common as one out of every 20 players, but I have yet to meet someone with this problem, much less someone willing to run packet captures for me to diagnose it. (If that’s you, let me know!)

I personally don’t have IPv6 connectivity (I had to test all this with a VPN), so I’m hoping to hear from you guys who have modern ISPs to tell me how well it works. Since everything should be automatic, our goal is to turn it on by default at some point in the near future once we iron out any wrinkles you may find.

56 minutes ago, [DE]Glen said:

We also hope IPv6 will help some people simply never being able to connect to chat (the spinner never stops). For some reason this is more of a problem for PC players, but it’s not clear why. (Firewall software? Misbehaving routers? The killer is still at large!) This may be as common as one out of every 20 players, but I have yet to meet someone with this problem, much less someone willing to run packet captures for me to diagnose it. (If that’s you, let me know!)

I'm playing on a laptop. Chat is fine at home, never disconnects.

Chat never connects when I'm at one of my friends house, UNLESS I type something in chat.

Misbehaving router would be my bet.

Tried resetting the router at my friends, didn't change anything.

I'm in Montreal, I can take a train to T.DOT all expenses paid for you to diagnose whatever you want on my 17 Inch HP Envy I5-3230m, 2GB Nvidia 740m, 12 GB Ram.

Any chance you add IPv6 support for other services? I have issues with joining/inviting to group because of government censorship (certain bans affected Warframe). I can join public game and even *host* public game (and I can host a game which my friends can join) and have no issues if I stay in group after that, but I can never invite anyone or accept any invite directly, to do that I have to connect through VPN. But these bans generally do not affect IPv6, so it might solve issues for a time being (well, until these $&*&*#(%&s start banning prefixes in IPv6 like they ban entire IPv4 /10 subnets, which I hope will not happen soon).

Archived