The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

We Only Have One Sniper Available To A Brand New Player...

zephyrdragoon

Something more damaging than a Latron.

Like 70 dmg per hit.

So yeah, basically something similar.

Maybe add a scope.

Well the lex does 70 damage, but if you want some thing that shoots a bit faster and you don't mind travel time then the seer would be a good choice

BratonV vs Flux , Flux is STILL the best full auto rifle in the game. SnipetronV vs Lanka , Lanka is STILL the best full auto rifle in the game. LatoV + LatoP , Acrid is STILL the best Sidearm in the game (hell,the best weapon in the game).  Have you noticed something? Eh ? Yep everyone can acquire those weapons from the clan dojo,no matter when they joined. Vandals are just trophy weapons to show people you've been around for more than they have.  

Oh and mods,besides Lethal Torrent (only "exclusive" mod worth getting,even tho they said it  gets added to the nightmare rewards soon) you can get any other mod by playing the game. And no,i'm pretty sure no one uses Primed Chamber,waste of a mod slot when you could put something better in there that actually increases your overall damage,not just 1 first shot.

Better?  Debatable.  Nothing in the game does what the snipetron V does.  If you want a hitscan weapon with armor piercing damage, then the lanka is no substitute to the snipetron.  They're completely different weapons.  Lanka is about as similar to the snipetron/snipetron V as it is to the Dread.  If you are a new player, then you will never be able to do what the players who acquired snipetrons can do.  No matter how much effort you put into the game, you will always never be able to do what they can do.  That's just poor design.

Many of the vandals are debatably balanced, but that's the thing.  Its debatable.  But nothing's stopping future vandals from having stats being leagues superior to prime/clantech.  As a matter of good game design, mechanically identical weapons should be available in parallel to their super-shiny exclusive counterparts.

Edited by GeneralArmchair

Many of the vandals are debatably balanced, but that's the thing.  Its debatable.  But nothing's stopping future vandals from having stats being leagues superior to prime/clantech.  As a matter of good game design, mechanically identical weapons should be available in parallel to their super-shiny exclusive counterparts.

DoT weapons like the Op suggested are either completely overpowered or totally useless, seldom are weapon like that ever balanced. Snipetron and Vandal Sniptetron do not exist anymore and comparing Vulkar to Lanka is basically a bad joke.

Vulkar is terrible, I would rather DE make a new weapon or just changed the Vulkar so there was an alternative to Lanka.

Two possible weapon that wouldn't be game breaking;

Hit scan

Physical impact

125-150 damage,

fire rate 1.5

Reload time 2 second

Magazine 6

Critical chance 20%

Critical damage 150%

Or

Hit scan

Physical impact

90 damage

fire rate 4

Reload time 2 second

Magazine 10

Critical chance 20%

Critical damage 150%

Edited by LazyKnight

To OP: I don't think this is appropriate for a rank 0-3 weapon. It's not an alternative to anything in its proposed bracket, it's vastly superior (for the primary slot). 

I'm going to lean towards a thumbs down; sniping weapons are meant to kill in one shot (i.e. high DPH) with low DPS.

You didn't the whole post did you? As described, this idea would have the highest base damage per hit of any sniper rifle. 100 + (80x4) = 420 damage per shot.

It would suffer from the current dot mechanic of it not hitting the spot you actually hit with your shot. That'd take away from it being remotely skill-based.

So what if the dot doesn't get bonus damage? You would still benefit from pixel hunting. Proportional to the total damage, it might not be much. However, doubling or tripling the initial (100 base) damage is still significant enough to reward deliberate shots.

Edited by Karma_Ghost

To OP: I don't think this is appropriate for a rank 0-3 weapon. It's not an alternative to anything in its proposed bracket, it's vastly superior (for the primary slot). 

You didn't the whole post did you? As described, this idea would have the highest base damage per hit of any sniper rifle. 100 + (80x4) = 420 damage per shot.

So what if the dot doesn't get bonus damage? You would still benefit from pixel hunting. Proportional to the total damage, it might not be much. However, doubling or tripling the initial (100 base) damage is still significant enough to reward deliberate shots.

And pretty much this sniper will use Fire rate mods instead of critical (since dots cant crit).

I did read the post. Snipers are meant to kill in one shot. Yeah, this sniper has the highest base damage per hit, but each hit lasts 4 seconds. And don't even get me started on stacking DOTs, it's way too imbalanced right now.

It would be nice if DOTs were applied on weakpoint multipliers and the initial hit was affected by armor though. I had forgotten that DOT's do not crit.

I did read the post. Snipers are meant to kill in one shot. Yeah, this sniper has the highest base damage per hit, but each hit lasts 4 seconds. And don't even get me started on stacking DOTs, it's way too imbalanced right now.

It would be nice if DOTs were applied on weakpoint multipliers and the initial hit was affected by armor though. I had forgotten that DOT's do not crit.

First tick of the dot component occurs on impact, so it only lasts 3 seconds. That's beside the point though. Once you know how many shots it takes to drop a specific enemy, you don't have to wait for it to die. You land however many hits it takes to do lethal damage (including the dot) and move on to the next target. 

First tick of the dot component occurs on impact, so it only lasts 3 seconds. That's beside the point though. Once you know how many shots it takes to drop a specific enemy, you don't have to wait for it to die. You land however many hits it takes to do lethal damage (including the dot) and move on to the next target. 

No, I'm pretty sure there's an initial hit, and then the DOT ticks in for 4 seconds. Take a look at the Acrid: 25 (initial hit) + 72 (18 damage for 4 seconds). This sniper sounds more effective if it were changed to be more like a "battle rifle" of sorts, akin to a more effective, Infested Latron (Prime).

I don't think practically any sniper rifle in this game could be called op lol this game is to much in your face and totally discourages long range combat. people end up using sniper rifles like shotguns. compare what he is saying to sobek. on most levels sobek can one shot things with a clip of 20 that is twenty kills this gun would have 6 kills and a long reload time and you would actually have to aim it while standing still. 

his idea isn't op but it still doesn't sound like a newbie weapon

sounds OP if this is your idea for a sniper rifle that new players can acquire

When he says "New Players", he means Players that started AFTER the Informer event (and as such, do not have access to the snipetrons).

Because, just face it, the Vulkar sucks.

Hopefully the Tenno sniper will be better.

Edited by Xylia

Firstly you didn't follow the philosophy of a sniper rifle.

Snipers are:

Burst

Long

Single Target

Your suggestion is:

DPS

Long

Single Target

Secondly, your suggestion doesn't match the *style* of a sniper rifle, in that a body shot will deal 420% damage, but a headshot will only deal 520% damage (less of a gain than the Acrid). Without fixing this, it makes the gun basically pointless to be accurate with (compare a Lanka going from 100% to 200%).

Thirdly, before crits and ignoring headshots and sonar shots, this gun is just straight up more powerful than the Lanka. Effective base damage after time has elapsed is 416 (100*(1+.8*4) -4 (rounding)). The lanka *has* to headshot to beat this thing's damage per bullet on bodyshot after the second tick (one second after the initial hit, due to DoTs being applied at the *start* of a second), and on headshots the Lanka is straight up out-damaged by this gun again (516 vs 500).

Fourthly, this gun has none of the disadvantages of the Lanka, while having better ammo efficiency for anyone that isn't Banshee (Sonar's x6.5 outscales a headshot's meager x2 by a country mile). Not charged, no projectile time.

And you want this to be a *starter* sniper?

You created an m7 clantech weapon. As a b3m7 this gun would be "par the course" assuming you gave it a projectile (instead of Hitscan) and charge time (instead of normal firing). In fact, I would support this being added in that form with those requirements.

How about instead we just wait for the damage rework and shave 1.4+ seconds off of the reload speed on the Vulkar. Suddenly we have an actual starting sniper rifle ^_^

Edited by TheBlueJelly

How about instead we just wait for the damage rework and shave 1.4+ seconds off of the reload speed on the Vulkar. Suddenly we have an actual starting sniper rifle ^_^

With the current armor system and gameplay pacing, I would love for the Vulkar to gain 25 damage and/or an extra bullet as well. 4 shots is so poor for long-term engagements, even with a reduced reload time.