Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

No more Rift sigil awe

WarrXIII

This weekend, one of the few items that have any kind of meaning to it has lost its place among the top rarist and meaningful. No longer an awe inspiring symbol for newer players, nor a near unquenchable thirst for older ones.

I invite you to step into the shoes of a pretty new player. (myself, 3 years ago)

My friend and I drop into a Derelict defense with a bored veteran who's kind enough to help us farm for nav coordinates so we can farm Lephantis. Straight away we notice this awesome looking energy tearing through the front and back of his warframe. We asked him what sigil it was and he said: "its the rift sigil, i got it from an old event". This guy became 1000 times more badass because of this sigil. My friend and I were losing our minds over it

As soon as the mission was over we did some research on the sigil and found out that its super rare and the drop chance was either 0.5% or 0.25%, depending on who you believed. We knew that we HAD to get it.

Several months pass and there's another tactical alert. There i am, lurking in the region chat for some unknown reason. When i see someone say that he saw someone mention that thier one friend's clan member did the elevated mission and received the rift sigil at the end of the mission. Its a long stretch, but its worth a shot; so into the recruiting chat i go, where i team up with 2 other rift sigil hungry tenno who saw the same message in the region chat.

Off we go, doing the same spy mission over and over, hoping the rumours are true. 1 hour turns to 4,which turns to 8. We're just about ready to give up and cry ourselves to sleep, when i hear a whisper - "one more mission". We head off on our last attempt, and at the end of the mission we see the rift sigil sitting in our reward table. We then proceed to loose our collective minds for the next 10 minutes and thanking each other in the squad chat, while i go and put the sigil on all of my warframes. To this day, i still have it on every single warframe.

Before this weekend, those lucky enough to own one wore it with immense pride. And those who saw them in their missions knew that the RNGesus was on their side. But now that everyone who showed up for a tactical alert got one, its lost its meaning, and its awe inspiring presence. Its become just another item, instead of the mythical sigil that few own. Whats next? Baro selling primed chamber? Excalibur prime as a quest reward?

Whats the point of having exclusive time based rewards if they're just gonna be given to everyone and their grandmothers a few years down the line?

I think the only way to fix this is to give people who own 2 rift sigils the ability to combine them into one super rift sigil so that they still stand out from all the "unworthy owners", that way there's still some kind of compensation for all their time, effort, and moa's sacrificed to the RNGesus.

Sorry for the long post.

I have to agree, i see this more and more with old cosmetics just being handed out easily. Nothing feels like a achievement anymore basicly. I got it all the way in the first event that popped up with the sigil and have been using it for years in the sense that its a pretty rare sigil and now its being given away in a AFK defense mission.

Edited by Aleksi134

4 minutes ago, WarrXIII said:

Before this weekend, those lucky enough to own one wore it with immense pride. And those who saw them in their missions knew that the RNGesus was on their side.

Lucky?  RNGesus?
Sorry but you are aware of how it was originally introduced right?

It was an escalation of the Phoenix Intercept mission.  Level 100 to 150 grineer interception with a harsh conclave limit and melee only, heavy blade melee at that.  Actually fairly difficult at the time.  And if you completed it you got the rift sigil, guaranteed.  No RNG, no luck.  Just doing a decently hard mission.

People complained about it so DE eventually released it as a series of RNG rewards from tactical alerts.
People complained about that because it took too much time and luck to get so DE essentially reverted back to the original method of getting it (even though its much, much, lower level and easier), making it essentially another participation reward.
And people are still complaining it.

I don't understand this community at times.

Edited by Tsukinoki
  • Like 1

Let's be honest here , you need the nerves of steel to finish the buggy and unnecessarily long event...
if you think I'm an 'unworthy owner' of a sigil that  made me consume 3 cups of coffee in 1 sitting then you're wrong.

PS , I'd farm lephantis any day over repeating this insanely boring event , that's not something special. if you want to show prestige , just run John Prodman.

Or you can try to act as a grown up and accept it that times change.

This is just another sigil it was never more, nor less.

As for your example if baro one day decides to sell a primed chamber it would be like any other day when he arrives. Its only your fake sense of accomplishment what tells you other are unworthy of it.

3 minutes ago, StinkyPygmy said:

its.... just a sigil....

People like their shiny things that show that they were here during X time doing Y mission.
You see it everywhere.

Just like people argue back and forth over the event badges coming back.  Some want them back because they look cool, others want them to stay gone because they showed that you were here for those events and mean something that way.

It all comes down to shiny exclusives that people argue on both sides are cosmetics and should therefore either come back (They are just cosmetics and don't mean anything) or stay gone (They are just cosmetics and have no impact) with pretty much the same arguments on both sides.

1 minute ago, S0thaSil said:

Let's be honest here , you need the nerves of steel to finish the buggy and unnecessarily long event...

Eh?  It was a tad long because that's just how defense missions are but hardly buggy in the least.

Edited by Tsukinoki

Just now, Tsukinoki said:

Lucky?  RNGesus?
Sorry but you are aware of how it was originally introduced right?

It was an escalation of the Phoenix Intercept mission.  Level 100 to 150 grineer interception with a harsh conclave limit and melee only.  Actually fairly difficult at the time.  And if you completed it you got the rift sigil, guaranteed.  No RNG, no luck.  Just doing a decently hard mission.

People complained about it so DE eventually released it as a series of RNG rewards from tactical alerts.
People complained about that because it took too much time and luck to get so DE essentially reverted back to the original method of getting it (even though its much, much, lower level and easier).
And people are still complaining it.

I don't understand this community at times.

I was about to write the same.

As a person who got the sigil during Phoenix Intercept, I'm really indifferent to this issue. I did my 10 or 15 minutes interception and got the sigil. End of the story.

However yes, OP, DE wants their work to be shared by the whole community and their grandma. They started years ago by allowing you to have the sigil.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, WarrXIII said:

I think the only way to fix this is to give people who own 2 rift sigils the ability to combine them into one super rift sigil so that they still stand out from all the "unworthy owners", that way there's still some kind of compensation for all their time, effort, and moa's sacrificed to the RNGesus.

I can't tell if you're serious or not but I'm dying from laughter either way.

25 minutes ago, WarrXIII said:

Whats the point of having exclusive time based rewards if they're just gonna be given to everyone and their grandmothers a few years down the line?

IF you want something "exclusive" then look no further than your Stratos Emblem.  There is no catch up method possible for that thing and as long as you keep playing TAs no new player will have the same rank emblem as you.
For instance people who have played through all TAs have 31 points in their stratos emblem, and as long as they keep playing each and every one as it comes out no one can catch up to them and get the same rank if they haven't done the same thing and put in the same time and effort.

That's honestly the real exclusive from any of the TAs that DE has ever released.

Edited by Tsukinoki

Another one of these. Really? With my limited time I spend on these forums I've now seen three crytopic's about people getting a sigil. 

50 minutes ago, WarrXIII said:

"top rarist and meaningful" "awe inspiring symbol" "immense pride" "awe inspiring presence".

The symbol should still be that just for you then, since you got it the only way you deem worthy. Don't use the argument you're speaking for people missing out on that from getting it from this event. They probably doesn't give 2 naughty words about it.

Excalibur prime as a quest reward?

Poorest argument today, and it's only 3pm good job . The rift sigil was never a part of a founder buyin club. It was a rare Sigil that will eventually, come back so newer people could get it. It was never said this sigil would be exclusive like the Excalibur Prime was. When this event ends, it will probably be a long time until it's seen again. But it will come back.

Do you even know what you're typing? You're shocked a time based reward is for everyone? Would it be better to introduce an event that only 1000 players can complete before it disappears again? Lol, a time based reward is just that, be active on that time and you'll get it. If not, you'll miss it. This point made me laugh out loud. 🤣

Jesus.

Edited by haloamted
I've actually seen 3 topics about this. No jokes.

Just now, VentiGlondi said:

Spamming Sound Quake in the corner for several minutes while your team kills everything ain't that difficult.

To be fair with its limitations it was still more difficult than most of the content currently in game, even with the cheese strats that some groups employed.
And with the conclave limit it was fairly difficult to keep your SQ up for "several minutes" without running out of energy...

If they brought back the original event it wouldn't be that hard currently due to all of the powercreep that this game has gone through, but back then it was a small challenge that actually made you think about your group composition a little bit.

4 minutes ago, Tsukinoki said:

To be fair with its limitations it was still more difficult than most of the content currently in game, even with the cheese strats that some groups employed.
And with the conclave limit it was fairly difficult to keep your SQ up for "several minutes" without running out of energy...

If they brought back the original event it wouldn't be that hard currently due to all of the powercreep that this game has gone through, but back then it was a small challenge that actually made you think about your group composition a little bit.

It was too difficult for many people at the time but with a good team it was straightforward.  I found it fun probably because we got Tempo Royale on the normal version and going nuts with Galatine and Valkyrs War Cry was something new.   I still haven't grown out of that if I'm going to be honest.🤩

48 minutes ago, WarrXIII said:

This weekend, one of the few items that have any kind of meaning to it has lost its place among the top rarist and meaningful. No longer an awe inspiring symbol for newer players, nor a near unquenchable thirst for older ones.

are you for real?

You sound like a founder complaining about Umbra. It’s just a sigil. Not even a frame, but a sigil. Who cares if they bring back old cosmetics? They’ll still mean something to you. I don’t understand this community sometimes. You want something to be brought back, then when they bring it back you want it exclusive again cuz it’s “no longer special”. I’ll bet a good portion of players thought that the sigil was something brand new. I did. Didn’t take long to learn that it wasn’t. 

32 minutes ago, sati44 said:

At this point I feel like I'm watching an episode of Twilight Zone or Twin Peaks.

jsut imagine, in his head he was walking around missions and whatever with the sigil and was thinking to himself all the newbies were in awe of his achievement. you know, people who probably wouldn't even know what a sigil is yet. what the #*!% is wrong with certain people

3 minutes ago, Rawbeard said:

jsut imagine, in his head he was walking around missions and whatever with the sigil and was thinking to himself all the newbies were in awe of his achievement. you know, people who probably wouldn't even know what a sigil is yet. what the #*!% is wrong with certain people

Exactly this.
Especially with a sigil that, unless you're specifically looking for it, is practically invisible!
No one really notices or pays attention to the small cosmetics on your frame regardless of what they are, especially the event ones that most new players honestly know nothing about.

I'm willing to bet that the vast majority of players wouldn't be able to construct a list of past events or TAs....and an equal amount wouldn't really care where you got a cosmetic from.

You are about to enter another dimension, a dimension not only of plat and grind but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land of imagination. Next stop, the Warframe Zone!

Meet Mr.WarrXIII. Age: youthful never aging star child. Occupation: being in love. Not just in love, but madly, passionately, illogically, miserably, all-consumingly in love, with a young Sigil named Rift who has a vague recollection of his face and even less than a passing interest. In a moment you'll see a switch, because Mr. WarrXIII, the young never aging star child so much in love with the Rift Sigil, will take a short but very meaningful journey into the Warframe Zone.

Edited by sati44

2 hours ago, WarrXIII said:

You must be really, really delusional if you thought that an ok tier sigil was an "awe inspiring symbol" for newer players, or that it ever had any meaning to it. Sorry to burst your bubble, but no, nobody ever noticed your "super duper awesome" sigil when you were stroling around a relay or Cetus. Get a life.

OP, I won't repeat all others above said, for I'd be repeating something despite agreeing with it. I'll just state the following:

• How bad and unskilled must you be to measure your strenght from an almost unnoticeable glyph? I mean, at most I get newbies staring at me during Lith fissures, but that's because of my full body cosmetics, not because of lousy sigils. I have many, many sigils. Do you know which ones I use, exclusively? Only the syndicate ones, because they actually serve a purpose. That's it.

Warframe veteran my *ss, mate. You're definetly not part of this mostly kind community with elitist statements like that.

Ultra low drop rate successfully wasted someone's time? Effective skinner box(not so ethical though) . 

Reprint items to attract new players? Nice marketing. 

Epeen fencing in a carebear game? To be expected. 

Edited by Volinus7