[DE]Rebecca

Coming Soon: Devstream #114!

Regarding the removal of channeling: what will happen to some unique weapon mechanics that require us to use channeling like Orvius, Synoid Heliocor etc.?

• Like 1

We have meele weapons that focus on fighting with your fists, like the Ankyros. We have meele weapons that focus on punching and some kicking, the Obex. But can we at some point get a meele weapon that is entirely based around kicking?

1) why did you guys wish to bring back slower heavy attacks?

2) why remove the ability to scale melee damage with quicker silent light attacks? that feels like a nerf to the stealth frames.

3) what happens to mods like blood rush, weeping wounds, body count and drifting contact now in melee 3.0?

4) can't you guys just make the combo counter decay like with the naramon tree perk?

5) what happens to warframe abilities like bladestorm which depend on combo counter proccing? will they be nerfed now or will their damage be increased? i really hope you guys increase the damage of warframe abilities which scale with combo counter, make it 3x the base damage since ash's ult will be pretty much useless over lvl 50 otherwise. Also i plead that you increase the base damage of melee weapons by 3 times if you are taking the normal scaling away from combo counters.

6) what changes are you guys bringing to the stances? right now it's smash e combo, e pause e combo or e+block combo. will each stance get their own unique heavy attacks?

7) what happens to channeling mods like dispatch overdrive, life strike, quickening? some builds really do use channeling to heal or for utility purposes. how will you replace the channeling mods now?

8)since you guys are combining channeling and blocking, will that mean it will cost energy to block? if not then i will be able to spam 100% damage reduction frontal block all the times yes?

• Like 1

Have changes happened to what was shown in past streams about the new melee system? If so, what has changed?

I'm mainly a melee player, and lately I made The Sigma & Octanis my signature weapon. Also, I'm maining Naramon school. I'm slightly worried for the new Combo mechanics. Slightly because usually your reworks, despite at first could feel like nerfs, most of the times end up being for the greater good of the game.

But i'm worried how the new Melee 3.0 Combo mechanic is going to affect the Naramon School. We already lost the Invisibility, and now the passive that keep your combo counter from fading it is going to be useless if your counter goes to 0 after every heavy combo attack. How do you plan to rework on that?

Also, not to be mean or anything, but can we get rid of fake Space Mum messages? I'd totally prefer to have Ordis (and his craziness) doing the job right now, or even Teshin, or Darvo, or Maroo, or a mix of all of them. But really, make Ordis the new "Mission Control", we love Ordis.

• Like 1

Could we receive the ability to queue items in the foundrie

As an example: Pnresently, I would have to return within 24 hours to start constructing a secondary Forma. 

If Players could queue a secondary Forma to start constructing the moment the first Forma is completed the second Forma should begin constructing
Although, this would not just apply to only Forma but all items in the Foundry.
Provided that you have additional blueprints to craft or it is a reusable blueprint

providing players with the ability to queue items would offer a greater flexibility in terms of building 
Gears Weapon, Warframes etc.

It's My first Comment here. But i Just want to know, will [Telos Boltace] receive a change in his passive , mostly in the second spin, is so annoying to chase the enemies after you shoved them away from you. First passive is very good, an option would be just to remove at all the second spin's passive. I really like the weapon , but is so difficult to play with it with that passive. also a bit of range wont be bad on Tonfast , is difficult to play with melees in POE when the distance from enemies is insane. Thank You !   ;) And btw , you are doing a great job with the game, keep up!  

What is going to happen to the Life Strike mod with the removal of channeling? It is completely crucial to staying alive with melee in higher levels, will we possibly see it changed to cost energy per heal directly, or simply give flat life steal? If tied to the new heavy attacks that would prove to be an issue in higher levels where it needs to be used every other hit in order to stay alive, which in turn would not allow you to build the combo counter.

• Like 1

Will Archwing be touched up with its movement (controls, floatiness, etc) in preparation for Railjack?

Will there be larger vehicles that Tenno can use like shown in a previous Devstream, and can you find them on the roads in "patrols"?

Edited by Torchman220

To what extend are the melee stats getting buffed to accommodate combo being gone for regular attacks

like are the new stats more equivalent to a 2x combo or a 3x combo and the like 

Melee is the reason I play this game, and it's more fun than its competitors by a very wide margin because of this. (I can't stand gunplay - aiming for headshots is just not my thing, never played with toy guns as a kid, hate playing with guns in games - originally, I avoided Warframe like the plague, because I didn't know anything about the melee, and only saw guns being used).  The very existence of the dual bladed polearms drew me to the game immediately, because so few games include them, or do them justice.

With the current re-design of core melee gameplay systems, I have the following 3 questions/concerns:

(just a note: I've never used "spin2win", nor do I have any mods that would make that efficient)

---------------------------

* Stances and their combos seem geared toward one-on-one battles with enemies roughly the same height as the warframes, despite this being a one-vs-horde game vs variously shaped enemies that sometimes fly or crawl as they come in on attack vectors that melee attack patterns do not reliably intercept. They have never felt good to use (at least the ones I've tried. They'd be great for the warframe version of Street Fighter you're working on, but not the game in general.) (and just going to mention that "Charged attacks" are NEVER useful to me, because enemies move around so much, and we're locked in place while charging.)

Rapidly using quick attacks has always felt more fluid and more efficient than any string of combo attacks - especially polearms, that can hit both flying and crawling enemies, but only during the quick-attack patterns of "Shimmering Blight", and become ruined as a weapon when I try to use melee as my "main" equipped weapon.

As I have faced harder and harder enemies (Finished up between Pluto to the Sacrifice quest since your last devstream post where a majority of this post was copy-pasted from), without the strongest of mods available for my weapons, enemies aren't dying to my melee quick attacks - it's become more like chipping away at mountains with a screwdriver... so I've been relying more and more on Inaros, slowly blinding a group and using finishing moves to kill enemies one by one (btw, we need a separate button for Finishing moves and quick attacks - or much faster finishing moves by default), and it's beginning to be quite clunky and boring (which is better than impossible, but could be a lot more fun!). Stances and their combos do not help in these situations, rather they make them worse most of the time, locking my character into animations in dangerous situations. (I know there's going to be a way added to cancel out of these, which is one good step in the right direction.) At least one of the basic sparring fist style combos ragdolls stronger enemies away, instead of keeping them locked down where I can beat them into submission... now they get their chance to recover, stand back up, and be in a prime position to attack me again - I haven't encountered a single instance in my adventures where I'd want that result, for example.

The question: Are the re-worked stances going to focus on viability in fighting hordes? Are they going to acknowledge the various angles and planes of attack that the enemies take to reach us? Are they going to be effective in Warframe's actual gameplay, and not just look fancy and special?

-------------------------------

* Closely linked to the above: The combo meter and heavy attacks consuming it. Without having the focus school that extends the combo timer, I find the combo meter never really impacting my gameplay (I use Zenurik for the energy instead, because without energy, which frame you're using doesn't matter). I haven't used mods that increase that either, nor have I used mods that capitalize on the combo meter, because I generally don't have a combo meter built up, DESPITE KILLING EVERY ENEMY IN EVERY MISSION WITH MELEE WEAPONS. I move through maps slowly, hunting down every chest, scanning every object, killing a few enemies here, a few there. The combo meter just doesn't work for me. For me, it's not worth investing in (it feels like a game mechanic that benefits those who don't need it - already strong enough to wipe out enemies really fast? Here, kill enemies faster with more power! - it also seems that this mechanic is required for scaling melee damage into the endless missions when enemy armor and HP just becomes crazy and doesn't scale well at all - not a reason to keep in the way it is, but a reason to re-balance scaling of enemies in endless content!). In this regard, I will likely be one of the least impacted melee players in Warframe when your changes go through... I may actually get a power bump, if I start using heavy attacks mixed in with my light attacks, to spend it before it's gone.

The question: Will heavy attacks, that consume this quickly depleted resource, be strong enough to justify investing in the mechanics involved? Will light and heavy attacks need to be mixed into stance combo patterns, forcing you to consume combo meter points to use normal combos? It just doesn't sound like we'll be able to "build up" combo points to spend them on the enemies that need the extra oomph to take out, if we're spending the entire combo meter during normal combos...

---------------------------------

* Channeling. Seems like a good idea. There are lots of mods for it. It's thematically neat. It's got "Cool Factor" going for it... but I could never bring myself to give up mod slots for a conditional part of my frame that isn't always on, rather than buffing stuff that's always a part of the experience. The energy drain that enables Channeling was eating up the resource that made the warframe I had chosen... the warframe I had chosen... without abilities, as I mentioned earlier, it wouldn't really matter which frame I was; Without energy, you're nothing in Warframe. Channeling eating your energy the way it does, and EVEN WORSE WITH MODS, just relegates it to a niche thing to MAYBE play around with some time in the future, for me...  and now that future won't come, because it's being changed... into Blocking only?

No question on this one... just my comments about why channeling failed for me... and insight into how it could be changed to not do what it's doing to hamstring itself.

Channeling could be changed into a sort of spoiler-warframe hybrid/super-charge mode, directly using spoiler-power from the void to amplify not only melee attacks, but all warframe abilities. I don't like spoiler-mode myself (probably because it takes soooooo much focus on focus to make it even passable to use, that I can't convince myself to waste that much time on a mode I don't like to make it into a mode I *might* like at full power at some distant time in the future), so it's not much of a trade-off for me... maybe others would be against this idea if they like spoiler-mode more.

----------------------------------

That's it for now. I hope these concerns are addressed during the stream (melee has been entirely ignored on stream since the dive-attack was introduced, and even the forum thread about it didn't get updated with anything official to reduce my concerns that melee will be "ruined" in several ways, especially since the melee-blocked-by-everything patch that has made it tedious and annoying, and NOT FUN, to melee in some areas.)

• Like 1

How will this new melee system affects weapons like the Sibear and the Sancti Magistar? Will you get rid of things like the 4 second increase status chance of the Sibear on a charge attack and add it as flat status to the weapon (please, this is a crutch so much for this weapon unless you have something else in mind) and what of the Sancti's ability  to heal on a charge attack? Will this now be tied to combo, so higher combo = more damage = more healing applied? What of the Sancti's passive status duration cut, where simply equipping it will decrease the time a frame experiences something like a slash proc, toxic proc or other enemy procs?

Okay, I think I speak for the majority of the community here:

1. What is happening to melee weapon's scaling damage? This is a hefty concern for endgame players; who are feeling more and more disenfranchised with recent changes to core mechanics. What does DE intend to do in order to preserve endgame play? Currently, melee weapons give every single Warframe scaling damage; a necessity for handling endgame enemy EHP. If universally available scaling damage is removed from Warframe, the vast majority of Warframes will no longer be practical for endgame play. This limits player choice similar to how Efficiency limits player choice in ESO: Only the highest KPM frames will be viable for endgame play, and given that a fair amount of the community enjoys Warframe's diversity, limiting our endgame options to a handful of Warframes is a distressing prospect.

Given how melee's scaling damage currently expands the roster of feasible endgame options, what is DE doing with Melee 3.0 to preserve the same level of player choice?

2. Riven Dispositions and stats. Are they going to be adjusted to account for the change in base stats? Also, will there be an attempt to "balance" the stats of our 120+ melee options, or will we still be relegated to picking between the top 10 ludicrously overpowered performers?

3. Weeping Wounds; Blood Rush; Gladiator Set. These are an essential kit for extending melee's scaling damage even further into the endgame; will DE completely neuter these mods, or will they still be as relevant to melee 3.0 as they are in the current meta?

4. Life Strike. Now that channeling is no longer a feature, what is happening to our only reliable form of universal healing?

5. Abilities effected by melee mods/combo counter: How will melee 3.0 effect Landslide, Bladestorm, Whipclaw, Slash Dash, Iron Jab? Many of these abilities depend on combo counter to deal competitive damage in endgame; will combo counter's scaling damage no longer apply to these abilities? If so, what are DE's plans to improve them so that they remain viable in endgame?

Edited by (XB1)Vile Slanders
  • Applause 1

What is going to happen to all the mods/riven mods that have channeling efficency/damage on them. Also will the focus system be reworked with narromon's melee combo counter and zenurik's channeling efficency?

• Like 1

With the changes that Melee 3.0 will bring to Channeling, will there be any changes to Arcane Valor, Arcane Triumph, and Arcane Brave?

Also will there be a change to the Zenurik Focus tree ability Inner Might?

Psyched out of my gourd for the Melee 3.0 update! :satisfied:

-Will gunblades count as one handed weapons for the sake of one handed melee and secondary interaction?

-Will the Pyarana Prime count as a one or two handed weapon, or will that depend on the presence of your ghostly bonus gun?

So many insightful questions posted by everyone - we can't wait for this devstream! 😄

Has there been any major changes to your ideas about the combo counter system since we last heard about melee 3.0? The system discussed made you lose ALL combo accrued once used in a heavy attack, and also does not apply the combo multiplier at all to light attacks. Both points seem to contentious in community discussion, but it's the former that I'm personally more curious about. Either way, looking forward to some remixed melee!

Will daggers ever be set to be held backwards when in melee? It's something that's been on my mind for a while. I realize that holding them like we already do is more practical. But it is an alternative fighting style with 1 or 2 dagger(s).