Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Sword and Shield? Why not Pistol and Shields too?

(XBOX)CopyCatCardinal

Got to fighting a bunch of Grineer with shields, and have been playing some Rainbow Six Siege lately... So why not Riot shields with pistols for secondaries.
EX: The Grineer shield coupled with a Viper, or a Tenno shield coupled with a Lex or Lato. Or even unique shields with unique counterparts.
They could work in a fashion similar to the Sword and Shields, just with more gun. To initiate the blocking aspect you just aim down sights with them. 

I also know we have Volt's riot shields now, but i think it would be still fun to actually have riot shields as a playable class of weaponry. I don't have any idea in regards to designs and what not, but i do believe some of the squishier frames could get some use out of them. 

Additionally, perhaps they would block variable amounts of directional damage. or they could just be an invulnerable hitbox in only the parts that they actually cover you.

I do understand that one of the biggest issues inherently though is animation, and going through for every frame to animate for it could be a huge pain in the ass. 

They would obviously need to be balanced in order to not be god tier compared to everything else, and you should definitely suffer a penalty to range combat when they are equipped, and when you go down, you obviously would only draw the pistol part of it. 

That's... actually really clever, i completely forgot about reflex guard. working when you didn't have the weapon draw. 

I played a lot on console, and just switched to PC, and going back through everything slowly got me into thinking about it, especially when i was fighting early grineer with the shields that on console i used to just shoot through with punch through. 

Love this idea, and the timing is nothing short of perfect, with melee 3.0 around the corner, the shield could work as a single weapon (like the glaive) but automatically equip a pistol alongside it when you equip it. If there was some unique mechanic added in with each shield (since a shield cannot really do any significant damage unless you are Captain America himself), then this could be perfect for the game. For example, a wide shield bash that disarms any enemies it hits, or an elemental shield that can be thrown to cause an explosion and inflict status procs. This shield & pistol idea could work really well in the game.

What about this system:

1) Equip a single pistol

2) Equip sword and shield

3) While aiming with the pistol you will also up your shield and gain some amount of your melee's damage block (which normally is 100%) with all mods for it.

This will also make sword and shield more useful, becude their stances are awful.