Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Devstream #114 Overview!

[DE]Taylor

I'm excited about Melee 3.0, though I do hope they do something about Wall Latching and how melee works with it. Oh and blocking + Attack Claw stances... NO!! REDO IT PLEASE!!! I like gut punching and all but NO!!! Let it be a leaping attack or something. 

Maybe with this new system, Dark-split Sword can get a rework... DO IT!!!!

Dual wielding... I'm seriously hoping I can riot-shield with the the current Sword and shield weapons.

We have barrel physics!! Paracyst can be Warframe's Gravity Gun! Or Mag can throw exploding barrels at enemies!! THINK OF THE POSSIBILITIES!!! 

New Spin2win frame doesn't impress me at all... It's like if Hydroid and Nyx had a baby... and that baby decided it wanted to be a ballerina, nothing wrong with that... but really? Was really WANTING that Star Fall move all the eidolons are using... 

But otherwise I'M SO FRICKIN EXCITED.

From the overview and the clips that actually work (several of them seem to not exist?), I still can't actually tell how this combo meter is supposed to be working now. There's a vague mention of it being connected to heavy attacks still, but seemingly no clarification in the text at least of how that works. The old draft was that it would ONLY apply its multiplier to heavy attacks and that it would possibly reset/consume the combo upon using one. What is it supposed to be working like now?

32 minutes ago, Neightrix said:

Great stuff! I'm hoping the damage buff to melee is at least 3.5x, just so there aren't claims that melee is nerfed and was better when we needed combo. Interested to see what happens with Blood Rush and Weeping Wounds.

I absolutely despise charging abilities as they are currently implemented. It takes multiple seconds just to cast, which is already no bueno on a keyboard. It would be okay if you were merely selecting which version to use by either tapping of holding for 1/4 of a second, but the long charging is just bad. I don't mean any disrespect in saying this, and I know you guys don't have unlimited time to hammer everything out that you'd like, but the "buffs" to Ember seemed superficial and low effort, so I can't see how the proposed change to Tesla would improve player opinion of Vauban in any way. I have seen suggestions for giving Vauban a turret, but if that would be too passive you could strap a couple in Vauban's shoulders and have them passively shoot as a channeled ability.

I agree about the heavy attack. One way to fix it for me would be like a 1.5 second invisibility window. Or 75% damage reduction while doing a heavy attack. Either one would be good in my mind. As soon as fang prime was shown i was in love. The gap closer for the second stance she picked i think should change to a slice at the knees and slice to the throat as you rise from a spin. So you block, hit e, you enter a spinning animation while sliding, mid spin you slice their legs as you rise you complete the spin and slice their head. That would flow beautifuly into the standing combo starter. The flip seemed too akward for me but that is just an idea. I think a lot of weapons will remain where they are but more weapons that are often overlooked will become on par with our current best melee weapons.

I am excited to see how far they take the channeling state and just how much of a buff we will get. I definitely think that while in channeling state attack speed, movement speed and  damage should be increased by 25%. Meaning those channeling mods could extend and add extra buffs while in that state. They mentioned fire i think it should be warframe specific. Volt gets electrified, ember and nezha burn, saryn gets all toxic, khora and harrow become bound in chains, frost gets tiny ice spikes, gara/rhino would look like frost just translucent, chroma also burns, nova loki ash mag excalibur/umbra octavia titania nyx get an energy aura, mirage becomes all sparkley and elegant, etc... Just a thought. maybe a little difficult or too much but i think it would be sick

Can you guys give Revenant a passive where he gets reduced damage to his shields so his 3 is more worthwhile?

His current passive seems... silly to have when you have an ability that can heal you. Also it would give the shield/overshield restore aspect of his kit more purpose

While I'm looking forward to the changes to Heavy melee attacks and the melee attack combos, I am still far from enthusiastic about the proposed changes to the Melee Combo counter.  With the combo counter only affecting Heavy Melee, and not giving any benefit to normal melee attacks, it will be a massive loss of effective damage.  There has been mention of buffing weapons to make up for this loss, but a flat damage increase is not an effective substitute for scaling damage, especially against higher level enemies.  Right now, I can take an appropriately modded melee weapon, and even if the initial attacks aren't effective against an enemy, once the combo has built up, the weapon will be strong enough to be effective.  Higher level enemies just mean that you need to build the combo meter higher.

Aside from normal melee weapons, there are also various Warframe abilities that rely on the Combo counter to buff their damage and maintain viability in higher level missions:

Ash's Blade Storm

Atlas's Landslide

Excalibur's Slash Dash and Exalted Blade

Gara's Shattered Lash

Khora's Whipclaw

Titania's Razorwing

Valkyr's Hysteria

Wukong's Iron Jab and Primal Fury

The loss of scaling damage would cripple the effectiveness of some of these Warframes.  Ash in particular is one of my personal favorites.  Right now, he is a versatile frame that can easily handle Sortie level enemies when properly modded.  Without the scaling from the Combo counter, Bladestorm wouldn't even be able to kill a Grineer Butcher at level 100. (With max Power Strength, Bladestorm's base damage is approximately 6460.  A level 100 Grineer Butcher has an estimated 9,440.36 effective health.)

These are my newest ideas for a Nyx rework:

Passive(Fleeting thought): Nyx is a master of the mind. Enemies have 50% detection range while they´re unaware of Nyx´s location. Every enemy within 20m of Nyx have a 20% accuracy debuff due to the strong psyonic field around Nyx that causes visions on the enemies´s minds (like in cartoons when the character is dizzy)

Explanation: Nyx is a REALLY vulnerable frame and her only tools to survive are to stay away from enemies affected by Chaos or use Absorb. The accuracy debuff would give her a bigger chance to survive in the case an enemy fires at her. It also fits her theme of master of the mind. As explained by many Nyx players, her current passive is detrimental for her Mind Control and Chaos.

1-Mind Control: Your minion does 400% more damage and is granted 20% critc chance with 2,0 multiplier. Your minion can also create a single weak spot similar to Banshee´s Sonar on each enemy that they hit because they know their friends´ weakness (maybe 30% more damage) Damage multiplier scales with power strenght but not critc chance. 

Explanation: Currently Mind Controlled targets are too weak to deal real damage, mostly due to armor and health scalling when compared to our warframe´s health. This should baically make your minion an "elite" version".

Augment Charismatic leadership:   Nyx can mind control up to 5 enemies but the damage buff is reduced to 100% for each minion and new minions (2-5) have 10% reduced duration. So let´s say that you have 30 seconds for the first minion, the second will last 27, the third 24 and so on. Scales with power strenght but not duration

Reason: I wanted to give Nyx a more "reliable and safe" way to get help without being overpowered. It is similar to Nekros ultimate but better in the sense that you can choose which enemy you want but worse damage and durability-wise because it is a first ability.

2- Chaos: Upon death enemies have 20% chance to emit three psychic bolts that seek nearby targets and have 100% radiation proc chance. The radiation effect lasts for 50% of the duration of the ability and the chance of producing bolts is affected by power strenght

Explanation: This would extend the effects of Chaos to some degree. Currently you have to spam the ability to get enemies that approached after you used the ability. Like, you use Chaos on 10 enemies and in less than 10 seconds 5 of them are already dead and 5 new are near you, forcing you to constantly cast Chaos.

Augment for Chaos: No idea for this one, but must be changed since the buff to Chaos eliminates the need for constant casting.

3-Nightmare (New skill): Nyx gathers psyonic energy and causes a 16m radius psionic explosion around her. The explosion knocks every enemy down and applies the "Nightmare" debuff. Affected enemies have reduced accuracy, fire rate, damage and have a chance to be disarmed due to sheer fear. The effects are affected by the distance between Nyx and the enemies. The ability have 3 rings, similar to Equinox´s third ability. Affected by power strenght and there is a set duration. 75 base energy cost. The area of effect follows Nyx after the initial cast, just like Equinox´s third ability.

First ring (closest to Nyx): 20% less accuracy, damage and fire-rate (caps at 50% with power strenght) and 50% chance of getting disarmed if they land a shot on Nyx (not affected by power strenght)

Middle Ring: 15% less accuracy, damage and fire-rate, 20% chance of having their weapon jammed if they land a shot on Nyx (due to fear)

Farthest Ring: 10% less accuracy, damage and fire-rate, 10% chance of fleeing in terror for every second they stand on this ring.

Explanation: This is my version of a debuff for Nyx. It gives mass debuff to many enemies without being too OP. It has always bothered me that Nyx´s abilities never caused terror on the enemies like Nekros´ Terrify. This one was inspired by Nekros´ terrify, Frost´s passive, Nyx´s current passive and Equinox´s third ability.

4-Absorb: Absorbed damage is multiplied by 100/150/200/250% (not affected by power strenght) on explosion and the damage type is dependant on the damage that you receive the most (like Zephyr Tornado). The maximum drain is capped at 15 per second (for comparison Valkyr at 100% hysteria drains 15 per second). 

Explanation: The lack of drain cap really hurts this ability, the magnetic damage type and enemy scalling further reduces this mediocre damage. These changes should make the explosion better.

Augment (Assimilate): You´re able to crouch, stand up and jump but no rolling. I meam, yeah it is a powerful augment since you´re invincible and can fire and attack but mobility sucks without operator. Ivara can roll, jump and crouch while using Prowl. Why Nyx can´t at least jump and crouch/stand up?

5 hours ago, (PS4)Silverback73 said:

Make sure channeling stays viable in some form, please.

Not only is it very lore-cool to channel your Warframe’s power, but it is a legitimate playstyle that I have seen other Tenno use to awesome effect.

Still isn't on the same level as regular melee. It is very lackluster at best. Besides they already showed a WIP of what they are changing channeling into if you read the post, which seems like a much better usage.

It's very good to see some changes coming and I like the wall running idea when I started that was the standard. If it would be possible to keep both the wall running and hopping then I am all for the changes because both are nice.

Vauban needs a lot more touch and his passive also needs to be changed. He needs an armor buff up to 200 what the passive granted in a full size team (4 person regular mission) and his mines, teslas, bastille, vortex needs another changes.

Tesla charged attack improvements sounds cool but still the ability itself is weak to do any moderate damage in further venus. It would be nice if you can combine your teslas and for example 5 tesla connect and turn into a teslaminefield which combine 5 teslas damage and last longer.

Mines overall looks nice but these are not useful in the many type of missions because the enemies are moving away from them. Only in small corridors and regular tilesets work for you in these cases.

Bastille is nice but the problem with it it's duration and the limited amount of target what you can hold on it. That simply needs a longer timeline and on max level more enemies what can hold.

Vortex simply just needs duration and damage scaling buff which start from a better damage. In the past Vauban that vortex was deadly but it was nerfed because of overuse and because it was visually annoying for many and it caused crash in some pc. I think a bit buff can helps this ability.

As passive the majority want to see something what engineers do if you consider Vauban the engineer frame then I could imagine a hoverboard, motorbike, various turrets and devices what he can or make passively. Or add this as an active ability which not replace the current ones but can be used like tesla or the mines.

Also there are a lot more option and feedback what you can use for Vauban so just do it.

Some melee 3.0 Feedback:

Suggestion for directional slam: Make your warframes sort of Push off of void energy to the chosen direction. As it stands it feels like you fly a given way all of a sudden. It adds more of that "warframe factor" u were talking about.

@41:15 Your stance makes you animate into the air but you are technically in ground state in code so you still receive the knock down. Could this be tweaked? Again at @42:02 and here you can see that even Rebecca does not find it to be intuitive.

Also, can my Mios (and whip swords in general) get some love? My combo (when it FIRST came out) started with a whip-drag to get an enemy into melee range. Now I have to charge attack to do it. Can that be the block/engage combo or first attack?

If this isn't seen I'll just make a post 😛

P.S. ALL OF IT IS AWESOME but I think I wanna be a dual wielder!

Vauban and Nyx both need new passives.

In Nyx's case, her passive directly runs counter to her kit.
Mind Control, Chaos and Absorb all rely on the damage output of the enemy in order to maximize their mileage. Not only is her passive random, but by disarming the enemies she controls, Nyx's passive has a chance to weaken her damage output.
Furthermore, it means the domain of Chaos overlaps with Loki's Irradiating Disarm - in the sense that the Venn diagram of the pair is a donut with Chaos in the hole.

Instead, Nyx would do better with a passive that increases the damage dealt to enemies. Perhaps something like increasing headshot damage to enemies near her or her victims?

• While I'm at it, I might suggest something telekinesis-related for Psychic Bolts' replacement, like an effect that can cluster Chaos/Absorb targets or position her Mind Control victim near groups of enemies.

As for Vauban, he gets 12 armor for every Tenno in Range of him. 12.
Here's some napkin math on that:

Spoiler

At 50 armor, regular Vauban has 14.3% mitigation to his health, or an EHP multiplier of 1.17x before shields.

With a full squad he goes up to 87.5 armor, for 22.6% mitigation, or an EHP multiplier of 1.29x before shields - a gain of 12 EHP for every 100 health, or 36 EHP. (Remember, Mesa gets 50 base health for dropping a melee weapon, in addition to her pistol buffs.)

Vauban Prime starts with 100 armor, worth 25% mitigation to his health, or a 1.33x EHP multiplier.

With three allies he goes up to 175 armor, worth 36.8% mitigation, or 1.58x EHP multiplier - a gain of 25 EHP for every 100 health, or 75 EHP.

To my knowledge, the armor increases do not multiply with Steel Fiber, only add a flat amount of armor on top of it. Even if it did, Vauban does not possess enough base armor to justify the addition of Steel Fiber in lieu of other health mods, including Quick Thinking.

That's terrible, and frankly Vauban isn't an armor frame. With his abilities, his specialty is in making sure enemies aren't attacking at all, making the passive a waste on him anyway; if it were on a highly armored, tank specialized frame like Valkyr it might be worthwhile, but not the frame with the second-lowest base armor in the game.

Ironically, in Vauban's case, he would do far better with something more support oriented - even Nyx's current passive. Personally I might recommend recharging ammo to himself and allies within range of him, or something that takes advantage of the rapid multi-hitting effects of his abilities, but there's always room for something more creative given the lack of cohesion within his kit.

Melee 3.0 is looking good, not only the expected weapon stat revisions, but the more fluid, intuitive combo/movement system where you can basically string together your own combos, looks like it will circumvent a lot of the old repetitions in forced animations from the current stance system.

The Gas City remaster has me a bit worried that my framerate will take another hit as it did with the Earth Remaster and the Plains 😕
Any chance of allowing custom resolutions outside of dynamic resolutions? I think I might need to settle for something like 960x540 instead of 1280x720 if I want to play smoothly with 60fps the Plains, Earth and now Gas City. (40fps is the average on those these days, very jumpy too.)
(For that matter I'm still waiting for you guys to separate the effects you've lumped in with Motion Blur and/or Depth of Field, all the similar but distinct blur shaders for invisibility, shockwaves, exhaust ports, etc.)

You should seriously rethink that idea of charging Vauban's tesla. You've tried that before with Ember and let's just say she is dead.

Nobody uses that charging mechanic. For starters, the damage is not enough and the mechanic is awful to use in a fast paced game. If you want to add charging to save that ability, don't bother. Better leave as it is or just buff it.

I think Nyx's 4 (Absorb) should let her move around slowly while she's floating, in the style of Zenyatta's ultimate in Overwatch. It would make the ability feel more interactive by letting players adjust their position to better help their team or set up the explosion.

I also don't think this would affect the Assimilate mod for it much since the mod would still be necessary for her tank playstyle, as only it allows her to move and attack normally while Absorb is active.

Archived