Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Devstream #114 Overview!

[DE]Taylor

15 hours ago, [DE]Taylor said:

Fourth Ability: Killing enthralled enemies with this abilities will cause them to drop pickups that give overshields. Can be combined with his third ability for the ultimate spin to win

Can we keep the original spinning visual and not the one-arm-raise animation?It looked like he is setting up store with 1 arm  up. 

Nyx Rework

I think Nyx should be able to Mind Control multiple targets and Mind Control nullifiers after their bubbles go down, I think increasing mind controlled targets stronger should stay as an augment.  

Chaos needs to be on tier Loki's augmented disarm either by adding a disarm to chaos or making enemies effected by chaos not target Nyx and her allies.

Debuff Ability  this could be a disarm or make enemies more vulnerable to damage.

Absorb is basically fine as is just put assimilate in the exilus slot.

It’s good that they will replace psychic bolt with another ability, although i still use that ability to proc her passive, cause its casting animation is faster than chaos.. please change her passive as well, it’s like a counter to her skills.. We want enemies to fight for us, not dropping their weapon and do nothing..

As for melee 3.0, im excited about that closing the gap thing.. it’s gonna be a new meta, especially with shorter weapon like dagger.. i admit that airborne melee looks cool, but it seems not useful as we only have few flying enemies to fight against.. maybe in the future we will have some new flying enemy so this cool new feature wont be wasted..

Looking forward to the revenant.. looks like he’s gonna be my new favourite frame..

13 hours ago, ShadowExodus said:

Still isn't on the same level as regular melee. It is very lackluster at best. Besides they already showed a WIP of what they are changing channeling into if you read the post, which seems like a much better usage.

I agree.  I just don’t want it gone altogether.

But aren't you guys making vuban too OP? I mean, he's a great, but when it comes to the conclave, he needs a bit of nerfing in it because when someone plays as him, you just find yourself in a situation where all he does is throws the tesla and the fact that you are adding a charge option is just going to make him unbeatable, making it unfair for others too even try defeating one.

But aren't you guys making vuban too OP? I mean, he's a great, but when it comes to the conclave, he needs a bit of nerfing in it because when someone plays as him, you just find yourself in a situation where all he does is throws the tesla and the fact that you are adding a charge option is just going to make him unbeatable, making it unfair for others too even try defeating one.

21 hours ago, [DE]Taylor said:

Other Tidbits

• Looking to replace wall-hopping with wall-running, still working on the animations. It was originally changed to wall-hopping to help remedy issues with wall-running over small bumps. We’re hoping to iron that out and bring back the coolness of 
  • Titania’s Razorwing will no longer take collision damage.
  • We’re reworking our anti-aliasing system for a crisper Warframe experience!   

It was high time this was addressed, entering melee in razorwing with the augment active was most of the time suicidal if in proximity of any obstacle.

When will you start working on drastically improving her quality of life?

- Energy pool: at least 50% more base energy she's a "caster" frame but has nearly the worst base energy of all frames and powers and augments that require continuous recasting;

- Casting time: all her powers cast punishingly slowly, align all casting speeds to those in razorwing mode, and make he r#1, #2 one handed and castable while moving;

- Pixie dust (#1): needs to be self casting when casted unaimed, both for self cleansing from statuses and when in razorwing to refresh Razorwing Blitz buff

- Tribute (#2): better buffs on self and allies instead of debuffs on enemies, current ranges are mediocre and uncompatible with landscapes,

uniform durations and ranges across her various tributes, most have duration or range too short,

mantain current minimum ranges and streght but add the possibility of incrementing them by modding,

revise the numbers, static perchentage debuffs scale badly with enemy level: enemy accuracy can go bejond 100% bypassing tribute effect,

RNG based defenses are bad! specially if enemies need just to take one step back to avoid the effect,

make collecting tribute markers less of a chore, consider that other frames obtain the same benefit of a group of Titania's casting in a single cast

rebalance energy costs: to keep all buffs up Titania needs more than her energy pool using primed flow!

extend tribute effects to razorflies as well, they die too easily for being part of an ultimate ability.

- Lantern (#3): fold it in an alternative use of Pixie Dust and tether enemies afflicted by #1 or #3 at a reasonable distance from the ground, to avoid sending them in  orbit,

- Razorflyes (new #3): make them in their own scalable power and give it interactions with the rest of her kit: #1 + new#3 = current Lantern, #2+new#3 tribute retrieval etc...

- Razorwing (#4): improve inherent vacuum range as it scales down to less than 1,5 m , forcing players to hug the ground to pick drops and energy

improve duration or reduce overall energy cost considering the removal of both razorflies (new#3) and accellerated casting (now a default)

reduce her collisions hitbox to the dimension of her actual model, discrepancies cause embarassing meetings with corners and doorframes

maybe esclude her wings from her damage hitbox: she feels at least 50% bigger than what we see on screen,

remove the massive slowdown she suffers when near any surface, seems to fly trough molasses,

ever seen Antman? wouldn't it make more sense if she had the same knockback on enemies and obstacles than her full scale form?

base flight speed: the augment is somewhat nice,but  it's an extra energy tax, would it kill to improve her base speed by at least 50%?!

if separating razorflies in a different power is asking too much, could we have them invulnerable?

they are a big part of her damage and defense, losing them hurts the power  too much considering how energy inefficent it is.

For love of the Void don't rework her like you did to Ember or Saryn... both times were unsightly messes

19 hours ago, [DE]Taylor said:

Nyx Changes

We are looking at making some requests to Nyx following community feedback: 

• Potentially will be getting rid of Psychic Bolts and replacing it with Chaos.
  • Looking at making a new debuff ability for her 3.
  • Keeping her 4 as-is but with new math!
  • If you have suggestions, post them on the forums!

Psychic bolts is not a problem, people who are suggesting to remove it are not really trying to solve the problem, just evade it. The real problem with Psychic bolts is because it does nothing, nothing at all. The Augment allows it to at least quick stun enemies, but it shouldn't be something obligatory in order for the ability to do something.

And debuffs are great I love them, but I don't know. She'll still fall in oblivion because she is far too focused in CC. I don't know, maybe change the way Chaos works or something? Nyx is a really problematic frame in that her powers are way too focused in one specific function.

My suggestion would be to add some telekinesis to her powers. Since Absorb seems to be her only telekinesis power, why not expand it's use to something greater.

Absorb would work as normal maybe with a new math that provided bigger numbers if ued as an attack. However you could also choose to interrupt absob with one other power, that way all the collected energy would serve another purpose.

Psychic Bolts could become a damage ability in it's normal state, and add debuffs or something else when used with absorb.

Mind controlled enemies could recive a sort of buff or even have it's weapons recive the benefit of you your own weapon's mods, or anything that made them be useful for more than just be a distraction.

Chaos could further represent it's name and cause random effects among the enemies affected by the confusion.

Or maybe none of these, but Absorb does bring many interpretations to her powers.

For revenant, I’m super excited and love his kit with the exception of the mist ability, having his 3rd ability summon vomvalysts that drain his thralls for shields and health would be way more fitting with his vampire/eidolon theme. And additionally I just don’t see why he needs to have an escape ability like the most given his armor and thrall abilities keeping him a bit safer and if he really needs to escape we can just parkour away. 

On 2018-08-03 at 5:46 PM, SortaRandom said:

Would it be possible to simply double the wallhop rate, but lower the vertical "boost" of horizontal wallhops to compensate (so players don't climb upwards too quickly when they're trying to run along a wall)? Basically just our current wallhop mechanics with the same overall movement speed, but with twice as many hops per second so it feels more like running.

Just as an easier-to-program version of wallruns.

I'm a bit worried by this. A couple things bother me:

- Restricting 1/3 of the melee combos to a standstill activation feels wrong, considering that players should always be moving as much as possible. Players will be forced to stand still for a split second whenever they want to activate this combo.
Not to mention-- the only "fine adjustment" options they'll have before attacking is camera rotation. And if the player has the "Align melee attacks to camera" option disabled, even that becomes impossible.
Would it be possible to change this activation to "hold Attack" or "begin with slide attack" or something (or a less restrictive option that I can't think of at the moment), just for the sake of having full control over our movement and aim?

- It seems like every stance will be restricted to 3 linear combos, rather than the "branching" combos of Melee 2.0. I'm not really fond of this... it feels like we have to dedicate ourselves to an entire combo right from the first swing, rather than being able to branch the combos as we attack.
Is there any chance that we'll be able to blend with another combo partway through (e.g. starting with a "Movement input" combo and then finishing up with a "Starting from block" combo by holding Block before attacking), so that the "branching" behaviour doesn't completely disappear? I know that we'll be able to throw charged attacks in between, but that simply ends the combo rather than "branching" into something else.

It was stated in the Greatsword video showing off this aspect that it would work that way so I don’t think we’d have to worry about losing the branching combos.

What worries me might be uninteresting to the majority of people who dont care for the artistic and feel of a weapon (and those woh care only for stat and number progression as fast as possible), but i am concerned about the ''be able to dual wield all secondary weapons with melee'' function. I imagen that it might change before it goes live, but from what i experienced with the Glaive+sidearm combo, the sidearm's reload animation are replaced with a generic reload that doesnt look very appealing.

I am a wierd person who loves reload animations, and if a weapon that have low stats but packs an awesome looking reload animation, then im game, i love it, but this dual wield function, makes me worried that all those animations will be inacessable to see again (And would also negate ALL work that artists have done with the animations).

But be able to toggle that however would be a nice feature.

On 2018-08-03 at 10:20 PM, [DE]Taylor said:

OTHER CHANGES OF NOTE
 All mods and game mechanics that deal with channelling will be repurposed. Except a Dev Workshop with more info as we get closer to release.

🤔 except?  i guess you meant  expect, we all lift together 🤣

Great job, dev team! My two cents: 

1. Melee rework sounds great! The only thing I worry about is having too much forward momentum and missing swings with your weapon. Any melee combo that requires pushing the stick forward often causes you to target enemies beyond the target you originally intended to strike!

Actually, one other thing that I have concerns about is the removal of combos specific to stances. I really liked the different button combinations, the two things that were really problems were the timing windows for button presses being too small to execute certain maneuvers with a pause in them and being locked into the animation which is something that is being addressed, hooray! 

2. Huzzah, more single handed melee weapons joining the dual-wield secondary category!

3. Booben rework! Really he only needed more damage for his Tesla Grenades. Oh, AND his passive should give him a substantial armor increase per ally and have a corresponding visual to go with it; something similar to the effects of the mod Energy Conversion would be nice! A bonus of a flat 100 armor would be terrific and would not turn him into a tank (even with Arcane Guardian maxed he's a squishframe)! 

-Speaking of "squishframes," Ember still needs a tweak to World on Fire, she eats too much energy and has too little range to effectively deal with threats AND have to constantly toggle WoF on and off. She also deals too much damage to low level units, but is put down quickly by high level units. It wouldn't really be an issue if players didn't want to play as their favorite Warframe across all levels of content. As it is now, Ember players are almost encouraged to troll others across the lower end of the Starchart, especially those Tenno who are still new to the game, by playing super aggressively to kill anything. 

-Nyx really needed something other than Psychic Bolts and her #4 really is both underperforming and underwhelming. Her Mind Control was also a little lackluster because simply proccing radiation status on an enemy is more effective. Maybe if she could control up to three targets? A command function would help greatly. 

-Khora also would benefit greatly from a better command function for Venari with the target marked using aim plus the ability button as opposed to not being able to aim and having to press and hold the ability button and then press the button mapped to Venari. (On console) Frankly, the feature of marking targets for Venari is wasted in the chaos! All pets could benefit from an aim and mark feature! Which leads me into:

4. Love the new Doggos! 

5. Parkour! 

6. Really looking forward to the  new Sentient themed Frame! 

7. Looking forward to Marty McFly-ing around Venus! 

I will admit I'm one of the few that will miss Psychic Bolts, but I'm also just super happy Nyx is finally getting tweaked. Then again, I was also sad when they removed Super Jump, so I'm probably just weird. 😅 Plus there's the fact that Super Jump was replaced with Exalted Blade, so here's hoping something along those lines happens here.

Also, LOVING the new look for Gas City! More Bespin is not a bad thing.

There is something I feel is being overlooked massively regarding Nyx. Her Absorb needs to change.

Warframe is a game in which we use our parkour abilities, jumping/running/rolling through various tilesets and now even free roam areas. To me, I can't understand how Nyx still has an ability that completely locks her down. She can't do anything but sit and absorb whilst channeling.

I was hopeful when I saw her augment, Assimilate, come out, as it aimed to remedy the issue. Unfortunately, I don't see how this augment would be enjoyed without swinging a melee with Tempo Royale/Final Harbinger to cover distance (most fun I had with the frame, limited to that). A similar augment, Mesa's Waltz, lets Mesa even roll whilst channeling her Peacemakers! But don't forget its possible to launch yourself in the air, then cast Peacemakers to gain distance whilst channeling too, Nyx completely halts in the air. Also, don't forget Banshee's Resonating Quake was changed so the days of just channeling Sound Quake could be more enjoyable than being forced to stay in one spot, encouraging players to move around their surroundings.

The only other notable part of Assimilate is her other abilities can be cast while channeling Absorb. But remember that Hydroid has that functionality without an augment for his Undertow!

You have to consider how often players need to lock down an area in missions now. The only gamemodes that come to mind are Defense, Infested Salvage, and Interception (also few Ostron Bounties). Then look at Capture, Exterminate, Sabotage, Defection, etc. These nodes require players to move with the enemy/objective and encourage more active play. Absorb in my opinion only encourages a more passive playstyle, the kind where you'd cast it and go grab a drink because there isn't anything else you can do, except channel and absorb.

With an even larger open-world area coming, there's an amazing opportunity to give her an ability that increases her mobility. To put it simply, Nyx Needs to Move. DE, the theme behind Nyx is super interesting and allows for an infinite number of possibilities that could be implemented. I want to propose an ability that gives Nyx better mobility. The K-Drives look awesome, but even on the Plains of Eidolon, there's nothing more than I love using Titania's Razorwing Augment (Razorwing Blitz), letting her zoom through the air without really needing to use an archwing! Why can't we give Nyx something new to let her explore the new terrain?

I propose Absorb become what I'd call "Convergence" (yes I am aware of Convergence Orbs already existing (I encourage you to help with a name if you have a better one)) 

Nyx concentrates intensely, molding telekinetic energy into a physical orb in front of her. Being able to deploy a max of 3 orbs at any given time, they would have two functions:

1. Orbs deployed would act as distractions to enemies and lure their fire, still retaining the focal point of Absorb, and absorb damage dealt to them. After a given time, the orbs would explode, detonating damage in an area in relation to how much damage the individual orb absorbed.
  2. Nyx could choose to interact with 1 of her orbs, pressing the interaction button and mounting the sphere of energy (dismounting if pressed again), gaining increased movement speed and the ability to phase through enemies. While riding the orb, Nyx would be able to cast all of her other abilities. Passing through enemies would open them up to finishers or temporarily stun/confuse them. However, at the end of the duration, the orbs detonation would not absorb damage from enemies, but would explode with damage accumulated from distance traveled on the orb.

I aimed my idea around the idea of eliminating Nyx's static role with Absorb and giving her something more mobile and giving her more freedom to move around the area. The rideable sphere mechanic is a blatant homage to Aang's sphere from Avatar: The Last Airbender, but its application for Nyx's case could work well! Even if the rideable sphere idea is abandoned, I think letting Nyx have more area control and movement with this new 4th ability could open up a new playstyle and new synergies for her kit!

For those who read this far, thank you for reading and taking an interest. I put a lot of thought into this and I want to open more discussion on how Nyx could be less static.

Have a nice day!

-Betsy

Wait - on wallhopping becoming wallrunning again? Does this mean wallhopping is leaving entirely? Or is this an optional replacement? I'd prefer an option, I actually really like the wallhopping, it feels smooth. And it makes sense when going over curved surfaces, the animation sort of indicates your guy is using his hand to keep sticking to the surface. I don't see it looking right if the character is running. What I like about wallhopping is the freedom of control it allows you to move away from the surface at any time, and how it also doubles as a wall jump. I feel like if you bring back axis-locked parkour things are going to feel much less free - I don't want to be locked into a running animation I want to smoothly push off of surfaces and slink along walls as I leap around.

Just watched the dev stream - you guys really consider the wallhop a downgrade? Like visually? Because mechanically it seems way better.

Also I do share concerns with other people about combos being restricted to movements, I was hoping combos would be more strung together and interconnected by use of the second attack button.

It's moments like these that I wish to keep in tact: 

15zqr7r.jpg

i1jj2b.jpg

2n9aooh.jpg

What happens if you don't have this ability? I just can't make successive jumps anymore? Will shorter surfaces just be completely useless now? I need more information!!! I don't want to wallrun, I want to jump off and along walls. Wallhop was basically that.

23 hours ago, WingedCrusade said:

It was stated in the Greatsword video showing off this aspect that it would work that way so I don’t think we’d have to worry about losing the branching combos.

Oh, actually? I must've missed that.

I really hope that's the case!

I just thought of an idea of what to do with Blood rush and weeping wounds, maybe hook them up to how berserker works? like everytime ya hit a crit, bloodrush activates and hikes up your crit, and you can stack up to 3 times? same for weeping wounds except with status procs raising status chance. I do think that this idea will need crit stat balances, both in weapons and in the mod itself. but the good news is that its now decoupled from the combo counter, so you can create new mods to fit the new combo system without worrying about existing mods.

But unless combo counters have another important incentive other than building up a limit break and a heavy, idk why anyone would stray from the consistency blood rush or weeping wounds creates, so i guess in a way they have to be linked, but then we create conflicting goals, whether you want to see those red crits, or do you wanna go super saiyan/pull off a mega heavy attack.

this is a very important message posted by FamilySurricus on Reddit about the designing of the revenant warframe even if the language is harsh it is very important that DE and the community understand this , please DE dont ruin a warframe because your community want something else and act childishly :

level 1

DE doesn't need to see this. Every time one of these posts comes up, I ultimately roll my eyes far into the back of my head.

But, I will say that the Ult is a bit 'eh' and I actually approve of the 'exalted weapon' idea - but the laser-show ult is most certainly a monster of the community's b*tching, which leads me into:

People always go on about "oh, the Eidolons aren't this! They aren't that!" Were you the ones who made the Eidolons? Do you understand their place in the greater story? No, you don't, because you can't even fit together what's already there to think about why Vlad's kit is the way it is - instead you focus on ONE aspect of the fights that you thump to oblivion and beg DE to make a new kit out of when there's no #*!%ing need to waste resources on changing it so drastically, the current one fits just as well.

That whole trend of picking out ONE concept from the Eidolon fights and hyper-focusing it to make a build often doesn't even factor in the why, why do the Eidolons have one ability or the other? Why the stomp attacks? Why the explosive wave of energy that leeches players' health and energy? Why the energy-leeching water on the Plains at night when the Eidolons are out?

Maybe, just f*cking maybe, DE is taking one thing out as inspiration and building a kit around it with a far less derivative pool of ideas, since they made the #*!%ing things, and each and every one of you are just confused because it's not YOUR particular idea, when the fights themselves and the lore all have different and distinct things to them that could be taken for inspiration. Ultimately, nobody knows better about what makes sense in this case than the people who made those fights, and offering alternatives in this case (notice the emphasis) is basically equivalent to slapping the developers in the face and going "oh, I know better!"

Tl;dr: The whining and minor condescension about designing a frame "that doesn't make sense" only makes the people begging (much harder than you, ergo the 'spattering of ideas' comment in your original post) look moronic, when it's clear that the Eidolons - let alone the Sentients - aren't one-trick ponies that only know to smash and blast. If you don't like it, sorry - tough cookies, but that doesn't excuse shouting "this doesn't make sense!" rabidly just because the people whining

Archived