The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Melee 3.0 Feedback on what we saw!

MokutoBunshi

Some melee 3.0 Feedback:

Suggestion for directional slam: Make your warframes sort of Push off of void energy to the chosen direction. As it stands it feels like you fly a given way all of a sudden. It adds more of that "warframe factor" u were talking about. An example is this final fantasy clip:

Spoiler

@1:57

Right before Tifa slams him it feels impactful because she caught her ground by pushing OFF of something.

ALSO

@41:15 Your stance makes you animate into the air but you are technically in ground state in code so you still receive the knock down. Could this be tweaked? Again at @42:02 and here you can see that even Rebecca does not find it to be intuitive.

Also, personal note since you wanted edge cases. Can my Mios (and whip swords in general) get some love? My combo (when it FIRST came out) started with a whip-drag to get an enemy into melee range. Now I have to charge attack to do it. Can that be the block/engage combo or first attack?

P.S. ALL OF IT IS AWESOME but I think I wanna be a dual wielder!

]\'[

Also looks like there's going to be even more feet sliding action since lots of those animations are wired up for specific full body movement with specific movement speed but with players moving so quickly the legs either just slide or don't keep up.

One thing i would like to see os a way to lift things up. With air combos being a thing it would be really good to have the option of lifting things up in the air with an attack, then jump up, mash them up, and end it with a slam that brings them all back down for example. 

If we get directional combos we also need directional attack to move enemies. 

The gap closer combo could be used to launch in the air against lifet enemies (or airborne enemies in general). 

Actually I had an idea about that.

While the melee weapon is active, they could add a melee attack that launches enemies into the air (hotkeyed to back + basic attack, or just repurpose the reload key when the warframe is only holding a melee weapon)

Then you'd use the gap closer (block + basic attack), this (if the crosshair is focused on it) would perform a dash to the enemy in the air

Briefly the warframe and the target would remain close together in the air-- the player would have two options from there:

• a series of basic or heavy attacks
  • or a ground slam that also brings the airborne enemy down, smashing it into the ground

Some warframes could even chain it with abilities of their own.

With Valkyr: jump up, use the rip line to pull an enemy up next to you, do the damage

Edited by Aldrr

seems like some of you have experience about this with other games' melee systems 😛 I would never though of a reason to put enemies in the air (Since ground attack traditionally do more damage!).

Makes sense if you are trying to get the airborn damage reduction though making mods like:

latest?cb=20171007135314

and

latest?cb=20171007135201

useful on things other than Titania and maybe Zypher.

14 hours ago, Aldrr said:

Actually I had an idea about that.

While the melee weapon is active, they could add a melee attack that launches enemies into the air (hotkeyed to back + basic attack, or just repurpose the reload key when the warframe is only holding a melee weapon)

Then you'd use the gap closer (block + basic attack), this (if the crosshair is focused on it) would perform a dash to the enemy in the air

Briefly the warframe and the target would remain close together in the air-- the player would have two options from there:

• a series of basic or heavy attacks
  • or a ground slam that also brings the airborne enemy down, smashing it into the ground

Some warframes could even chain it with abilities of their own.

With Valkyr: jump up, use the rip line to pull an enemy up next to you, do the damage

I've seen a few suggestions that back + basic attack could be the launcher but I was thinking that since block + light attack is a gap closer, then block + heavy attack could be the launcher to keep the input flow nice and smooth.  Gap Close -> Launch -> Gap Close -> Air Combo all just by holding block and alternating L-H-L.  

Either way, we absolutely need a launcher of some sort so we can go full on Tenno May Cry.

Edited by TOGSolid

My feedback as a 99% melee player: (rare use of guns)

Good:
Blocking looked good, and not taking energy was key to it not being a twisted genie wish result.
Multiple air attacks is a major improvement.
I like the idea of the directional slam.
Wielding 2 melee weapons is a great thing that was mentioned but was unable to be shown. (give me a frame that wields 3 melee weapons!)

Bad:
Haven't been able to "use it" myself, so I can't say for a certainty if what I think is "bad" really is "bad"... so holding off for now.
From my understanding, they kept the combo-meter-spent-on-heavy system that sounds terrible to me, and see no likely scenario for it to work well (there are scenarios where it COULD work well, but I HIGHLY doubt they'd go in the direction that produces that result).

Unclear:
Still don't know how powerful this stuff is compared to current. Even to the point of them not using any modded weapons in the demo.

I didn't see (or missed) any mention of how quick attacks will transition to this... if they stay, and still keep what we have for polearms, I'll be OK if the quick attacks will still hit airborne and low to ground enemies. If they ruin that... this whole update will be a failure to me.

"New channeling" was mentioned, but not explained. I hope it works how I think it works, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Current results of information so far: Uneasy foreboding, lack of confidence, fear the one part of the game that makes it playable will be ruined (not talking about any use of spin2win)... so, this stream didn't really boost my expectations really. Almost all of my questions/concerns have not been addressed (I only say "almost" because some were touched on, though not in enough detail to matter).