Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Publicly shaming inconsiderate players?

kavsta

Please note that this is fuming and also being levelheaded at the same time.

I couldn't stand that while I try to help as much as I can when people are in need just like the rest of the community in Warframe. I've mostly come across very polite, considerate and overall helpful players along the way. Most players would read the chat box because it literally stands out during gameplay since the UI is very minimalist.

I came across three utter douchbags while doing the Acolyt Angst quest. Remembering as clearly as possible, it was an excavation mission which they clearly couldn't understand because only I was filling the damn excavators. First excavator done and come the second, they run off as far as possible while it was less than 30m away from each other, the Acolyt comes. At this point, I was protecting the excavator as much as possible since I was the only one left while the other three players were 300-400m away.

The Acolyt spawns by them, defeated her and couldn't care less about anyone else, as long as they got their mods. Couldn't mark, couldn't reply, all they did was rush to extraction. Well above 30s before extracting, I asked them to mark the mod cause clearly I wasn't there! They didn't reply nor did they move away from the extraction site. Moreover, there was a MR23 that was also in the team with me! Upon completing the mission, I turned to "recent players", cursing at each and one them which I'm not suppose to but the rage took over. MR23 told me tough luck! The other MR10 told me that he was going to report me, I can't stop him but I can definitely publicly shame him and his fellow douches become legends of douchbags.

Finished ranting, blown some steam. I'd like to now ask the community, surely you've been victimized by different trolls by heinous evildoers. Do you guys think that it would be a good form of intervention by publicly shaming their names so they can never show their faces and get into a good Clan? I don't know. What would you do?

Just now, kavsta said:

Do you guys think that it would be a good form of intervention by publicly shaming their names so they can never show their faces and get into a good Clan?

Hek no.
This would be a horribly stupid and misguided thing to put into practice.  After all what would stop me from publicly shaming you on the forums/in game if this were permitted?  Its not hard to fabricate the evidence needed (screenshots and such), and I could easily start a witch-hunt that gets you blamed for a ton of things that you never did.

The only thing that giving the ability to "publicly shame" people would do is get a lot of innocent people caught in the crossfire and blamed for things that they were never around for and didn't do.

The "cure" that you're suggesting here is far worse than the minor inconvenience.

I agree with @baldy117 it is best to do them with clan members or friends. 

However, the mission was extraction and they were doing an acolyte. The best thing to do actually would have been to ignore the extractor, find the acolyte, kill it, then go get the excavation done. Of course, they could have marked the mod and it was rude of them not to do that. I will agree. However, it really is best to know what you're getting into before going in. 

Also, no name and shame. Forums look down on that VERY much. 

Edited by DarthBane1

If they're not going to help with the objective, you're not obligated to do it either. You'd be better off just finishing the acolyte first before getting the mission itself done. Yes it might take longer, but it would save you a lot of aggravation from people like this.

The best strategy is to move on and come into terms that you've wasted about 5 minutes of your playing time.

Everyone wishes some form of "justice" when they are wronged, but in such a fast-paced game with dozens of thousands of co-current players you must consider that every system that will try to apply such justice is going to be complex, time-consuming and above all, may lead to abuse. It's just not worth it.

Definitely love you guys, thanks for all the comments and replies. If I'm banned, then you know why lol. Different minds can think multiple simulations and that's why I'd rather ask everyone first. Have a good one guys!

You do know there's a large map in this game, that allows you to see where other players are? If your teammates are running around not where you are, just press M and you know exactly where they are. I hardly waypoint things because most players are too lazy to just move and search for things on their own in the first place. Sending someone hatemail over it just makes me laugh, as most of the items people want you to waypoint are excruciatingly obvious if you just look for them. 

Also, no one forced you to stay with the Excavator. Could've just let it die and go get the mod. 

in a way they were the ones going with a negative behavior, so its kinda understandable, but if you are doing a mission for the acolyte know that other people will take the acolyte as a priority over the normal mission objective, always, also theres some people out there who go very serious about farming and going meta, if you dont want that kind of presure i would advise you to just go with friends or go alone like i do XD

42 minutes ago, kavsta said:

I couldn't stand that while I try to help as much as I can when people are in need just like the rest of the community in Warframe. I've mostly come across very polite, considerate and overall helpful players along the way. Most players would read the chat box because it literally stands out during gameplay since the UI is very minimalist.

I came across three utter douchbags while doing the Acolyt Angst quest. Remembering as clearly as possible, it was an excavation mission which they clearly couldn't understand because only I was filling the damn excavators. First excavator done and come the second, they run off as far as possible while it was less than 30m away from each other, the Acolyt comes. At this point, I was protecting the excavator as much as possible since I was the only one left while the other three players were 300-400m away.

The Acolyt spawns by them, defeated her and couldn't care less about anyone else, as long as they got their mods. Couldn't mark, couldn't reply, all they did was rush to extraction. Well above 30s before extracting, I asked them to mark the mod cause clearly I wasn't there! They didn't reply nor did they move away from the extraction site. Moreover, there was a MR23 that was also in the team with me! Upon completing the mission, I turned to "recent players", cursing at each and one them which I'm not suppose to but the rage took over. MR23 told me tough luck! The other MR10 told me that he was going to report me, I can't stop him but I can definitely publicly shame him and his fellow douches become legends of douchbags.

Finished ranting, blown some steam. I'd like to now ask the community, surely you've been victimized by different trolls by heinous evildoers. Do you guys think that it would be a good form of intervention by publicly shaming their names so they can never show their faces and get into a good Clan? I don't know. What would you do?

I know how you feel because I met a cheap rat like this before, we all spread up to look for acolyte and he spawned near him, he killed him and kept quiet, no marking. Then we asked him "where?", guess what did he reply? He said,: "hahaha you will never find it." I told him he is going to be burnt in hell if hell exists for being such a vicious person. I can never imagine why a human being behaves in such way. He still get his mod if he told us the place but he chose to be a rat. Luckily, in the end, I found the drop and pinged it for others. 

As much as theres this fantasy going on about how wholesome and nice Warframe community is, the reality is that it's just another Online game. And since the conception of online games it's always been a mixed bag in terms of what interactions you're gonna experience. Also, when doing a random mission with a group of random players that you will probably never play with again, there's no incentive to have good sportsmanship or good manners because those are only beneficial to maintain good relationship in the future, and all that is useless when will you probably never meet the person again. At the end of the day everyone's out to get theirs and leave the squad as soon as possible.

Edited by Berdfess

and don't worry about the reports, you can tell the support what had happened if you do get any warning. Pls don't lose hope on Warframe community because of toxic kids, luckily this game is pve and missions are done in chunks rather than progressively, so there will be a lower chance to meet the same rat twice. 😄

Technically completing an excavator wouldn't have improved anything. It just would have increased the enemy spawn level which could have potentially made things more difficult. 

I mean you will eventually need to complete an Excavator to extract but until then it's kinda secondary. Tho the Cryotic would be nice. 

The way the Acolyte spawns work you just need to explore the map until you trigger them and that trigger could be anywhere from a main tile to a corpus broom closet. 

So they where probably pre-occupied with locating the Acolyte trigger. Tho I fully admit not bothering to even mark the mod drop was pretty really lame of them. I know I definitely would have been angry myself.

Definitely don't agree with yelling at them after the match, It was probably cathartic on some level but that doesn't really help anyone and as you covered resulted in giving them the fuel to report you. 

Personally I think it would be nice if DE did the same with The Acolyte Mods as they did with Ayatans and Syndicate medalions to deal with rude people not flagging them. By causing them to automatically become marked on the map when they are picked up. 

1 hour ago, kavsta said:

While shaming does have it's uses, it shouldn't become standard practice for a community as diverse and eclectic as this one. 

The biggest problem with mob justice like this is that it's hard to maintain and enforce a standard of what is appropriate to shame someone for, let alone proving there is justification. 

Here's an example; I'm hosting a game and everything is going fine.  I find an acolyte, kill it and before I can mark it, I disconnect and everyone gets a host migration and the mod is lost.  

From my random teammates, I'm a troll and deserve to be shamed, yeah?

But from me, my nephew just unplugged the modem on accident.  But my team doesn't know that and now I'm being shamed for being a troll.

I'm not saying this is what happened, just an example of how public shaming isn't the best option for correcting behaviour. 

2 minutes ago, MagPrime said:

While shaming does have it's uses, it shouldn't become standard practice for a community as diverse and eclectic as this one. 

The biggest problem with mob justice like this is that it's hard to maintain and enforce a standard of what is appropriate to shame someone for, let alone proving there is justification. 

Here's an example; I'm hosting a game and everything is going fine.  I find an acolyte, kill it and before I can mark it, I disconnect and everyone gets a host migration and the mod is lost.  

From my random teammates, I'm a troll and deserve to be shamed, yeah?

But from me, my nephew just unplugged the modem on accident.  But my team doesn't know that and now I'm being shamed for being a troll.

I'm not saying this is what happened, just an example of how public shaming isn't the best option for correcting behaviour. 

I thought public shaming was a dark ages thing and now we live in a society where someone is innocent before proven guilty by the court of law. It might be just me thinking that a mob of random people who don't know the facts shouldn't have that kind of power.

54 minutes ago, Berdfess said:

I thought public shaming was a dark ages thing and now we live in a society where someone is innocent before proven guilty by the court of law. It might be just me thinking that a mob of random people who don't know the facts shouldn't have that kind of power.

Public shaming is alive and well here in 2018, just look at all the Facebook click bait articles or the stories about trophy hunters who get doxxed.  (It was a dentist most recently, I think, and he lost his business, his family had to move to another state.)

I'm against public shaming and mob justice, mainly because people in groups tend to be malicious idiots when given the right motivation. 

10 minutes ago, MagPrime said:

I'm against public shaming and mob justice, mainly because people in groups tend to be malicious idiots when given the right motivation. 

I think when it comes to group justice any motivation brings out the malicious groups.

To be frank, just largely stay away from missions where the Acolytes appear (which you can check before going in), because 95% of the people that flooded a mission mode containing an Acolyte is only there for that Acolyte, I make it clear in asking if it's say, Excavation or any rotation-based mission, if it's ok to leave after the first rotation.

To another point, if you need to run the map for the rotations, indeed find some people willing to do that through either your friends or the Recruiting tab...Or just wait about ~15 minutes for the acolyte to move on.

7 hours ago, kavsta said:

Do you guys think that it would be a good form of intervention by publicly shaming their names so they can never show their faces and get into a good Clan? I don't know. What would you do?

Never. Ever. This is extremely childish and you should be publicly shamed back for tarnishing another name without full context on the situation.