Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Saving psychic bolts: Nyx rework suggestions & ideas part 1

(XBOX)Slimm qp ReapeR

In devstream 114 they mentioned Nyx getting a rework soon and that psychic bolts was potentially being removed form the kit, making way for a new ability. Though I wouldn’t mind the change by any means, I do feel that the ability can be saved and reimagined into a more useful ability while still having room to give her new ability. 

In this, my MAIN suggestion is to consider MERGING her psychic bolts with mind control, instantly giving us the ability to control MULTIPLE enemies instead of just 1 due to there being several bolts that are cast out at a time. 

While the merging of mind control into her psychic bolts is my MAIN suggestion, an idea for her psychic bolts as a whole would be to give the ability the ivara QUIVER treatment, giving her FOUR ways to utilize her psychic bolts with mind control already being one of the four. I’ll be providing several ideas (mainly gathered from passives or abilities already in her kit or in the game) that can perform to fill the other 3 spots that are left. Remember that these are just ideas not demands and hopefully ideas that inspires other ideas. 

*I also baked her current passive into the psychic bolts so I’ll just provide a new passive i came up with for the sake of being thorough before I mention the ideas for her bolts.

TELEKINETIC DEFENSE (New Passive idea)

When taking 40% or more damage to her health, a telekinetic force field forms around her for 3 seconds, deflecting all incoming projectiles and knocking back enemies who come in contact with it. (Basically a tweaked hybrid of “protection ward” and “retaliation” passives from the vazarin tree in focus 1.0)

Psychic Bolts *ideas*

MIND CONTROL (as stated earlier)

Invade the psyche of multiple enemies simultaneously, commanding them to fight for your cause for a duration.

RELINQUISH(Nyx's current passive turned abilitity)

Targets affected by relinquish bolts will lay down their arms for a duration. Enemies may elect to retrieve their weapons after the ability duration is over.

PACIFY

would work exactly how nyx current pacifying bolts augments does, stunning and confusing affect targets for a duration but without the radiation proc. Pacifying bolts augment would need to be replaced with a new augment. Perhaps irradiating bolts augment that guarantees radiation proc to affected targets.

HYPNOTIZE

Affected targets mindlessly follow nyx (like djinn’s hypnotize)incapable of fighting and weakening their defenses (armor debuff or increase to damage taken while affected) for a duration.

COMATOSE

affected targets will be rendered unconscious (like ivara's sleep arrow & equinox' rest ability) for a duration.

Again, I’ll say that while my MAIN suggestion is to MERGE psychic bolts and mind control for the purpose of controlling MULTIPLE enemies, the idea of psychic bolts also having multiple uses would be a cool way to repurpose the ability. Also keep in mind that with this, nyx STILL has room for a completely new ability to be made. I’ll most likely have a part two to this address my issues and suggestions to improve her absorb ability and possibly chaos.

I must confessed that I would rather they be reworked rather than removed.  But I don't pretend to know what to do to make them worth while. 😐  I have a sinking feeling that the new "Vlad" frame will out shine Nyx by a good margin and that is the way DE wants it.

My idea for fixing or reworking Nyx was by

1. Make mind control debuff an enemy and when that enemy was killed it would transfer to the one who killed the mind controlled enemy and continue on like this until the duration ran out.

2. Making psychic bolts take nyx's passive and give it a 100% rad proc chance and then give nyx a new passive. It would make Psychic bolts and the augment a great panic button.

3. Her chaos. By all means its strong CC, but I thought they could change the augment so that chaos sphere would connect to your mind controlled enemy and they would walk around with a chaos sphere.Just and idea. The other things they could do with chaos is by making it where enemies affected by it no longer attack nyx. It would be great for surviving with a frame that has barely any to speak of without her 4.

4. Absorb. I honestly dont know what they could change about this ability other than giving it more damage or drain less energy. For me its more of my go to in survivals because chaos is somewhat unreliable.

I love Nyx as a frame and she is a powerful frame. Its just that shes become a bit outdated for where the game is now.

Edit: I forgot to bring up the passive. I actually agree with your passive except I think it should be 50% of her health for balancing reasons, but by all means I agree with your idea.

Edited by crazy3125

3 hours ago, crazy3125 said:

My idea for fixing or reworking Nyx was by

1. Make mind control debuff an enemy and when that enemy was killed it would transfer to the one who killed the mind controlled enemy and continue on like this until the duration ran out.

2. Making psychic bolts take nyx's passive and give it a 100% rad proc chance and then give nyx a new passive. It would make Psychic bolts and the augment a great panic button.

3. Her chaos. By all means its strong CC, but I thought they could change the augment so that chaos sphere would connect to your mind controlled enemy and they would walk around with a chaos sphere.Just and idea. The other things they could do with chaos is by making it where enemies affected by it no longer attack nyx. It would be great for surviving with a frame that has barely any to speak of without her 4.

4. Absorb. I honestly dont know what they could change about this ability other than giving it more damage or drain less energy. For me its more of my go to in survivals because chaos is somewhat unreliable.

I love Nyx as a frame and she is a powerful frame. Its just that shes become a bit outdated for where the game is now.

Edit: I forgot to bring up the passive. I actually agree with your passive except I think it should be 50% of her health for balancing reasons, but by all means I agree with your idea.

Yo your idea for your her first ability was an idea I was thinking would be really nice for nekros soul punch rework. Reason being is because I recently rewatched his prime trailer where he soul punched the enemy and they ended up turning into one of his minions. If his soup punch worked the same as your idea I think it would be a lot better than his current 4th ability bc it would scale infinitely. Plus it would look a lot cooler

3 minutes ago, (XB1)Slimm qp ReapeR said:

Yo your idea for your her first ability was an idea I was thinking would be really nice for nekros soul punch rework. Reason being is because I recently rewatched his prime trailer where he soul punched the enemy and they ended up turning into one of his minions. If his soup punch worked the same as your idea I think it would be a lot better than his current 4th ability bc it would scale infinitely. Plus it would look a lot cooler

I came up with the idea due to Nyx's one reason to play her is because of her CC potential. Nekros does need a few small changes to his abilities though and I could see that working on him

I really like your idea of merging the two abilities together, however what if they were separate abilities but had the effects that you talk about. For instance mind control should automatically control a set number of enemies (3 or 5) ? you can toggle it so that they act as (1) defensive: boost shields/body guards take aggro away from you, (2) offensive: they get a damage buff and kill enemies around you faster. in both instances they would follow you around. I also have more suggestions on my post if you would like to read with suggestions of a new ability: https://forums.warframe.com/topic/993777-nyx-rework-suggestions/

Also if kinetic bolts was a separate ability it would be amazing if it was channeled so you can shoot more bolts that carried out random effects to enemies it hits e.g. drops weapons, knock back, confuse. This way it would do some damage and have some crowd control. What do you think? 😄

2 minutes ago, (PS4)JameelB12 said:

I really like your idea of merging the two abilities together, however what if they were separate abilities but had the effects that you talk about. For instance mind control should automatically control a set number of enemies (3 or 5) ? you can toggle it so that they act as (1) defensive: boost shields/body guards take aggro away from you, (2) offensive: they get a damage buff and kill enemies around you faster. in both instances they would follow you around. I also have more suggestions on my post if you would like to read with suggestions of a new ability: https://forums.warframe.com/topic/993777-nyx-rework-suggestions/

Also if kinetic bolts was a separate ability it would be amazing if it was channeled so you can shoot more bolts that carried out random effects to enemies it hits e.g. drops weapons, knock back, confuse. This way it would do some damage and have some crowd control. What do you think? 😄

Im not really a fan of how her kit sometimes works against her. Thats why I wanted to try to give her a chance to use all of her abilities. I had the idea of the debuff transitioning if they were killed to the one they killed to act as an effect of giving a number of enemies controlled without it feeling like a rip off of other characters. I think it would be a great way of giving the ability a way to take consistent agro off of you and onto them without the entire ability going to wait if your controlled enemy died. While I do like you suggestion I would find it better for her kit to work in this way. By all means this is just my opinion and I could be completely wrong about how I think they should rework her without getting rid of psychic bolts. Especially since psychic bolts is extremely useful with her augment.