Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nyx Rework

Kiranicore

So. Im a bit late to adding my opinion on the Nyx rework they brought up, but I thought I would share to help improve her as she has become outdated in the current state of warframe.

Nyx has always been one of my go to frames for survival/defense/ and interception. Due to the fact that most of the time my team can't kill anything an crowd control becomes a necessity. So here are my thoughts on what they should do to rework Nyx and feel free to add your ideas to go with it.

Mind Control: Mind control isn't a horrible ability its just too weak to make good uses of it often. And it also has a terrible augment due to power strength being her dump stat. I think the ability would work better if it debuffed enemies by taking away armor, or shields and make the enemy weaker. When that enemy is killed the power transfers to the enemy that killed the mind controlled enemy and debuff than and it would do this for the entire duration of the mind control.

The other option I thought of was to give the mind controlled enemy a stat buff of all types and make all enemies within a certain radius focus on them.

Psychic Bolts: To be fair to psychic bolts. Its augment is the only reason this ability is useful to me. I don't think the ability should be removed however. My idea was to remove Nyx's passive and give it to Psychic bolts. Also to make the ability more usable. I thought they should also change the augment and give Psychic bolts it as apart of it along side giving it 100% status for radiation. This would make the ability a great panic button to get out of situations.

Chaos: Chaos is arguable one of the best crowd control abilities in the game. I find the augment for it great and the ability itself to be a great way to lock down an area due to any enemy not affected by the ability start fighting the ones who are. My problem with this is that is unreliable for survivability. Enemies can still target you if you use this ability. I was think that any enemy that was targeted by chaos cold no longer attack Nyx directly. Any explosion or stomp ability that happens though would still affect her though. Her augment also could be paired up with Mind control and you can attach the a mini chaos sphere to your mind controlled enemy for 1/4th or 1/5th the duration of your chaos.

Absorb: Absorb is by far one of her strongest abilities due to it giving her an extreme amount of survivability with her augment and getting her drain as low as possible. Due to the fact that enemies damage the safety bubble (as I like to call it) her drain on her energy is often high during long survivals making the ability a way to revive enemies, but nothing more after that. My suggestion would be to make the bubble either drain less as a base, or making the damage of the bubble scale better with the higher level enemies.

Passive: I saw an idea for a passive that sounded like a good way to make up for how squishy of a frame she is. They said that if she took 40% damage to her health she would get a mini field that knocked away projectiles and knocked down any enemy that was near her. While I like the idea of the ability I think the damage should be up to 50-75% for balancing reasons. You cant just have a frame as squishy as her be able to be immortal so often without any risk.

Feel free to leave your ideas down below so we can start a discussion about her without DE messing with what makes Nyx a great frame.

Edited by crazy3125

Imao some of nyx's abilities doesn't really give me the vibes of a mind controlling kinda themed warframe. Take khora for example, both her appearance and abilities fit perfectly in the "I'm gonna whip ya good" kinda theme. For nyx, I would like to see something like a succubus theme going around in her abilities. Below are some examples.

1. Chaos

Chaos is no doubt nyx's best CC ability, but it has been outshined by loki's radial disarm for too long. And the upcoming of Vlad would only push nyx even further down. So I recommend a change like this.

Chaos becomes a channeling ability. While ability is active, enemies within 10 meters range with nyx loses all aggro and slowly walks toward nyx. (sort of like seducing them in a mental way). When ability is deactivated, enemies within 20 meters range falls into chaos and fight each other (just like the old chaos).

2. Psychic bolts 

My feelings for psychic bolts are quite complicated. Personally I don't enjoy this ability because neither the damage nor the utility seemed viable IMAO. But I often see people leaving comments that praises psychic bolts for its slash potential or the augment for psychic bolts. So I think giving it more utility or even synergy should be able to make up for that little damage it deals.

Psychic bolt becomes able to cycle through two functions, and the base stats stays the same.

Enrage : enemies hit by the bolt stops all actions, and runs towards nyx for a short duration.

Confuse : enemies hit by the bolt becomes stunned/confused for a short duration.

Well. I can say that I would prefer chaos stays where it is, but give it a few minor tweaks to make it where chaos is reliable CC. It is a great CC ability, but heavily unreliable due to the fact she can still take agro from unaffected enemies. As for her psychic bolts. There are several ways to make it a better ability. In my personal opinion I think DE doesnt understand that Nyx isnt necessarily a weak frame just an outdated one. My way of fixing psychic bolts was by making it a mini radial disarm. It would give a lot more use to the ability than just a panic button with the augment.

Edited by crazy3125

Having farmed out Nyx P and leveled her, I think her entire kit needs a rework. A good radiation weapon far outshines any of her abilities. Her entire kit is leaden. No wonder she stayed in arsenal, never seeing combat.

Compare to Mag and her mod that jams enemy weapons. This CC simply outshines anything Nxy does atm. Mag’s magnetize is also superior to nyx’s 4.

I'm a big fan of Nyx and play as her a lot so I guess I have a couple of cents to throw on Mind Control here:

Mind Control is, for the most part, actually a pretty good skill, though it could use a few tweaks. As it stands currently, the best use of Mind Control is to take control of enemy support units so you can benefit from their buffs (Eximi, Ancient Healers etc) or spawners so you can create an small army of friendlies (Sniper Crewmen, Hyekka/Drahk Masters etc). This is actually really cool and it's largely the reason why I like to play as Nyx. There are a couple of problems with the ability in practice though, namely:

• Warframe is a highly mobile game. Most of the enemy buffs in the game have extremely short range (generally 10 or so metres). This works for mobs because their AI doesn't have them flying all over the place like teenage space ninjas. If you happen to be a teenage space ninja however, you have to hug your minion or you'll likely lose any benefit from using the ability on them in the first place, leading to loss of enjoyment and potentially frustration in the case when the issue is further compounded by:
  • Enemy AI when Mind Controlled. Minions will, when sighting an enemy, seem to adopt their standard engagement package. This means if your minion is melee based (Ancient Healers I'm looking at you) or simply melee because your very own passive disarmed them, they will charge off into combat and to get any benefit from them.. YOU have to follow THEM. Like a lost puppy. Even if they are not melee based they will still run around willy nilly to find cover and such. So god help you if you happen to be aiming at something in the other direction and you don't see your 90% damage reduction buff buddy run off in Sortie 3.

My proposed change:

An ability wheel (ala Khora's Venari) to set the state of the Minion. I have two states in mind, but the sky's the limit.

• Taunt: Functions essentially (or exactly) the same as Mind Control does now. Could also increase enemies aggression towards this minion. I also think the the innate damage buff proposed in the devstream wouldn't be unreasonable either, or alternatively, an Effective Hit Points buff (health/shields/armour). Or both, since Mind Control only functions on one enemy at a time I don't imagine this being particularly OP and, should it prove a concern, it can be balanced by what the values of those buffs actually are. 
  • Enthral: The minion does not attack and attempts to stay as close as possible to Nyx (or more ideally only attempts to attack if they are close enough to Nyx). It will still use its abilities; such as placing Ratel Spawners as Sniper Crewmen, using Snow Globes as Frost Eximi, Healing Pulses as Ancient Healers and so on and so forth. In the event they cannot path to Nyx or are unable to catch up due to us flying through rooms at something approaching the speed of sound, they should be made to simply teleport somewhere nearby. Like Rescue Targets do. To be fair this teleport should work on Taunt as well, but perhaps at a reduced frequency and greater range leniency. Enthral could also potentially buff some facet of the enemy in some way, although I'm unsure on what really. I was thinking that perhaps it could buff the minions abilities in areas like strength and range but while this would be great for Frost Eximi, the Ancient Healers 90% DR buff doesn't need to be any stronger (range would be good though) and would be useless on spawning enemies. Also imagine it'd be a nightmare to code viability into each enemy type. Anyone have any better ideas?

These changes would hopefully open up more situations in which Mind Control is useful. Switch to Taunt on tough enemies like Gunners, Techs and offensive Eximi like the fire or venomous types when you need to divert some damage or there are simply no support targets you'd like around. If you come across a Ancient Healer or something though, you might want to switch to Enthral

Mind Control Augment:

Not too sure one this yet, but I'm interested in @crazy3125 idea for a base Mind Control. Thoughts as they fall out of my head is it would give Mind Control an TEMPORARY but even greater damage buff and a hefty fire rate buff at the 'cost' of  Mind Control severely reducing EHP (instead of buffing when using Taunt), but when the enemy is killed, they become the new gimp with a renewed buff at, maybe, +half of max duration? Existing duration? Dunno, needs more thinking. Problem is, this would only really be useful if you were planning to exclusively use the Taunt state, so I would suggest an Equinox-like duality to the mod offering different effects depending on which state you have active. If I think of something that could be, I'll come back and edit this ha..

Well thats it for now, I actually have further ideas, on a replacement for Psychic Bolts, a small tweak to Absorb and its augment. Chaos I like more or less as is. I would go into these ideas here and now, but this has actually taken me ages to put together and its getting late. So those will have to come later. Might edit this post.

5 hours ago, (PS4)teacup775 said:

Having farmed out Nyx P and leveled her, I think her entire kit needs a rework. A good radiation weapon far outshines any of her abilities. Her entire kit is leaden. No wonder she stayed in arsenal, never seeing combat.

Compare to Mag and her mod that jams enemy weapons. This CC simply outshines anything Nxy does atm. Mag’s magnetize is also superior to nyx’s 4.

Im going to have to disagree with you with saying any radiation weapon out shines her and that Mag outshines her in CC.

1. You need to get 100% status.

2. The radiation effect does not last as long as Nyx's chaos.
The only frame in the game that can pull off making radiation a viable form of outshining nyx is Loki due to his augment. And Mag and her augment is an immobilize which in some situations having an immobilize is not helpful especially when you need to search for them throughout a map. And lastly. Nyx's 4 is an extremely helpful ability in reviving/camping/survivability and can be used with self damage weapons without killing yourself so often you run out of revives. Its like I said. Its not that she's a bad frame its just that she is outdated for where the game is now.

13 hours ago, crazy3125 said:

Im going to have to disagree with you with saying any radiation weapon out shines her and that Mag outshines her in CC.

1. You need to get 100% status.

2. The radiation effect does not last as long as Nyx's chaos.
The only frame in the game that can pull off making radiation a viable form of outshining nyx is Loki due to his augment. And Mag and her augment is an immobilize which in some situations having an immobilize is not helpful especially when you need to search for them throughout a map. And lastly. Nyx's 4 is an extremely helpful ability in reviving/camping/survivability and can be used with self damage weapons without killing yourself so often you run out of revives. Its like I said. Its not that she's a bad frame its just that she is outdated for where the game is now.

Eh, I use a beam weapon set up for radiation. Enemies die while they shoot each other.

Spova or nidus (most efficient at CC because he controls where enemies are via larva and most efficient “speed enemies” because larva snaps them into a helpless ball).Tenno void walk does revivies, recivery and self damage avoidance.

So to me her kit is just bland except her 1 has some good use. Her 4 is a turn off because stationary doing nothing.

I’d rather have a good Maya with thought lock, ruin, subsequence and convergance (bl2). That was a good kit for a toon. A riff on those skills could be marvelous.

Being late aswell to this party...Nyx is one of if not my favorite frames and is not a weak or bad frame at all she is just outdatet and even more with newer frames introduced to the game and the reveal of Vlad or what he is called doesnt help her at all... nyx has a good kit that only needs tweaks and buffs and a new passive that helps her kit instead of holding her back as the current one does... the passive crazy3125 has suggested sounds very interresting and would indeed be a passive she could make good use of and it makes sense to her.

and yes nyx's kit is a bit bland its not the most exciting set of skills shes has... but she is also from a time where the frames were much more simple and so far nyx is one of the only frames from that time that still keeps up without having recieved any huge changes...

I really hope DE considers what they do to her for a frame like nyx wich has been viable always  it can really be "make or break" 

I think Nyx's kit can stay mostly in its current state with a few modifications:

Psychic bolts target 12-15 enemies (maybe depending on power strength) and now each enemy hit suffers "mind numb." Affected enemies become more susceptible to damage, maybe base 45% up to 75%, mind control, and suffer a 70% accuracy penalty. So after her two her one can control up to 3 enemies. Mind numbness could last 5s to max 10s and have a cool down so it isn't spammed.

chaos does what it currently does but now reduces Nyx's threat level to essentially becoming invisiable until she inflicts 70% health damage to an enemy at which time her threat level quickly rises.

• 2 weeks later...

For a company of only about 250 employees, I think DE is doing an awesome jog. But as far as removing Psychic Bolts, that would ruin her for me. It would be like taking Oberon's Smite away. If anything, making them more useful would encourage people to us them more. They are a little week for the amount of energy you have to use on them. But I do spam them all the time when I use her.